Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Virtually every single Benson I have the misfortune of getting on my team is a loving retard. What's that? Enemy team has a Fubuki (or more than one)? Better not bother to try and hunt them or screen the battleships; no we're just going to gently caress off and do anything other than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Finally after slaving away in the Karlsruhe, I have unlocked koingsberg. Hopefully this will be the big relative upgrade everyone says it is

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Up to rank 10 already. The Atago is a monster when stealth fit. 5-2 today, top damage in one loss (dreadnought, fireproof, high caliber), second in the other. So overall went from rank 12 to 10 in 7 battles. Looks like you need around 45 'excess' wins from the star floor at tier 13. It'd be a somewhat rough grind if this weren't the most fun I've had playing the game in a long time, plus making 300k+/battle. Assuming you can manage a 60-40 win rate it's still something like 100 ranked battles.

The underrated thing about the Atago is you can just bail out if your team implodes and spam torpedoes and HE all over while fleeing to try and get top damage.

Velius fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 4, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really need to get my Atago capt to CE. I'll probably run my Tirpitz with the AFT build it has and just brawl to victory

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Velius posted:

Up to rank 10 already. The Atago is a monster when stealth fit. 5-2 today, top damage in one loss (dreadnought, fireproof, high caliber), second in the other. So overall went from rank 12 to 10 in 7 battles. Looks like you need around 45 'excess' wins from the star floor at tier 13. It'd be a somewhat rough grind if this weren't the most fun I've had playing the game in a long time, plus making 300k+/battle. Assuming you can manage a 60-40 win rate it's still something like 100 ranked battles.

The underrated thing about the Atago is you can just bail out if your team implodes and spam torpedoes and HE all over while fleeing to try and get top damage.

What IS the stealth fit for Atago? I've got the concealment modification and Atago Paint, but I'm still drastically underskilled in my captain to get the final skill to increase stealth. Is there something else I'm not considering, or do I have to wait to take it up? (And what's the ideal playstyle for Stealth Atago?)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

No, that wasn't bullshit at all, WG. Just start me visible and in range of the entire enemy team, and put me in open water with not a single terrain feature anywhere nearby. Oh, and the very first hit from a Kutzuhov sets me on fire, because why the hell not. And of course it was a poo poo team too, so a lost star with not a single thing I could do about it.

gently caress you, WG, and your utter poo poo management and QC of Ranked.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 4, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ranked spawns are quite bad. Especially on Trident.

Any battleship that spawns forward will be spotted during the countdown.

Cobbsprite posted:

What IS the stealth fit for Atago? I've got the concealment modification and Atago Paint, but I'm still drastically underskilled in my captain to get the final skill to increase stealth. Is there something else I'm not considering, or do I have to wait to take it up? (And what's the ideal playstyle for Stealth Atago?)

Concealment Expert is the only thing you have left to complete the build. At 9.1km concealment, you can stealth fire at 14.4km.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Lord Koth posted:

No, that wasn't bullshit at all, WG. Just start me visible and in range of the entire enemy team, and put me in open water with not a single terrain feature anywhere nearby. Oh, and the very first hit from a Kutzuhov sets me on fire, because why the hell not. And of course it was a poo poo team too, so a lost star with not a single thing I could do about it.

gently caress you, WG, and your utter poo poo management and QC of Ranked.

The same thing happen to me in my New Mexico and the Fuso next to me yesterday. The Fuso was spotted at start and the enemy DD spotted me 30 seconds later. Yeah that was real fun, and not surprising at all that my team lost after losing two BB's right at the start like that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

MikeC posted:

Finally after slaving away in the Karlsruhe, I have unlocked koingsberg. Hopefully this will be the big relative upgrade everyone says it is

Keep in mind that the step up isn't as prenounced as it used to be because of the MM changes. Your Karlsruhe is a poo poo T4, but at least it is only seeing T5 ships at worst. The Konigsberg is an awesome T5, but it is regularly seeing T7, and no T5 bar IJN DDs can make that jump painlessly.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Heartcatch posted:

Concealment Expert is the only thing you have left to complete the build. At 9.1km concealment, you can stealth fire at 14.4km.

I don't actually try and stay in that 14.4 to 15 km envelope. Being stealthy just gives you so much flexibility to make up for the whole having citadels thing. When you get an 8 destroyer round you can move in with them and engage at a favorable range. Battleships everywhere? Stay around 11 km and use your cloak of invisibility to engage only after your target gives up and shoots someone else. Just popping in and out of visibility you'll frustrate battleships that take the time to aim only to have you vanish.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

I don't actually try and stay in that 14.4 to 15 km envelope. Being stealthy just gives you so much flexibility to make up for the whole having citadels thing. When you get an 8 destroyer round you can move in with them and engage at a favorable range. Battleships everywhere? Stay around 11 km and use your cloak of invisibility to engage only after your target gives up and shoots someone else. Just popping in and out of visibility you'll frustrate battleships that take the time to aim only to have you vanish.

