Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
It's pretty great how web development has kept being terrible in new exciting ways for 20 years now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm already exited for HTML 5.1 :allears:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wheany posted:

It's pretty great how web development has kept being terrible in new exciting ways for 20 years now!

If it kept being terrible in the same old ways, then you wouldn't be forced to relearn everything every 4-6 monthsweeks, and where's the fun in that?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sereri posted:

I'm already exited for HTML 5.1 :allears:

"We want to make our site HTML5. Do you do that?"

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Granted, the terrible of web dev ten years ago (when I swore it off) was a hell of a lot worse than the current terrible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't been following Jest since I got disgusted with how slow it was a year or so ago.

Have they managed to make it fast yet? I keep seeing stories come across my feeds about Jest and it makes me want to give it another shot.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't been following Jest since I got disgusted with how slow it was a year or so ago.

Have they managed to make it fast yet? I keep seeing stories come across my feeds about Jest and it makes me want to give it another shot.

Just finished porting a whole bunch of tests over to Jest and it's way, way faster. With the snapshot testing it's also been crazily faster to write tests for components with.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

According to noted Smart Man™ Dan Abramov, it's much faster now.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Video about new React Router 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vur2dAFZ4GE

Audio is a little crackly, but it was interesting. The new router actually looks pretty amazing, and resolves all the stuff I ever had a problem with previous versions. Hooray.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lumpy posted:

Video about new React Router 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vur2dAFZ4GE

Audio is a little crackly, but it was interesting. The new router actually looks pretty amazing, and resolves all the stuff I ever had a problem with previous versions. Hooray.

drat that's great stuff.

I really identify with the feelings he describes about using react-router. It just feels like you're fighting against something.

BTW, here's the docs for v4.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 30, 2016

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Anyone using the Polymer Project? I am getting lost in all of the javascript options and since I don't care about browser compatibility (can tell users, just use Chrome's latest version). Or would skipping Polymer and going straight to web components be an option?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uziel posted:

Anyone using the Polymer Project? I am getting lost in all of the javascript options and since I don't care about browser compatibility (can tell users, just use Chrome's latest version). Or would skipping Polymer and going straight to web components be an option?

I think the real question is, why do you think you need Polymer or web components?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I think the real question is, why do you think you need Polymer or web components?
Ah yes, the good old "your question is not your actual question" haha. In thinking about it, I guess my real question is: is there a front end framework/library/etc that is best suited when you have 100% control over what browser a user has and don't need to care about compatibility? Being that my apps are solely for use on an internal network, I can enforce usage of Chrome and have full control over technology choices as well.

Polymer popped up in a discussion when we were looking at the technology used in one of our company's external customer facing apps so I guess that prompted the question since I've been working my way through react and am toying around with redux and mobx.

Uziel fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 3, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Uziel posted:

Ah yes, the good old "your question is not your actual question" haha. In thinking about it, I guess my real question is: is there a front end framework/library/etc that is best suited when you have 100% control over what browser a user has and don't need to care about compatibility? Being that my apps are solely for use on an internal network, I can enforce usage of Chrome and have full control over technology choices as well.

Polymer popped up in a discussion so I guess that prompted the question since I've been working my way through react and am toying around with redux and mobx.

Are you talking "makes things look good" type of library, a "makes things easy to code", or a "does both at the same time"? My guess is the first, but I'm not sure.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Are you talking "makes things look good" type of library, a "makes things easy to code", or a "does both at the same time"? My guess is the first, but I'm not sure.
Ugh, like all of them. We are using ext.net at the moment and making heavy usage of the calendar control. Aside from the CRUD BS for config and reporting, its two SPAs that feed into each other. One is a scheduling application for managing ~5000 technicians, the other is middleware between those tech schedules and a billing system so its lots of dynamically generated controls and values based on config and billing system info. It's currently done in ASP.NET Webform so its performance is awful and I want to redo it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Uziel posted:

Polymer popped up in a discussion when we were looking at the technology used in one of our company's external customer facing apps so I guess that prompted the question since I've been working my way through react and am toying around with redux and mobx.

If you can enforce the latest version of Chrome, any of the next gen SPA frameworks will be fine (Angular 2, Aurelia, React). Your decision will likely come down to personal preference for how they feel. I'd try doing some basic tutorials on each of them and see how you like each one.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This is how I feel reading this thread sometimes. :(

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Read that this morning and had the exact same thought.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Godammit I can't use Gulp anymore? The gently caress is webpack.

