Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our management are cracking down on people who react less than positively about events that occur in the workplace, because actually dealing with the issues that lead to poor morale is evidently beyond their capability. I have been indirectly accused of being one half of the reason why an employee resigned to get a much better job elsewhere, in the industry he moved to this country to work in.

The wilful misunderstanding on display here is truly incredible.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Steakandchips posted:

No reviews and a bonus.

This is a good thing.

In a sense, yes. It's been years since I worked for someone I thought was qualified to give me a meaningful review. I reaaaaally don't want one from the current idiots. I might die of blood loss from repeatedly biting my tongue.

I get a good salary, I'm close to home, I do little work. But I'm not looking to do no work. I want to have something to do all day, something that is occasionally meaningful. I want to develop skills, not feel my brain shriveling as I sit here. I'm turning 50 soon, I've been at this a long time. I want to use my skills and feel good about what I do for a living.

It would be nice to work somewhere where I receive at least the minimum effort from my boss. I would start with the minimum and then maybe before I die I would get... more than the minimum!

:allears:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sheep posted:

Got to spend half an hour today rewriting our laptop return form letter to try to stop people doing dumb poo poo like putting them inside USPS flat rate mailers instead of the specially padded laptop boxes which we specifically provide for this purpose.

I've gotten countless laptops from online sellers in those boxes with nothing more than maybe a thin piece of bubble wrap and somehow none of them have arrived broken or even damaged.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We're moving to Oracle Cloud and the contractors we have are not great. In fact, they're pretty bad. One of their latest things is that they need us to create an email address, so I asked them what they needed it for. Turns out it needs to be set up so that all mail going to this address gets redirected to some email address at cloud.oracle.com. And it turns out it's only for our MFPs to scan to. Why can't they just put this email address on the scanner's address book? This is a brand new workflow, it's not like we're changing an existing email address redirection rule.

But, we got it set up the way they wanted, and then after they started testing it I got this:

quote:

We are using the outlook email to route the email to the scanned Invoice Email Address. However the Invoices are getting created duplicate. Here is what Oracle is suggesting. I am not technical to understand this. Please help

In the Windows server, there was a second import server process causing the duplicates. This process was killed and import server restarted.
I don't understand because as far as I know there isn't a Windows server involved in their process. All the emails are coming from canon@domain.com and are getting correctly routed to their cloud.oracle.com address. As far as I can tell, there isn't a Windows server involved in this process at all, and it sounds extremely like it's Not My Problem. Also, gently caress Oracle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/oracle/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wouldn't a message trace show you if the correct quantity of messages is leaving your email server?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Wouldn't a message trace show you if the correct quantity of messages is leaving your email server?
Yes! And it does!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In which case

anthonypants posted:

Not My Problem. Also, gently caress Oracle.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

A ticket came in today requesting a Wordpress installation because "Confluence isn't a good fit for our team's workflow."
Nevermind that only 1 person on their team (who moved out of state recently) has logged into Confluence since we deployed it 10 months ago.
Eat my rear end if you want me to deploy and support loving Wordpress as an internal CMS.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

In a sense, yes. It's been years since I worked for someone I thought was qualified to give me a meaningful review. I reaaaaally don't want one from the current idiots. I might die of blood loss from repeatedly biting my tongue.

I get a good salary, I'm close to home, I do little work. But I'm not looking to do no work. I want to have something to do all day, something that is occasionally meaningful. I want to develop skills, not feel my brain shriveling as I sit here. I'm turning 50 soon, I've been at this a long time. I want to use my skills and feel good about what I do for a living.

It would be nice to work somewhere where I receive at least the minimum effort from my boss. I would start with the minimum and then maybe before I die I would get... more than the minimum!

:allears:

DT, I like you, but if work is what you say it is, then do personal projects on the side while at work, and better yourself. You don't need idiots higher up than you giving you projects to better yourself; you can do that on your own.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Jesus Christ I am so tired of finding torn up environments that my company is 'managing'. The other day i had to seize FSMO roles on a domain from a DC that hadn't been at the site for like eight months. Having issues with a DC that was never promoted and just left at a site for months. Checking replication status now, and waddya know these sites aren't even replicating properly. gently caress. I don't even know how some of this poo poo functions, or how my idiot coworkers keep running into the same drat problems, throw a loving bandaid on it, then close the ticket and call it a day. Put on your big boy pants and learn a thing or two. Don't take some bullshit title and think you're loving class A work setting up a print server is worth anything. If you don't know how DNS works or why you shouldn't randomly have servers and network devices doing DHCP across the same network maybe you're in the wrong field.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Jesus Christ I am so tired of finding torn up environments that my company is 'managing'. The other day i had to seize FSMO roles on a domain from a DC that hadn't been at the site for like eight months. Having issues with a DC that was never promoted and just left at a site for months. Checking replication status now, and waddya know these sites aren't even replicating properly. gently caress. I don't even know how some of this poo poo functions, or how my idiot coworkers keep running into the same drat problems, throw a loving bandaid on it, then close the ticket and call it a day. Put on your big boy pants and learn a thing or two. Don't take some bullshit title and think you're loving class A work setting up a print server is worth anything. If you don't know how DNS works or why you shouldn't randomly have servers and network devices doing DHCP across the same network maybe you're in the wrong field.