This is something I've been guilty of in Zao, being too cautious and trying to always be stealth firing, and I've only recently started to correct myself. The irony is, the Zao is at least the second toughest T10 cruiser behind Hindenburg. I've bounced some serious bullshit of it when even moderately angled. The other thing ofc being that you need to be close to use its tactical nuke torpedos.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Amagi is a worse brawler than Nagato, so the "better secondaries" issue is irrelevant; also, it having better secondaries is debateable in the first place. You have very slightly more secondary guns but they lose 0.5 km range, which hurts quite a bit. Amagi also has significantly less side armor than Nagato, which is what you want in close range brawls - not that Nagato has great side armor either.

Well I didn't say that it was a better brawler than the Nagato, just that the secondaries are better. You get more of the HE-flinging DP guns that start fires, and the 500m range difference matters less when you're faster and can more easily dictate the range. The ship still does its best work at medium range but if you have to charge someone down, getting more fires started is very nice.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

kaesarsosei posted:

This is something I've been guilty of in Zao, being too cautious and trying to always be stealth firing, and I've only recently started to correct myself. The irony is, the Zao is at least the second toughest T10 cruiser behind Hindenburg. I've bounced some serious bullshit of it when even moderately angled. The other thing ofc being that you need to be close to use its tactical nuke torpedos.

But when you do get to use those torpedoes, it's glorious. The sheer panic of some poor Yamato driver seeing 10 of those things is a sight to behold.

On ranked, I don't have the time or energy to grind a lot of games, of my three last night two wins, one loss (second place so I lost a star) and I ended where I started. Squee. :smith:

Some pub teams aren't that bad, coordinating and fighting, but some, Holy Odin they are so terrible. The loss I had yesterday the team was so horribly pathetic it was only me in a Bayern and some Cleveland who did anything. I've almost unlocked the Gneisenau, but I'll probably hold on to the Bayern until I grind my way to the Tier 8 matches. Having a 15 point captain with manual secondaries is a help. Also, I have a 15 point Atago captain so I'll probably run that, Tirpitz, or Benson.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Heartcatch posted:

Ranked spawns are quite bad. Especially on Trident.

I had an enemy Fuso spawn IN my area the other day. Like, 5 km away. My team just annihilated him.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Its probably quite spergy but I find it hard to motivate myself to play ships when I don't have a goal to unlock. So my next goal is to get an 18 point captain in a Hindenburg with AFT, DE and Manual AA. This I believe will make it the best AA ship possible in the game and also quite possibly the best fire-starting ship in the game (both the Roon and Hindenburg are very underrated in this regard). The AA is actually not overkill because I run Hydro instead of Def Fire. This captain will double up in my Tirpitz and Manual AA is very good on German BBs as well, plus CV captains like to target Tirpitz as they (rightly) see them as easier targets than Bismarck or North Carolina.

The reason I don't value CE as much on the Hindenburg is because it can never stealth fire anyway and is far too clumsy to be trying to mess around islands like a Des Moines. And unlike the Moskva, it can take a hit or two to its side and not vanish in a mushroom cloud.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Velius posted:

I wouldn't recommend stealth firing in the Atago at all times either. Flickering in and out of vision and abusing battleship reload is one of the best advantages of any ship with low detection. However, being able to sit in the open ocean and repeatedly shoot an oblivious driver without ever being spotted is certainly a unique experience that everyone should try once. :haw:

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
I'm at rank 10 with 82% wr. I wish random battle was 7 vs 7.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, the russian destroyers with their relatively short-ranged torpedoes sure are a change of pace from the japanese ones. But when it does work out, it's basically the raddest poo poo:

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnequaledExaltedGoat.webm

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Rolled on up to Rank 12. 8 wins, 1 loss. Only really got carried once, but I did still pull a lot of aggro in my New Orleans, and my only loss was in the New Orleans as well, but no star lost because somehow I got top XP with no caps and 27k damage. Oh right, because pubbies are loving trash at this game sometimes.

I should retrain my Shimakaze captain to the Fubuki, but :effort:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I wish I could complain about pubbies being trash, but I am also trash if I am in anything but a CV. I can get by most games in a BB, but anything else and I'm just fodder.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

5 losses in the Konig in a row, all but one in the top spot, three of which were T7 matches (Two with 6 T7s, one with 3 - also the only one I didn't actually place first in; still finished top 3). Stop giving me utter trash teams you piece of poo poo MM. Hell, in one of the T7 matches not a single one of the top 4 slots was one of the T7s. Getting the utter trash every single game and never seeing them on the other side is complete bullshit. T5 battleships should not be grabbing the top goddamn slot in double uptiered battles; especially not multiple times in a row.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I was just in a match where a Konig driving in a straight line got whacked by torpedoes from an enemy Konigsberg, that then turned 180 degrees (in full view of our team) and torped a Colorado that sailed in a straight line through the exact same spot.

