Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Pence is the perfect gop candidate: dismiss fact and lie without any sign of remorse.

Kaine flailed around and missed the mark a lot.

Sort of like Romney v Obama part one.

However, the big however, Pence did not defend Trump at all. In fact, Pence totally outclassed Trump's performance so much that apparently Trump's pissy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Barbe Rouge posted:

How? I think he fails every single R purity test you can think of. All he does is dogwhistle and rile up the base.

Don't contradict yourself.

Edit: to not be a dick: the GOP is dog whistle and hatred now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Romney Strat works a lot better when one of the things you lie about ISN'T the top of the ticket's record.

The point of a VP is to be someone who can give a (slight, because they're still VP) boost in a swing state and who gets along really well with the top of the ticket. Pence is governor of a solid R state and is eager to have nothing to do with Trump, who hates him.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

This. The GOP has rejected the religious right as a bloc because they just aren't large enough anymore, so all they have left is spite towards, well, everything. Pence gives them red meat and targets.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So this is interesting - Libertarian VP Candidate Bill Weld gives up, will focus on preventing Trump presidency

quote:

VP candidate Bill Weld told the Boston Globe that he plans to focus exclusively on attacking Donald Trump for the remainder of the campaign – essentially admitting that running mate Gary Johnson can not become president.

Wonder if he'll drop ticket too?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Barbe Rouge posted:

How? I think he fails every single R purity test you can think of. All he does is dogwhistle and rile up the base.

Racism is the most important purity test. :ssh:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I didn't express myself well, I meant that he's pretty much thrown away the dogwhistle. The others at least try to couch their racism and all other isms into nicer sounding words.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Night10194 posted:

The Romney Strat works a lot better when one of the things you lie about ISN'T the top of the ticket's record.

The point of a VP is to be someone who can give a (slight, because they're still VP) boost in a swing state and who gets along really well with the top of the ticket. Pence is governor of a solid R state and is eager to have nothing to do with Trump, who hates him.

Picking Pence was all about getting the reluctant Rs and Dump Trumps to come home and based on Trump's polling that has mostly been accomplished. It might be Pence wasn't even necessary to do it though.

Saw this coming when he went and said Clinton's the most qualified candidate in the race. Hopefully this'll siphon some more votes from Johnson into not voting or Clinton.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even a libertarian sees something more important than spoiling and scoring dumb political points?!? What a time to be alive.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bill Weld is really more of an old school Republican who was talked into the Libertarian ticket. He was put on the ticket (not misguidedly) because the Libs figured that now if ever was their year and putting an actual politician with experience would help.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/28/the-libertarian-partys-vice-presidential

It just didn't help anywhere near enough.

Edit: Just checked and Weld beat some proper yahoo to the slot in the Libertarian convention by a very thin margin, too.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 5, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Even a libertarian sees something more important than spoiling and scoring dumb political points?!? What a time to be alive.

Bbbbbut matching federal funding!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Barbe Rouge posted:

I didn't express myself well, I meant that he's pretty much thrown away the dogwhistle. The others at least try to couch their racism and all other isms into nicer sounding words.

Ahhhh that makes sense now. Trump's the next form of the gop. Hilarious since he's actually a con man.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/783477762036232193

I didn't even notice this last night, but seriously?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The largest share of the GOP base is motivated by bigotry. Trump won the nomination because he openly offered bigotry instead of hinting at it, as has been the GOP tradition since 1968.

The religious fanatic wing of the party has ideological purity tests, but there aren't enough of them to control the party and they heavily overlap with the hardcore bigots, so Trump siphoned off many their votes too.

The business scum wing of the party has ideological purity tests too, but while they control the money they don't represent enough votes to directly control their destiny. Trump's protectionist rhetoric is heresy to the business wing, but the GOP base itself gives no fucks about free trade orthodoxy, and only hates taxes and welfare when they help minorities.

Everyone involved at least implicitly acknowledge that bigotry is the linchpin of the whole party, so they are afraid to attack Trump too hard over it because to do so would be to attack the core of the modern GOP itself.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
LATimes is T+4 again. That thing has not moved from Trump +4-5 in 10 days.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

nachos posted:

Perhaps it has reached a meta state?

Also, if the FYGM business wing of the gop had any power left with the base we'd have Jeb! v Hillary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm sure the business wing is still under the delusion they can control the Tea Party/Trump to do everything they want.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nachos posted:

It will still be T+4 the day after Hillary's inauguration the way this is going

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Antti posted:

Bill Weld is really more of an old school Republican who was talked into the Libertarian ticket. He was put on the ticket (not misguidedly) because the Libs figured that now if ever was their year and putting an actual politician with experience would help.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/28/the-libertarian-partys-vice-presidential

It just didn't help anywhere near enough.

