Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, this definitely isn't going to be a game to play for challenging combat encounters... that's for sure.
Other than that, it reassured me of my own pre-order... it actually looks better than other footage I've seen and I can actually hear the drat game so I can tell if the sounds and music are any good.(looks like they are!)

edit:
Content for the new page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7n-srsm_6c

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deakul posted:

Well, this definitely isn't going to be a game to play for challenging combat encounters... that's for sure.
Other than that, it reassured me of my own pre-order... it actually looks better than other footage I've seen and I can actually hear the drat game so I can tell if the sounds and music are any good.(looks like they are!)

yeah, most of the issues(glitches, some repetive models, missions) look like classic open world problems. I can handle that as long as they arnt game breaking.

Deakul posted:

Welp, I preordered this.

Shadow Warrior 2

and Battlefield 1.

i am everything wrong with the gaming community kill me

I preordered this, console vermintide, battlefield 1 and titanfall 2 and gears 4. i am worse then you are by far.

Utnayan posted:

Well, for starters, getting flown to an event which is being paid for and hosted by the publisher, is getting paid. (Free trip to New Orleans). Did they also get a hotel stay? Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner? And they did disclose that, but if they are talking about how great the game is after that without always disclosing that according to FTC guidelines in their videos, they are already over the line.

Don't need to mash this thread up with that, but considering the abortion that was Mafia II and the cut content which completely destroyed the pacing of the story (Mind you, I still liked Mafia 2 for the most part but instead of a 7/10 it easily could have been a 10/10 with the open world features not cut, and Joe's Adventure's placed exactly where it should have been (The timeline stories from when Vito was in prison up until he got out) I was just saying it is something to note. They should have just come out with the game.

And if it is so bad they cannot give a copy one week early to review sites where a hail mary day one patch may or may not fix all the glaring issues (If that is even the case) advice should be to just wait and see from the gaming community in general.

Either way, I hope it is good, and doesn't suck. I loved Mafia 1, and even though Mafia 2 was butchered I still finished it and liked the character development and settings/some of the story. Let's just hope they didn't gently caress this one up.

game company have realized that its easier to put their game out their with youtube nerds and show them a good time to get good previews rather then just throw it at various sites and hope for the best. after the polygon doom incident, i dont blame them.

ehh. it still looks ok. plus its ZAMM, they have never been that good with gameplay videos and most of their site think piece essays(but decent/good ones unlike killscreen and others places)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was there more to Polygon Doom than just them being bad at it or is that video the only thing?

Also there was that Polygon compared to a regular streamer VR thing about guns. It. Was. Amazing. Titled something like, "Polygon doesn't know how games work," or similar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Was there more to Polygon Doom than just them being bad at it or is that video the only thing?

Also there was that Polygon compared to a regular streamer VR thing about guns. It. Was. Amazing. Titled something like, "Polygon doesn't know how games work," or similar.

polygon has been going down the shitter for years and my guess is that was icing on the cake for alot of people. either way, my guess is alot of game company will go to various youtubers for previews rather then sites. its probaly less expensive and they dont have to deal with a bunch of glorified sales people(game journalists) pretending to be social/morality critics and gate keepers when some of the time they cant even play the drat game competently. because alot of journalists would rather do this then preview the game. is it a bad thing. not really, its just kinda dumb, but thats probaly why you see more companies going toward youtube then polygon, killscreen, kotaku, other lovely sites. IGN will probably survive though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Wait what? Considering what the developers have been trying to do with Mafia 3, I don't see why game sites wouldn't critique social issues and morality. In fact, its an aspect of gaming that is basically at the forefront that I really don't trust most youtubers to be able to handle competently.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It looked like Joe was playing the same version of the game that a bunch of other youtubers were given. It restricts the player to two of the districts (French Ward and Frisco Fields) and two of the rackets (Handsome Harry's sex ring and the Southern Union's human trafficking).

You get to take out both rackets and give them to your lieutenants and then have the sitdown to assign the district to someone.

One thing I liked about the footage I saw was that the side-missions seemed to have a risk/reward thing going on. You could go to a location, shoot two guys and burn a few boxes of stag films to hurt the sex trade, but you'd do very little actual damage to the racket. Taking down an enforcer would be much more damaging to the racket, but would require you to throw down with a lot of gangsters and the enforcer, plus have an increased chance of the cops showing up.

So if you find the side-missions boring and repetitive, you might need to take some risks and shake things up a bit. Things will go much faster if you do.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And if you can grab a leader alive you can force them to work for you for continuous income.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

blackguy32 posted:

Wait what? Considering what the developers have been trying to do with Mafia 3, I don't see why game sites wouldn't critique social issues and morality. In fact, its an aspect of gaming that is basically at the forefront that I really don't trust most youtubers to be able to handle competently.
I think the issue ( and the reason why youtubers are becoming more prevalent ) is that nobody trusts the game sites either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ZombyDog posted:

I think the issue ( and the reason why youtubers are becoming more prevalent ) is that nobody trusts the game sites either.

this too.

