Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spooky like this! posted:

So according to this pdf Guardians of the Galaxy has the most on screen deaths of any movie ever. The important thing is "on screen" which doesn't count stuff like planets blowing up in Star Wars. The thing that puts it over the top is the part where all the Nova Corp ships blow up. They claim they counted each one and use the earlier scene where you see that each ship is a one seater. Apparently the group who did this compared over 600 movies.

The final total :83,871

I don't understand how a bunch of ships blowing up is different than a planet blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

I don't understand how a bunch of ships blowing up is different than a planet blowing up.

Or even the destruction of the Death Star and other capital ships.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because they can actually quantify how many died in those scenes instead of the generic "just a whole bunch" that you get from capital ships or planets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is some really specious reasoning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Genocide erasure

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Because they can actually quantify how many died in those scenes instead of the generic "just a whole bunch" that you get from capital ships or planets.

"You know there are people in those ships" is quantifiable, but "You know there are people in those buildings/on that planet." somehow isn't? It seems like a really weird justification.

Besides, GotG2 could always say that not all of them died or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jamesman posted:

"You know there are people in those ships" is quantifiable, but "You know there are people in those buildings/on that planet." somehow isn't? It seems like a really weird justification.

Besides, GotG2 could always say that not all of them died or something.

They were all cargo ships.

And the cargo was people!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guardians 2 has a chance of blowing up a planet that is a person. That has to count for something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That still only counts as one!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

That still only counts as one!

If we counted any lifeforms on Ego we'd have to count the bacteria in dying humans.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WickedHate posted:

Or natural disaster movies. Or war movies. Or Man of Steel. With the way you see how the World Engine crushes people to death while others get incinerated by crushing fighter jets, 600 seems low.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

So according to this pdf Guardians of the Galaxy has the most on screen deaths of any movie ever. The important thing is "on screen" which doesn't count stuff like planets blowing up in Star Wars. The thing that puts it over the top is the part where all the Nova Corp ships blow up. They claim they counted each one and use the earlier scene where you see that each ship is a one seater. Apparently the group who did this compared over 600 movies.

The final total :83,871

I hope Gunn sees this and accepts it as a challenge

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Or natural disaster movies. Or war movies. Or Man of Steel. With the way you see how the World Engine crushes people to death while others get incinerated by crushing fighter jets, 600 seems low.

Yeah but even if they count all the visible individual deaths, it's probably less than 80000.

In Guardians you do actually see every little ship explode in a big wide shot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This low number I know exactly is higher than this enormous number I know roughly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy: I'm going to count visible deaths in movies.

Goons: You forgot all these not visible ones!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but even if they count all the visible individual deaths, it's probably less than 80000.

In Guardians you do actually see every little ship explode in a big wide shot.

if I read correctly the little ships are 600 in total. There is just no way there are 79400 other onscreen deaths in Guardians, unless they count stuff they should count in other movies too.

Edit: I didn't read correctly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Aphrodite posted:

Guy: I'm going to count visible deaths in movies.

Goons: You forgot all these not visible ones!
Or "That's a very arbitrary definition of 'visible deaths'".

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If anything, deaths in ships shouldn't count because we can't see the guys inside. Alderaan had millions of people just standing around outside, which makes them MORE visible than people who are closer to the camera but also inside an opaque vehicle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ignite Memories posted:

If anything, deaths in ships shouldn't count because we can't see the guys inside. Alderaan had millions of people just standing around outside, which makes them MORE visible than people who are closer to the camera but also inside an opaque vehicle.

Alderaan, plus the crew of the Death Star. That thing probably had a crew in the tens of thousands.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I couldn't see them because they were inside.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm now wondering if GotG had the most on-screen spaceships destroyed in any movie ever, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ships are never shown leaving the atmosphere, we can't determine if they're space ships or not.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I reckon GOTG had the most dancing trees on screen in any movie ever.

brb going to watch 600 movies to confirm

note: the LOTR films had trees who may possibly have danced but they did not dance on screen

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What about the trees in The Happening?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

What about the trees in The Happening?

What about the wooden performances in The Happening?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I reckon GOTG had the most dancing trees on screen in any movie ever.

brb going to watch 600 movies to confirm

note: the LOTR films had trees who may possibly have danced but they did not dance on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOk7uIZeAwQ&t=137s

2! 2 dancing trees! Ah ah ah!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is a bad title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

That is a bad title.

Weapon X would be a good one for a Wolverine movie but if it didn't tell the story of his origin (like Origins) then I guess it wouldn't fit.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lobok posted:

Weapon X would be a good one for a Wolverine movie but if it didn't tell the story of his origin (like Origins) then I guess it wouldn't fit.

If Fox had any clear goal for the franchise and didn't just poo poo out disjointed solo pics they could have done a trilogy and had the titles go like

1. Weapon X
2. Wolverine
3. Logan

and the titles would have been thematically appropriate to different time periods in the character's life. Instead we have movies that barely have continuity with each other let alone the rest of the X franchise and are all tonally conflicting with each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dacap posted:

If Fox had any clear goal for the franchise and didn't just poo poo out disjointed solo pics they could have done a trilogy and had the titles go like

1. Weapon X
2. Wolverine
3. Logan

and the titles would have been thematically appropriate to different time periods in the character's life. Instead we have movies that barely have continuity with each other let alone the rest of the X franchise and are all tonally conflicting with each other.

To be fair that's pretty accurate to Wolverine in comics!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that's pretty accurate to Wolverine in comics!

True, Fox's incompetence leading to a super confusing and disjointed X-Men continuity probably makes it the most accurately adapted comic franchise ever.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Okay but if this results in an X-23 Wolverine franchise I will never stop watching ever

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

To nobody's surprise, there is going to be an Extended Cut of Suicide Squad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh boy all that extra Leto footage :suicide:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is this going against Ayer's wishes? I kind of remember him saying there would absolutely not be a different cut because the theatrical was his cut.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Dr. Strange TV spot with some ear-piercing sound design and uǝʍ ɟooʇɐƃǝ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evlaiJefPLQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is it going to have the events of the film in chronological order?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope the extended Suicide Squad cut gets rid of all the pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Is this going against Ayer's wishes? I kind of remember him saying there would absolutely not be a different cut because the theatrical was his cut.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squad-extended-cut-be-935299

quote:

Jared Leto (The Joker) has spoken out about scenes with his character that didn't make the theatrical cut, but writer-director David Ayer previously suggested that the version of Suicide Squad that hit theaters is the only cut that would see the light of day ("There’s no sort of parallel-universe version of the movie — the released movie is my cut," he said in August) and that there would be no R-rated cut, ala Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

So of course they were lying back then.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Dr. Strange TV spot with some ear-piercing sound design and uǝʍ ɟooʇɐƃǝ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evlaiJefPLQ

I think this is pretty much confirmation that Strange has the Time Stone.

And the companion piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAO2HaX-6F4

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread