Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yes but consider this counterpoint... Nanjing.
Are you saying that... every coin has two sides???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/kIUZ2Hv.gifv

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
The other day my girlfriend was on the phone with an uber driver and just walked straight out infront of a car whilst looking in the wrong direction for him, I grabbed her arm and pulled her back and it missed her by about a centimetre, I then got screamed at for 10 minutes for pulling her arm.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

The other day my girlfriend was on the phone with an uber driver and just walked straight out infront of a car whilst looking in the wrong direction for him, I grabbed her arm and pulled her back and it missed her by about a centimetre, I then got screamed at for 10 minutes for pulling her arm.

i hope you learned your lesson

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fauxtool posted:

Japan also has a navy that is far far far superior to China's and China knows it
china doesn't give a poo poo about japans lovely little fleet either. There is one reason and one reason only China isn't gobbling up every little island in the pacific and why most of the world isnt complete poo poo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Away all Goats posted:

china doesn't give a poo poo about japans lovely little fleet either. There is one reason and one reason only China isn't gobbling up every little island in the pacific and why most of the world isnt complete poo poo

lol yes they do since japan has a functional blue water navy and officers with good training. A navy who does exersizes with the unnamed country and korea all the time. plan also, last time I checked, have innovative damage control features such as real wood and carpets in officer sections of their ships.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

japan has one of the worlds best most modern navies, leagues ahead of China's retrofitted russian ships

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Away all Goats posted:

as someone who was in the navy lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Away all Goats posted:

i want to see the USS constitution fight in the south china sea

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What'd he expect? He's making it look like she didn't realize she was about to get hit by a moped. Is he trying to make her lose face or is he just too loving keqi for his own good?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

excuse me I know we got a big navy but check out these oilers and survey ships

a larger version so it can be made fun of even more since most of those are not near this place called asia

updated with just seventh fleet

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 5, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

you're missing at least one sub

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Third World Reggin posted:

excuse me I know we got a big navy but check out these oilers and survey ships

a larger version so it can be made fun of even more since most of those are not near this place called asia

Uhh excuse me, but before you get too carried away with your red pen I believe you'll find the USS Pueblo is also in Asia :colbert:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A navy who sails only in blue waters.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

amerikah has marines to plunge in the brown waters

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.beatdom.com/chinese-kerouac-covers/

This is pretty good when the servers come back after r/books crashed them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Known Lecher posted:

Uhh excuse me, but before you get too carried away with your red pen I believe you'll find the USS Pueblo is also in Asia :colbert:

Thanks, added that

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I'm going to try to make this short.

Context: I am a foreign student in China. I've been here for more than a month and everything is going fine. (Except for one thing) I'm staying here for a year and I'm staying in a host family and going to a chinese school.

So everything's going well, except for my host brother. While all the other chinese people here are very kind and just all around top, he is being kind of a douche.

He is kind and I know he has no bad intentions but I think he is quite jealous of all the attention I get. He is younger than me but acts like hes older and is quite bossy. I know some of that is because of cultural differences and because communication is very bad (His english is very bad and my chinese is even worse) but the greatest part is because of his jealousy.

But thats not the biggest problem. I have 0 privacy with him. I know its cultural but this is really getting creepy. He spies on everything. He asks what I do, what I will do. But also to who I talk, how much money I have,... This is the ok part. Its the part I'm willing to accept as cultural integration.

But it gets worse. He says everything I do to his friends. To who I talk and what I post on social media. He has a conversation group on WeChat (the local FB) with his friends where he discusses everything I do. I play guitar and sing. The next day, all his friends had a recording of it on their phones. I had to do a medical examination. I am underweight and I'm a bit ashamed of it but usually, I laugh about it. He actually remembered to the decimal my BMI and now the whole schools knows it.

It goes on like that and I cant confront him on it because communication is so bad. Everytime I talk about sensitive subjects he acts like he doesn't understand or really doesn't understand. Its really starting to ruin my experience but I dont want to change families because I have really great friends here and I dont want to lose them.

tl;dr : My chinese host brother has a spy club and he reports on everything I do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Third World Reggin posted:

A lot of ships are able to move from one place to another in case they are needed. :eng101:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'll update it again in two weeks when 3rd fleet arrives

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

tl;dr : My chinese host brother has a spy club and he reports on everything I do.

