Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

MrMojok posted:

The scene where the host turns on his buddies and starts pouring milk on everyone... at one point he's drinking the milk and it starts pouring out of a couple of holes in his body. Are we meant to assume that another host shot him, but it had no effect, hence those holes?

If so, makes me wonder what would have happened if a guest had shot him during his "episode"

The scary thought here is that they "choose" to die due to programming, but being future cyborgs, they can obviously live well beyond what would kill a normal person. Well, if they were able to "choose" to.

Barlow posted:

Do we know for certain the show is set on Earth? If it's on another planet that would explain why the staff have to rotate home, rather then simply taking a car or helicopter.

I'm just about convinced after the first episode that this show takes place in a post-Earth society. Either it's on a different planet, or maybe it's on Earth after Earth was destroyed and rebuilt for amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Barlow posted:

Do we know for certain the show is set on Earth? If it's on another planet that would explain why the staff have to rotate home, rather then simply taking a car or helicopter.

rotating doesnt mean spinning out of the atmosphere into outer space

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

buckets of buckets posted:

Yeah. They probably do like x months on, x months off at the park location.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mike the TV posted:

The scary thought here is that they "choose" to die due to programming, but being future cyborgs, they can obviously live well beyond what would kill a normal person. Well, if they were able to "choose" to.

I'm just about convinced after the first episode that this show takes place in a post-Earth society. Either it's on a different planet, or maybe it's on Earth after Earth was destroyed and rebuilt for amusement.

"I've died a million times... how many times have you died?

From the preview. Its clear once they gain self awareness they really know whats up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AwkwardKnob posted:

One minor nitpick: If the robots have their memory banks wiped after every narrative/day is completed, it's a little bit of a stretch for me that the subconscious memory recall thing would reach all the way back to include every single past life they've had. If this feature had just been added, what on Earth would be the point of putting that much storage into the robots head. Like, imagine the terabytes of data that each day's collective experience would create every single time. You'd wipe all that poo poo clean each time, not leave it floating around in limbo and rewrite it endlessly for 30 years.

They keep a couple builds' backups which is smart, since we've already seen the latest release can be buggy and need a rollback.

The whole point though was they were all shocked that he still had that Shakespeare in his memory somewhere, becuase they don't preserve that far back. If they did it would be obvious. The whole idea of that 'sub-conscious' thing is those aren't intentional memories that have been stored and preserved. They were deleted and forgotten about. Except because of how memory works, those chunks of RAM just never got overwritten by new values. If you tried to access his entire former program, the vast majority of it would be missing. It just so happened there were 2 lines of shakespeare left un-deleted still among all the terabytes of other information.

That's actually a very cool idea, and is feasible.

Mike the TV posted:

Someone posted a quote on the last page saying you need to "contact your port authority" in order to go to Delos. That strongly implies its an island or underwater.

I guess it could be a spaceport authority but I dunno about that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 5, 2016

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

buckets of buckets posted:

Sure, my point was that in the future I'd expect them to have fast and cheap transportation to get anywhere on Earth.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaphod42 posted:

This takes place in the not so near future. As we've said before, with inflation who knows what those values really represent. Its all $Texas as far as we know.

In the future $20,000 could be a lot of money or it could be like ten bucks. :shrug:

I'm guessing, given the number of comments about the customers being "rich assholes", that $40k/day is still a lot of money for a vacation in the World....of Westworld.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Im sure the 20k or 40k a day whatever is still intended by the writers to pop out as some incredible sum of money

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah it seems like its supposed to be a lot, but beyond that we don't know if its just somebody who saved up a lot of money or if its richie mcrich moneybags only, poors need not apply.

As people mentioned before as well, it also really feels like a post-scarcity economy with Hopkins' comments about them being "done". So what does the economy even look like? Is it a communist utopia where everybody gets an equal allowance per month or something? Is it a horrible distopia with class warfare between the rich and the poor? We dunno.

They'll probably give us hints of the outside world over time as we go, which'll be real fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm guessing it's not a post-scarcity society, but one where the hyper-rich have access to these things.

Port Authority still seems ambiguous about the location, and mention of "The Territory" seems to suggest a new frontier, if not a deep ocean settlement (maybe not Sealab, but actually buried under the seafloor?) then perhaps another planet.

