Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

VendaGoat posted:

Funny thing that. On the questionnaire, to get a reservation on the discoverwestworld site, there was one about; If you made a perfect copy of your body and filled the mind of the copy with all of your memories and experiences, would this be considered "you"?
It seems like they're gearing up to explore all that sort of stuff. I'm super excited because I spend all my time thinking about that poo poo instead of being productive. I'm glad there seem to be a bunch of more philosophical shows on lately.

mikeraskol posted:

You can't be serious.

It seems to be pretty polarizing I guess, with the majority liking it maybe, but I might be biased because I really really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Phi230 posted:

And so it begins

It's only the first episode, we have not yet begun to see the backlash. But so far we've only seen maybe two or three people in this thread complaining about the show at all which is usually a good sign.

mikeraskol posted:

You can't be serious.

It reminded me of AHS: Freak Show and nobody should ever be reminded of Freak Show. Other than that I wasn't bothered by the anachronistic music.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Torquemada posted:

I will keep watching this, despite Simon Quarterman being the very worst actor I have ever seen in any medium. The Borgen woman was barely adequate, but she was fortunately paired with the turd in the punch bowl for all her appearances, so she sucked less by default. How these two got into the cast, the rest of whom range from serviceable to good, is beyond me. I also found the western-style modern music intrusive and unoriginal.

Is this serious?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Megaspel posted:

It seems like they're gearing up to explore all that sort of stuff. I'm super excited because I spend all my time thinking about that poo poo instead of being productive. I'm glad there seem to be a bunch of more philosophical shows on lately.

:agreed:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VendaGoat posted:

Funny thing that. On the questionnaire, to get a reservation on the discoverwestworld site, there was one about; If you made a perfect copy of your body and filled the mind of the copy with all of your memories and experiences, would this be considered "you"?

This taken with the legalese line about "you authorize delos to collect any blood samples, etc. and use them for whatever purpose they see fit" makes it sound like they're creating robotic clones of the people who visit and using them as future hosts, or at least partial inspiration for hosts. (would be pretty odd to run into yourself in westworld!)

We're gonna find out there's some kind of Evangelion horror at the root of all this, like even though they're constructed robots, they still have human brains or something. :ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

VendaGoat posted:

Alright, that's got me back to thinking that Man in Black really is Brynner's character from the movie. He could be a super-rich patron, maybe a dying man, who had his memories and personality uploaded into a host so that he could live forever in Westworld and do whatever he wants without consequence. But now he's gotten bored and is trying to dig deeper into the world itself. The inability for other hosts to harm him could be part of the contract or whatever when he had himself transferred into a host body.

That'd be a pretty interesting take on that character, like rather than just a "malfunctioning" robot he's the ghost in the machine (or the ghost in the shell for you anime types).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

meristem posted:

I still slightly can't get over how flies are apparently natural, but ants and mosquitos apparently aren't.

Maybe that's a deliberate decision.

It's natural for humans to wave away flies, or swat them. Now, imagine that the hosts have been programmed with the same instinct, but their "Good Samaritan™ reflex" programming forbids them from hurting life. So it's a very easy test for the staff behind the scenes to watch out for a host starting to break down if they see one walking down a street waving their hands in front of their face to shoo away the flies.

Woden
May 6, 2006

meristem posted:

One more possible location could be some sort of an O'Neill cylinder. Weren't some of those designs called 'islands' as well?

Either way, if there's some extensive superstructure involved (a dome or a cover; whether in space or underwater), we haven't (yet) seen anyone responsible for maintaining it. And there probably would be someone. So it probably is just a converted isolated location.

I still slightly can't get over how flies are apparently natural, but ants and mosquitos apparently aren't.

Ants and mosquitoes might not exist at all in Westworld, I don't remember seeing any.

In any case I'm pretty sure that's just there so you get what Dolores swatting the fly at the end means.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

This taken with the legalese line about "you authorize delos to collect any blood samples, etc. and use them for whatever purpose they see fit" makes it sound like they're creating robotic clones of the people who visit and using them as future hosts, or at least partial inspiration for hosts. (would be pretty odd to run into yourself in westworld!)

We're gonna find out there's some kind of Evangelion horror at the root of all this, like even though they're constructed robots, they still have human brains or something. :ohdear:

Oh you can add this to your hypothesis as well.

Terms Of Service posted:

(c) Please act responsibly while a guest at the Mesa Gold resort and while utilizing the Mesa Bar. Please be mindful of other guests, families, and children. Please note that while utilizing the Mesa Bar, you may interact with Delos, Inc. employees; any ideas pitched to Delos, Inc. employees automatically become the property of Delos, Inc., in perpetuity. Also, any mention of human-on-human crime admitted to a Delos, Inc. employee must be brought to the attention of Delos, Inc., and if falling within the laws of the Territory, may have to be reported to local authorities.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

nooneofconsequence posted:

It literally says decompression chamber:

