Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

You know who's really getting the shaft here? Art Briles.

I believe it was the victims that got the shaft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

pillsburysoldier posted:

He deserves some justice, agreed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

I mean, we also have to consider Ken Starr.

e:

big juicy nectarine posted:

He deserves some justice, agreed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Metapod posted:

:stonk:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Metapod posted:

:holymoley:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
i just want to read that darned pepper hamilton report!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Scionix posted:

i just want to read that darned pepper hamilton report!!!

It's like the Illiad, it can only be passed on by storytellers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Woman who led Baylor sex assault investigation speaks out after resigning

quote:

“I continued to work hard and the harder I worked, the more resistance I received from senior leadership. That became clear that that was not something the university wanted and in July, I made it clear and ready that I had concerns and that the university was violating Title IX and my environment got worse,” Crawford told “CBS This Morning” Wednesday.

quote:

"I never had the authority, the resources, or the independence to do the job appropriately, which the Department of Education writes in its guidance for Title IX coordinators in universities,” Crawford said. She said that included being disconnected from meetings and conversations, and the university “making decisions only a Title IX coordinator should make, based on protection for the brand.

Not a great look, but Baylor kind of beat her to the punch in their own press release yesterday.

quote:

Crawford’s attorney, Rogge Dunn -- who joined her on “CBS This Morning” -- defended his client’s request for a million dollars and book and movie rights, saying

“There was a mediation and Texas law is quite clear that you cannot comment on what took place at the mediation... In a desperate attempt to smear Patty, what they’ve done is violated Texas law. Believe me, there’s nothing I would rather tell you than what went on in that mediation because it’s in favor of Patty, but the law says that you can’t do that and we choose to follow the law, unlike Baylor University.”

So who does get the book rights?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 5, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Kick Baylor and Penn State out of their conferences, make them just schedule each other for 12 games a year.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Thoguh posted:

Kick Baylor and Penn State out of their conferences, make them just schedule each other for 12 games a year.

I say kick them to NAIA or that league from Last Chance U that's apparently just JuCos in Mississippi.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Are they seriously about to give the Title IX coordinator 1.5 million loving dollars?

Did the victims get settlements?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm down for swapping Baylor for Houston straight-up.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
, we didnt fully support a clinton created fake institution quickly enough and use our football men as police like every other school does then because we handled it so well and got real evidence from real investigations we actually got our rapists thrown in prison while various ohio alabama and bad not this state players go free

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Thoguh posted:

Build a new stadium for them to play in where the stands face away from the field.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kittenmittons posted:

Build a new stadium for them to play in where the stands face away from the field.

You can't see anything. And all you can hear is rhythmic tackling.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Former Baylor Title IX coordinator says school stood in her way

quote:

Her attorney, Rogge Dunn of Dallas, told "Outside the Lines" that Crawford increased reporting of sexual assaults and sexual violence by 700 percent, and although he did not have specific numbers, he said Crawford handled "hundreds" of cases. In 2014, the school reported that it had a total of four rapes involving students as part of its requirement to report crimes to the federal government.

Dunn said the university's upper management gave her the conflicted message of telling her to do her job, but then indicated that, "If you weren't here, we wouldn't have all these problems."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

"The view was that football was made to be a convenient scapegoat and if football was thrown under the bus, they wouldn't have to deal with it anymore," Dunn said. "She's certainly not suggesting that there wasn't a problem with football or that it wasn't heinous that what was happening. But the thought that we could just fire a couple football people and clean up the football program and the problem was solved -- that's not right."

Fuckin' bingo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chieves posted:

I'm down for swapping Baylor for Houston straight-up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

General Dog posted:

Fuckin' bingo

:qq:

Man you seriously want this so bad to be a narrative on "the football kids weren't the cause of everything thus are still defensible" don't you?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gently caress Baylor.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That Works posted:

:qq:

Man you seriously want this so bad to be a narrative on "the football kids weren't the cause of everything thus are still defensible" don't you?

He's probably right (for once) that the problem is much bigger than football. But they didn't even really, truly throw football under the bus except in some initial press either so...yeah they're just trying to make the problem go away without addressing anything. I suppose Art Briles is a pretty big sacrifice. Hell I don't know, they probably think Ken Starr is too. But the rest of the staff who were almost certainly complicit are still kicking around (including Briles' son) and it doesn't sound like the university as a whole has any interest in doing anything other than waiting for the storm to blow over.

poo poo just look at all the 'well it was off campus so it isn't our business' excuses when one student was raping another. It sounds like they're still pressing for victims names and I cannot imagine it's for any reason other than to shame them with the way everything else has gone down there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Baylor dismissed a JC transfer on Monday. School said that was Grobe's decision, Grobe said it was the school's, assistants all pull out some Art Briles hashtag

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus Christ just firebombBaylor. They've clearly lost control of their executive administration

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jesus Christ just firebombBaylor. They've clearly lost control of their executive administration

Convert the campus to the Waco Gunnery and Bombing Range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phzRY0DdRXk

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Weary of being scapegoated by the university, the football staff simultaneously tweeted the hashtag as a sign of solidarity and protest.

