Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Moey posted:

Wait. You are telling me that every single person in the IT department shouldn't have domain admin rights on their regular account?

That's right.

They should have Enterprise Admin rights. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

sfwarlock posted:

You got their fax line maybe?

Maybe? That's the number he gave me and I'm pretty sure I called him on the same line to schedule his appointment in the first place.

DizzyBum posted:

Weekly reminder that faxes are still a thing requiring support. :sigh:

Tell me about it. Our fax is my printer and every day, one of our suppliers has to try 10 or more times to fax over order confirmations for one of our salesmen because the thing is a piece of poo poo and digital faxes apparently don't exist.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The only reason a project manager should register complaints is if deadlines aren't being met, communication isn't kept up, or scheduled / reserved resources aren't available.

What does she care if you have youtube open if her projects are in good standing?

Because she is a nosy busybody who gets in everyone's business and really gets people's backs up by getting involved in things that are frankly none of her business, but she likes to lodge official complaints about this stuff. I'm not sure anyone likes her, and she was the reason that my team lead got demoted from manager back down to team lead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

she was the reason that my team lead got demoted from manager back down to team lead.

OK so she's getting kudos from management for her schoolyard level tattling. I'll bet management thinks she's the best project manager around because she stops people from watching youtube videos, undeniably increasing productivity.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Maybe? That's the number he gave me and I'm pretty sure I called him on the same line to schedule his appointment in the first place.

Tell me about it. Our fax is my printer and every day, one of our suppliers has to try 10 or more times to fax over order confirmations for one of our salesmen because the thing is a piece of poo poo and digital faxes apparently don't exist.

They're called "email", and god forbid any dinosaurs have to learn new things...

(disclaimer: I work in healthcare, and deal with faxfaxfaxfaxfaxfaxFAX all loving day long, unless something breaks)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

I dunno, maybe I am reckless. But I just don't feel like there's much of a threat from common viruses. We've got Kaspersky running, networks are segregated and I am doing my damndest to get privilege hoarders down to the smallest set I can give them. There have been several crypto virus outbreaks of all flavors, but they have all been easy to contain, and backups are always there to fix things if nothing else works. Maybe I am missing some huge vector leaving me open for catastrophic failure, but I just don't see it. Feel free to clue me in tho.

No sarcasm btw.
The fact that you've suffered multiple cryptolocker attacks is an extremely loud indicator that you that you are doing something wrong.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MF_James posted:

Really you shouldn't, you should have your regular user account and then an elevated account to use when you need elevated privileges. If you really want to go crazy with it, use something like ERPM and then you have to check out the password, put a reason for doing so, when you're done, you check it in, and the password spins.

*edit*

This is also useful for a reason other than security, it keeps lazy admins from loving up when they make a change and not realizing it works for an admin user but not for a regular user.

Ha, I am well aware of this. Been nagging about it since i started 4 years ago, no one cares.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

The fact that you've suffered multiple cryptolocker attacks is an extremely loud indicator that you that you are doing something wrong.

It's a management problem :pervert:

Seriously tho, it's not a technical problem when half our users keep running them and I still haven't gotten permission to do a software run policy of any sort.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

One should expect recklessness from a SEXCobra.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

Our management are cracking down on people who react less than positively about events that occur in the workplace, because actually dealing with the issues that lead to poor morale is evidently beyond their capability. I have been indirectly accused of being one half of the reason why an employee resigned to get a much better job elsewhere, in the industry he moved to this country to work in.

The wilful misunderstanding on display here is truly incredible.

I've been in this boat many times and it sucks rear end - worst is when a company sets up an event, says it's voluntary, then gets upset when people don't or can't volunteer. Happened at my last job where we had a Habitat for Humanity build and the people who coordinated the event didn't check the date to see who would be available. Idiot managers agreed to schedule it for the Friday before Memorial Day weekend and at least half the office had taken that day off several weeks in advance :doh:

I even had my manager talk to me in a one-on-one meeting the other day because there have been a handful of events I couldn't attend recently. One was a stupid golf outing, I don't golf and the outing was set up so that if you don't play, you can't attend at all. Another was some garbage "health" meeting with a chiropractor talking about things everyone has heard a million times before, and I was working an urgent client problem. Before that, it was a company party that I couldn't attend because I had to take my dad to a follow-up doctor appointment for cancer screening when my mom was out of town and nobody else was able to help. I really don't give a gently caress because I do my job, my clients love me and if someone wants to bitch about me attending a useless meeting that's been rehashed a hundred times or that gets clogged with bullshit non-work chatter, they can kiss my hairy white rear end.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I've been in this boat many times and it sucks rear end - worst is when a company sets up an event, says it's voluntary, then gets upset when people don't or can't volunteer. Happened at my last job where we had a Habitat for Humanity build and the people who coordinated the event didn't check the date to see who would be available. Idiot managers agreed to schedule it for the Friday before Memorial Day weekend and at least half the office had taken that day off several weeks in advance :doh:

