Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

TMMadman posted:

So I've been reading that mafia universe game and those people are absolutely insufferable.

Yeah, it's fun to watch them cause of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

So I've been reading that mafia universe game and those people are absolutely insufferable.

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah, it's fun to watch them cause of it

This exchange is mafia.txt.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

NOTE to everyone! I'm the best $#@!ing wolf ever! If you see me posting wolfy $#@! that's just me trying to not get NK losers. There's no way I take this line as a wolf ever.
I would have you all eating out of my $#@!ing hand.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

That's how i play mafia though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed my experience there honestly, and am glad you guys sent me to play there.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

NOTE to everyone! I'm the best $#@!ing wolf ever! If you see me posting wolfy $#@! that's just me trying to not get NK losers. There's no way I take this line as a wolf ever.
I would have you all eating out of my $#@!ing hand.

He also has a 100% win rate in C9++ games!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

....................................Wolfy.

Thank you.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I enjoyed my experience there honestly, and am glad you guys sent me to play there.

If you ever think SA games are bad, go read that Mafia Universe game.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
id go again with kashuno it was fun

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
You guys get killed or something?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

You guys get killed or something?

We play mafia on the internet. Don't cry for us we're already dead

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

We play mafia on the internet. Don't cry for us we're already dead

Oh. Do the voices not speak to you?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also I have to say that mafia universe uses some really dumb abbreviations. Villa, which I'm assuming is short for vanilla, has got to be the stupidest one. You save all of two letters and if you're going to do that then just go with the nilla. Or even better just use VT.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

It's short for villager.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
they mostly use villager and wolf, not town and scum like we do.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

It's short for villager.

It's still dumb

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

they mostly use villager and wolf, not town and scum like we do.

Yeah I don't mind wolf. But villa is just stupid, even if it's for villager.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

V

W

????

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

V

W

BEETLE

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcYBu_GCagM

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
we know the one true way to play mafia, everything else is dumb and wrong

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
sorry, wolfia

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The problem with a lot of mafia communities is that a single good town player will never be able to overpower the combined stupidity of a half-dozen incompetent town players. Meanwhile, a single good scum player is essentially ineffective unless they're loving David Xanatos because trying to manipulate idiotic town is like herding deafblind cats through the power of interpretive dance.

So whatever good players there are either stoop to idiot level (or are dragged down, believing themselves to be ineffective), or they just leave.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Town of Salem with pubbies might be the most illuminating experience of my mafia posting career

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Poison Mushroom posted:

The problem with a lot of mafia communities is that a single good town player will never be able to overpower the combined stupidity of a half-dozen incompetent town players. Meanwhile, a single good scum player is essentially ineffective unless they're loving David Xanatos because trying to manipulate idiotic town is like herding deafblind cats through the power of interpretive dance.

So whatever good players there are either stoop to idiot level (or are dragged down, believing themselves to be ineffective), or they just leave.

Nah.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
there's no such thing as a 'good' mafia player, just people who post a lot

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

totino boy posted:

there's no such thing as a 'good' mafia player, just people who post a lot

I'd argue that being articulate can make a person "good" at mafia

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
that's racist

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd argue that the best way to play mafia is to ask a bunch of questions and see where inconsistencies in the answers start showing up. Cross-examination, essentially.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

EccoRaven posted:

that's racist

LMAO

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Great news: Since I left my twitter, I now have nowhere better to make my shitposts than here and/or GBS!

chill on the discord with us

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
town: keep your points short and concise. if you have a list of five scummy things someone is doing, only include the strongest two. otherwise they'll just argue down your weakest points. no one will actually read a several paragraph post. it doesn't matter if you're right, if you're town just keep pushing and trust your instincts. post every day.

scum: if your partners are decent, don't bus. every town lynch is a point for you. throwing weak partners under is less helpful than you think. post every day, don't pad your posts with obvious reads.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
yeah I would say, as scum, don't bus in general. you very, very rarely gain more than you lose.

as town, be reasonable, and remember that unusual play, or even sub-optimal play, does not mean someone is scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i would argue you should never be reasonable. if you case is strong enough to get someone killed, maybe you're right! i've lost more games being talked down by polite, passionate scum than not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

chill on the discord with us
I normally fall behind discord chats but sure

Mxxxxxama Hxxxxen #3x9x3x3

With all the xs removed.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

i would argue you should never be reasonable. if you case is strong enough to get someone killed, maybe you're right! i've lost more games being talked down by polite, passionate scum than not.

I think in general the best way to be a good effective town is to CITE YOUR SOURCES. Link specific posts that make you feel weird about a person and write a sentence or two about what makes you feel like thats a weird post.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

also it helps to only listen to the person you're casing insofar as you need clarifications about their state of mind when they were making their posts. once that's done, it's better to ignore them - you're never going to convince them they're scum, and if they are scum they'll invariably try to persuade you through unreasonable appeals. better to ask other people to review and critique your case since that also gets your case traction if it's good.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Poison Mushroom posted:

I normally fall behind discord chats but sure

Mxxxxxama Hxxxxen #3x9x3x3

With all the xs removed.

Heres the link:

https://discordapp.com/invite/KTvKfvv

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

town: keep your points short and concise. if you have a list of five scummy things someone is doing, only include the strongest two. otherwise they'll just argue down your weakest points. no one will actually read a several paragraph post. it doesn't matter if you're right, if you're town just keep pushing and trust your instincts. post every day.

scum: if your partners are decent, don't bus. every town lynch is a point for you. throwing weak partners under is less helpful than you think. post every day, don't pad your posts with obvious reads.

I feel like my meta is the opposite of this advice on both count :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel like my meta is the opposite of this advice on both count :ohdear:

well you're the flannery o'conner to my vonnegut writing rules then. also i'm clearly not an effective player so i wouldn't listen too much to me.