Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

nobody should be surprised that launch vr is disappointing. it will take time for devs to do much with it because it's so new. the next iteration of vr headsets is likely where you'll see fully fledged games that aren't just one off gimmicks

I'm not buying a vr headset any time soon, but I do hope enough people do because eventually it could be really cool. it just wasn't ever gonna be at launch

Yeah this is very true and everybody needs to keep it in mind. I'm definitely going to get a PSVR anyways and look forward to what kinda crazy games people come up with. We're far more likely to get good games on PSVR than VIVE because of the market size problem.

But that said, I do have to admit I'm a bit concerned about the playstation move / eye side of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is absolutely required for hardware for all VR games on PS4? Like is the camera a requirement?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

What is absolutely required for hardware for all VR games on PS4? Like is the camera a requirement?

Camera is required for absolutely anything to do with PSVR. The Move is not, but apparently it's strongly recommended. But yeah a common theme in all the write ups I've seen is that the setup suffers a lot from the Move and camera being 6-year-old tech that serve to drag the rest of the experience down. I can understand why Sony decided to recycle them because not doing so surely would have added a lot to the system's cost but there's no question that motion tracking tech has advanced a lot since those peripherals first came ou

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, get the pack with the camera and the move sticks. You shouldn't half rear end the VR revolution!!!!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Oh poo poo mafia iii is shipping today from amazon. I hope it's not poo poo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Digital Foundry released their PSVR review today. Said it was the most comfortable of the VR headsets. It's use of RGB helps make up for the lower resolution. Any side-to-side movements made him nauseous. The PS4 Pro helped with some AA issues the standard PS4 had with jaggies. And the use of the move sticks had some tracking issues, especially if you turn away from the camera at all (so it had to guess what you were doing since the move stick was out of sight). The field of view wasn't as good as the other VR headsets and gave a "binocular" feel at times.

Sounds promising. He said was he was less concerned with the lower resolution as he was with games getting the AA done right. So, it looks like the PS4 Pro may have more benefits with the PSVR. So anyone with a 1080p TV that was considering upgrading to a Pro, if you have any PSVR plans, that is another reason to upgrade I guess.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Please no one "upgrade" to ps4 pro

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll get a Pro if my launch unit breaks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Housh posted:

Its supposd to have a shadow of mordor style nemesis system right? That alone has me considering checking it out.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

If someone has a 4k tv (with decent, low lag HDR), why not?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FireMrshlBill posted:

If someone has a 4k tv (with decent, low lag HDR), why not?

I think it sets a poor precedent for the console landscape.

Devs having to consider two boxes is just bad, to me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Trash Trick posted:

if developers give it some decent support I'll buy one

definitely not on day 1 tho

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

I'll get a Pro if my launch unit breaks.

I'm getting a Pro because my launch unit is dying. Starting to get graphical artifacts and I've had the encoding on remote play go crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its supposd to have a shadow of mordor style nemesis system right? That alone has me considering checking it out.

I don't think so?

You have 3 lieutenants and every time you take over territory, you choose one to be in charge of it. There's a conflict system between those 3 if you favor one. More benefits, but it makes the other 2 mad etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think so?

You have 3 lieutenants and every time you take over territory, you choose one to be in charge of it. There's a conflict system between those 3 if you favor one. More benefits, but it makes the other 2 mad etc.

:colbert: some goon told me it did, but yeah it sounds like it doesn't quite go all the way.

There are some enemy gangs and they have leaders, lieutenants, goons, etc. and you can hunt them down and kill them in order to weaken the operations and move in on them and stuff, but I don't think it dynamically generates new gang members or they level up and gain traits or anything fun like that. Lame!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

Camera is required for absolutely anything to do with PSVR. The Move is not, but apparently it's strongly recommended. But yeah a common theme in all the write ups I've seen is that the setup suffers a lot from the Move and camera being 6-year-old tech that serve to drag the rest of the experience down. I can understand why Sony decided to recycle them because not doing so surely would have added a lot to the system's cost but there's no question that motion tracking tech has advanced a lot since those peripherals first came ou

I hope that Sony's plan is to leverage their old peripherals for the first PSVR rev just to keep the price down and eventually release an updated kit that's better integrated with more accurate tracking. Early adopters who are all hyped up might put up with these issues, but no one else will. I'm already feeling better about not getting the preorder. I think I'm gonna wait for at least one more Battlezone-quality release before I start thinking seriously about getting a PSVR (maybe RIGS). A bunch of gee-whiz demos with tracking issues just isn't gonna do it for me.