The term is most likely used figuratively. It's implied, and others above have theorized, that part of your vacation package includes a stay at the Gold Mesa (that one 3 million quote someone posted had the Deluxe Suite I think) to decompress and potentially get psychological counseling/feedback. Considering how over-the-top Delos is, it's probably the sweetest hotel on the planet (whichever planet that ever ends up being) with its own frenzied hospitality staff working around the clock. Like, while Anthony Hopkins is going through his 'God with an Existentialist Crisis' thing and living robots are going haywire in Westworld, there's a whole other show about the Gold Mesa's head chef preparing for the big Investor's Banquet or whaever

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

tin can made man posted:

The term is most likely used figuratively. It's implied, and others above have theorized, that part of your vacation package includes a stay at the Gold Mesa (that one 3 million quote someone posted had the Deluxe Suite I think) to decompress and potentially get psychological counseling/feedback. Considering how over-the-top Delos is, it's probably the sweetest hotel on the planet (whichever planet that ever ends up being) with its own frenzied hospitality staff working around the clock. Like, while Anthony Hopkins is going through his 'God with an Existentialist Crisis' thing and living robots are going haywire in Westworld, there's a whole other show about the Gold Mesa's head chef preparing for the big Investor's Banquet or whaever

Yah, that deluxe suite was the mid tier option. I didn't go whole hog on my exit week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Being called Gold Mesa, what if the decompression hotel is on top of the huge plateau? And then the control center is under it, inside the plateau, and the rest of westworld is around it.

Although then if you go to medievalworld is there a different decompression hotel for that, or do you get shipped to gold mesa too? Maybe grasping at straws here.

tin can made man posted:

It's implied, and others above have theorized, that part of your vacation package includes a stay at the Gold Mesa

I'm pretty sure the website told me that straight out, not even implied. Its a necessary thing after how hardcore westworld can be.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

I think this + "Mesa Gold" + release of all bodily fluids means something about the master plan but I can't think of anything plausible besides having more hosts to work with

efb

Wrt the Evangelion thing, I am decently sure Dolores has the "soul" of Ford's daughter/Gunslinger's wife.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2016

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlĂƒÂ¤ser
The music I did find intrusive; maybe 'unoriginal' was the wrong word though. I meant I've seen too many instances of 'famous modern song hosed around with look how cool I am to think of that', maybe: Battlestar Galactica did it, most of the music in Bioshock Infinite is waltz or music hall versions of pop songs, 'Cat People in Inglourious Basterds' (among a million others in QT movies). I didn't mean the execution of the music itself, but the insertion of anachronistic music in the first place. Simon Quarterman was, in point of fact, terrible.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Torquemada posted:

The music I did find intrusive; maybe 'unoriginal' was the wrong word though. I meant I've seen too many instances of 'famous modern song hosed around with look how cool I am to think of that', maybe: Battlestar Galactica did it, most of the music in Bioshock Infinite is waltz or music hall versions of pop songs, 'Cat People in Inglourious Basterds' (among a million others in QT movies). I didn't mean the execution of the music itself, but the insertion of anachronistic music in the first place. Simon Quarterman was, in point of fact, terrible.

I agree, especially now that video games have done this already, but then I thought spoiled video game nerds would be one of the park's primary audiences.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I guess this is going to be the kind of TVIV thread where it is best to stop following it on Tuesday and pick it up again after airtime on Sunday?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure where you are getting this. They say Dolores is their oldest Host, having been upgraded and repaired for 30 years, but that doesn't mean she's the center of attention the whole time. In fact it seems if no one interferes she'll often die early on with her father and boyfriend.

Their website says she is their most popular attraction. There is only one Dolores, why? There is no way one model can satisfy demand. Or if they get seriously damaged and need lots of repair time, what do they do with a popular host like Dolores? Tell guests that they should try out a night with Stinky Pete instead?

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

withak posted:

So I guess this is going to be the kind of TVIV thread where it is best to stop following it on Tuesday and pick it up again after airtime on Sunday?

If by that you mean like 100% of all threads in TVIV then yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

withak posted:

Its HBO's game of thrones replacement so yes.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

How many episodes do you think it will be before somebody dual-wields a pair of revolvers?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Torquemada posted:

But this is a case where it's intentionally "intrusive". It's MEANT to be anachronistic, to underline the point of it all being just a "game", not an actual reproduction of the time. It's supposed to stand out, to show that things are artifical and that something isn't quite right.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LinkesAuge posted:

But this is a case where it's intentionally "intrusive". It's MEANT to be anachronistic, to underline the point of it all being just a "game", not an actual reproduction of the time. It's supposed to stand out, to show that things are artifical and that something isn't quite right.

This doesn't look like anything to me.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

LinkesAuge posted:

It's distracting and intrusive, just like the scenes inside the headquarters. Why are there scifi elements in my western? I've seen too many instances of 'inserting science fiction in western stories look how cool I am to think of that', maybe: Firefly did it, most shows since Star Trek did it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

Its HBO's game of thrones replacement so yes.

I stopped watching that trainwreck but this show has potential right? I mean more seasons or it will be self contained?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrong forum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Call Your Grandma posted:

How many episodes do you think it will be before somebody dual-wields a pair of revolvers?

