Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Why did no one tell me darts of stunning work on Sarevok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Did anyone here know that there was going to be a port of Baldur's Gate 1 for the PS1? It was never actually released, but I came across footage of game here. It looks like it's a relatively accurate port (though it has different music and sound effects, and no voiced dialog), but I can't imagine trying to play through the whole game with a controller.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Is Viconia seriously the only single class cleric in SoD? I guess I'll give Glint a whirl but he's multi.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I didn't mind the math wonkiness of the Infinity Engine games (because it didn't matter: the games depend on spell selection and buffs/debuffs, not calculating what you need to roll), but something I found disappointing is how little character development mattered.
I dunno. I wasn't a tabletop player, either, but the BG setting was the first time I really came into contact with the idea of a full-game walkthrough fanfiction. There were many, many stories describing walkthroughs people wrote based around their different characters and parties. The quality aside, clearly, the framework was flexible enough. If you wanted to roleplay, you could have.

Funnily, going back to the Throne of Bhaal discussion, from what I remember, most of these stories usually stopped or hit a major hiatus when they reached the expansion. This really signifies to me how little choice there was in the expansion and how railroaded things were - people couldn't even be bothered to write, because everyone's story was very much the same.

Full, vaguely embarrassing disclosure: I wrote one of these stories myself. (In my case, I found it amusing to viciously murder the PC at the end of BG1 and take Imoen and Sarevok for a spin through Amn instead. Pretty fun.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Is Viconia seriously the only single class cleric in SoD? I guess I'll give Glint a whirl but he's multi.

They really should've brought in Branwen instead of her. First there's the insanity of the anti-Crusade forces letting a drow cleric of Shar just hang out around their camp, and her BGII story (Bought farm, worked out real badly) is basically impossible to reconcile with the timeframe Dragonspear presents, it would've had to have happened in the course of a week or so.

EDIT: If I wrote one of those, it'd probably end with "Hey, Amelyssan? We're gonna go crash at Haer-Dalis' place in Sigil, come find us and see what the Lady of Pain thinks of your godhood" With all luck she'll get spaghettified and you can skip the whole boss battle.

DOUBLE EDIT: Is there a way to make a polymorph on equip effect in Icewind Dale II? Could I make that polymorph someone into a regular paperdoll?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kavak posted:

DOUBLE EDIT: Is there a way to make a polymorph on equip effect in Icewind Dale II? Could I make that polymorph someone into a regular paperdoll?
So the other options didn't really work, I guess?

You could do that, although I don't know an elegant solution. Do you know how to use NearInfinity?

My hackjob attempt would look like this:
Make a creature that uses the sprite you want.
Copy an item with an existing while-equipped effect.
Change the item's effect to polymorph into the creature you created.

There may be an effect that just changes animation, but I only know the polymorph one, which needs a template creature.

You can also make an unlimited use activated ability that polymorphs the user permanently, but that may run into the same issues as using DaleKeeper. I have no idea if it would, but it might.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It works like you said- works for a while, turns back into dwarf dude after cutscenes.

I've got a basic grasp of NearInfinity, making an item or just adding the property to the few pieces of headgear a sorceress can get should be doable.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
At this point I think you should just roll with it. A halfling sorceress who's cursed to appear as a burly dwarf man sounds like a perfect D&D adventurer.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I forgot that you can also open save games in NearInfinity by first opening the game's .key file itself, then using Open File (Ctrl + I) to open the save's .gam file.

That allows you to edit party members and would be an easier solution, although I assume it would have the same limitations as just using DaleKeeper.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Infinity games are great because you can be legitimately evil in a "I don't give a poo poo about this crummy city, blow it up if you want after I'm gone, but give me the goddamn Jewel of Pendor" instead of Bethesda's *Kicking puppies for no reason* version of evil.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

I forgot that you can also open save games in NearInfinity by first opening the game's .key file itself, then using Open File (Ctrl + I) to open the save's .gam file.

That allows you to edit party members and would be an easier solution, although I assume it would have the same limitations as just using DaleKeeper.

The last time I did that it got corrupted, so I'll try to make that hat or just learn to live with the bearded lady.

ElGroucho posted:

The Infinity games are great because you can be legitimately evil in a "I don't give a poo poo about this crummy city, blow it up if you want after I'm gone, but give me the goddamn Jewel of Pendor" instead of Bethesda's *Kicking puppies for no reason* version of evil.

Even as a good guy I'm starting to lean this way. Quit sitting on these magic items that might save your goddamn podunk town! Elytharra and the trading post are getting -cleaned the gently caress out- when this goblin business is dealt with.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

I still never finished an evil playthrough of Planescape Torment. Don't have the stomach for it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

ElGroucho posted:

I still haven't played a game that hasn't felt like this.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 4, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still never finished an evil playthrough of Planescape Torment. Don't have the stomach for it.

