Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gen 3 is the gen that will always be there for you, and help you out in times of need. sometimes people insult gen 3 with things like 'it has too much water' or whatever the hell, but despite that it will always be there to soothe you with a good pokedex and aesthetically pleasing locales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I never played Emerald but dug FR back in gen 3. When gen 4 came out i just got annoyed by how sloooow Pearl was, I'm impatient. But then i picked up Platinum and it was top tier and reignited my interest.

Gen 5 really was my fave generation, notably for B2/W2. HOwever, OR has definitely made me realize how cool a region Hoenn is in general and I am glad I get to experience it in full 3D glory.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gen 4 is the only one I haven't replayed, which is why I remember so little of it. I recall not being bothered by the fire type thing because I picked Infernape, and I recall thinking every gym leader was great, and I recall noticing that some of the routes were very intricately laid out. It's hard to go back to Pearl and I never managed to track down a Platinum cartridge. I will probably never again put effort into a pokemon game where TMs are not reusable. The remakes are going to kick rear end.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Gen V remakes are what I want to see sometime. I admit that Sinnoh was overall are more interesting location and that none of the starters were really good, but having an actual story in a Pokémon game was a huge change of pace and keeping only new pokemon was a great idea.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

really disappointed this isnt just the sound of flames and a voice saying "bidoof. bidoof. bidoof is on fire."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I know we're all excited to loudly proclaim our opinions on the starters but this just happened and it's kinda interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEaUQJP_p1A

Trailer for a romhack. I'd never heard of this before seeing it but just the featureset looks pretty cool. Although it really makes me wonder, why even bother backporting all these features to 2nd gen games when you could just like hack a 3rd gen game where most of it's already done for you? I guess it might kind of be the point to see how far you can push the old games. Hopefully the difficulty balance is alright, since that's what tends to kill most romhacks for me.

Oh yeah, and it's tied to Twitch Plays Pokemon (which still hasn't died somehow!) Kind of a clever tactic to get views if you ask me: spread around a trailer, and then say "Want to play this? Well, you could wait, or you could come participate in it right now on the stream!" Also, I think it's really cool that a game will be "released" and be completely played through first on a stream, so no one can actually know what to expect, or play ahead. That's a whole different sort of challenge from just trying to collaboratively complete a game everyone knows inside out.

Is there anywhere they've posted up the features. I'm interested and all just want to know more about it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CuddlyZombie posted:

really disappointed this isnt just the sound of flames and a voice saying "bidoof. bidoof. bidoof is on fire."

I'm dying Squirtle

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I hope megas are still around so charizard y can still be my Lilligant's friend

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Any good preorder bonuses announced yet?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can get a munchlax with the z stone to do the funny move. that was a preorder thing right

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Gen 3 was the reason I stopped playing for a while. I don't thin the games were bad. The mechanics got way too complicated for me at that age as far as the IV and EV system went plus natures. There was no good explanation at the time that I could find and I really didn't like that I could end up with a pokemon that was crap from the moment I caught it. So I stopped playing.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

oddium posted:

you can get a munchlax with the z stone to do the funny move. that was a preorder thing right

Doesn't count, that goes to any one that buys before the end of this year I believe.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

oddium posted:

Could be more like the Torchic with Blazikenite mystery gift they did for the first month or two of X/Y's release

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

notoriousman posted:

Could be more like the Torchic with Blazikenite mystery gift they did for the first month or two of X/Y's release

I was more hoping for something like Toys R Us's plush Charizard for ORAS preorders.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm interested in this. Got a link?

A little late, but there are a bunch of Pokemon disassemblies here. Including one for the Pokemon TCG game, which I didn't know about.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

No, that's just an event running very early in the game's life. It's the same as the Blazikenite Torchic for XY, in that and in likely being a preview of the next game in the series (the next remake, rather, for both cases).

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, that's just an event running very early in the game's life. It's the same as the Blazikenite Torchic for XY, in that and in likely being a preview of the next game in the series (the next remake, rather, for both cases).