Edit: Just checked and Weld beat some proper yahoo to the slot in the Libertarian convention by a very thin margin, too.

Correct. The dancing fat man with the Nazi tattoos at the Libertarian convention was protesting picking Weld, who was a Republican the previous week, over some total lunatic

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Correct. The dancing fat man with the Nazi tattoos at the Libertarian convention was protesting picking Weld, who was a Republican the previous week, over some total lunatic

By dancing fat man, do you mean the candidate who stripped? I don't know if I know all the possible dancing Libertarians.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I didn't bother watching the VP debate but from what people are saying it sounds like Kaine was thrown off by Pence lying a ton. That's frustrating since by now you'd think establishment Democrats would go into everything assuming the worst of their opponents and plan for Romney style repeat lies. I would think the VP debate is going to be meaningless either way but it still irks me to be unprepared for that strategy.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

he had nazi tats?

lmao even when libertarians do something funny, they go and gently caress it up

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Instant Sunrise posted:

i can't believe tenementfunster predicted the birther movement
haahahahaha i'm the best

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Radish posted:

I didn't bother watching the VP debate but from what people are saying it sounds like Kaine was thrown off by Pence lying a ton. That's frustrating since by now you'd think establishment Democrats would go into everything assuming the worst of their opponents and plan for Romney style repeat lies. I would think the VP debate is going to be meaningless either way but it still irks me to be unprepared for that strategy.

Watching it was frustrating, but I think the overall strategy was to get Pence to lie on camera so they could run attack ads where he's like "Trump never said that" *insert clip of Trump saying that*.

Pence's weird, hushed, oh gee guys-voice irritated the poo poo out of me.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Radish posted:

It's more that he didn't pick the poster's pet lie to rebutt. Other people are annoyed at his tone. That he kept talking over Pence and the moderator to point out lies because there just wasn't time to get to them all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PenguinKnight posted:

he had nazi tats?

Iron cross on his fat, flabby arm.

I wish I didn't know that. But that horror is burned in my brain.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WHAT IS WITH THIS YEAR!? :psyduck:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah if this is some larger strategy to flub a debate that doesn't really matter in order to create a larger narrative around the Hillary campaign at large that's really cool but I think it's more likely not the case. I guess we'll see what happens but I think debate two is what everyone is already getting excited for. In a normal election Pence doing unexpectedly well would probably be really great but when Trump is around he really steals the spotlight no matter what is going on.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/783583449378545664

:rolleyes:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad the Trumps like to keep these stories in the news.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

he had nazi tats?

Yeah, pretty much any prominent libertarian who isn't directly bankrolled by the Kochs like Johnson is has a 90%+ chance of having a white supremacist group tattoo in my experience.

The reason that eroding Libertarian support seems to be helping Clinton more than Trump is because all the hard core crazies are all aboard the Trump train, whereas Johnson proving himself to be a huge clown was probably the last straw for people who want to believe in the lie of conservative economics without voting for idiots and monsters

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Grouchio posted:

WHAT IS WITH THIS YEAR!? :psyduck:

Jeezum crow :stare: stay safe, everyone.

Bad thought exercise: I wonder what would happen voting-wise if a really bad hurricane hit Florida November 6th

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

edrith posted:

Bad thought exercise: I wonder what would happen voting-wise if a really bad hurricane hit Florida November 6th
I'm pretty sure by Florida law Rick Scott becomes God-Emperor

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
So are hurricanes in election years the result of some kind of curse or what?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

metachronos posted:

Pence's weird, hushed, oh gee guys-voice irritated the poo poo out of me.

I'd never seen him speak before and I was struck by how he's a more obviously disingenuous concern troll than Ted Cruz.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

lozzle posted:

So are hurricanes in election years the result of some kind of curse or what?

the gods want to destroy Mar-a-Lago

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yougov polls are out:

MI +5
CO +5
NH +4
WI +3
NC +2
FL +2
PA +2
NV +2
IA +1
OH +1
GA TIE

Those are all Clinton leads. How many of those MUST Trump win to have a path?

Also:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/783647533612539904

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

edrith posted:

Why the 6th specifically? Would probably be worse on the 8th.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
#believeinblueGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

Why the 6th specifically? Would probably be worse on the 8th.

6th 7th 8th, whatever, just a really big storm hitting hard within 72 hours of the polls closing

• Locked thread