Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
suicide doesnt have to be sad. it sounds like he ended his life on his own terms without suffering. celebrate the fact that he did what he wanted to on this earth and didn't linger longer than he wanted to either.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
death is certain. it doesn't have to be disorganised

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
he wrote an excellent article a while back called "A Protocol For Dying" which gives clear advice for social incompetents on how to talk to dying people

also yes zmq et al own

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

git help stash

TFS bithc! (Yes I know about shelves, but its still dumb policy.)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I won't pretend euthanasia doesn't weird me out. it reminds me of those people who hold their funeral wake while they're still alive

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Soricidus posted:

the command line works the same way everywhere. i mean i could learn to do things in one gui on my mac at home and another gui or two on the various windows and linux boxes at work, and then i'd ... still be screwed when i want to do something when i'm just ssh'd to a headless vm. or i could stop being a big whiny baby and learn a few command line options.

can't it be both?

like, if you have a nice gui available why not use it but if not a few basic commands will do

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

i mean, death itself is weird. it's weird that we die

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

can someone recommend a book on SQL development? like optimizing queries, best practices, how to think about reads and writes? everything i've seen looks like it's for someone who doesn't even know what an RDBMS is. (i am working on SQL server 2014)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HoboMan posted:

can someone recommend a book on SQL development? like optimizing queries, best practices, how to think about reads and writes? everything i've seen looks like it's for someone who doesn't even know what an RDBMS is. (i am working on SQL server 2014)

SQL Antipatterns is good for learning what not to do and it covers stuff from schema design to query patterns

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

St Evan Echoes posted:

SQL Antipatterns is good for learning what not to do and it covers stuff from schema design to query patterns

this book is great, learning the anti patterns was so much more useful

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

cover art made me lol, sold

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HoboMan posted:

cover art made me lol, sold

:same:

I downloaded it from Russia and cracked it open. Checked out a few chapters. I'm shelling out the money for the ebook this is good stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so what im gathering is that the design of html+css is malicious toward the programmer and all the browser vendors are huge dickheads

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
certainly css was designed specifically to meet the needs of the w3c itself, while the needs of actual web designers fell by the wayside

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
https://www.w3.org/People/Bos/CSS-variables is an important read

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The more interact with webdev the more apparent it becomes that everything associated with it is a clusterfuck. html is full of legacy "features" and javascript is unmitigated garbage. Major web development tools are full of bugs and processes which would be unacceptable elsewhere. npm will peg your cpu unless you use the --verbose flag in Windows, and is slow in any case. phantomjs has long standing memory leaks in key features and shallows some types of error silently. The 'correct' way to have multiple javascript files in one app is to loving concatenate the files!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, yes, if-then-else would be so much harder to understand than the loving "cascade algorithm" that just picks particular things about elements to be the most specific. its immediately clear that since i included a style element in my selector thats automatically more specific than .layoutTable > tr > padding {}

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pointsofdata posted:

The more interact with webdev the more apparent it becomes that everything associated with it is a clusterfuck. html is full of legacy "features" and javascript is unmitigated garbage. Major web development tools are full of bugs and processes which would be unacceptable elsewhere. npm will peg your cpu unless you use the --verbose flag in Windows, and is slow in any case. phantomjs has long standing memory leaks in key features and shallows some types of error silently. The 'correct' way to have multiple javascript files in one app is to loving concatenate the files!

ya, at first i thought the person who dreamed up our folder structure for web stuff is an rear end in a top hat (since there's three layers of folders that will generally just be empty except for subfolders), but thinking about how stylesheets and javascript stuff wedges together it makes a fuckton more sense.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

like I get that these are all free tools, but their existence makes it hard for high quality paid solutions to get off the ground. Sql server, visual studio and intellij show that it is possible to make high quality tools with free competitors (not that vs really has any), but this doesn't really seem to have happened in the Web space

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

of all the millions of grievances with css, its no single line comments that really burns my biscuits

like css more than any kind of lang is where you'd most want to comment out a line real quick to see what happens

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

Very few people (only professional designers, it seems) write style sheets longer than a hundred lines

love that line so much

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

pointsofdata posted:

With HTTP/2 you don't have to do that file concatenation poo poo anymore.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

the web was 'designed' 30 years ago and everyone expected it to be replaced 15 years ago, but it just keeps going and going because devs keep inventing hacks (they are hacks) to stretch its use cases. it needs to be able to support the space jam site just as much as it needs to be able to support netflix.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

With HTTP/2 you don't have to do that file concatenation poo poo anymore.

yes thankfully the biggest players in tech have poured billions of dollars and man hours into modernizing and sanctifying javascript

