Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Junior Jr. posted:

Plinkett's TFA review was so great, the hugs montage was the one thing I kept coming back to. So I made an extended version to get it out of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gcams9MEyY

I wonder how fast Disney content ID the poo poo out it.

shout outs for exerting effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
also the new plinkett video has already reached 1 million views in less than 3 days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rubellavator posted:

But Starship Troopers is not a good movie even when you know it's a satire.

Unlike the Satr Wars, it's a good movie that aged well.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

dreezy posted:

also the new plinkett video has already reached 1 million views in less than 3 days.

How much does that get them in YouTube checks?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

8 track betamax posted:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

6 dollars or 6 chechssk?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
6 bottles of Dan Aykroyd vodka.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

8 track betamax posted:

A comically oversized check presented by Youtube president, Steve Google. Not entitling the bearer to any sum of real money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dreezy posted:

the main problem with redlettermedia threads is they always start talking about things that aren't redlettermedia and that way madness lies.

I have written a 108 page response to your so-called Batman v Superman review.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

steinrokkan posted:

Unlike the Satr Wars, it's a good movie that aged well.

lmao no

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

gotta put somebody in r2d2

As far as I know it is all remote controlled now. That Grant guy from Mythbusters is actually one of the few people who are rated by Lucasfilm to be an official R2D2 operator.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Been thinking about it, and....unfortunately, 10 months is a long time in the world of online media consumption and most of Plinkett’s gripes with the movie are well-trod territory. The first 45 minutes is spent on the Disney buyout and the farfetched “Ring Theory,” all so he can ultimately say Force Awakens is too similar to the A New Hope. He then spends the remainder of the review claiming that diverse representation on film doesn’t matter to kids and people in Star Wars should have sex more, which certainly represents one school of thought.

The criticisms of the producer’s allegiance to the fandom and the Disney-fication of Star Wars are valid, but if Plinkett wants these reviews to have the same bite as the old ones, maybe he should get them out a little sooner. Especially with a whole new Star Wars film waiting around every corner.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

8 track betamax posted:

Been thinking about it, and....unfortunately, 10 months is a long time in the world of online media consumption and most of Plinkett’s gripes with the movie are well-trod territory. The first 45 minutes is spent on the Disney buyout and the farfetched “Ring Theory,” all so he can ultimately say Force Awakens is too similar to the A New Hope. He then spends the remainder of the review claiming that diverse representation on film doesn’t matter to kids and people in Star Wars should have sex more, which certainly represents one school of thought.

The criticisms of the producer’s allegiance to the fandom and the Disney-fication of Star Wars are valid, but if Plinkett wants these reviews to have the same bite as the old ones, maybe he should get them out a little sooner. Especially with a whole new Star Wars film waiting around every corner.

Yeah but did you see the part where he listed youtube channels

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

8 track betamax posted:

If you've seen the lineup for the rest of the Star Wars films (including the other anthology stories), I doubt Plinkett's going to cover EVERY film Disney's planning. It'd be too much work to handle, and I don't think you can say that much about Rogue One, because those type of films are just filler for the main event (episodes VII - IX). Like he said, it's all gotten out of hand just like the Marvel films. Also get ready to see tons of merch that either get wasted or end up in bargain stores every year from now on.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Junior Jr. posted:

If you've seen the lineup for the rest of the Star Wars films (including the other anthology stories), I doubt Plinkett's going to cover EVERY film Disney's planning. It'd be too much work to handle, and I don't think you can say that much about Rogue One, because those type of films are just filler for the main event (episodes VII - IX). Like he said, it's all gotten out of hand just like the Marvel films. Also get ready to see tons of merch that either get wasted or end up in bargain stores every year from now on.

But see, here's the thing...nearly 10 months have passed after the film’s box office record-breaking release, the independent-filmmakers-turned-film-reviewers over at Red Letter Media have finally shared Mr. Plinkett’s review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it’s nearly as long as the movie itself. If you’re thinking there’s no way a review— even one clocking in at an hour and 45 minutes —can tell you something you haven’t already read about the newest Star Wars installment, you’re mostly right. Still, it has its moments.........................................................................................:twisted:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

8 track betamax posted:

i didnt know you wrote for av club

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Warren Ellis was also scared off (well, more like he threw a tantrum when someone called him a dickhead) by Goons.
The dude who does Achewood was scared off because people were obsessing over his baby.
We all know what happened to Robin Williams...