I guess that money's going toward a PS4 Pro :unsmigghh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the store thread, but, wait, apparently Thumper is coming out next week?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Manatee Cannon posted:

nobody should be surprised that launch vr is disappointing. it will take time for devs to do much with it because it's so new. the next iteration of vr headsets is likely where you'll see fully fledged games that aren't just one off gimmicks

I'm not buying a vr headset any time soon, but I do hope enough people do because eventually it could be really cool. it just wasn't ever gonna be at launch

Thing is, if not enough people pick it up there won't be a next iteration of VR headsets.

The GB guys said the PSVR has the best selection of games they actually want to play of all the headsets available, but the head tracking (using now-old tech) just isn't good enough and lets it down massively.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

Ya, I hate the idea that they are doing it and I don't buy for a minute that games won't eventually run poorly on the standard PS4 as they focus on the Pro. I think Sony will get relaxed about it after awhile when the backlash would be lower.

But since it is done, if you will benefit enough from a Pro (4k tv or the PSVR apparently), then I don't see a problem in getting it. It sets a precedent, but I see next gen being more of a PC + Nintendo console gen anyway unless PS and XB push some more exclusives.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

glam rock hamhock posted:

I posted this in the store thread, but, wait, apparently Thumper is coming out next week?
Yes, Thumper is out next week

Rhythm action game Thumper out next week

http://www.pcgamer.com/rhythm-action-game-thumper-out-next-week/

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

CrashCat posted:

Yes, Thumper is out next week

Rhythm action game Thumper out next week

http://www.pcgamer.com/rhythm-action-game-thumper-out-next-week/

idgi

Anything happening next week?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MZ posted:

Thing is, if not enough people pick it up there won't be a next iteration of VR headsets.

that's what the second line of my post is talking about

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

What if it made Rocket League even better?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Detective No. 27 posted:

What if it made Rocket League even better?

You can't improve perfection.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Trash Trick posted:

Don't tell me how to live my life!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

You can't improve perfection.
Yeah. It already has hats.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I guess Sony and Bethesda worked something out because mods are back on for Skyrim and Fallout 4 in what sounds like a diminished form?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Didn't this exact same song and dance play out with Unreal Tournament III a decade ago?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

That makes perfect sense given Sony's track record.

I remember them removing some editor features from Disgaea 4 because they didn't want it used to make offensive or potentially copyright infringing content.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nail Rat posted:

Didn't this exact same song and dance play out with Unreal Tournament III a decade ago?

I did some stuff with that and I remember they let people upload basically any kind of mods, and eventually if you loaded too many that were too powerful for the PS3 you could potentially fry it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Props to Bethesda for working on that. I poo poo on them a lot but at least they sorted it out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MZ posted:

I doubt that, if Sony believes in VR as much as they appear to then they won't let fixable problems like tracking issues stop them. If PSVR flops they'll definitely take another whack at it. (I'm still pretty sure this PSVR launch is for establishing the platform and building up a library, not necessarily selling a bunch of units.)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

"Mod support will come to Skyrim first." Oh gently caress you sure I'll wait even longer, you dicks

Oh well, that's business, gotta sell new poo poo first before you worry about making what you already sold

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm lollin at skyrim and FO4 running at 4K on the pro though. Can't wait to see what sort of single digit frame rates Bethesda can produce on that one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trash Trick posted:

It sounds more like the pro dev kit has tools to quickly create different profiles out of the base ps4 version than having two separate targets for real but i understand your point in spirit

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Housh posted:

Weird I didn't even realize it was a Friday release. That doesn't happen often. I'm still fully into Destiny.

Now that amazon.ca gives two weeks after launch for 20% discount I may cancel and see how the reviews/general consensus goes.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 5, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Shadows of Mordor is really fun but I still see why I didn't get into it the first time I tried to play. The early game is really bad about letting you gently caress off doing open-world poo poo without realizing that the game hasn't yet unlocked or explained a ton of mechanics or just its basic structure since that stuff's hidden behind the main quest. I know some games (Zeldas?) are notorious for spanning the tutorial over like eight hours but feel like they would've done better to confine you to a small part of the map and/or not populate the world with collectibles and sidequests until you've beelined the story for a little while.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mafia III:

I just want to see how well they pull off that story and setting. Hope it's not ACIII levels bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a part where you get to machine gun a Klan rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

There's a part where you get to machine gun a Klan rally.

Sold !

• Locked thread