I wonder if you have to pay extra for no recoil guns to do this or if they just have normal recoil and the squib packs blow even if you're off by a mile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

Their website says she is their most popular attraction. There is only one Dolores, why? There is no way one model can satisfy demand. Or if they get seriously damaged and need lots of repair time, what do they do with a popular host like Dolores? Tell guests that they should try out a night with Stinky Pete instead?

We already saw this happen with Dolores' father. They just put another host in that person's place, copy over their programming and they fulfill the exact same role and say the same things. Their appearance changes and that's it. People who hadn't already done something with Dolores wouldn't even realize she was changed, and people who had would probably want to try something new anyways.

Man in black is an exception though, since he seems to visit Dolores in particular every time he goes there. But it could be that one time he signed up and they just told him "oh hey, your favorite model is being repaired, we have somebody else in Dolores' position right now" and he was like "okay I'll come next week instead" or he decided to go fight Native Americans that week or something.

Mike the TV posted:

It's distracting and intrusive, just like the scenes inside the headquarters. Why are there scifi elements in my western? I've seen too many instances of 'inserting science fiction in western stories look how cool I am to think of that', maybe: Firefly did it, most shows since Star Trek did it.

This probably isn't the show for you then...

Its more sci-fi than western, even though it has a western setting. We're only going to get more of the robotic science and philosophy, not less.

I really like the mix though, the contrast. And its not paced at ALL like firefly, so... so what? What do you mean 'most shows' ? There's not really many other than Firefly, other than like ONE holodeck episode of star trek or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

:lol:

Hey if you're an invincible human in a world of robots who have to let you have whatever power fantasy you want, go for it. It was a problem in GOT because of who Arthur Dayne was. If he was a manchild in a theme park, that'd make perfect sense.

I'm kinda surprised that the one guy who shot the man in black through the neck wasn't firing off two pistols into the sky like Yosemite Sam.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I wonder if HBO uses the same team to create all of their opening credits now. The last few shows I've watched, or at least seen the credits to, have been amazing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Phi230 posted:

But why does it have to be domed? There are plenty of ways to get people to stay away from your property.

You would have to dome it (or otherwise enclose it, underwater or underground or something) just to ensure that random bugs and birds and junk don't get inside (as the EULA posted earlier claims).

Well, unless the whole thing is a space station rotating fast enough to simulate gravity via centrifugal force. :tinfoil:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
THEY STEAL YOUR JIZZ IF YOU gently caress A HOOKER IN WESTWORLD

OMG

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lifts cats over head posted:

I wonder if HBO uses the same team to create all of their opening credits now. The last few shows I've watched, or at least seen the credits to, have been amazing.

yes

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if you have to pay extra for no recoil guns to do this or if they just have normal recoil and the squib packs blow even if you're off by a mile.

No squibs. The guns fire projectiles. There was a hole in the A GROWIN BOY robot

Also did anyone listen to his rant? He literally realized that he dies everday. He says "why I always gotta die"

And

"Im not the one dyin this time"

Super dangerous

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

You would have to dome it (or otherwise enclose it, underwater or underground or something) just to ensure that random bugs and birds and junk don't get inside (as the EULA posted earlier claims).

Well, unless the whole thing is a space station rotating fast enough to simulate gravity via centrifugal force. :tinfoil:

If it really is an island, especially in the pacific, Im positive no anachronistic or unfitting creatures would show up

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

:lol:

Hey if you're an invincible human in a world of robots who have to let you have whatever power fantasy you want, go for it. It was a problem in GOT because of who Arthur Dayne was. If he was a manchild in a theme park, that'd make perfect sense.

I'm kinda surprised that the one guy who shot the man in black through the neck wasn't firing off two pistols into the sky like Yosemite Sam.

If I was a furry could I go live in Westworld and roleplay as Wile E Coyote except kill in gruesome ways??

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Phi230 posted:

If I was a furry could I go live in Westworld and roleplay as Wile E Coyote except kill in gruesome ways??

Brother if you got the money these people are charging, you could actually catch that pesky roadrunner and have him suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, willingly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

Brother if you got the money these people are charging, you could actually catch that pesky roadrunner and have him suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, willingly.

This raises a question. If you could, would you actually go to westworld? Could you handle playing out your power fantasies?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Westworld id waste all my money on alcohol and prostitutes. Much like in real life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

loving lol, holy poo poo

Phi230 posted:

This raises a question. If you could, would you actually go to westworld? Could you handle playing out your power fantasies?

If I could afford it, I definitely would go. The question is what would I do when I get there. I'd probably be too uncomfortable with most of the nasty stuff and just roleplay a friendly sheriff or something :smith: I'd definitely get drunk as gently caress and have fun gambling while drunk and enjoy somehow winning even though I'm tanked.

Taking part in Cowboys and Native Americans would be pretty tempting, but I'd probably have to actually read up on everything about how Delos' worked before I felt super comfortable with murdering hosts. And they probably keep lots of information about the nature of the hosts confidential, which is concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

In Westworld id waste all my money on alcohol and prostitutes. Much like in real life.

Yeah this is a no brainer, hey where's the opium den

• Locked thread