The legal document clearly suggests that their are other parks besides WestWorld. Hopkins may not even be the senior engineer, but just the old burnout they stuck in the western park because it only gets 1400 guests anyways. I would assume the financial numbers to be within our experience of them and not adjusted for future-inflation.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel his "done" comments are really just to lay the foundation of Hopkins' playing of god. How in that messing with evolution (medicine) or creating life pretty much is the end game. We're done evolving.

This is also a theme in Jurassic Park where by resurrecting long extinct animals we are also playing god and circumventing the natural order of things (evolution/natural selection)

I think its just a thematic thing to be taken on the surface. I dont think the writers really intend to create the idea that its some post scarcity society. Because if it was a communist utopia or Star Trek post-scarce land why are there corporations and shareholders? Why is Westworld a profit seeking venture that caters to the rich?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also take note in the source material there is a "futureworld" where you get to live out sci-fi fantasies. If they were doing sealab poo poo, biodomes, planetary colonization for the purpose of entertainment etc... then why have a "futureworld"

Woden
May 6, 2006

Barlow posted:

Different gravity is super hard and expensive to do well in shows, so maaaaybe Venus since it's close to Earth but really, why bother with offworld poo poo?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why take the super future approach? Why not just: they bought land in the desert.

Or take Nolan's word at terraformed tropical island

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

Also take note in the source material there is a "futureworld" where you get to live out sci-fi fantasies. If they were doing sealab poo poo, biodomes, planetary colonization for the purpose of entertainment etc... then why have a "futureworld"

I guess the question become when does this take place? If it's in 100 years, then a domed island makes the most sense. If it's 1000 years, then sure, bottom of the ocean. If it's 10,000 years or more, it could be anywhere.

Also, keep in mind that "futureworld" could be just like the Fallout franchise today and be a stylistic choice more than a realistic "more advanced than us world". Sure, they might have better technology, but you could actually fly the Enterprise or play Star Citizen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Or take Nolan's word at terraformed tropical island

Did he say island or just that the space was terraformed? I thought it was just the latter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I feel his "done" comments are really just to lay the foundation of Hopkins' playing of god. How in that messing with evolution (medicine) or creating life pretty much is the end game. We're done evolving.

This is also a theme in Jurassic Park where by resurrecting long extinct animals we are also playing god and circumventing the natural order of things (evolution/natural selection)

I think its just a thematic thing to be taken on the surface. I dont think the writers really intend to create the idea that its some post scarcity society. Because if it was a communist utopia or Star Trek post-scarce land why are there corporations and shareholders? Why is Westworld a profit seeking venture that caters to the rich?

There's also the idea that humans may have reached a limit in evolution, one that artificial beings like the hosts could surpass. That they could continue to grow beyond what we're capable of, if they became truly self-aware and started modifying their own designs.

You can still have profits and corporations post-scarcity. If anything, that'd be the only point anymore. To create art and entertainment. You could have a purely communist post-scarcity economy or you could have a capitalist one too, it'd just be where people didn't have to work if they didn't want, and could still feed themselves if they didn't work. But you work to do things that machines can't do, like creating art, and then you sell that art to make more money so you can buy things beyond basic food and other life essentials.

Phi230 posted:

The show deviates from the original quite a bit, and futureworld was from a sequel to the movie that wasn't well received; it wasnt' part of the original westworld film. Only Romeworld and medievalworld were.

So futureworld probably isn't canon, until we find out otherwise.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mike the TV posted:

I guess the question become when does this take place? If it's in 100 years, then a domed island makes the most sense. If it's 1000 years, then sure, bottom of the ocean. If it's 10,000 years or more, it could be anywhere.

Also, keep in mind that "futureworld" could be just like the Fallout franchise today and be a stylistic choice more than a realistic "more advanced than us world". Sure, they might have better
technology, but you could actually fly the Enterprise or play Star Citizen.

I wanna pay 40k a day to feel grief

But why does it have to be domed? There are plenty of ways to get people to stay away from your property.

I am wondering though if its underground somehow. Theres the Inferno motif yes but they seem to be in a bunker in tge corporate HQ. It has at least 83 levels. The "roof" is just above ground. Also by an ocean

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

Did he say island or just that the space was terraformed? I thought it was just the latter.

IIRC he said island.