Learning JS is dumb :(

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ddiddles posted:

Godammit I can't use Gulp anymore? The gently caress is webpack.

Learning JS is dumb :(

No, you can use gulp.... to use webpack... :banjo:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Use whatever makes you happy & helps you get work done, don't worry about it too much.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I thought using React would solve all my spaghetti code problems and everything would be glorious and clean and pure. Turns out you can take the man out of the spaghetti but you can't take the spaghetti out of the man. At least the pasta is 200% easier to write now.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
"That’s exactly why you hear me push back when I hear you mention another library!!! ;-)" My project's senior architect in response to that piece.

To be fair, it's infinitely easier now to write up an Aurelia application that it was to jury rig an SPA with jQuery as I had to do in my last project. It's a horrible, terrible adventure learning all these tools and making some sense out of it all, but once the hard work is done, productivity improves.

I found that being overwhelmed by choice was the worst part of the process. The memories of the SystemJS/Webpack/RequireJS arguments I had with myself keep me awake at night.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've had to revert to jquery in my new job (among other special horrors), and I spend most of the day thinking to myself how much easier it would be in angular.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm actually pretty pleased with the state of the js right now, with the one huge exception being my lack of meaningful integration testing, what are you goons using?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

I'm actually pretty pleased with the state of the js right now, with the one huge exception being my lack of meaningful integration testing, what are you goons using?

I get to a point when I'm very pleased... then Webpack 2.0 and react-router 4.0 come out. Then I fight the "I have to be current" monster who lives inside of me who can't be happy knowing that my stuff works great and will continue to work great even if some of the libraries are *gasp* several weeks old...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm in the middle of learning C#/.net/MVC/EntityFramework/jQuery for work and... it's making me wish I could just do everything in Node and JS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I try to live by a policy wherein I don't really worry about upgrading my tooling and libraries but once a year or so.

I've got a frontend-tooling-and-libraries repo that contains my complete setup with my commonly used libraries. It has webpack all configured as well as package.json, eslint, blah blah blah. package.json has library versions pinned to the major version.

Then once in a blue moon I'll revisit it all. Of course it usually takes a couple days to iron out everything that has changed.

I've actually been working on updating it over the past week or so.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Does anyone have experience using Elm in a real project?

It's the latest stop in my functional programming vision quest (after Haskell and before Elixir), and I like a lot of what it does, but I'm also wondering how practical it is to use and maintain an Elm project day-to-day.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I may have asked this before:
How many of you work in a design firm type of thing, where you're constantly making new/updated sites for a variety of clients
Vs
Working for a company and only updating their site(s)?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lumpy posted:

some of the libraries are *gasp* several weeks old...
:barf:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

I wanted to try React with TypeScript and followed the tutorial here https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html
Using that project as a base, I got my toy project to a state where it almost Just Works when you run npm install and then webpack

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

will continue to work great even if some of the libraries are *gasp* several weeks old...
While I really enjoy your stories about the old days, this is the modern front-end development thread.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

The Merkinman posted:

I may have asked this before:
How many of you work in a design firm type of thing, where you're constantly making new/updated sites for a variety of clients
Vs
Working for a company and only updating their site(s)?

I work for a company, but it's large enough to have several different departments with unique goals and projects. It's all for the company in the end, but it feels like doing work for a handful of regular clients.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wheany posted:

I wanted to try React with TypeScript and followed the tutorial here https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html
Using that project as a base, I got my toy project to a state where it almost Just Works when you run npm install and then webpack

Part of the point, though, is that you're already way beyond the knowledge of that (hypothetical) guy just because you know to look up TypeScript.

Good link, BTW

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

After a year's hiatus doing backend and big data stuff, I'm back to poo poo up this thread - one of my first projects is untangling a page that contains jQuery, Angular 1, and React. Praise Javascript!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Latest State of JS survey results now available.

http://stateofjs.com/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have a less question.

code:
ul{
	li{
		&:last-child{
			border-left: @gray-border;
		}
	}
}
Why is @gray-border being applied to every li in the ul?

dawio
Jun 1, 2004

huhu posted:

No obvious reason. Something else must be overriding the style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

huhu posted:

I have a less question.

code:

ul{
	li{
		&:last-child{
			border-left: @gray-border;
		}
	}
}

Can you post the outputted CSS?