Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

One of the big moments of the Baratie arc was Luffy telling Sanji on the lines of "[Zeff] didn't save your life just for you to throw it away!" when Sanji was determined to die to Pearl to let Zeff's restaurant remain for one moment longer, and there was a throwback panel of Luffy remembering Shanks losing his arm to save him from the seaking. It's in volume 7, I won't bother sifting through the dogshit translations of those chapters online. I'd bet anything there'll be a flashback to that scene and Sanji fights his family knowing that Zeff wouldn't want Sanji to throw his life away just to protect him.

edit: Actually it's not a bad translation (I think the translators stole the official one)

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
took a 3 year break and now im all caught up but also sad that i am caught up

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

verbal enema posted:

welcome to the cool dudes club!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

verbal enema posted:

You picked a hell of a time to come back, and you skipped the biggest slog, so good job.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

welcome to the cool dudes club!

im not cool, dude

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

anime was right posted:

im not cool, dude

you read one piece. you are a cool dude with good taste.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
The anime is just a few episodes from Zou loving up Jack's fleet, here's a preview. Note Toei's innovative cost cutting techniques in the animation

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
JackVsHoneyQueen.gif

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I just finished Enie's Lobby.

This might be favorite storyline of any comic I've ever read. So many amazing moments, awesome villains. One badass baddy in Lucci and one utterly hatable piece of poo poo in Spandam (Robin busting his back was incredibly satisfying."

My only real complaint was the Kalifa fight seemed like pure unadulterated fanservice. Though in fairness she has an interesting power and it's like the fanservice was integrated into the fight and wasn't just weird poo poo.

One Piece owns really really really hard guys.

Is the next arc just as good?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 5, 2016

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

This might be favorite storyline of any comic I've ever read. So many amazing moments, awesome villains. One badass baddy in Lucci and one utterly hatable piece of poo poo in Spandam (Robin busting his back was incredibly satisfying."

My only real complaint was the Kalifa fight seemed like pure unadulterated fanservice. Though in fairness she has an interesting power and it's like the fanservice was integrated into the fight and wasn't just weird poo poo.

It's a big change of pace. I think it's overall a strong arc with some great moments but it's definitely not as intense (or on-point) as Enies Lobby was (but really, I'm not sure anything in the series has been).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OldTennisCourt posted:

The next arc is real good, but I don't think any arc is as good as Water 7/Enies Lobby.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Nothing is quite as good as Water 7/Enies Lobby, but there is stuff that comes close. We're in a really, really good bit right now, and have been for a while.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really can't overstate how much I loving HATE Spandem. Lucci was an evil monstor, but Spandem was such a sniveling little piece of garbage that he's really the only villain (aside from maybe Arlong?) that I'd be pretty okay if the Straw Hats straight up killed.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's hard to top Enies. It's the first of Franky, Void history, Ancient weapon discussion (besides crocodile's name drop of pluton), gears, sogeking, and the franky family & Galleyla make one of the strawhats largest supporting army. Even the anime did a great job!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Water 7 was also one of the more dramatic points in the series, what with the Straw Hats at their lowest point from the loss of their ship and possessions, two crew members leaving, and the whole island out for their blood.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

New chapter out: http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/842/3716/1

The biscuit men being edible thanks to Nami satisfies two of the nitpicks from last chapter: how can he eat them if they're Haki infused and what is Nami doing. Very good chapter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That final page is the loving best

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't wait for sanji's face mask to fall off in the middle of the wedding

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Oh my god that chapter was everything I didn't know I wanted out of that fight.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A nice detail is that the haki pattern for Tankman is reversed from the usual Gear 4 pattern

Goes to show that Luffy was focusing his haki at his stomach this time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God this manga rules

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

...Did Luffy just pull a Kuma? Not as far, since we could still see Cracker, but if he's literally blasted him to another island then god drat.

Also, nice little cameo from Carrot and Bropper. I'm fully expecting Brulee to smash one of the mirrors and for them to come crashing out at the worst possible moment.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...Did Luffy just pull a Kuma? Not as far, since we could still see Cracker, but if he's literally blasted him to another island then god drat.

Tbh, I think he was just being dramatic.

bondster
May 6, 2007

So this is the New World version of Water Luffy? Cause :swoon:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That was amazing :swoon: I don't know how he does it, but Oda just continues to deliver! It was nice to show how much more Sanji respects Zeff than we thought. Didn't expect it to actually be Zeff who inspired that level of chivalry, though. Also, I love those panels where a character is showing a real sinister intent, in this case when Nami was claiming the homies as her own soldiers. Can't wait to see Luffy crash the wedding on a giant tree.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at the translation. twat was an interesting word choice

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jose posted:

lol at the translation. twat was an interesting word choice

Yeah, "Respect women, you twat" is a pretty good example of why I'm subscribed to WSJ. I'll read it because I'm an addict and have to have my fix early, but jesus.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Excellent chapter. I really like the creativity of the Luffy fight instead of just "I can punch harder than you can!" which is often very disappointing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

...so if Luffy eats enough and then uses Gear 4th he becomes non-Newtonian?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Shugojin posted:

...so if Luffy eats enough and then uses Gear 4th he becomes non-Newtonian?

Non-Newtonion at will even! He can harden himself with haki whenever he wants, and right now he's extra squishy.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Gear 4th is thoroughly ridiculous

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm the huge nazi-carriage-pulling cat

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god I love this manga :allears:

Break next week :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I laughed at the dramatic left to right panel staging of Cracker taunting Luffy on the left and a comically obese Luffy gurgling heroically on all the biscuits he's keeping down on the right. :allears:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

nice cameo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

66? MORE LIKE 88!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Could someone give me a good idea about how haki works? It's not a Devil Fruit only power, but it seems like it works in a way that can gently caress with Fruit users if they are attacked with it. Is it kind of a power level DBZ kinda thing?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

OldTennisCourt posted:

Could someone give me a good idea about how haki works? It's not a Devil Fruit only power, but it seems like it works in a way that can gently caress with Fruit users if they are attacked with it. Is it kind of a power level DBZ kinda thing?

Haki 覇気, means ambition/will/aspiration. So basically in One Piece world, if you 'want it' enough, you can punch fire and make the fire hurt. It's pretty simple.

There's some stuff about "The Colors of Haki" Which are just ways it manifests differently in different characters, but really it's just dudes Wanting It More. Like when some sports commentator says "You gotta want it." so the sportsmen can win the ball game. I hope this helps.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

its basically ki

a lot of people in this thread have been obsessed with the idea of it being some kinda willpower thing but its not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Law Cheetah posted:

its basically ki

a lot of people in this thread have been obsessed with the idea of it being some kinda willpower thing but its not really

It's literally a word. But yeah, people like to troll and fight about it for some reason. It's not really like dragonball Ki, nobody is shooting Haki blasts... but the word ki is the second part of ha ki, so yes, it's an implied part of the human spirit.. which is Will, which I'm pretty sure Oda made clear in an early interview one of the Key themes in One Piece is Will. Will of D, inhereted Will, Haki, etc.. it's not some loony fan theory, it's kind of obviously right there in the story, and the literal language being used.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 5, 2016