Oh you work with me too huh?

Nothing infuriates me more than having to talk to someone that then says "yeah I talked to someone last week and it worked for a day but now it doesn't"

Effectively using GPOs or dare I say using them correctly seems to be beyond the reach of some.

Having to explain what a SRV record was to two people multiple paybands above me who are actively engineering environments was an experience. You have Engineer II in your title. I shouldn't have to explain why accounts are repeatedly getting locked out by RDP brute force or suggest a solution to this to you. :argh:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

I'm doing a sweep of our second HQ after a coworker resigned. The place was a magic black box, shrouded in secrecy up until now- he refused to share any details. I knew it was bad, I just truly was not expect it to be THIS bad.

2006 HP EVA FC storage system running contract critical storage (8TB. lol)
2007 HP MSL FC tape library LTO-4 running critical backups
2006 C7000 chassis running critical accounting services
Cisco 9509 FC switch- unresponsive to console, but chugging along none the less
U360 SCSI hdd's in two machines related to the EVA SAN
Multiple Failed HDD's in variety of servers
Raid 0 arrays as OS drives.
Random firewalls, switches, severs, that have been long migrated off and are still racked+powered
More failed batteries in UPS's then good ones- most with 11' dates
Netapp Filer that won't allow you to console in running production data
Entire racks dedicated to 1-2 pieces of gear, because I've got the space why the hell not?
Only 1 in 20 devices are under contract/support.

And more and more and more...
This is after FOUR 20FT box trucks hauled away the ewaste collection of P4's, CRT's, 3 racks of Hitachi storage, etc etc.

Pissing me off v2: I'm too busy to even have a drink.

The more I dig, the more I realize I've just scratched the surface. Today's fun: Active Directory- with over 250 users for a 40 person site? Firewalls- Rules disabling internal SNMP across subnets and our VPN MESH. Service accounts- who needs them when you can just use domain admin for EVERYTHING! :shepicide:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh you work with me too huh?

Nothing infuriates me more than having to talk to someone that then says "yeah I talked to someone last week and it worked for a day but now it doesn't"

Hahaha yep! 'Welp idk I mean why look at the root cause of this :shrug:

quote:

Effectively using GPOs or dare I say using them correctly seems to be beyond the reach of some.

And what's so scary about them? They're self ex-loving-planatory!

quote:

Having to explain what a SRV record was to two people multiple paybands above me who are actively engineering environments was an experience. You have Engineer II in your title. I shouldn't have to explain why accounts are repeatedly getting locked out by RDP brute force or suggest a solution to this to you. :argh:

I asked an 'engineer' the other day: why do we have a DC with 13,000 errors on it a day? You don't know? Well some stupid SonicWall is set to try and use LDAP integration using the built in directory administrator account whose password has since changed and for whatever reason is trying to perform and LDAP bind every 15 or so seconds with bad credentials. Ignoring all the extremely stupid implications, you would know that if you followed up on a report that literally was telling you there were 10k+ errors a day on it and no that isn't normal.

I'm no good at this stuff. Being on a team where everyone is worse than me and hates learning is scary

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

You live in a world where an SMS text message is enough to compromise your cellphone, and opening an email in Outlook is on par with visiting a webpage in Internet Explorer. It's well past time for you to come out from under that rock.

Funny enough I'm not that paranoid and my resting heartrate is half yours, yet I still haven't been infected by miraculous 0day cryptovirus123.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SEKCobra posted:

Funny enough I'm not that paranoid and my resting heartrate is half yours, yet I still haven't been infected by miraculous 0day cryptovirus123.

Just stop. FFS, we get it, you live on the cutting edge of security and have no fear.

We disagree on security. No need for you to continue to threadshit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SEKCobra posted:

Weren't you the guy who was getting hosed over at work a year ago?

Can you go back there, you weren't such an rear end in a top hat then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A particular user that drives me insane cc:'s herself on every email she sends.