Quiet Python posted:

It looked like Joe was playing the same version of the game that a bunch of other youtubers were given. It restricts the player to two of the districts (French Ward and Frisco Fields) and two of the rackets (Handsome Harry's sex ring and the Southern Union's human trafficking).

You get to take out both rackets and give them to your lieutenants and then have the sitdown to assign the district to someone.

One thing I liked about the footage I saw was that the side-missions seemed to have a risk/reward thing going on. You could go to a location, shoot two guys and burn a few boxes of stag films to hurt the sex trade, but you'd do very little actual damage to the racket. Taking down an enforcer would be much more damaging to the racket, but would require you to throw down with a lot of gangsters and the enforcer, plus have an increased chance of the cops showing up.

So if you find the side-missions boring and repetitive, you might need to take some risks and shake things up a bit. Things will go much faster if you do.

this. the game reminds me of a weird mix of godfather 2 racket/enforcer system and a smidge of shadow of morder.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Now I'm sad that the Nemesis system isn't in this game and we won't have Johnny Tightlips telling us to suck a lemon, or Frankie the Squealer running to the cops when confronted in the open world. :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Now I'm sad that the Nemesis system isn't in this game and we won't have Johnny Tightlips telling us to suck a lemon, or Frankie the Squealer running to the cops when confronted in the open world. :(

yeah more games need the nemesis system.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah more games need the nemesis system.

It's a good system.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nemesis would be a lot better in this than mordor. But I'm one of those weirdos who thought mordor sucked.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nemesis would be a lot better in this than mordor. But I'm one of those weirdos who thought mordor sucked.

Mordor sucked bad real bad in almost every aspect except the Nemesis system which is so good it makes the game worth playing regardless

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Please don't say other games suck(you're both wrong as gently caress btw) in this thread for a game that has a very high probability of sucking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Please don't say other games suck(you're both wrong as gently caress btw) in this thread for a game that has a very high probability of sucking.

i would say average to low suck probability. My guess is the story/setting/race/environmental stuff will be great, with the gameplay and missions being ok/maybe good but people will knock points for AI,glitches, repetition and not being GTA. it also helps that its apparently handling all the race stuff pretty well.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 5, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am willing to admit this may suck too. I was gonna sit down and watch Angry Joe's two part gameplay videos and try not to fall asleep but honestly this will be attempt number 2.

Didn't help that "other Joe" was absolutely terrible at the game though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Youtubers are bad at games. There are exceptions, if they do not talk at all and pre-record the video they can be alright at games. If it is a livestream and they commentate they tend to suck.

Anyway, unlock times:
https://twitter.com/mafiagame/status/783464585562951680
  • Wellington (New Zealand) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 5:00:00 PM NZDT UTC+13 hours
  • Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 3:00:00 PM AEDT UTC+11 hours
  • Brisbane (Australia - Queensland) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 2:00:00 PM AEST UTC+10 hours
  • Tokyo (Japan) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 1:00:00 PM JST UTC+9 hours
  • Perth (Australia - Western Australia) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 12:00:00 Noon AWST UTC+8 hours
  • Hanoi (Vietnam) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 11:00:00 AM ICT UTC+7 hours
  • Moscow (Russia - Moscow) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 7:00:00 AM MSK UTC+3 hours
  • London (United Kingdom - England) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 5:00:00 AM BST UTC+1 hour
  • Los Angeles (USA - California) Thursday, 6 October 2016 at 9:00:00 PM PDT UTC-7 hours

• Corresponding UTC (GMT) Friday, 7 October 2016 at 04:00:00

Someone mentioned on IRC that 2k released region locking news too? People from grey key sites will be locked to the EU region? Not sure on that yet.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 5, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I dunno, the dozens of hours of videos out there suggest it's got, at the very least, competent open world mechanics in a nice, original setting. It's hard to see from that how it could be a disaster, but the no-reviews thing is worrying.

What's extra worrying about this is that 2K's other big release this season, Civ 6, was given to reviewers in a near final build state a month before release, so it's not like this is some new policy. They're looking at their games on a case by case basis and, for whatever (possibly benign) reason, they've decided Mafia 3 should not be reviewed before release. That's not good. It might not be bad. But it's not good.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

drunkill posted:

Youtubers are bad at games. There are exceptions, if they do not talk at all and pre-record the video they can be alright at games. If it is a livestream and they commentate they tend to suck.

There are lots of amazing YouTube gamers that I watch. But Other Joe is just Angry Joe's friend/sidekick who is usually the butt of the jokes in the little skits they do. I don't even think he's much of a gamer.

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBWJNec2Ic

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 5, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm having trouble keeping track of all the Joe's. And one of these Joes might be the protagonists father?

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This makes me actually the saddest ever. That would be the greatest. Still keen for Mafia 3 but daaaamn it I want that game now.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

Someone mentioned on IRC that 2k released region locking news too? People from grey key sites will be locked to the EU region? Not sure on that yet.

