Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endbuster posted:

Weow. Uh naw man. Here is an example of why you're uninformed about the subject. Quit your bullshit about prices you clearly don't understand.

Look at this hard to believe reasonably price gaming computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/crkDZ8

Stop believing the lies that IGN feeds you and free your mind. I can understand it if PC gaming seems hard and complex but the computer I linked in the above is much faster than an Xbone.

lmao this is a fantastic troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DogonCrook posted:

oh right i always head to the forums to make sure there's no special instructions for my automatically patched software...

Yeah when I have problems I just sit and throw tantrums instead of looking for a fix.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Keket posted:

There can only be one! :byodood:

and it looks like its me...still :v:

Pinny fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 5, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I need to figure out this drifting poo poo. Doesn't work too well on the wheel it seems. Or at all. I have less difficulties doing it on the more realistic sims. :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What are you guys using for jumps? There are a few long jumps that my 1500hp Audi can't get within 100' of making.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I need to figure out this drifting poo poo. Doesn't work too well on the wheel it seems. Or at all. I have less difficulties doing it on the more realistic sims. :(

The thing that is loving me up in drift zones is the traffic. I drive all over the map and see very light traffic, sometimes a full minute between seeing other cars, and then the second I enter a drift zone it's like rush hour in Manhattan. It has to be something they did intentionally and it is irritating as all gently caress and I hate it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It is about goddamn time they put a Crown Victoria in this game!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Cubey posted:

The thing that is loving me up in drift zones is the traffic. I drive all over the map and see very light traffic, sometimes a full minute between seeing other cars, and then the second I enter a drift zone it's like rush hour in Manhattan. It has to be something they did intentionally and it is irritating as all gently caress and I hate it.

cant you set up a blueprint bucket list for those? i think i remember being able to set up one for a speed trap and remove the traffic. If you cant or it doesn't count try doing it in the middle of the night, there is less traffic.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Cubey posted:

it defeats the entire point of the car. the rotary is the thing it has going for it, it is otherwise not a particularly remarkable vehicle. a v8 swap makes more sens in literally any other car on the planet.

it'd be like buying an mr2 and then cramming an engine in the front and taking out the one in the back. like why even bother buying the car.

there's also the fact that v8 swapped rx7s are more of a bro car than f150s with chinese lift kits.

That's the beauty of it, man.

Ugh, gently caress. I hope to god somebody has cut up an MR2 and jammed a fuckin engine in the front. Or better yet, just dual engines and 2 drivetrains. "Monster Escudo" style. uuuuuughghghhghhhhnnnnnnnnng.

Car culture is a hard thing to wrap a feeble mind around, but once you start thinking freely all sorts of stupid things are magically possible when you just let go of what should be "normal". There's a guy out in Cali that buys vans, chops the tops down 8 inches or so, then puts small block v8s in the back to do wheelies. There was once a pioneer that envisioned a VW Beetle sitting on 40's with an offroad suspension. There's an entire subset of JDM culture that makes cars look like bad 1980's acid trips and b-rated movies (bosuzoku). A man once decided to take a Ford F150 and give it 4-way steering with full time four wheel drive and created BIGFOOT.

Somebody, somewhere, decided jamming giant engines in small cars would be fun, and the rx7 v8 swap eventually happened after years of stuffing big engines in little cars. Its not the fact that the car has a rotary that makes it special, its the fact that somebody somewhere replaced it with what they thought would be more fun that makes the car outstanding.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

All you guys whining about frame rate and stuttering need to man up and lock to 30 fps. It's fine

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DogonCrook posted:

cant you set up a blueprint bucket list for those? i think i remember being able to set up one for a speed trap and remove the traffic. If you cant or it doesn't count try doing it in the middle of the night, there is less traffic.

Just tried this, didn't contribute to getting any stars. Driving at night seems to have no effect on how overcrowded drift zones are.

Speed zones also have this problem. It is super annoying in both cases.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

wolrah posted:

Start>Run winver

If you're not on 14393.222 you need to update.

I'm running the latest version. I made sure yesterday while I was troubleshooting a multitude of FH3 problems.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
SWEET JESUS somebody actually did it.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-twin-engined-toyota-mr2corolla/

C'mon Forza, where's the can-do attitude to let me do this to an MR2 in game. Clearly this is a good thing.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Cubey posted:

Just tried this, didn't contribute to getting any stars. Driving at night seems to have no effect on how overcrowded drift zones are.

Speed zones also have this problem. It is super annoying in both cases.

Ive noticed when i swap cars it sometimes takes awhile before the drivatars match me. Maybe that happens too with traffic if you load into nighttime instead of letting the clock run? they could just spawn cars there which sucks. Im positive the traffic dies down though, even in speed traps because the front road of surfer bay and the highway does for sure. I haven't started working on the drift zones yet though so i dunno.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What is the difference between Forza 6 and Forza 6 Apex?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Cubey posted:

the rotary is the thing it has going for it, it is otherwise not a particularly remarkable vehicle.

it's beautiful though, we're not talkin about rx-8s here lol

anway, in regards to high performance gimmicks i am currently trying the Tesla out.