Is DeadMau5 the only Goon Celebrity success story?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

8 track betamax posted:

But see, here's the thing...nearly 10 months have passed after the film’s box office record-breaking release, the independent-filmmakers-turned-film-reviewers over at Red Letter Media have finally shared Mr. Plinkett’s review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it’s nearly as long as the movie itself. If you’re thinking there’s no way a review— even one clocking in at an hour and 45 minutes —can tell you something you haven’t already read about the newest Star Wars installment, you’re mostly right. Still, it has its moments.........................................................................................:twisted:

lonely gay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drunken Baker posted:

Warren Ellis was also scared off (well, more like he threw a tantrum when someone called him a dickhead) by Goons.
The dude who does Achewood was scared off because people were obsessing over his baby.

Dr. Derek Smart.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

spooky like this! posted:

As far as I know it is all remote controlled now. That Grant guy from Mythbusters is actually one of the few people who are rated by Lucasfilm to be an official R2D2 operator.

I think they put him in R2 for one quick scene so they can have his name in the credits. Then R2 is radio controlled for 99.9% of the time.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

FuturePastNow posted:

I think they put him in R2 for one quick scene so they can have his name in the credits. Then R2 is radio controlled for 99.9% of the time.

and same type of situation for chewie and c3po.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

8 track betamax posted:

He just released the episode 3 review in May. I think a few months to do the next one for TFA was more than fair. This time around, he doesn't have the prequel trilogy to work on so he'll get the R1 review done sooner after release.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The episode 3 review was like two years ago dude.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

FedEx Mercury posted:

Maybe he was in a coma

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FedEx Mercury posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYWAHuFbLoc

Says may 2016 :shrug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They reuploaded the review to their youtube channel a few months ago, he's probably confusing that with the original.

Read the video description.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 5, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drunken Baker posted:

We've still got Brown Moses, at least until the Russians get him.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You can't trust the YouTube dates they have been reuploaded many times. The episode two review went up late 2012 (I think) and the episode 3 review was less than a year after that.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

KakerMix posted:

Starship Troopers was badass when I thought it was a weird future-war movie when I was in middle school. My friends and I loving loved it. Then later when I read the actual book Starship Troopers and got into the whole whacked-out author and his ideas on government and poo poo and Verhoeven ripping into that dude and the movie was a result of that I loved it even more. Goddamn Starship Troopers is ace.

I unironically love the movie as an action flick and the book as a 60's era sci-fi classic. When I watched the movie I didn't get "War is hell, nationalistic military juntas are fascism with a different name, celebrating violence is bread and circuses of the new age" I was thinking "Oh man those aliens just took that guy's loving arm off! This is so cool! Why aren't all war movies like this?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starship Troopers is really good, any scify with mormons is good. I love the expanse for that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

FedEx Mercury posted:

You can't trust the YouTube dates they have been reuploaded many times. The episode two review went up late 2012 (I think) and the episode 3 review was less than a year after that.

According to this and my memory, ROTS was 2010.
Then there was Indiana Jones, Titanic, and some commentary.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Just gonna drop this here.. I didn't realize how old some of the original Plinkett stuff was. I also didn't realize that Crystal Skull came out almost a decade ago.
Date Title
2008-12-12 Star Trek Generations
2009-05-06 Star Trek First Contact
2009-06-10 Star Trek Insurrection
2009-08-13 Star Trek Nemesis
2009-12-10 The Phantom Menace
2010-04-03 Attack of the Clones
2010-05-21 Avatar
2010-06-17 Baby's Day Out
2010-09-01 Star Trek 2009
2010-12-31 Revenge of the Sith
2011-06-24 Cop Dog
2011-12-22 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2012-02-10 The Phantom Menace Commentary Track
2012-08-04 A New Hope Commentary
2012-12-09 Titanic
2013-03-04 Star Trek V Commentary

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well that's actually really depressing to think how long ago it all was.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Are there really posters....ITT... who don't watch the RLM videos exclusively on their website. And also have the RLM website set as their homepage?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Trunko posted:

Are there really posters....ITT... who don't watch the RLM videos exclusively on their website. And also have the RLM website set as their homepage?

My work place is lame like that :(

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It's a livin'

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I re-watched the Revenge of the Sith review last week, it was great like the last time I saw...all except for the ending.

They made a royalty-free special edition ending and it doesn't feel the same. :(

Now I really miss blip.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Trunko posted:

Until the RLM webzone supports theater mode; Youtube supremacy :colbert:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

Until the RLM webzone supports theater mode; Youtube supremacy :colbert:

What's wrong with Fullscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Trunko posted:

And wallpaper.
I mean actual for real wallpaper. I live surrounded by Jays.

• Locked thread