My memory might very well be bad, but isn't the reason for TNO's immortality due to him trying to avoid dying due to having done basically the most heinous thing ever?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

My memory might very well be bad, but isn't the reason for TNO's immortality due to him trying to avoid dying due to having done basically the most heinous thing ever?

Well, yeah which you find out near the end, but I was talking about doing an evil playthrough of the current TNO you see ingame. Being evil in Planescape Torment is less about kicking people in the nuts randomly and being a jerk for no reason and more about being coldly practical and manipulative and breaking others wills so they would bend to your own. Basically, acting like a real life sociopath would. I don't have the stomach for that, even though I keep telling myself I'll do an evil playthrough one day.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, yeah which you find out near the end, but I was talking about doing an evil playthrough of the current TNO you see ingame. Being evil in Planescape Torment is less about kicking people in the nuts randomly and being a jerk for no reason and more about being coldly practical and manipulative and breaking others wills so they would bend to your own. Basically, acting like a real life sociopath would. I don't have the stomach for that, even though I keep telling myself I'll do an evil playthrough one day.

I normally do evil playthroughs because they are funny as poo poo, like turning mass effect into a back of the skull execution simulator, or the hilarious romeo and juliet thing in SWTOR and that kind of bullshit. But I can't do an evil torment playthrough, you actually do act evil in a real sense, betraying and using your friends to your own ends.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Unique among game companies, Black Isle/Obsidian can actually do evil. Personal, sociopathic, "Jesus that's loving low" evil. Fingers crossed for Tyranny.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kavak posted:

Unique among game companies, Black Isle/Obsidian can actually do evil. Personal, sociopathic, "Jesus that's loving low" evil. Fingers crossed for Tyranny.

Same reason I can't do a Legion playthrough in New Vegas.

Evil tends to still get the shaft in the BG games, though. Lower reputations impact item prices, and evil quest rewards (I'm looking at you, Trademeet with your stupid rear end druid grove) are usually worse.

Except the Human Flesh Armor. Holy poo poo that thing owns.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Actually, a few recent posts have made me remember some of the horrible things you can do, such as to your loyal companions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Same reason I can't do a Legion playthrough in New Vegas.

Evil tends to still get the shaft in the BG games, though. Lower reputations impact item prices, and evil quest rewards (I'm looking at you, Trademeet with your stupid rear end druid grove) are usually worse.

Except the Human Flesh Armor. Holy poo poo that thing owns.

Black Razor is pretty nice too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ginette Reno posted:

Black Razor is pretty nice too.

Eh, Black Razor is a +3 longsword with immunity to charm/fear and that buff. It's not bad, but you'll most likely drop it shortly into Throne and that assumes you're using longswords at all.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 was the game where I tried to be evil and gave up because it made me feel like such a shitbag.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So what's the deal with Siege of Dragonspear? Should I play this, or is it unequivocally a Bad Game?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I just started playing it yesterday. It's not bad, if a little linear. I wish Branwen hadn't bailed with all the gear I put on her.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
SoD's fine but it feels a bit weird at points, like they had bigger plans which they cut down.

I liked it well enough.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Portland Sucks posted:

So what's the deal with Siege of Dragonspear? Should I play this, or is it unequivocally a Bad Game?

No it's quite good, don't listen to butthurt shitlords. It's not exactly like the original series (more linear and with a somewhat different tone to the writing), but that's inevitable when you've got a new developer and a 15-year gap. It's got some of the best encounters in the Infinity Engine, and a great antagonist in Caelar Argent. Play it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

a great antagonist in Caelar Argent

Yeah, no, Caelar Argent is the worst part of the expansion.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Portland Sucks posted:

I consider BGI and II to be my favorite games ever and have hundreds of hours in both the "enhanced edition" games on Steam and I can say that I really enjoyed playing Siege of Dragonspear. It is structured a bit more like Icewind Dale in that its "linear" with a few bits off the beaten path, but inkeeping with its prequel and sequel has NPC characters who join you.

The gameplay is good, but nothing really surprising or new for people who played these games to death. It wasn't really a challenge in terms of combat, but the encounters were often interesting and fun. They did a good job with loot and items and incidental stuff (I think the only known use for infravision in the entire series?). They really knocked it out of the park with the areas they designed and they definitely captured the infinity engine style, which surprised me as the extra stuff added in BG1 EE was pretty poor. I found the returning NPCs to be fairly decent, though I didn't use all of them and some of the returning voice actors don't sound the same anymore. The NPC characters added by Beamdog are hit and miss in my eyes, in particular I really disliked Corwyn. The worst aspect was the frequent "Bioware / Whedonesque / LOLRANDOM" dialogue in almost every interaction, particularly in the responses that the player can chose, might appeal to some but I hated it.

