Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Both VPs are middle aged-white dads. The Hulk is an unstoppable green atomic monster who destroys buildings.

I know, and that's what they know him as. He's the big green dude that's sort of Iron Man and Captain America's sidekick, just like they know Trump's sidekick is some middle-aged white dude but they don't know his name. Tony Stark is obviously well known, with him being basically super-powered Bill Gates. Captain America is a war hero who has museums dedicated to him. There's been media campaigns promoting both of them, which is where they get their name recognition. The others, not so much. Someone mentioned Black Widow testifying in Congress, but most people don't watch that or care, let alone remember the name of a single individual involved. Black Panther is a world leader involved in a bombing, but even that won't stick once the hype dies down.

Outside of people like politicians, journalists and people that are already interested in those things nobody cares enough to remember their names.

It's counter intuitive to the viewer because we, in real life, have been inundated with the marketing surrounding the characters but in-universe none of that exists, with the exception of Stark and Cap. So while it might strike us as odd it does make sense in world where super powers exist. I mean, how many know the names of the terrorists that shot up the theatre in Paris, or the guy in the truck in Nice, or any terrorist except Bin Laden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Taeke posted:

I know, and that's what they know him as. He's the big green dude that's sort of Iron Man and Captain America's sidekick, just like they know Trump's sidekick is some middle-aged white dude but they don't know his name. Tony Stark is obviously well known, with him being basically super-powered Bill Gates. Captain America is a war hero who has museums dedicated to him. There's been media campaigns promoting both of them, which is where they get their name recognition. The others, not so much. Someone mentioned Black Widow testifying in Congress, but most people don't watch that or care, let alone remember the name of a single individual involved. Black Panther is a world leader involved in a bombing, but even that won't stick once the hype dies down.

Outside of people like politicians, journalists and people that are already interested in those things nobody cares enough to remember their names.

It's counter intuitive to the viewer because we, in real life, have been inundated with the marketing surrounding the characters but in-universe none of that exists, with the exception of Stark and Cap. So while it might strike us as odd it does make sense in world where super powers exist. I mean, how many know the names of the terrorists that shot up the theatre in Paris, or the guy in the truck in Nice, or any terrorist except Bin Laden?

If any of those terrorists were green atomic monsters, their names would be remembered

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If any of those terrorists were green atomic monsters, their names would be remembered

Not if we were living in a world where a big green atomic monster isn't really all that special, considering sentient AI crash entire towns into the earth, aliens seem to invade us on a regular basis and actual loving magic exists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

It is really annoying especially because one time they stopped short of saying his name so I thought it was a licensing issue but then a few episodes later they flat out say "Superman's Pal" or something similar in reference to Jimmy

All the stuff about Superman not actually appearing in the first season of Supergirl was really awkward. The goofiest was the scene where he was knocked out in the DEO medical bay and the only thing in shot was his feet.

They are remedying this in S2 though as they actually cast a Superman and he's supposed to be in a couple of episodes at least.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

spooky like this! posted:

All the stuff about Superman not actually appearing in the first season of Supergirl was really awkward. The goofiest was the scene where he was knocked out in the DEO medical bay and the only thing in shot was his feet.

They are remedying this in S2 though as they actually cast a Superman and he's supposed to be in a couple of episodes at least.

So how do you have Superman in your superhero show without him immediately overshadowing the main character? Anytime she struggles to defeat the badguy, the audience has got to be wondering, "Why doesn't Superman just swoop in and save the day?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Canemacar posted:

So how do you have Superman in your superhero show without him immediately overshadowing the main character? Anytime she struggles to defeat the badguy, the audience has got to be wondering, "Why doesn't Superman just swoop in and save the day?"

That is one of the many problems with that show.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Not having read any of the comics, where this could possibly be explained, I get really annoyed watching any kind of superhero movie because the only real struggle any of them face can be reduced simply to not having enough time. I became aware of this way back when I was a wee credburn, watching Superman, and thinking that if nothing can hurt him and he can't die, then what is the point of any of this? I guess he might not get to the bus in time to save it, or something. But that was Superman, and yeah, I get that kryptonite or whatever can kill him, but other than that he is, to me, the most boring manifestation of a superhero, because he can do anything and he can't die. But that was Superman, so okay, that's fine.