Banking on another Gen 1 remake to capitalize on any nostalgia brought up from Pokemon Go.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PSWII60 posted:

Banking on another Gen 1 remake to capitalize on any nostalgia brought up from Pokemon Go.

Ah yes, I too remember how Munchlax was a starter in Pokemon Lunch.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

If it makes you feel better, I never played this gen, and I like the sound of this very much, thank you

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
All these distributions are killing me. I'm going to run out of wonder card slots.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

That's the new forms in S&M.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PSWII60 posted:

Gen 3 was the reason I stopped playing for a while. I don't thin the games were bad. The mechanics got way too complicated for me at that age as far as the IV and EV system went plus natures. There was no good explanation at the time that I could find and I really didn't like that I could end up with a pokemon that was crap from the moment I caught it. So I stopped playing.
I mean, the EV system was literally just a twice-as-granular version of the DV system. It was really just natures and abilities (there were two-ability mons in gen 3, right?) and IVs suddenly being a thing you had to plan ahead.

I shouldn't defend "this thing isn't complex in 2016" but I am anyway :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, the EV system was literally just a twice-as-granular version of the DV system. It was really just natures and abilities (there were two-ability mons in gen 3, right?) and IVs suddenly being a thing you had to plan ahead.

I shouldn't defend "this thing isn't complex in 2016" but I am anyway :v:

DVs could be maxed in every stat, so there was no worry about getting the wrong spread

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Gen 3 was super easy though. All of the trainers didn't know what TMs or Tutors were, they had 0 in every EV and 16 at most in every IV, etc. You didn't have to plan ahead.

DVs being able to be maxed in every stat is part of what made the level curve easier in gen 2 compared to its gen 4 remakes--trainers also had no DVs there--but the change to EVs did nothing to make gen 3 any harder.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sockser posted:

How do the GameStop distributions work? Do I gotta like... buy something?

They've got a limited number of cards though, so go early.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gen 3's greatest fault was taking away the day/night cycle.

I dont mind abilities now, but I hated them in gen 3 at the start since it felt like my dudes had whatever abilities and enemy pokemon had all sorts of annoying abilities that drew out battles or acted as "gotchas" like levitate.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

DVs could be maxed in every stat, so there was no worry about getting the wrong spread

Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning. What I knew of Gen 1 & 2 was the more you use a Pokemon the stronger it gets to a point. Then I started 3 and everything that I thought had bad natures and bad IVs. So to me I just got a whole bunch of stuff that was crappy from the start and I didn't really care about competitive stuff so I didn't want to put the time in to do any more than dicking around and fighting against my friends. The new system just seem significantly more complicated then the old to me at the time. And while yes it is more complicated it's not so much more complicated than you can't understand it. However it is significantly more complicated than I really cared about Pokemon at the time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Just downloaded Hoopa and Darkrai with the codes, are there any others I can still get?

This is a longshot but does anyone have a Darkrai code to spare? I wanted one because it is dark like my soul but they ran out on like the first day of that month.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

S&M is adding a way to mess with IVs right? I remember some announcement but don't remember the details.

Part of me wonders why they even have IVs when there's EVs, Nature and Abilities to distinguish pokemon of the same species.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Cuntellectual posted:

This is a longshot but does anyone have a Darkrai code to spare? I wanted one because it is dark like my soul but they ran out on like the first day of that month.

DARKRAI20 is still valid, I think (assuming you're not in PAL region).

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

DARKRAI20 is still valid, I think (assuming you're not in PAL region).

Awesome, thanks. Just got the Hoopa as well. Now I just need a Diancie... how am I supposed to get that? Seems like the last event was in 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxyclean posted:

S&M is adding a way to mess with IVs right? I remember some announcement but don't remember the details.

Yeah, there are special items called bottlecaps. Silver ones max a single stat, gold ones max all.

We know the event Magearna comes holding one, no word on how to get more.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

That's interesting you mention that since it seems like every time someone one itt complains about the IV system you see responses like " this is a game for children, not competitive spergs" but it sounds like as a child it actively hindered your enjoyment of the game. I really don't see how people can defend the system the way it is, it's one thing for Pokemon to be different from one another but IVs just mean that some Pokemon will simply be better than others and there's nothing you can do to change that (until now).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Yeah, there are special items called bottlecaps. Silver ones max a single stat, gold ones max all.