I even had my manager talk to me in a one-on-one meeting the other day because there have been a handful of events I couldn't attend recently. One was a stupid golf outing, I don't golf and the outing was set up so that if you don't play, you can't attend at all. Another was some garbage "health" meeting with a chiropractor talking about things everyone has heard a million times before, and I was working an urgent client problem. Before that, it was a company party that I couldn't attend because I had to take my dad to a follow-up doctor appointment for cancer screening when my mom was out of town and nobody else was able to help. I really don't give a gently caress because I do my job, my clients love me and if someone wants to bitch about me attending a useless meeting that's been rehashed a hundred times or that gets clogged with bullshit non-work chatter, they can kiss my hairy white rear end.

NO NO NO PULL UP not the great company event shitstorm again

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
loving NERDS not attending mandatory obedience training events

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dick Trauma posted:

One should expect recklessness from a SEXCobra.

U wanna fite?

*throws *

(Just to be clear, I didn't name myself after swedish money, but it's usually the joke that comes before yours DT)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hey how about we talk about beer and whiskey.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had 5 pints of Staropramen last night and went to work this morning. It was a pretty horrible experience.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

They're called "email", and god forbid any dinosaurs have to learn new things...

(disclaimer: I work in healthcare, and deal with faxfaxfaxfaxfaxfaxFAX all loving day long, unless something breaks)

Sup fax buddy :( :hf: :(

Looking at our eFax server right now... users sent 10 faxes, received 40 today.

That's infinity more than we should ever, ever have to deal with.

A 76 page fax what in the actual gently caress just order the book on Amazon you cheapskates.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Reminder: the Federal Reserve still has faxes (with a special Fed. Reserve coversheet) as a hard requirement for transmissions.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
You know what, it should be a requirement in interviews to get the interviewee to laugh.

This annoying motherfucker who now sits across from me sounds like a goddamn strangled sea lion upon hearing a humourous anecdote, nevermind the fact he's been here a week and late every single day, does not stop eating sweets, does gently caress all work and moans about responsibilities despite being hired as an office bitch. I'm actually at home tired from being annoyed all day, rather than just regular ol' stress.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Sup fax buddy :( :hf: :(

Looking at our eFax server right now... users sent 10 faxes, received 40 today.

That's infinity more than we should ever, ever have to deal with.

A 76 page fax what in the actual gently caress just order the book on Amazon you cheapskates.

76 pages? Heh, ask me about someone deciding to send up 260+ pages of medical records via fax, about... oh, ten years back? When the main fax # connected to an actual (beat-to-poo poo) physical fax machine that would gag about 20 pages in, and for the sender to restart from the beginning... :smithicide: IIRC we eventually called them to just loving *main* that poo poo. (Wanna say it was a long-distance call to boot.)

Other day was fun - hospital threw a stack of records our way - addressed for a different person and organization entirely. :ohdear: Luckily, the cover sheet has the info for who to contact in case of misrouted PHI, yay! :toot: Call 'em, rings through to voicemail... and the mailbox is full. :eng99:

Ended up just faxing it back with commentary on the cover sheet, haven't heard anything more since so I guess it's good.

(That's the first one I've seen that was straight-up obviously *wrong*. We get tons of requests for info, scrips and other Rx related stuff, and referrals for clinicians who haven't been here in forever, and medical records gets to go through all that poo poo to see if they're even still a *client* here - but otherwise the wrongest inbounds have been branch locations faxing us instead of whoever they were supposed to, and scams. "Why yes, we're Aerospatiale based in Quebec, sure we'd like to send you our banking info...")

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I ask a question for my mimecast implimentation engineer.

:) : I have a question about part of this guide. Can you clarify what its wanting? (screenshots part of guide about certs)

:derptiel: It needs the cert info.

:) What part of the cert info? Can you be more specific? This is wanting certain formatting.

:derptiel: Links me the guide I sent him screenshot from.

:) Umm, that is the guide I screenshotted it from?

:derptiel: Links me another guide, which is just the parent guide that leads to the exact guide.

:) Can you give me support that goes beyond linking me the guide?

:derptiel: :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

We're moving to Oracle Cloud and the contractors we have are not great. In fact, they're pretty bad. One of their latest things is that they need us to create an email address, so I asked them what they needed it for. Turns out it needs to be set up so that all mail going to this address gets redirected to some email address at cloud.oracle.com. And it turns out it's only for our MFPs to scan to. Why can't they just put this email address on the scanner's address book? This is a brand new workflow, it's not like we're changing an existing email address redirection rule.

But, we got it set up the way they wanted, and then after they started testing it I got this:
I don't understand because as far as I know there isn't a Windows server involved in their process. All the emails are coming from canon@domain.com and are getting correctly routed to their cloud.oracle.com address. As far as I can tell, there isn't a Windows server involved in this process at all, and it sounds extremely like it's Not My Problem. Also, gently caress Oracle.
The list of cloud IPs:

Our networking guy's firewall rules:
code:
config t
int gig2/0/9
no description WP-SVR-08 [N1]
description Oracle Cloud to Finance Printer

---------
wpt-fw02#
---------
config t
name 160.34.15.49 Oracle_Cloud_Printer1 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.50 Oracle_Cloud_Printer2 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.51 Oracle_Cloud_Printer3 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.52 Oracle_Cloud_Printer4 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.53 Oracle_Cloud_Printer5 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.54 Oracle_Cloud_Printer6 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer

network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer1 
network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer2 
network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer3 
network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer4 
network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer5 
network-object host Oracle_Cloud_Printer6

accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer1 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer2 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer3 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer4 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer5 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer6 host 10.50.50.10 https

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

76 pages? Heh, ask me about someone deciding to send up 260+ pages of medical records via fax, about... oh, ten years back? When the main fax # connected to an actual (beat-to-poo poo) physical fax machine that would gag about 20 pages in, and for the sender to restart from the beginning... :smithicide: IIRC we eventually called them to just loving *main* that poo poo. (Wanna say it was a long-distance call to boot.)

A hospital once in the early 2000's faxed me a large amount of patient records including treatment details and charges. I don't work anywhere near the medical field. I tried contacting them, but they basically blew me off. I wonder if anything ever came of that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Slash posted:

You know what, it should be a requirement in interviews to get the interviewee to laugh.

This annoying motherfucker who now sits across from me sounds like a goddamn strangled sea lion upon hearing a humourous anecdote, nevermind the fact he's been here a week and late every single day, does not stop eating sweets, does gently caress all work and moans about responsibilities despite being hired as an office bitch. I'm actually at home tired from being annoyed all day, rather than just regular ol' stress.

I got my current job I'm a Skype interview. It's for a Linux position. When the director called me, his camera would work so I walked him through reinstalling the camera drivers on his laptop. Took him a while to find the right Dell driver and after about twenty minutes the camera worked. We talked for five minutes and he was like the job is yours.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Somehow the guy organizing my 30th high school reunion got my cell phone number. I've never been to a reunion and I'm not starting now. I wonder if my number is in one of those "background check" website databases...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Somehow the guy organizing my 30th high school reunion got my cell phone number. I've never been to a reunion and I'm not starting now. I wonder if my number is in one of those "background check" website databases...

Holy crap you're 48 years old?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Holy crap you're 48 years old?

And here I am thinking "Oh, he's only 48. From how he talked I thought he was much older."

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Don't be so hasty, he could be 47...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm 49 going on 50 this winter. A little older than my classmates were due to poor life decisions, but people tend to guess my age at 10 years lower so that's a balm.

Maybe I should start acting like a wild and woolly 39 year-old. :toot:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

anthonypants posted:

The list of cloud IPs:

code:
config t
int gig2/0/9

---------
wpt-fw02#
---------
config t
name 160.34.15.49 Oracle_Cloud_Printer1 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.50 Oracle_Cloud_Printer2 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.51 Oracle_Cloud_Printer3 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.52 Oracle_Cloud_Printer4 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.53 Oracle_Cloud_Printer5 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer
name 160.34.15.54 Oracle_Cloud_Printer6 description Oracle_Cloud_to_Finance_Printer

accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer1 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer2 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer3 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer4 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer5 host 10.50.50.10 https 
accesss-list from-outside extended tcp Oracle_Cloud_Printer6 host 10.50.50.10 https

Looking good. Groups and network objects are for the weak. He should up his game and just do any any permit tho imo.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 5, 2016

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

poo poo pissing me off right now: Xero. Hey, Xero dude. You bigged up your product, made it sound fantastic, and the reviews online seem to agree. Well my accounting is currently a cobweb of Excel spreadsheets and my lovely memory, so an easy to use accounting product not made by Intuit sounds great! So I try to sign up, create an account, then get asked to input my organization information. Sweet - easy stuff, name of org, timezone, industry, and buttons for free trial and buy now. Well I'm pretty much decided I'm going to buy, but hey, why not start with a free trial?

Except clicking the button results in a spinning icon overlay on the button, and nothing happening. Until the page times out and asks if I'm still there and prompts me to login again.