But now I watch these other superhero movies and I just don't get it. They all seem to be superman. Thor, for instance. He can't be hurt, he can't die, he can fly, and yet the movies occasionally put him in some scenario where he appears to be in danger. But we've seen him get loving run over by a building, we've seen him fly, we've seen him come back from all of this with not a scratch on him, only a little one-liner and then he's back in the action. The same for many other superheroes. Captain America, also, apparently can't be hurt, judging from The Winter Soldier. So what's the real adversary, here? They might not save the people in time. That's it. THEY aren't in any danger, except I guess for mind-controlling sticks or whatever nefarious deed Hot Topic Loki is hatching. I guess I'm just talking about the smaller scenes, with the small fights and this illusion that there is some risk here.

Don't show me a superhero get run over by a cement mixer and then try and make me think the bank robber is going to hurt him with a gun.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

credburn posted:

Not having read any of the comics, where this could possibly be explained, I get really annoyed watching any kind of superhero movie because the only real struggle any of them face can be reduced simply to not having enough time. I became aware of this way back when I was a wee credburn, watching Superman, and thinking that if nothing can hurt him and he can't die, then what is the point of any of this? I guess he might not get to the bus in time to save it, or something. But that was Superman, and yeah, I get that kryptonite or whatever can kill him, but other than that he is, to me, the most boring manifestation of a superhero, because he can do anything and he can't die. But that was Superman, so okay, that's fine.

But now I watch these other superhero movies and I just don't get it. They all seem to be superman. Thor, for instance. He can't be hurt, he can't die, he can fly, and yet the movies occasionally put him in some scenario where he appears to be in danger. But we've seen him get loving run over by a building, we've seen him fly, we've seen him come back from all of this with not a scratch on him, only a little one-liner and then he's back in the action. The same for many other superheroes. Captain America, also, apparently can't be hurt, judging from The Winter Soldier. So what's the real adversary, here? They might not save the people in time. That's it. THEY aren't in any danger, except I guess for mind-controlling sticks or whatever nefarious deed Hot Topic Loki is hatching. I guess I'm just talking about the smaller scenes, with the small fights and this illusion that there is some risk here.

Don't show me a superhero get run over by a cement mixer and then try and make me think the bank robber is going to hurt him with a gun.

Captain America got shot several times in the Winter Soldier and needed hi shield to stand up to a minigun. Thor is an alien who can get hosed up by other aliens. Also the risk is that they are trying to save the world from a catastrophe in every superhero movie, not just stay alive.

Thor tries to save the town from the death robot in thor 1, and tries to keep the infinity stone from the evil elf in thor 2.

Captain America had to destroy the helicarriers in the Winter Soldier while getting shot and being forced to beat the poo poo out of his best friend. These are primary aspects of the plot in each of these movies if you paid attention.

In the winter soldier there is a whole scene of him struggling against normal dudes in an elevator. How do you gather he can't be hurt?

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

credburn posted:

They all seem to be superman.
Some of them certainly are, but not all. The Flash and Arrow are full of super heroes who get hurt. They're not good stories, but it's not because their protagonists are invulnerable. Daredevil gets the poo poo beaten out of him. Spider-Man's constantly getting knocked unconscious. Many of the X-Men are far from invulnerable.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

MrJacobs posted:

if you paid attention.

Don't get defensive. I didn't mean to poo poo on your comics.

I guess what annoys me is the inconsistencies. It's not that Thor is ALWAYS invulnerable, it's that he USUALLY is. I have SEEN various Superheroes get their clothes shredded, or whatever, but I've also seen them receive the same treatment in other scenes with no consequence. I know that these are Marvel superhero comics and it's largely inconsequential because it's all set up to be a money making machine so they can't actually die, but at least provide me with some kind of fear of great consequences.