I decide to ask why she does that. Maybe she doesn't know about the sent items folder in Outlook? Maybe her sent items folder disappeared?

Her reply: "It's my way of tracking'

I said: "You know each sent message goes to the sent items folder as well, right?"

Her reply: "I also copy them to my calendar for future reference"

I just quit responding.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Bob Morales posted:

I decide to ask why she does that. Maybe she doesn't know about the sent items folder in Outlook? Maybe her sent items folder disappeared?

I said: "You know each sent message goes to the sent items folder as well, right?"

I just quit responding.

Strange. One of our clients called earlier this morning asking about a user doing the same thing. The client thought the user may be trying to steal IP.
He was also "tracking"... Who the gently caress teaches these people to do this?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dogstile posted:

Weren't you the guy who was getting hosed over at work a year ago?

Can you go back there, you weren't such an rear end in a top hat then.

That's actually quite funny because at my old place a superior sent a virus to a coworker and then got pissed at him for opening it.
Still, I don't get why you guys are scared of emails, it's such a simple and old technology and at least in my experience an absolutely tiny amount of viruses is self executing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Our management are cracking down on people who react less than positively about events that occur in the workplace, because actually dealing with the issues that lead to poor morale is evidently beyond their capability. I have been indirectly accused of being one half of the reason why an employee resigned to get a much better job elsewhere, in the industry he moved to this country to work in.

The wilful misunderstanding on display here is truly incredible.

Citizen, be happy or corrective measures will be employed!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

That's actually quite funny because at my old place a superior sent a virus to a coworker and then got pissed at him for opening it.
Still, I don't get why you guys are scared of emails, it's such a simple and old technology and at least in my experience an absolutely tiny amount of viruses is self executing.

:v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

I realize your work experience up till now has taught you everything is hunky dory but honestly your career is basically a ticking timebomb of "When" it happens not if. Most major organizations and admins don't treat security as a "Real" thing until they've been slammed hard into a wall at least once. You'll learn, most of us did at some point. Sasser was my "Learnin" experience.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SEKCobra posted:

Operative term highlighted. Your experience is not the sole determining factor of risk. When it comes to security, the safe practice is to always assume there's someone smarter than you, because believe me, everything is breakable. Just a reminder that up until 2014 the IT community at large thought SSL was bulletproof until Heartbleed showed up. Never assume you're bulletproof - that's when the worst hacks hit.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I realize your work experience up till now has taught you everything is hunky dory but honestly your career is basically a ticking timebomb of "When" it happens not if. Most major organizations and admins don't treat security as a "Real" thing until they've been slammed hard into a wall at least once. You'll learn, most of us did at some point. Sasser was my "Learnin" experience.

This dude knows what's up. My work saw the 2nd Sony hack, the big one that was supposedly in response to The Interview, and collectively poo poo themselves. 2015/2016 was spent exclusively rolling out security measures that up till this point had been ignored.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Rhymenoserous posted:

I dunno, maybe I am reckless. But I just don't feel like there's much of a threat from common viruses. We've got Kaspersky running, networks are segregated and I am doing my damndest to get privilege hoarders down to the smallest set I can give them. There have been several crypto virus outbreaks of all flavors, but they have all been easy to contain, and backups are always there to fix things if nothing else works. Maybe I am missing some huge vector leaving me open for catastrophic failure, but I just don't see it. Feel free to clue me in tho.

No sarcasm btw.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
In case anyone cares, I did get that Anker lap, and I love it. It's fantastic and works perfectly. It's slightly shorter than I measured, but I just lowered my monitors a little bit. 10/10 would eat here again.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Strange. One of our clients called earlier this morning asking about a user doing the same thing. The client thought the user may be trying to steal IP.
He was also "tracking"... Who the gently caress teaches these people to do this?

There is actually a training regime that teaches users to do this. You see, if the inbox is your to-do list, then the email coming in means that you have the most up to date piece of the conversation ready to go! You can also search in a single place for details on subject XYZ!

Unfortunately, copying yourself hasn't been needed since pretty much every client switched to threaded viewing of messages. I've still seen users attend several different trainings in these methods, though. :(

Full disclosure: I do the unread=watching thing with my inbox and only use rules for useless/routine messages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I dunno, maybe I am reckless. But I just don't feel like there's much of a threat from common viruses. We've got Kaspersky running, networks are segregated and I am doing my damndest to get privilege hoarders down to the smallest set I can give them. There have been several crypto virus outbreaks of all flavors, but they have all been easy to contain, and backups are always there to fix things if nothing else works. Maybe I am missing some huge vector leaving me open for catastrophic failure, but I just don't see it. Feel free to clue me in tho.