OK let's try the buy now button - maybe this is just a hilarious joke to make people buy the product. Oh wait, same poo poo. SWEET. Hey guess what, this isn't promoting confidence in your loving CLOUD BASED WEBAPP product when the basic sign up screen doesn't loving function.

Well, since apparently I have to troubleshoot your poo poo, let's just see if it's browser related. Clear Chrome history, restart Chrome for the hell of it. No dice.

OK...........maybe you wrote your poo poo for IIS 6? Let's try IE. OH LOOK THAT WORKS. wait, what?

I mean I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe Chrome just updated something and that one page hasn't been fixed, but when your entire product is accessed through a web browser and the majority of your intended audience as far as I can tell (i.e. modern hip new business-starters as opposed to stodgy old people) wouldn't in fact be caught dead using IE, then unless Chrome literally updated an hour ago (it didn't), that's pretty loving unacceptable and a terrible first impression of your product. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to plow ahead because gently caress Intuit with a rusty spike, but now it's with an extremely critical eye towards anything else not working given that this product is supposed to be, oh, I don't know, handling my money.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sickening posted:

I ask a question for my mimecast implimentation engineer.

:) : I have a question about part of this guide. Can you clarify what its wanting? (screenshots part of guide about certs)

:derptiel: It needs the cert info.

:) What part of the cert info? Can you be more specific? This is wanting certain formatting.

:derptiel: Links me the guide I sent him screenshot from.

:) Umm, that is the guide I screenshotted it from?

:derptiel: Links me another guide, which is just the parent guide that leads to the exact guide.

:) Can you give me support that goes beyond linking me the guide?

:derptiel: :iiam:

Kaspersky Support has been doing this to me. Basically KSC won't identify any software so filezilla wont work. Sent them a link to the filezilla wiki and how classification doesnt work at all. They sent back the filezilla wiki link after asking for my policy. :downs:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe I should start acting like a wild and woolly 39 year-old. :toot:

Time to settle down and have some kids.

Naah. I'm not doing that again!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Pissing me off today: My boss.

Don't get me wrong, I love my boss, he's a good boss, takes care of his people, but jesus christ he sucks at doing paperwork.

The end of our Fiscal Year is October 1. Early September I sent him a server quote, that was IN THE BUDGET so it would get ordered for graylog. I'm running some 6 year old r710 with no warranty or storage so I'm only keeping a few days worth of logs. He sat on the damned quote until it was too late to order in the '16 fiscal and never did the paperwork to move the purchase to '17.

I had also submitted an expense for '17 for 4 NOC screens (and hardware/wiring for them), and I just found out this morning he forgot to add my submit to our '17 budget.

#firstworldproblems compared to a lot of poo poo you guys deal with, but it still chaps my rear end.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Apparently middle of the day Thursday is a good time to migrate our Exchange server to O365 or whatever the hell our IT department decided to do. (It's definitely a server migration.)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
They're giving themselves all of Friday to sober up. Smart IT department.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

totalnewbie posted:

Apparently middle of the day Thursday is a good time to migrate our Exchange server to O365 or whatever the hell our IT department decided to do. (It's definitely a server migration.)

We are moving our servers back from our disaster recovery site this weekend. The weekend Matthew is going to hit. We are an insurance company. Someone thinks this is a good idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO's son has been spending more time here than usual. He seems to have some understanding of our business and I've seen him pulled into work related discussions, but lately he appears to be working on one of two things:

1. His Dad's never-ending mansion renovation
2. His side business as some sort of writer/game developer.

He's always been decent to me but he reminds me of Bill in that his behavior is regularly inappropriate, telling foul jokes about Arabs or Muslims, swearing constantly, etc. This morning he came in, walked past my door and then started shouting "gently caress" at the top of his lungs. He began pacing back and forth and at one point was kicking the wall in the lobby as he continued to curse.

After about six minutes of this he calmed down and phoned someone at his side gig to see if they could bring him his Macbook charger. Forgetting it (again) was enough to prompt his tantrum.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If your business is big enough to have dodgy CEOs, maybe have a macbook charger or two lying around would save some stress + drama.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

The list of cloud IPs:

code:
config t
int gig2/0/9

---------
wpt-fw02#
---------
config t

My coworker was confused about how to install a certificate on the printer and was saying that it wouldn't take the wildcard because it had to be in a base64 .pem but all our Windows junk uses .pfx, and was incredulous that it accepted the .pfx just fine.

Today our networking guy got very confused when I asked him what the public IP address of this printer is, and thought:
we meant the IP address that the users would be connecting from
that it was in the DMZ so it's ok
that he had done this already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

anthonypants posted:

that it was in the DMZ so it's ok
that he had done this already

I kinda want to get oldass network printers and DMZ them with an r-pi attached to it to log config changes and firmware modifications, and just collect all those tasty exploits (and printed pictures of pensis).