My GMG key did unlock a specifically European version when I redeemed it.

e: probably worth noting that I'm actually in Europe

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 5, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

I really wouldn't know other than the internet forum crowd who are pretty self-selecting in a lot of ways. I guess it's a moot point considering that people aren't really taking the statistics for a lot of these website ventures.

But it's clear that some people are reading and put a lot of faith into them considering the shitstorm that AAA games get whenever they precious hyped game gets a score lower than a 9.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i would say average to low suck probability. My guess is the story/setting/race/environmental stuff will be great, with the gameplay and missions being ok/maybe good but people will knock points for AI,glitches, repetition and not being GTA. it also helps that its apparently handling all the race stuff pretty well.

I have strong doubts. I haven't really heard much of anything dealing with race other than how cops handle you and you being able to shoot klansmen.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

kuroiXiru posted:

My GMG key did unlock a specifically European version when I redeemed it.

e: probably worth noting that I'm actually in Europe

Usually the European version just have more language options right?

I am thinking of buying this from GMG but I guess I don't really want to get stuck with no english VO.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

blackguy32 posted:

I have strong doubts. I haven't really heard much of anything dealing with race other than how cops handle you and you being able to shoot klansmen.

There's a pretty good interview here about it all, and a further link to an article with the interviewer's concerns about the whole thing too.

I'm still waiting to hear more about it once the game is actually out but I'm cautiously interested.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

You're correct on that one, 2k made EU specific keys and basically all grey market sites went 'oh poo poo' in the past day or two and changed their stuff accordingly. You might have to VPN to activate or something if you bought one through them.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I haven't been following this too much, but I did read one the early previews and they already stated that Lincoln was mix raced. It's kind of obvious looking at his character model. They said there's the obvious stuff in the white neighborhoods, but in the black neighborhoods people still give him poo poo by calling him a half-breed and things like that.

Wow, that's pretty accurate if my friends are anything to go by.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay well I guess here's hoping having the European version doesn't cause any issues for a Yank. Reduced violence or region lock things.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Okay well I guess here's hoping having the European version doesn't cause any issues for a Yank. Reduced violence or region lock things.

Everyone in game will speak French. Sorry DSM.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I am thinking of buying this from GMG but I guess I don't really want to get stuck with no english VO.

Nah. It says European, not RHCP or Russian. UK is still part of Europe, and the UK-based GMG wouldn't sell a game without English VO.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I guess I'll wait anyway now that the preorder isn't on sale on GMG. I looked last night and it was 20% off so they must have just stopped that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Wow, that's pretty accurate if my friends are anything to go by.

The mixed race experience is a super complicated one and I hope they don't gently caress this up supremely because it's real easy to forget people like me exist.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dublish posted:

Everyone in game will speak French. Sorry DSM.

Je parle une petit Francais, mais tres malment.

It's just adding autheticity to the French Quartet.

I guess I'll wait anyway now that the preorder isn't on sale on GMG. I looked last night and it was 20% off so they must have just stopped that.

It doesn't show until you put it in your cart. Only time I've ever seen this on their site.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The GIG posted:

The mixed race experience is a super complicated one and I hope they don't gently caress this up supremely because it's real easy to forget people like me exist.

I think there have actually been a slew of mixed race characters recently, although to me it always comes out feeling lazy because it hardly ever seems to matter. Off the top of my head I can think of

-Clementine from Walking Dead
-Alyx
-Aveline
-Connor from AC3
-Lance Vance from GTA Vice City
-Red from Red Dead Revolver
-Faith from Mirror's Edge
-Also the protagonist from Remember Me is mixed race as well.

I am sure there is more.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 5, 2016

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Je parle une petit Francais, mais tres malment.

It's just adding autheticity to the French Quartet.

It doesn't show until you put it in your cart. Only time I've ever seen this on their site.

I think the site must be bugged right now. I went all the way to the checkout screen and no discount. I will just check back later.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As long as it beats gta5 in terms of having fun poo poo to do outside of story missions, I'll be satisfied.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

blackguy32 posted:

I think there have actually been a slew of mixed race characters recently, although to me it always comes out feeling lazy because it hardly ever seems to matter. Off the top of my head I can think of

-Clementine from Walking Dead
-Alyx
-Aveline
-Connor from AC3
-Lance Vance from GTA Vice City
-Red from Red Dead Revolver
-Faith from Mirror's Edge
-Also the protagonist from Remember Me is mixed race as well.

I am sure there is more.

I know, that's why I said the mixed "experience", especially since a ton of Lincoln's story is about fitting in and finding a group he can become close to.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

My GMG version (I'm in Australia) in that same activation history screen in my steam profile just has the name of the game, no regions in brackets. So I'm not sure. I've finished pre-loading and just says 'pre-load complete; unreleased'

Also, every unlockable gun in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8qCFNK0rw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Little Bitch Man posted:

As long as it beats gta5 in terms of having fun poo poo to do outside of story missions, I'll be satisfied.

It is not going to beat gta5 in terms of having fun poo poo to do outside of story missions.

This is the first time I've seriously considered buying something straight from steam because the extra cost seems like it might be worth it for the insurance of being able to return it.

• Locked thread