But they fail at that, too. In many Superhero movies, they destroy buildings and bridges and cars blow up and though you don't see it, you have to imagine that hundreds or even thousands of innocent people are getting killed because superheroes can't handle things diplomatically. I think in The Avengers (it's been a long time, so forgive me if I'm a little off) there were some aliens that wanted to, I don't know, take control of New York or something, but the superheroes wouldn't let them. Then they proceed to annihilate New York. So, I'm thinking, if you had just made some kind of arrangement with the aliens, maybe a thousand innocent people wouldn't have gotten killed in the battle. That gets me thinking that, if their own lives aren't what I should be worried about, then it's their mission, which is, I guess, to protect people? But they're loving responsible for so much death. So...so...that would be FINE if they were the bad guys, and I was rooting for the bad guys or something. But they're not. They're just powerful gods who don't think about the people living in the apartment building they just launched a spacepig through.

I'm not that familiar with Daredevil.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well I mean action movies all end with the protag beating up a buncha guys and winning

journey not destination and all that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why didn't Ripley try TALKING to the alien queen

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe I'm getting burned out.

In the latest Die Hard movie, John MacLean literally drives his big rear end vehicle on top of a little one in front of him and runs over an old woman's head, and he just leans out his window and says something like, "Sorry, lady!"

She's loving dead.

You just murdered her.

Sigh.

Alaois posted:

why didn't Ripley try TALKING to the alien queen

The Alien xenomorph or whatever it's called is obviously a very different creature than the aliens from The Avengers. It doesn't have culture or diplomacy or anything. It's just a bug from outer space. The Avengers aliens had a plan, they could communicate.

Ah, I'm just tired of innocent people dying in movies and it being completely ignored, or at best referenced by a hyuk hyuk one-liner.

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 5, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

credburn posted:

I guess what annoys me is the inconsistencies. It's not that Thor is ALWAYS invulnerable, it's that he USUALLY is. I have SEEN various Superheroes get their clothes shredded, or whatever, but I've also seen them receive the same treatment in other scenes with no consequence. I know that these are Marvel superhero comics and it's largely inconsequential because it's all set up to be a money making machine so they can't actually die, but at least provide me with some kind of fear of great consequences.

But they fail at that, too. In many Superhero movies, they destroy buildings and bridges and cars blow up and though you don't see it, you have to imagine that hundreds or even thousands of innocent people are getting killed because superheroes can't handle things diplomatically. I think in The Avengers (it's been a long time, so forgive me if I'm a little off) there were some aliens that wanted to, I don't know, take control of New York or something, but the superheroes wouldn't let them. Then they proceed to annihilate New York. So, I'm thinking, if you had just made some kind of arrangement with the aliens, maybe a thousand innocent people wouldn't have gotten killed in the battle. That gets me thinking that, if their own lives aren't what I should be worried about, then it's their mission, which is, I guess, to protect people? But they're loving responsible for so much death. So...so...that would be FINE if they were the bad guys, and I was rooting for the bad guys or something. But they're not. They're just powerful gods who don't think about the people living in the apartment building they just launched a spacepig through.

This line of thinking is literally the plot of Civil War, i.e. the latest big marvel movie. You are supposed to care about the lives of people who aren't the superheroes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but, like, do you think a hawker from Harlem would immediately know who you're talking about if you mention Rosie the Riveter?

If her whole deal was riveting Nazis in the face as part of a huge ad campaign and then she came back to life suddenly, yeah, probably.

E:. Which is a spin-off I'd watch.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Oct 5, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Canemacar posted:

They actually have that happen in an early episode and afterwards she talked to him and told him that she didn't want him coming in whenever she it looks like she's in trouble because she wants people to know that she can handle things on her own and isn't just a stopgap until Superman shows up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

credburn posted:

I think in The Avengers (it's been a long time, so forgive me if I'm a little off) there were some aliens that wanted to, I don't know, take control of New York or something, but the superheroes wouldn't let them. Then they proceed to annihilate New York. So, I'm thinking, if you had just made some kind of arrangement with the aliens, maybe a thousand innocent people wouldn't have gotten killed in the battle.

loving LOL. "Just surrender to the aliens who want to take over the planet, you'd save so many lives!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

credburn posted:

The Alien xenomorph or whatever it's called is obviously a very different creature than the aliens from The Avengers. It doesn't have culture or diplomacy or anything. It's just a bug from outer space. The Avengers aliens had a plan, they could communicate.

