Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I've never been to their website and I never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It is a great website

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
who goes to websites to watch reviews? we have youtube for that.

get with the times, old man.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Upon watching the review the second time, they seem to go out of their way to explain that the review would be different and sets up each segment pretty nicely. Plus plinkett reviews are just fun. I guess his thesis was "the new movies are soulless and the prequels still suck" which I agree with. Some parts were better than others, and the original 3 were superior but this one was still fun.

Also starship troopers rules and I too wonder why there aren't more movies like it. Paul verhoeven rules, even if the rape in flesh and blood was a bit raw

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think its important that he nipped the prequels nostalgia in the bud right now before the internet lets it fester. One of my friends thinks the prequels are better than the classic trilogy and it makes me sick.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have the paid iOS RLM app which hasn't been updated since 2011.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Junior Jr. posted:

I re-watched the Revenge of the Sith review last week, it was great like the last time I saw...all except for the ending.

They made a royalty-free special edition ending and it doesn't feel the same. :(

Now I really miss blip.

what did they remove from the youtube version

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrSlam posted:

I unironically love the movie as an action flick and the book as a 60's era sci-fi classic. When I watched the movie I didn't get "War is hell, nationalistic military juntas are fascism with a different name, celebrating violence is bread and circuses of the new age" I was thinking "Oh man those aliens just took that guy's loving arm off! This is so cool! Why aren't all war movies like this?"

Yeah defiantly. Plus such quotes and badass music. When I was an on-site technician years ago I had Klendathu Drop as my ringtone for my boss. When my phone would ring clients would go "uh oh" because they thought it was a super important call.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a bone to pick posted:

I think its important that he nipped the prequels nostalgia in the bud right now before the internet lets it fester. One of my friends thinks the prequels are better than the classic trilogy and it makes me sick.

Your friend might have brain troubles

Like, i am not a star wars fan, never in my life have I owned a star wars toy or whatever, and i didnt feel betrayed by the prequels or even had any hype for them (watched them on dvd never in the cinema) so i feel i can objectively let the whole world know that the prequels were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I was born in 1984 so I can confirm that even with teenager nostalgia tinting the prequels were loving awful even the first time I saw them.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah defiantly. Plus such quotes and badass music. When I was an on-site technician years ago I had Klendathu Drop as my ringtone for my boss. When my phone would ring clients would go "uh oh" because they thought it was a super important call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

Basil Poledouris was the loving bomb.

RIP

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

what did they remove from the youtube version

they took out the end parts from the old review (i.e. the phone calls, nadine looking through plinkett's house and meeting palpatine mike), but most importantly the trench run music at the very end with the phantom menace behind-the-scenes, it felt compelling because it was like a huge closure to all the prequel reviews.

the only other vid they kept in was the revenge of nadine, and that's it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was a child when I saw the prequels and enjoyed them well enough because I enjoyed any tepid crap that was shoved in front of me, but now that I am an adult I can unequivocally say the the prequels were absolute trash and anyone defending them are even bigger trash.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FedEx Mercury posted:

I was born in 1984 so I can confirm that even with teenager nostalgia tinting the prequels were loving awful even the first time I saw them.

I was born in 92 and I thought that the pod racing scene was loving awesome, plus the big battle in Attack of the Clones was insanely cool, but by the time Revenge of the Sith came out I had this weird feeling that the prequels were poo poo in comparison to the original trilogy. Not even an eight year old's nostalgia could save them.

I never had heard about this prequel redemption fad until I saw this review. I really don't understand how anyone thinks that they are better, or even good, unless they're Star Wars super spergs. Or worse, CD posters.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Your friend might have brain troubles

Well his reasoning is the exact same poo poo Plinkett was saying, more lightsabers, more action, newer special effects etc. Not exactly the type of guy that knows jack poo poo about good movies but I wonder if most younger people who were born in the mid to early 90s feel this way.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Junior Jr. posted:

they took out the end parts from the old review (i.e. the phone calls, nadine looking through plinkett's house and meeting palpatine mike), but most importantly the trench run music at the very end with the phantom menace behind-the-scenes, it felt compelling because it was like a huge closure to all the prequel reviews.

the only other vid they kept in was the revenge of nadine, and that's it.