As for the "SJW controversy" bollocks, its irrelevant and easily missed in the actual game. A non issue all round. Who gives a poo poo if there is a transgender NPC in a game full of crazy gnomes and orcs. Not me. The terribly cringy dialogue infesting every interaction is the real problem with Beamdog.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Portland Sucks posted:

It's better than Tales of Sword Coast, and about on par with the first game. Significantly worse than Shadows of Amn.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's better than Tales of Sword Coast, and about on par with the first game. Significantly worse than Shadows of Amn.

Talk about living up to your username! TotSC has the best dungeon of any infinity engine game in it (Durlag Tower)!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For the person trying to get their sprite right, I think the tweak pack has a bit where you enable a certain AI script and you can change your sprite in game, but I can't remember if it works with the EE edition. If it works in EE then it's probably quicker to instal that then it is to quit and go into EEkeeper after every cutscene.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

mitochondritom posted:

I consider BGI and II to be my favorite games ever and have hundreds of hours in both the "enhanced edition" games on Steam and I can say that I really enjoyed playing Siege of Dragonspear. It is structured a bit more like Icewind Dale in that its "linear" with a few bits off the beaten path, but inkeeping with its prequel and sequel has NPC characters who join you.

The gameplay is good, but nothing really surprising or new for people who played these games to death. It wasn't really a challenge in terms of combat, but the encounters were often interesting and fun. They did a good job with loot and items and incidental stuff (I think the only known use for infravision in the entire series?). They really knocked it out of the park with the areas they designed and they definitely captured the infinity engine style, which surprised me as the extra stuff added in BG1 EE was pretty poor. I found the returning NPCs to be fairly decent, though I didn't use all of them and some of the returning voice actors don't sound the same anymore.

I'm still divided as to what they did with Jaheira. Heidi Shannon had a very distinct voice but the fact that she's the only character without any new voice work is incredibly apparent.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Heidi Shannon had a very distinct voice but the fact that she's the only character without any new voice work is incredibly apparent.

Is it? I honestly didn't pay attention to that during my playthrough, but then again, I only spoke to Jaheira a couple of times and didn't have her in my party.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I'm still divided as to what they did with Jaheira. Heidi Shannon had a very distinct voice but the fact that she's the only character without any new voice work is incredibly apparent.

She basically fell off the face of the earth/refuses to do voice work anymore, right?

As for Dragonspear, it was hit and miss but overall worth the price for me. Beamdog can do good mechanical and area/encounter design work and it's nice to have something finally link BGI and II, but their writing falls flat a lot, like the aforementioned "Later Bioware"-style dialogue and romances. Railroading in terms of "Not many sidequests and linear area progression" doesn't bother me, but not being able to use information found in the various journals and letters to affect the plot does- BGI has its age as an excuse, SoD does not. The ending was just a mess the working theory is that it's what they started with years ago before they hit on the idea of a full-sized expansion and they didn't want to get rid of it/tailor it to fit the new story better.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
IIRC, the only statement they made was that they were unable to track her down or something to that effect. They apparently recorded all her lines with another actress, but it wasn't close enough to the original voice to not be distracting, especially with most of the other original voice actors returning. So they scrapped the voice entirely, lesser of two evils I guess.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did Boo reprise his role or did they find another actor for him as well?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, no, Caelar Argent is the worst part of the expansion.

Sorry you insist all your villains must be cackling LOOK HOW EEEEEEVIL I am monsters and cannot appreciate moral ambiguity or complexity, maybe you should work on that.

Decrepus posted:

Did Boo reprise his role or did they find another actor for him as well?

Is this a joke or something? It doesn't have any sort of setup or punchline but it's too blatantly absurd to be taken seriously. :psyduck:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 5, 2016

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
He's not joking. It's sped up, but Boo's "squeak" is actually a man saying squeak.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Sorry you insist all your villains must be cackling LOOK HOW EEEEEEVIL I am monsters and cannot appreciate moral ambiguity or complexity, maybe you should work on that.

I mean sure, Caelar wasn't the "evil mad man" trope, but she wasn't overly interesting or complex. Holy warrior who fell from grace isn't exactly a novel or unique spin on things. I think including Jon Irenicus throughout the game really interfered with her presence as it was clear from anyone who played the other games who he was and if you hadn't, he was an obvious set up for the TRUE bad guy, thus robbing Caelar of any importance.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The true bad guy is me in Icewind Dale, going around, telling everyone how much I hate their goddamn cold mountains, and asking "Huh... what does human flesh taste like?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

Talk about living up to your username! TotSC has the best dungeon of any infinity engine game in it (Durlag Tower)!

That's a weird way to say like second or third best, but it also contained the drat wolfwere island easily the worse area in any infinity engine game.