A day later, according to a report from KWTX, Baylor will not take any action against the staff standing up against the university and will allow the tweets to stand. From the report:

Athletic Director Mack Rhoades met privately with at least one coach late in the evening, and indicated nothing would happen to the staffers who sent tweets, sources said.

He also encouraged the coaches to focus on the season.

lol of course not

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Wait, I'm confused. Isn't it a good thing they released someone? Why the hell are both sides trying to not take credit?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

186 posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Isn't it a good thing they released someone? Why the hell are both sides trying to not take credit?

So this guy got released back in June. According to him he got a letter saying his withdraw from school was accepted even though he had not attempted to withdraw. He asked if there was a Title IX investigation against him and was told there was not. He apparently was removed for a violation of the school code of conduct. Also his old coach was told that if he transferred there would be no investigation and they would keep it a secret.

They are still doing the same thing they got in trouble for and not investigating sexual assault. They want to hide this/deflect blame.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Duckaerobics posted:

So this guy got released back in June. According to him he got a letter saying his withdraw from school was accepted even though he had not attempted to withdraw. He asked if there was a Title IX investigation against him and was told there was not. He apparently was removed for a violation of the school code of conduct. Also his old coach was told that if he transferred there would be no investigation and they would keep it a secret.

They are still doing the same thing they got in trouble for and not investigating sexual assault. They want to hide this/deflect blame.

lol, that's real? Because I'm 100% willing to believe that is real.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Is Baylor really shuffling known sexual offenders off to other communities and not telling anyone the circumstances?

Because I don't think this worked out particularly well the last time someone tried it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

skaboomizzy posted:

Is Baylor really shuffling known sexual offenders off to other communities and not telling anyone the circumstances?

Because I don't think this worked out particularly well the last time someone tried it

Australia isn't all bad.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Duckaerobics posted:

I think their resigned compliance head said they're not interested in change, they more want to put the controversy behind them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skaboomizzy posted:

see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Let's get down to the real issue though.

quote:

WACO, Texas (KWTX) A Baylor University senior is speaking out in hopes of convincing administrators to do more to defend the school’s reputation, which he says has been tarnished in the aftermath of the sexual assault scandal that engulfed the football program.

“That wonderful unique quality and characteristic of Baylor University seems to be missing." Religion and Pre-Law major Dan Huddleston said.

Huddleston admits the attitude on the campus is not good.

“I don't sense the positivity, the excitement and the love on Baylor campus like I did as a freshman and that to me is the biggest tragedy,” he said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well that is extremely unfortunate wording.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pre Law and Religion?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thats almost as big a tragedy as when those Penn State students had their weekend ruined.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I didn't even know pre-law existed as an actual major to be honest. I thought people just got degrees in things like History or Political Science or w/e while studying for the LSAT. That's what my lawyer friend did anyway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pre Law and Religion?

Someone has to make sure fags can't get married in the future.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hahahaha perfect joke

And yeah I never did pre law. Seems like a really stupid major considering you can go into law with any undergrad degree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

lol, that's real? Because I'm 100% willing to believe that is real.

As far as I know that's what happened. I'm taking that from this ESPN article though and the whole thing is confusing.

Also if there was any question if Baylor was just passing people along and not investigating anything a fourth Title IX lawsuit has been filed.

ESPN posted:

Lozano reported to police on April 11, 2014, that Chafin had grabbed her arm and slammed it against a car, in front of teammates and another witness. She provided photos of bruises on her arm to police. She told police that, weeks earlier, Chafin had grabbed her by the throat and slammed her against a wall, then threw her to the floor and kicked her, according to a police report. In that report, the officer wrote that the woman was uncertain about pressing charges, and no legal action was taken.

Chafin played in nine of 13 games the following season, including the opener. He was charged with marijuana possession in March and suspended by Briles immediately for spring practice before being reinstated to the team.

The lawsuit states that Lozano reported the first alleged assault (on March 6, 2014) to Baylor running backs coach Jeff Lebby, who said he would talk to Chafin about the incident. Prior media reports have said that Lebby admonished Chafin for the incident and assigned him extra work at practice.

ESPN posted:

The lawsuit alleges that Post "completely disregarded" Lozano's complaint and that "no further action was taken by Post, no report was filed, and the incident was disregarded as just another complaint.

Post is the women's athletic director.

He apparently attacked her a third time and slammed her to the ground after all this. He plays at some other school now.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 13, 2016

• Locked thread