The trench run "luk[as] turn off your computers" thing was from the episode 1 review though. I don't think it was ever in the episode 3 review also.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Krinkle posted:

The trench run "luk[as] turn off your computers" thing was from the episode 1 review though. I don't think it was ever in the episode 3 review also.

it was in the episode 3 review, if you look up the youtube video and skip to near the end with plinkett's epilogue, it starts with the music then it fades to some royalty-free song during the phantom menace footage, up until the death star blows up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a bone to pick posted:

Well his reasoning is the exact same poo poo Plinkett was saying, more lightsabers, more action, newer special effects etc. Not exactly the type of guy that knows jack poo poo about good movies but I wonder if most younger people who were born in the mid to early 90s feel this way.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I remember the prequels being really boring outside of a few of the bigger set pieces. The light saber fights weren't really that cool because of how ridiculous the choreography was, and my brain wasn't really developed enough to think that the special effects were much better. When Lord of the Rings came out it was kind of hard for me to see the prequels as actually good movies and not just a vehicle for cool video games. If anything, I feel like LoTR is the movie trilogy that my decade's kids attached to, not Star Wars. I know tons of people around my age who love LoTR, and maybe a handful who feel that way about Star Wars, let alone the prequels.

Does your idiot friend also like the Hobbit movies?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I would agree that LotR was our generation's Star Wars, but yes, he loved the Hobbit movies. Not even my hardcore Tolkien-nerd friends like the Hobbit.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think Harry Potter is the big nostalgia film series for people around my age.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Junior Jr. posted:

it was in the episode 3 review, if you look up the youtube video and skip to near the end with plinkett's epilogue, it starts with the music then it fades to some royalty-free song during the phantom menace footage, up until the death star blows up.

Aw jeeze. Aw jeeze. It's ruined. It's ruined forever. I can hear the good music underneath. Aw jeeze. Even the one on his site just links to youtube. God I hate youtube.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

I never had heard about this prequel redemption fad until I saw this review. I really don't understand how anyone thinks that they are better, or even good, unless they're Star Wars super spergs. Or worse, CD posters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
7 Reasons Getting A Large Cheque In The Mail Changes Your Mind On Anything

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trunko posted:

Are there really posters....ITT... who don't watch the RLM videos exclusively on their website. And also have the RLM website set as their homepage?

I've only watched RLM relatively recently and only as a youtube channel. There's a website? :psyduck:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

I've only watched RLM relatively recently and only as a youtube channel. There's a website? :psyduck:

It's the only place you can watch Gamestation 2.0

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Never forget that Plinkett is either a split-personality of Rich Evans or a character from the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUNRd_OqDE

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Starship troopers loving owns

Why can't they give us big sci-fi war movies. Even in the terminator sequels they never gave us a full on future war

WHAT GIVES

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Pretty sure the twins said mr. plinkiss. Also that video felt like it was repeating. I'm glad they got better at editing in the last ten years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Not much better

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Chill la Chill posted:

and an email newsletter

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Good news, Warwick Davis is going to be in episode 8!! http://comicbook.com/2016/10/04/warwick-davis-will-appear-in-star-wars-episode-viii/

but whyyyyy

edit lol

unforgettable roles to be sure

Its kind of cute how everyone hates ewoks but Warwick Davies has become an indispensable part of the Star Wars family regardless.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrSlam posted:

Never forget that Plinkett is either a split-personality of Rich Evans or a character from the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUNRd_OqDE

What made this enjoyable was whoever behind the camera holding back laughter and Rich barely holding back cracking a smile for how dumb they were being. I'm guessing it was Mike filming.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
MMMM Sweat Petato Pie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-GNSnT4LU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Well americans, is it american

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, this was posted in the wrong thread, still though, I need americans judgement on this pizza

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As an American, there are too many vegetables on that 'za to be considered American.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
email me if you want American pizza rolls

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I loving hate copyright and what it's done to media criticism and analysis. those montages at the end of the clones and sith reviews flawlessly juxtaposed the emotion and magic of the original trilogy with the utter soullessness of the prequels. they're easily the best editing rlm has ever done, exemplars of the film essay format. thank gently caress the moneygrubbing capitalist pigdogs didn't remove the force theme from the end of the ep2 montage and neuter it like they did to ep3. it's absolutely fair use and youtube can suck the poo poo out of my b-hole.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

dreezy posted:

I loving hate copyright and what it's done to media criticism and analysis. those montages at the end of the clones and sith reviews flawlessly juxtaposed the emotion and magic of the original trilogy with the utter soullessness of the prequels. they're easily the best editing rlm has ever done, exemplars of the film essay format. thank gently caress the moneygrubbing capitalist pigdogs didn't remove the force theme from the end of the ep2 montage and neuter it like they did to ep3. it's absolutely fair use and youtube can suck the poo poo out of my b-hole.

Holy gently caress are you pissed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

khwarezm posted:

Its kind of cute how everyone hates ewoks but Warwick Davies has become an indispensable part of the Star Wars family regardless.

He's not indispensable to star wars. In fact the series would be better off without his repulsive deformed frame ambling about in some alien costume.

• Locked thread