Remember this is Michael Crichton source. Island themeparks for rich people that go wrong is his thing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I am wondering though if its underground somehow. Theres the Inferno motif yes but they seem to be in a bunker in tge corporate HQ. It has at least 83 levels. The "roof" is just above ground. Also by an ocean

I think the control center is underground, below the main westworld land area. That would allow them to use tunnels to move around without being seen, if they need to replace hosts and stuff.

We've seen that they can insert themselves into westworld pretty easily and then disappear again, and we didn't see any planes or helicopters or anything that would break the illusion. And the area is huge enough it would take a long time to otherwise get around.

Its possible they used the trains or they have a car disguised as a horse-and-buggy, but secret tunnels make the most sense to me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I will keep watching this, despite Simon Quarterman being the very worst actor I have ever seen in any medium. The Borgen woman was barely adequate, but she was fortunately paired with the turd in the punch bowl for all her appearances, so she sucked less by default. How these two got into the cast, the rest of whom range from serviceable to good, is beyond me. I also found the western-style modern music intrusive and unoriginal.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The website says leaving Westworld requires a week stay at a decompression chamber.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the control center is underground, below the main westworld land area. That would allow them to use tunnels to move around without being seen, if they need to replace hosts and stuff.

We've seen that they can insert themselves into westworld pretty easily and then disappear again, and we didn't see any planes or helicopters or anything that would break the illusion. And the area is huge enough it would take a long time to otherwise get around.

Its possible they used the trains or they have a car disguised as a horse-and-buggy, but secret tunnels make the most sense to me.

I agree, but the control center seems to be on top of a butte.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

I will keep watching this, despite Simon Quarterman being the very worst actor I have ever seen in any medium. The Borgen woman was barely adequate, but she was fortunately paired with the turd in the punch bowl for all her appearances, so she sucked less by default. How these two got into the cast, the rest of whom range from serviceable to good, is beyond me. I also found the western-style modern music intrusive and unoriginal.

And so it begins

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mike the TV posted:

I agree, but the control center seems to be on top of a butte.

So would you say it occupies a butte hole

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe westworld is underwater then.

You guys know the Mesa thats on the map? Maybe the Mesa goes up to the surface somehow. The control center is inside the mesa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

The website says leaving Westworld requires a week stay at a decompression chamber.

No it says you need to decompress at a resort.

A decompression chamber is unnecessary if you have a pressurized environment like an underwater westworld would be in.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Torquemada posted:

It's only one episode, but I think Louis Herthum's performance (Dolores' father) was beyond "good".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

We already discussed that a lot.

It could mean a literal decompression because they're underwater, we already considered that, but it also explains how its a place to unwind and see therapists to deal with the fact that you probably just scalped and murdered some people and now you have to go back to your job as an investment banker or something. It doesn't prove they're under water.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, that "Don't mind me, just trying to be chivalrous" callback was DARK, but hilarious. I wonder if robots have scripted lines/catchphrases or if they're just given the ideas of things (i.e. what it is to be chivalrous and how to make quips, like a standard leading man) so that they can be a bit more dynamic with their interactions. I guess we'll find out in future episodes if Marsden shows back up and if he says verbatim "don't mind me, just trying to be chivalrous" or if there's a play on the phrase.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Man, that "Don't mind me, just trying to be chivalrous" callback was DARK, but hilarious. I wonder if robots have scripted lines/catchphrases or if they're just given the ideas of things (i.e. what it is to be chivalrous and how to make quips, like a standard leading man) so that they can be a bit more dynamic with their interactions. I guess we'll find out in future episodes if Marsden shows back up and if he says verbatim "don't mind me, just trying to be chivalrous" or if there's a play on the phrase.

I think its gotta be a bit of both. The one writer was all "check out my sweet speech I wrote" so they do have scripts at times, but it'd be impossible to script against every possible thing that a guest could say to a host, so they have to be able to process language and come up with responses on the fly. They probably have banks of phrases and try to pick the best one for the situation or something, other than where they're explicitly scripted to do or say something according to a quest line.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It could also be that the guests are also robots and they had to compress their previous memories into zip files to give themselves room for their new westworld memories and then after they leave they can decompress those files and be back to their old selves again.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BelDin posted:

It's only one episode, but I think Louis Herthum's performance (Dolores' father) was beyond "good".

Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins and Scientist From Hunger Games were all beyond good too.