How could they cut the power? They're just bugs, man!

KoB
May 1, 2009

credburn posted:

Thor and Cap struggle the same amount in movies because theyre both super hero leads and both have to struggle yet come out on top because its an action movie, so the badguys are on a different scale for each. Cap fights a bunch of normal dudes with guns and a guy with a robo arm while Thor fights giant robots and literal magical elves with black hole grenades and poo poo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wait, are you telling me these movies based entirely on wish fulfillment and merchandising opportunities are flawed?! This is definitely a completely new critique and I, for one, thank credburn for their unique and powerful insights into this matter.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Kind of dragging back NameChat, but everyone should be calling Thor by 'Thor' because he's existed as a Norse God in the public consciousness for centuries. Big blonde OK he should be a redhead I knowdude with a magic hammer that summons lightning? Not a big leap for most people to figure out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Stayne Falls posted:

Kind of dragging back NameChat, but everyone should be calling Thor by 'Thor' because he's existed as a Norse God in the public consciousness for centuries. Big blonde OK he should be a redhead I knowdude with a magic hammer that summons lightning? Not a big leap for most people to figure out.

Thor (and Norse myth in general) is only well-known in the public consciousness because of Marvel making him a superhero. Thor was actually chosen because Stan Lee figured people were too familiar with the Greek gods and he wanted something more obscure.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Catching up on Season 2 of The Flash.
Captain Cold froze some laser beams solid with his cold gun, then broke them into little ice pieces.
It was the first time the bad science made me laugh out loud.
The Arrow is bad about computer gibberish, but this, this was just ridiculous and hilarious.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That show is full of piss-you-off moments. The flash gets pepper sprayed by a person he's not unaware of.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Catching up on Season 2 of The Flash.
Captain Cold froze some laser beams solid with his cold gun, then broke them into little ice pieces.
It was the first time the bad science made me laugh out loud.
The Arrow is bad about computer gibberish, but this, this was just ridiculous and hilarious.

That's the sole reason I kind of love the show. It doesn't seem to take itself seriously and goes all out with the cheesiness. I've had this discussion before, and my thinking is the goofiness of it all is perfect for a show that's about pretty much the most overpowered superhero. It doesn't let itself be bogged down by silly things like common sense and logic, and sure, the stories are all kind of clichéd and lame, but somehow it works for me.

I mean, logically the Flash can handle any situation, so Barry and his team have to be dumb as gently caress to have any suspense whatsoever.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Thor (and Norse myth in general) is only well-known in the public consciousness because of Marvel making him a superhero. Thor was actually chosen because Stan Lee figured people were too familiar with the Greek gods and he wanted something more obscure.

gently caress you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

That is one of the many problems with that show.

That's exactly why the old Justice League cartoon scaled everyone's power down to more reasonable levels. Superman was still super strong and invulnerable, but a lot of the dudes they fought could still punch him real hard and keep him busy because he wasn't literally invincible. Though in half the episodes they did cheat and just have someone zap him with a magic laser.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Taeke posted:

That's the sole reason I kind of love the show. It doesn't seem to take itself seriously and goes all out with the cheesiness. I've had this discussion before, and my thinking is the goofiness of it all is perfect for a show that's about pretty much the most overpowered superhero. It doesn't let itself be bogged down by silly things like common sense and logic, and sure, the stories are all kind of clichéd and lame, but somehow it works for me.

I mean, logically the Flash can handle any situation, so Barry and his team have to be dumb as gently caress to have any suspense whatsoever.

I'm still watching it and enjoying it. It's just pretty bad sometimes.

And, yeah, Barry should be the most powerful person on the planet. Punching anyone while running 700 mph would obliterate them and his heightened thinking and reaction speeds means nobody should ever be able to sneak up on him.