Are we talking late teens, or little kid?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
source your quote fucker

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

As a former army dude, it is my duty to begrudgingly say, we have a rad loving navy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing music now at a bar and I just got the best possible 2 pictures, it's 5 Chinese people staring at their phones and 6 Brits/Americans/South Africans having crazy conversations

It's so good hang on I'll upload it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really think the "omg kids are all in their phones" thing is wildly overblown but man in China and Korea sometimes it seems so true. My students care vastly more about having their phone taken away for a day than literally not being able to go to college.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Darkman Fanpage posted:

source your quote fucker

https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/55zb1h/i_18m_foreign_student_in_china_dont_know_how_to/

Late teens. drat teens.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lol is host family's son is in the red guard

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grand Fromage posted:

I really think the "omg kids are all in their phones" thing is wildly overblown but man in China and Korea sometimes it seems so true. My students care vastly more about having their phone taken away for a day than literally not being able to go to college.

The Chinese student who lives with us will only get up on time in the morning if he knows there is a threat to lose his phone for the day if he does not.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't count the number of dates I've seen where both are on their phones the entire time and not a word is spoken.

I haven't lived in the US since smartphones became common so I don't have a good point of comparison, though. It didn't seem nearly at the same level when I visited last year.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is pretty bad. I kinda missed out on a bunch of it while on a sub, but it is way different where I openly mock some of my friends who are glued to their phones.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't count the number of dates I've seen where both are on their phones the entire time and not a word is spoken.

can't whip out some sick stickers irl

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't lived in the US since smartphones became common so I don't have a good point of comparison, though. It didn't seem nearly at the same level when I visited last year.

I can't comment on the US but if the EU is any indication people can still talk to each other and if your date is glued to his or her phone you just politely leave.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This was in the AUG thread, but it's too horrifying not to share.

cash crab posted:

uncanny valley of the dolls

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

i hate to break it to u but if u can't realize the difference u r a racist

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My Chinese name is Yizhi. Which one of the following English names is better?

I just got to know some Chinese have ridiculous Foreign names. So before I intitule my name I need local speaker's help.
1.Alice(It's the original one, I like Alice in Wonderland. Anyway, when my 50-year-old tutor said his grandmother had that name I felt like choosing a new one).
2.Reol(How about this one?).
3.Shadowler(I'm afraid it has bad meaning).
4.Yizhi(my chinese name, is it hard to pronouce or sound werid?).
The above names occur to me, I just can't make up my mind, please choose one you like best and your reason or your other recommendation.
Thanks a lot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BONGHITZ posted:

Tell everyone what he's doing. Number of shits per day. Keep an ongoing post on Facebook logging his logs.

Edit:^^ John is a good name. The only John's I know are assholes but it's a good name.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 5, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

McGavin posted:

My Chinese name is Yizhi. Which one of the following English names is better?

I just got to know some Chinese have ridiculous Foreign names. So before I intitule my name I need local speaker's help.
1.Alice(It's the original one, I like Alice in Wonderland. Anyway, when my 50-year-old tutor said his grandmother had that name I felt like choosing a new one).
2.Reol(How about this one?).
3.Shadowler(I'm afraid it has bad meaning).
4.Yizhi(my chinese name, is it hard to pronouce or sound werid?).
The above names occur to me, I just can't make up my mind, please choose one you like best and your reason or your other recommendation.
Thanks a lot.

One of the people I worked with in Thailand had a student whose nickname (which for a Thai person is your name for basically everything other than filling out government paperwork) was Turd. Usually you hear the same nicknames over and over so I wanted to know where she has gotten that. It was a truncation of her surname (not an uncommon way to make a nickname) which was Turdsak. He said he didn't have the heart to tell her. She pronounced it exactly like it's spelled.

Later when I was bartending in NYC the manger hired two Thai girls who could barely speak English and didn't know how to bartend. This is for a nightclub with high volume in Manhattan. It was because he had a huge Asian fetish. One of the girls told me her name was Birdy which was a translation of her very common Thai nickname "Nok" (which means bird). She was awfully excited that I knew her actual name was Nok but still I had to pass along the word that neither of these girls could be made into passable bartenders in any reasonable period of time. Sorry Birdy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also I ran across a person named Feyonce in NYC and upon trying to pronounce her name ("Fee-yonce?") was curtly told "It's Feyonce, like Beyonce, with an F."

I'm pretty sure I could have been more subtle with my :stare: as response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gorilla Salad posted:

This was in the AUG thread, but it's too horrifying not to share.

They look like the humanoid robots from Alien.

• Locked thread