We know the event Magearna comes holding one, no word on how to get more.

Note that hyper training to max IVs is apparently only available once the pokemon hits level 100. In most cases, breeding for IVs will probably be faster.

That said, if they also add a way to switch abilities and natures around too, then you can just bring your pals from the main campaign straight into battle spot.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

That's interesting you mention that since it seems like every time someone one itt complains about the IV system you see responses like " this is a game for children, not competitive spergs" but it sounds like as a child it actively hindered your enjoyment of the game. I really don't see how people can defend the system the way it is, it's one thing for Pokemon to be different from one another but IVs just mean that some Pokemon will simply be better than others and there's nothing you can do to change that (until now).

It is a clunky system, but unless you're playing competitively, it really doesn't matter in terms of just getting through the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I think IVs should become irrelevant for stats, every pokemon should have stats like they had 6x31 automatically, and they should change Hidden Power to be something you can pick the type of somehow. gently caress this bottle cap nonsense, go whole hog. Let us pick abilities too! It's more fun to just get to make your favorite mon as good as possible and beat things up with it.

That said, I'm a little confused by his complaints, and maybe it's just the statmaxer in me that finds this odd...

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning. What I knew of Gen 1 & 2 was the more you use a Pokemon the stronger it gets to a point. Then I started 3 and everything that I thought had bad natures and bad IVs. So to me I just got a whole bunch of stuff that was crappy from the start and I didn't really care about competitive stuff so I didn't want to put the time in to do any more than dicking around and fighting against my friends. The new system just seem significantly more complicated then the old to me at the time. And while yes it is more complicated it's not so much more complicated than you can't understand it. However it is significantly more complicated than I really cared about Pokemon at the time.
The difference is 0.02 of a stat point per level per IV point. So, worst-case, if you're all zeroes instead of all 31s, you're missing out on a point every other level that you would otherwise have. What are you comparing to that you notice that flaw? How does that differ from the exact same thing being true for DVs in gen 1 and 2 (scroll up on the Bulbapedia page) and just having half as large a range to be nerfed in?

"The more you use a Pokemon, the stronger it gets" is still true until you hit the EV cap at 510 which, even without running from random encounters, you'd probably do, what, six badges in? And yeah, sure, you would literally never max out Stat Exp in any reasonable amount of time, but the only way someone who doesn't know how the EV system works is going to notice is going to be when Carbos et al stop working, which is a legitimate fault with the system. (For reference, that point is 100 EVs in that stat or the 510 total cap being hit)

I guess I just don't see how you could have actually realized the different system had any effects. Maybe I'm biased because I remember I didn't figure it out until I looked it up myself. And like, I can't change your past self's mind! So I'll stop posting now :shobon:

e: and yeah, Dr. Fetus has the takeaway point, poo poo didn't matter at all for anything in the actual game except maybe Battle Tower.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

Note that hyper training to max IVs is apparently only available once the pokemon hits level 100. In most cases, breeding for IVs will probably be faster.

That said, if they also add a way to switch abilities and natures around too, then you can just bring your pals from the main campaign straight into battle spot.

That would depend on how effective powerleveling is and how often you can get bottlecaps. At the very bery least it'll be a way to make wild shinies useful in battles.

Plus there's already ability capsules. All we need is some sort of nature transmogrifyer and all your favourite pocket monsters are viable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

That would depend on how effective powerleveling is and how often you can get bottlecaps. At the very bery least it'll be a way to make wild shinies useful in battles.

Plus there's already ability capsules. All we need is some sort of nature transmogrifyer and all your favourite pocket monsters are viable.

I forgot about ability capsules, though those don't help with hidden abilities

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm hoping that interview from way back about making the games simpler/back to basics means that now anything with Hidden in its name is easier to deal with in-game.

They can go back to making distributions special with unique moves rather than access to hidden abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Wow a lot of new pages, you must all still be talking about how Dartrix rules and everyone else drools?