It's as good as it is boring:

Pros:
No engine sound
"Ludicrous" 0-60 times lol
Easy to drive

Cons:
No engine sound
1 gear
Kinda boring to drive
Minimal customization/upgrade options available

Will it drift?

Yes. But you lose much of the control options in regards to upshifting/downshifting when doing long lines and changing directions mid-drift.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well, I'm finally getting to the core of my problems; my save is corrupted. After crashing more and more, right before my issues with the reinstall and all that, the game ended up crashing after attempting to load the game from the main menu. Again and again, reinstall after reinstall. Tried reinstalling my video drivers, tried with the new patch, checked my windows version, everything.

So I reset the app, cancelled the cloud sync and started a new game. Loaded up completely fine. I force-closed the app before it could attempt a save to the cloud, but I was in game and driving. Reset the app again, synced my old save from the cloud. Crashes after pressing "Continue", just like before. I think I might have put 20 hours or so into the save before everything went to hell, so the game definitely, like, works on my computer, but something's whack.

So I guess I can either wait for yet another patch, or just start the whole thing all over again. Don't mind it too much, but it's still stupid, and I might just risk the whole thing repeating.

Or is there a third option?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 5, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Apex is just a demo, it only has a handful of cars and tracks available.

Fayez Butts posted:

All you guys whining about frame rate and stuttering need to man up and lock to 30 fps. It's fine

But someone just told me a duocore PC setup can play this at 4K, 60FPS, so what the gently caress???

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Going from memory here, Forza 6 is a full game that costs money and is only on xbone. Forza 6 Apex is a free cutdown version of Forza 6 that is only on Win10.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I shouldn't post without refreshing the thread first, since dragging up poo poo from over a page ago isn't a good look.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Endbuster posted:

That's the beauty of it, man.

Ugh, gently caress. I hope to god somebody has cut up an MR2 and jammed a fuckin engine in the front. Or better yet, just dual engines and 2 drivetrains. "Monster Escudo" style. uuuuuughghghhghhhhnnnnnnnnng.

Car culture is a hard thing to wrap a feeble mind around, but once you start thinking freely all sorts of stupid things are magically possible when you just let go of what should be "normal". There's a guy out in Cali that buys vans, chops the tops down 8 inches or so, then puts small block v8s in the back to do wheelies. There was once a pioneer that envisioned a VW Beetle sitting on 40's with an offroad suspension. There's an entire subset of JDM culture that makes cars look like bad 1980's acid trips and b-rated movies (bosuzoku). A man once decided to take a Ford F150 and give it 4-way steering with full time four wheel drive and created BIGFOOT.

Somebody, somewhere, decided jamming giant engines in small cars would be fun, and the rx7 v8 swap eventually happened after years of stuffing big engines in little cars. Its not the fact that the car has a rotary that makes it special, its the fact that somebody somewhere replaced it with what they thought would be more fun that makes the car outstanding.

Yep, coming from a time when putting in Integra Type R motors in civic hatchbacks were a big deal. I remember reading about this swap years ago and it blew my mind that it was even possible. The crazy thing is that it almost fit perfectly or something right?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tomie knows me posted:

I shouldn't post without refreshing the thread first, since dragging up poo poo from over a page ago isn't a good look.
Hey, some of us have a reputation to protect!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Fayez Butts posted:

I have the exact setup they have for recommended and struggle to get a constant stable fps at medium locking it at 30.

Pinny posted:

and it looks like its me...still :v:

You might want to go have a little look at the others.

Keket fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 5, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tomie knows me posted:

i think you should, because anything is better than this page

and a question, when do i start getting the numbered race cars? I see a bunch of ones in the auction house but whenever i try to bid on them it says the required data cannot be downloaded from the marketplace?

Oh, preorder, gotcha.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 5, 2016

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Fayez Butts posted:

That's what I was doing before the patch and it was all fine, but now post-patch I'm getting stuttering even with it locked. This is on a GTX 770 though, which is probably on the edge of the actual, practical system requirements. Oh well, I'd been meaning to get a GTX 1070 anyway.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

To further elaborate on what the others have said:

It's Free, provided you're willing to use Win10 and the Win10 store.
It lacks a large number of cars as compared to FM6.
It lacks a large number of tracks compared to FM6.
You cannot customise your car.
You do not "buy" your car as you would in any other Forza game or in the good NFS games. You unlock them with tokens you either a) buy with real money or b) earn in game by achieving goals in races.