No sarcasm btw.

I'm not trying to being flippant here, but the "open vector" is you. Once you think you have all the holes plugged and you're not at significant risk is probably when you're most vulnerable. Hubris is the biggest risk in information security.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

flosofl posted:

I'm not trying to being flippant here, but the "open vector" is you. Once you think you have all the holes plugged and you're not at significant risk is probably when you're most vulnerable. Hubris is the biggest risk in information security.

I don't think I'm invincible or anything, hell I'm certain a targeted attack would easily disrupt things a lot, but thinking in everyday terms I don't feel like I have to devote myself to AV & co.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SEKCobra posted:

I don't think I'm invincible or anything, hell I'm certain a targeted attack would easily disrupt things a lot, but thinking in everyday terms I don't feel like I have to devote myself to AV & co.

You don't have to be paranoid or on edge with a high heart-rate or constantly freaking out to be constantly mindful of security. Opening a known virus email with an admin privilege account is risky. Shrugging it off with "Eh Outlook preview isn't that bad, chances of zero-day are low, Kaspersky is running, no biggie" is stupid as gently caress.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You don't have to be paranoid or on edge with a high heart-rate or constantly freaking out to be constantly mindful of security. Opening a known virus email with an admin privilege account is risky. Shrugging it off with "Eh Outlook preview isn't that bad, chances of zero-day are low, Kaspersky is running, no biggie" is stupid as gently caress.

To be fair, Outlook preview is off and you shouldn't be using an admin privilege account.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I just called a customer to reschedule due to the storm and I got a modem somehow. Who the gently caress still has dial-up in TYOOL 2016? :aaa:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SEKCobra posted:

To be fair, Outlook preview is off and you shouldn't be using an admin privilege account.

Wait. You are telling me that every single person in the IT department shouldn't have domain admin rights on their regular account?

Welcome to my hell.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

D34THROW posted:

I just called a customer to reschedule due to the storm and I got a modem somehow. Who the gently caress still has dial-up in TYOOL 2016? :aaa:

You got their fax line maybe?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Moey posted:

Wait. You are telling me that every single person in the IT department shouldn't have domain admin rights on their regular account?

Welcome to my hell.

Really you shouldn't, you should have your regular user account and then an elevated account to use when you need elevated privileges. If you really want to go crazy with it, use something like ERPM and then you have to check out the password, put a reason for doing so, when you're done, you check it in, and the password spins.

*edit*

This is also useful for a reason other than security, it keeps lazy admins from loving up when they make a change and not realizing it works for an admin user but not for a regular user.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Pissing me off: nosy project managers.

My team was moved into a new building built to be a "collaborative space" and the project managers, BAs, and everyone else came with. As such our cubicles have even less privacy than normal.

I like to keep something or another on YouTube playing on one of my monitors in a small window to keep a part of my brain occupied. Usually something like a podcast. My manager has no problem with this, nor does my team lead, but now that one of the project managers can easily see my screens she is registering complaints about it. She is a very nosy person and I really hate how she gets in everyone's business.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Khisanth Magus posted:

My team was moved into a new building built to be a "collaborative space" and the project managers, BAs, and everyone else came with. As such our cubicles have even less privacy than normal.

I like to keep something or another on YouTube playing on one of my monitors in a small window to keep a part of my brain occupied. Usually something like a podcast. My manager has no problem with this, nor does my team lead, but now that one of the project managers can easily see my screens she is registering complaints about it. She is a very nosy person and I really hate how she gets in everyone's business.

Is it her job to manage you? Why is she wasting all of her Very Important Time watching what you're doing? Sounds like she should be written up for wasting time being the youtube police.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

The only reason a project manager should register complaints is if deadlines aren't being met, communication isn't kept up, or scheduled / reserved resources aren't available.

What does she care if you have youtube open if her projects are in good standing?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

You got their fax line maybe?

Weekly reminder that faxes are still a thing requiring support. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

I just quit responding.

A lot of our users do this as standard procedure, and are TRAINED to do so when they come in.

I literally had a small department that stored important emails they wished to keep in the Deleted Items folder. They flipped out when we turned on purging of those folders after 90 days. One person had trained everyone that came into the department that putting things there was appropriate. Someone said, "And so to file that away for reference later, we put it in the DELETED ITEMS folder."

At this point I just trust that server/storage side deduplication helps.

The biggest lie told today en masse is people listing themselves as PROFICIENT IN MICROSOFT OFFICE on their resumes.