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

AWWNAW posted:

yes thankfully the biggest players in tech have poured billions of dollars and man hours into modernizing and sanctifying javascript

lol I know :thejoke: but I wouldn't go that far... it will take more than a major HTTP revision to fix pjavascript

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

of all the millions of grievances with css, its no single line comments that really burns my biscuits

like css more than any kind of lang is where you'd most want to comment out a line real quick to see what happens

you should use whatever key combination your editor uses to comment and uncomment stuff

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

everything ive ever seen about webdev makes me think "oh god why would you do it like that"

previous job i was doing web scraping and parsing and there's so much garbage out there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

Whatever happened to GEM?
-------------------------

None of this discussion has dealt with GEM. Why? Because so far as GEM is concerned, the serial port doesn't exist.

The AES Event Manager doesn't poll the aux port to determine whether an event has occurred.

If you want to write a GEM event-driven communications program that will cooperate with desk accessories for multitasking, you'll need to use the timer with a time value of 0. This will allow a task switch to take place, and when you regain control you can check the serial port's status with GEMDOS or BIOS.

If you're worried that the serial input buffer will overflow while some system-hog task is running, resize the buffer as described below.

well then, gently caress you GEM

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hifi posted:

you should use whatever key combination your editor uses to comment and uncomment stuff

i am a fan of // and del-del

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or ctrl-del if im feeling fancy

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

it's like literally every company in existence need to do web poo poo nowadays, but the tools and workflows are the most horrible poo poo ever that almost requires you to hand craft some bespoke artisinal bullshit that other devs will hate you for later.

i think there would be a ton of money in making a sane workflow, but here we are.

hey... anyone know any vc investors?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"a sane workflow" isn't flashy, so no vc money for you i'm afraid

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Of all the cargo-culty poo poo that exists in software development, web development has some of the worst and most arbitrary examples of it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Which is why I will never go back to having "Web Developer" as my job title, even if all I do all day is webdev.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

like I get that these are all free tools, but their existence makes it hard for high quality paid solutions to get off the ground. Sql server, visual studio and intellij show that it is possible to make high quality tools with free competitors (not that vs really has any), but this doesn't really seem to have happened in the Web space

intellij gets some really fancy stuff right and a whole bunch of extremely basic stuff completely wrong. i bought a license because i wanted to support the developers and i regret doing so.

want to add an extra level of indentation to wrapped lines? gently caress you. there's a bunch of niggles that i ran into and couldn't fix but that's the main one that sticks out. this combined with the fact that it likes to gratuitously reformat my code every time i do a refactor or C&P is a dealbreaker.

maven integration? kinda rudimentary. a dude working with me on a side project complained that he had to spend a while kicking intellij before it realized my code was java 8 and not java 6 (despite the pom saying that it's java 8).

jpa integration? very flashy, and does not appear to work at all. like i can't get it to connect to my data source and it just highlights everything as an error

oddly enough NetBeans seems to get the basic stuff right in a way that the other Java IDEs do not, and yet I think I'm the last person outside of Oracle who still uses it. Add a compiler plugin to your POM, for instance: it integrates into the error highlighting and generates whatever source code it needs to generate in the background in real time as you edit. Imports are cleaned up automatically on save. Autocompletion is not lightning fast but quite adequate in the responsiveness dept.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the Right Way To Do It changes every three months in web land, good luck staying ahead of that while not becoming part of the problem.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
intellij owns and i never regret buying a license.

i dont use maven tho, i use gradle, which has a "generate an intellij project from this build.gradle" plugin.

i hate using anything else as an IDE because everything is so fast.

their code generation templating is p. dece too, if I want fluent style getters I just create a template and boom it's there.

also it understands javax.annotation.Nonnull/Nullable and tells you when you're not checking null correctly.

im a huge intellij fanboy, tho

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gently caress why do our people keep using concatenated strings to build stored proc executions in c#? like, our libraries even provide a method to just pass a hashtable of params but no, gotta concatenate those strings and return even a single value as a datatable instead of using an OUTPUT!

unrelated but gently caress whoever at AMD made their driver update set hdmi audio to 100 and nearly blow out my eardrums when i put my headphones on and hit play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

intellij owns and i never regret buying a license.

i dont use maven tho, i use gradle, which has a "generate an intellij project from this build.gradle" plugin.

i hate using anything else as an IDE because everything is so fast.

their code generation templating is p. dece too, if I want fluent style getters I just create a template and boom it's there.

also it understands javax.annotation.Nonnull/Nullable and tells you when you're not checking null correctly.

im a huge intellij fanboy, tho
why would you flash the shaggar-signal like this

• Locked thread