If you want to see how well your PC would run FM6, give it a shot. If you want to see if you like the driving mechanics, give it a shot.
Otherwise, pass. It's not that it's bad. For Free it's actually quite good. But it's just not that good in an "overall" sense.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

It finally recognizes my G27. Wow, this is some really loving terrible FFB. Why the hell is there a center spring? Why don't the effects of the caster drive the drat wheel centering (or opposite of that during funny business)?
Yeah welcome to the land of awful FFB! After playing with all the new sliders they gave us with yesterday's patch I gave up and just turned down the FFB. You just end up fighting the centering in scenarios where there should be almost no tension on the wheel. It seems all it does is recenter the wheel and vibrate when you hit something. Developer: "FFB = (250 - speed) * angle" ok check off force feedback from the taskboard.

Does your G27 also have a little bit of slack in it when centered as well?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Once again the non super cars are the best in the pack

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Cant you turn off centering in the logitech drivers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CapnBry posted:

Yeah welcome to the land of awful FFB! After playing with all the new sliders they gave us with yesterday's patch I gave up and just turned down the FFB. You just end up fighting the centering in scenarios where there should be almost no tension on the wheel. It seems all it does is recenter the wheel and vibrate when you hit something. Developer: "FFB = (250 - speed) * angle" ok check off force feedback from the taskboard.
I like the way PCARS2 does it currently. No center spring at all. The virtual steering rack dictates what way the wheel pulls. Consequently, if you're in a standstill and turn your wheel, it stays in the position, it doesn't spring back. It's simple things like that, that help with realism.

CapnBry posted:

Does your G27 also have a little bit of slack in it when centered as well?
Yeah, that's normal due to the way the wheel is designed. It can't build up tension when the wheel is centered.

OhsH posted:

Cant you turn off centering in the logitech drivers?
You can turn it off in the game, too. But then the steering doesn't spring back when you expect it to. Say you turn in 90° and hit the throttle, the car will drive in a circle endlessly. A real car would center the steering wheel, due to the effect of the caster on the steering rack (e.g. the front wheels of a shopping trolley). Unless you have near-zero caster. Or drive in reverse. Or some negative setup (which cars usually don't have), where every effect is quasi reversed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 5, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Sounds you might have to compromise in this open world bad ffb arcade racer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, well, doesn't need some sophisticated simulation, they could have done some simple poo poo like scale the center spring force based speed and grip (or lack thereof).

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, well, they didn't, because i am assuming they realized a lot more people will still be on controller, even in the PC market, and phoned in the ffb.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

OhsH posted:

Yeah, well, they didn't, because i am assuming they realized a lot more people will still be on controller, even in the PC market, and phoned in the ffb.
It is just disappointing considering the amount of physics they are doing. I mean look at the stats page and it says everything from tire loads to temepratures and suspension strokes, have whole sections of the game based around sliding and drifting and offroad cornering, yet so little effort is put into the FFB. I really enjoy the game and it looks great and I am having fun, but I also thought that about racing games on the original XBOX playing with the controller. It seems like they're at least trying to make it better as evidenced by the patch including a lot of wheel options and fixes, so I still have some hope that it might get better.

Although I have to say that hope is very small. I am kind of surprised there was even a patch at all. I still have the console developer mindset that once you go gold everybody goes and gets a new job, but I guess that is a little different now?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hell, if you hit T on the keyboard you get the telemetry up and watching that poo poo bounce around whilst offroading is something.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.
I've got a G920, which was kinda sorta working before the patch with settings at 100% FFB and 100% vibration. After the patch? They defaulted it to "invert FFB". I don't even. I cranked the wheel centering to 200, and it's back to "works ok" levels, but the FFB is definitely poo poo.

My real problem with the FFB and wheel support in general though is that both before and after the patch I've also been getting weird little game hitches for a second or two randomly that generates RuntimeBroker.exe crashes in the event log, tied to a logitech dll every 20-40 minutes. When this occurs, the FFB sticks on at the level it was at when the hitching occurred, which ranges from "none" to "shake the fillings out of your teeth", with the normal FFB stopping altogether, and to ice it off, the actual wheel center shifts to the position the wheel was in when the error occurred. The race also continues while the game hitches, so I usually end up buried in the side of a barn 30 feet from the track. Needless to say, finishing the race in that state is... difficult.

Have to unplug and replug the wheel to get it to right itself. The odd thing is that occasionally it just stops happening, and I can play trouble-free for hours.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Keket posted:

You might want to go have a little look at the others.

Well, there goes my evening then

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
So I was being stupid and I started this on the PC, which crashed when I went to save it so I started it again on the console.

Anyone want a copy when I get finished with it?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

MaNiAk posted:

So I was being stupid and I started this on the PC, which crashed when I went to save it so I started it again on the console.

Anyone want a copy when I get finished with it?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Pinny posted:

Well, there goes my evening then

If you want to drift around sometime give me a shout, you got a mic or skype or something?

• Locked thread