Jesus Christ. I'm not good, but...drat.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

44 games later and i've gotten to rank 10

atago and bismarck are basically all that anyone should queue in

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I play ranked in a North Carolina that doesn't have the upgraded hull yet. I have about 50-50 WR so far at rank 14-15. Maybe the hull will help (it won't since I'm trash) but I wish I had a tier 8 DD already since the torpedo spreads on those things are amazing.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kaesarsosei posted:

Keep in mind that the step up isn't as prenounced as it used to be because of the MM changes. Your Karlsruhe is a poo poo T4, but at least it is only seeing T5 ships at worst. The Konigsberg is an awesome T5, but it is regularly seeing T7, and no T5 bar IJN DDs can make that jump painlessly.

Yea I saw that in my first game. But the difference is still night and day. I feel relatively faster and harder to hit compared to the field and I can actually stand at range and still deal damage. The stupid Karlushe seemed to have 0 relative advantages to its opponents. In fact it felt like it was simply inferior in every aspect against all my opponents except for rate of fire.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

44 games later and i've gotten to rank 10

atago and bismarck are basically all that anyone should queue in

I've been terrorizing pretty well in my Fubuki. Its like people forgot that torpedoes exist in Ranked games... especially hostile DDs.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Yeah I had a rough night too in randoms, seemed like by the time I was actually in engagement range my team would already be down 3. Had a game where the carrier on my side was incredibly bad - despite going up against a strike Ryujo and having a fighter squadron he managed to shoot down 1 plane (I shot down 13 while his fighters went corner to corner unsuccessfully trying to find the enemy CV). Perhaps Karma was on my side because in my next game he was on the enemy team and I helped kill him. (He improved to a whole 3 planes in the second game).

Hit rank 15, so now I have to use a tier 8. Id prefer to use the Bismarck, but im still probably a couple weeks away grinding the Gneisenau. I have a Chapayev all ready to go, but cruisers are just so fragile. My only goal is to get down to like rank 9 for the big pile of flags. I dont think I have enough pubbie tolerance to get much lower than that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've been taking a bit of a break since hitting 15, due to the terrible teams but I'll dive back in tomorrow to try to reach 12. I highly doubt that I will be able to get past 10 unless I'm lucky. Most of my teams are terrifyingly incompetent.

On the other hand, I have rebought the Clemson to get the ARP Haguro.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

It turns out pubbie syndrome gets worse in rank 10 and up. Pubbies really hate losing stars so they try to stay as far away as possible from red ships so they can be top exp. It's actually worse than usual random battle max range snipers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It kills me that you can't platoon in ranked.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

Also use dd in ranked if you can since getting top exp as dd player is so easy. I regret not having tier 8 dd.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Flagellum posted:

Also use dd in ranked if you can since getting top exp as dd player is so easy. I regret not having tier 8 dd.

So do I. Still 40k xp away from getting a barebones Benson, much further away from Fubuki and Tashkent, and there's no real way through without one of them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I have to say I'm actually enjoying ranked this season. I got up to 15 today by bullying in the Bayern. Now to switch over to the Atago. I forgot you can actually stealth torp in that thing. I also forgot how unforgiving cruisers can be.

I've thought about running the Benson, but I don't have a 15 point captain for her.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Ranked is tempting me, but playing for actual stakes in a War Gaming product? :fireman:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Durendal posted:

Ranked is tempting me, but playing for actual stakes in a War Gaming product? :fireman:

I find it fun because the teams are smaller and you can't be uptiered. Goddamn, being guaranteed to not end up in a T10 game in my NC is a godsend. If a combination of those two things sounds appealing then play ranked just for the hell of it and don't give a gently caress about the ranks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Durendal posted:

Suffer like we did :unsmigghh:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I find it fun because when I drive my bismarck I find that my team generally follows me when I pull aggressive moves like just diving straight down the middle of the map. Everyone wants to shoot the bismarck, but for some reason they will ignore the new orleans and NC right next to me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just had my second loss in Ranked. Luckily, I was top XP so I didn't lose a star. Highlight was an idiot in a Cleveland who drove straight into the enemy team and died almost immediately screaming at us to do extremely stupid things the entire match. We pretty much lost because of him and an AFK Mutsuki putting us 5 against 7 as soon as the match started.

Extremely frustrating.

New Mex and Bayern are best T6 ranked boats. Kind of sucks i don't have any T8's to continue past rank 16 with.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Quick question about the Yamato: I'm aware of the really annoying things BBs do (such as going on holiday in some island corner of the map and trying to merge into some sort of super-blob) but at the same time I'm having a lot of trouble playing the Yamato as an offensive ship. Most of the time I just end up at the front getting torpedoed. Any tips from folks about how to play it in a way that contributes to the team without being suicidal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Tirranek posted:

Quick question about the Yamato: I'm aware of the really annoying things BBs do (such as going on holiday in some island corner of the map and trying to merge into some sort of super-blob) but at the same time I'm having a lot of trouble playing the Yamato as an offensive ship. Most of the time I just end up at the front getting torpedoed. Any tips from folks about how to play it in a way that contributes to the team without being suicidal?

Play with a DD friend that use smoke and delete stupid battleships like this guy
https://youtu.be/eGKNUDY-1Cs