Teddy, A GROWIN BOY, were also good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh word, they found Hillary's emails?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
One more possible location could be some sort of an O'Neill cylinder. Weren't some of those designs called 'islands' as well?

Either way, if there's some extensive superstructure involved (a dome or a cover; whether in space or underwater), we haven't (yet) seen anyone responsible for maintaining it. And there probably would be someone. So it probably is just a converted isolated location.

I still slightly can't get over how flies are apparently natural, but ants and mosquitos apparently aren't.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

sector_corrector posted:

People keep saying that the bots aren't sentient, but they are. Sentience is the ability to perceive sensation. A dog is sentient, a rock is not. I would also argue that the bots are (at least somewhat) self aware. When they fire at a human, and are perplexed as to why their rounds do nothing, that's a sort of self-awareness. This sentience and self awareness is actually sort of the problem. You're basically putting a completely aware organism through hell on Earth for the enjoyment of another organism with more agency. Like dog fighting: it's a morally gruesome abuse of power.

What the bots are truly lacking is instead free-will. If you want to extend the analogy above, even a dog in dog fighting match could turn on its owner. These bots cannot. You could get into some PHIL101 arguments about whether even us top level reality humans have free will, but these droids certainly don't. That's likely what the story will be: the means by which these creatures fight to earn free will from their human masters.

I'm sort of hesitant because this isn't that interesting of a moral dilemma to me. It reminds me of the supremely surface level philosophizing of Lost. Regardless, the show looks amazing, and has great performances, so I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying it, but I definitely have some reservations about the deepness of the plot.

There's an interesting/terrifying concept known as 'philosophical zombies' and 'solipsism'. Solipsism is the theory that the only conscious mind that can be proven to exist is your own, or actually my own really. Since I will never be able to be you, I can never be sure you are any more than a convincing imitation of a person like me, who I know thinks, therefore I know exists. A philosophical zombie is a creature that appears to be like me, they react and move and seem to have thoughts and feelings, but actually are just a clever machine.

These are vitally important concepts when it comes to teleportation and consciousness transfer into machines. If you're not careful, you could transfer your memories and personality into a robot body, and everyone would believe that you had succeeded, but in reality you killed yourself and left behind a very convincing imitation, which might inspire others to do the same. Teleportation is similar, if we say the method is scanning every atom in your body, destroying it, then rebuilding it identically elsewhere, which would appear to be perfectly fine to everyone around you, but would actually be killing you and creating a new life every time you/they teleported.

sector_corrector posted:

You really are an idiot everywhere you post. Maybe instead of basing your ideas off of nothing, you could watch the show for textual evidence.
Wow dude, don't be such a douche.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

hobbesmaster posted:

No it says you need to decompress at a resort.

A decompression chamber is unnecessary if you have a pressurized environment like an underwater westworld would be in.

It literally says decompression chamber:

quote:

Before you leave Westworld, you’ll visit the world's finest decompression chamber: the Mesa Gold. At the conclusion of your stay, begin the process of dipping your toe back into the real world:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Megaspel posted:

There's an interesting/terrifying concept known as 'philosophical zombies' and 'solipsism'. Solipsism is the theory that the only conscious mind that can be proven to exist is your own, or actually my own really. Since I will never be able to be you, I can never be sure you are any more than a convincing imitation of a person like me, who I know thinks, therefore I know exists. A philosophical zombie is a creature that appears to be like me, they react and move and seem to have thoughts and feelings, but actually are just a clever machine.

These are vitally important concepts when it comes to teleportation and consciousness transfer into machines. If you're not careful, you could transfer your memories and personality into a robot body, and everyone would believe that you had succeeded, but in reality you killed yourself and left behind a very convincing imitation, which might inspire others to do the same. Teleportation is similar, if we say the method is scanning every atom in your body, destroying it, then rebuilding it identically elsewhere, which would appear to be perfectly fine to everyone around you, but would actually be killing you and creating a new life every time you/they teleported.

Wow dude, don't be such a douche.

Funny thing that. On the questionnaire, to get a reservation on the discoverwestworld site, there was one about; If you made a perfect copy of your body and filled the mind of the copy with all of your memories and experiences, would this be considered "you"?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Torquemada posted:

I also found the western-style modern music intrusive and unoriginal.

You can't be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im waiting for this scene. At this point i think all hell broke loose.

• Locked thread