When I want something more logical, I watch Agents of SHIELD. Although even they have ghosts and flaming hell skulls this year.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Does anyone ever actually call him Hawkeye in the Marvel films? I'm sure someone must do at some point but I only remember them calling him Clint, or "arrow guy". :v:

I think he's called Hawkeye once or twice, and in The Avengers, when Coulson is talking to Romanoff, you can see their file on his computer and it lists his codename as Hawkeye and hers as Black Widow.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

heightened thinking and reaction speeds

That's something that annoyed me about whatever the Dean Cain Superman series was called, at some point he reads a book in a fraction of second. Okay sure Superman can flip through each page that quick but then he talks about the book as if he has super-comprehension, super-reading speed, and super-thinking speed. It's one thing for someone to be able to run extra fast but then they can also read a book in 1 second and understand everything they just read, that makes that version of Superman even more stupid to be a reporter - how about be anything at all since you can apparently remember everything you read from a book that you just spent half a second reading, save humanity with super-brain power instead. So The Flash should surely put his Flash brain to use as well

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Both VPs are middle aged-white dads. The Hulk is an unstoppable green atomic monster who destroys buildings.

Does he have a MySpace? When was the last time he attended a NASCAR race?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aleph Null posted:

I'm still watching it and enjoying it. It's just pretty bad sometimes.

And, yeah, Barry should be the most powerful person on the planet. Punching anyone while running 700 mph would obliterate them and his heightened thinking and reaction speeds means nobody should ever be able to sneak up on him.

When I want something more logical, I watch Agents of SHIELD. Although even they have ghosts and flaming hell skulls this year.

Season two just gets worse as it goes along. Get ready for massive leaps of logic and moments when Barry practically forgets he has super speed just so a villain of the week can pose a threat.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

donquixotic posted:

That's something that annoyed me about whatever the Dean Cain Superman series was called, at some point he reads a book in a fraction of second. Okay sure Superman can flip through each page that quick but then he talks about the book as if he has super-comprehension, super-reading speed, and super-thinking speed. It's one thing for someone to be able to run extra fast but then they can also read a book in 1 second and understand everything they just read, that makes that version of Superman even more stupid to be a reporter - how about be anything at all since you can apparently remember everything you read from a book that you just spent half a second reading, save humanity with super-brain power instead. So The Flash should surely put his Flash brain to use as well

Just because you read something doesn't mean you understand or can apply it.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Thanks for the demonstration.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

credburn posted:

In many Superhero movies, they destroy buildings and bridges and cars blow up and though you don't see it, you have to imagine that hundreds or even thousands of innocent people are getting killed because superheroes can't handle things diplomatically.
That's a pretty major part of the setting for Daredevil.

donquixotic posted:

It's one thing for someone to be able to run extra fast but then they can also read a book in 1 second and understand everything they just read, that makes that version of Superman even more stupid to be a reporter - how about be anything at all since you can apparently remember everything you read from a book that you just spent half a second reading, save humanity with super-brain power instead. So The Flash should surely put his Flash brain to use as well
I think the Flash did this in one episode but he couldn't retain the information long-term? I guess like he studied for a test and then forgot everything right afterwards.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiggum posted:

That's a pretty major part of the setting for Daredevil.

And the entire reason behind Civil War.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
And Batman v. Superman :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really dig The Flash (well, at least season one - haven't caught up yet) but holy hell I wish there was less weird incest crap between Barry and his adoptive sister. I know that according to the comics they end up married but that is weird and awkward as poo poo, especially because Dr. Snow is such a drop dead gorgeous bombshell, seems to have more than a passing interest in Barry, and, you know, isn't his sister.

Geoff Johns is a creepy motherfucker.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just saw pet sematary for the first time. It was hilarious. That cat constantly owning him. He throws a rag doll down a hallway that's supposed to be his son. What a goofy movie. Fred Gwynne is a delight.

My irrationally irritating thing is the spelling. It adds nothing to have the book/movie title itself all lemonade-stand'ed up and it makes me look like an rear end in a top hat because even trying to spell it right wrong I get it wrong. I want to punch stephen king for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It's all worth it for the 18 wheeler scene, though.