Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Even the mouse droid, the last hunk of metal you'd ever suspect of sentience, is clearly scared of a roaring wookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It gets pretty dark when you realize the droid army in the prequels are slaves forced to fight against their will. As is the clone army.

The droid control ship is the only person, it just expresses itself through many split personalities in the thousands of battle droid shells it operates, in the same way humans control their digits. Once the Empire started building the death star they realized this big person just needed a gun of their own, screw the tiny extensions. It's really just one big legion-slave.

The clone army is given the choice to go off-world and study literature or whatnot at a young age, to weed out the unsuitable warriors. But since they're all little Jangos they all choose to fight because they love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Droids are not people. Lucas is a show and tell director. Not an infer director. At no time is the concept of droids being people addressed in the films. This is something I have literally only seen on the something awful forums cine d discussion star wars millennial trash discussion station.

The reason its not discussed outside of these forums is because its so incredibly obvious that most people don't waste time discussing it. Its only on internet forums that you can find idiots who will try to argue against it despite literally hundreds of examples in the movies to the contrary that show up about every five minutes. This is a concept that 6 year olds seem to understand pretty easily.

There is nothing to infer, the droids are what they are. Its all very clear and right there on the surface, there's no interpretation necessary.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

The droid control ship is the only person, it just expresses itself through many split personalities in the thousands of battle droid shells it operates, in the same way humans control their digits. Once the Empire started building the death star they realized this big person just needed a gun of their own, screw the tiny extensions. It's really just one big legion-slave.

The clone army is given the choice to go off-world and study literature or whatnot at a young age, to weed out the unsuitable warriors. But since they're all little Jangos they all choose to fight because they love it.

actually clone troopers don't choose to fight, they have no free will.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zoran posted:

Cnut, what's your take on Obi-Wan hiding Vader's true identity from Luke?

I think there's some undeniable moral ambiguity in it, as there is whenever the truth is intentionally withheld or abridged, but his reasons for doing so were very understandable and to say that he's a bad person because of it is going a bit overboard.

Also, interestingly, deleted dialogue with Yoda in ROTJ (which was actually filmed) reveals that Obi-Wan actually wanted to tell Luke the truth long ago, but Yoda wouldn't let him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5sQbEklngA

This dialogue was cut of course, and we don't know the exact reason, but it certainly adds fuel to the discussion.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Cnut the Great posted:

I think there's some undeniable moral ambiguity in it, as there is whenever the truth is intentionally withheld or abridged, but his reasons for doing so were very understandable and to say that he's a bad person because of it is going a bit overboard.

Also, interestingly, deleted dialogue with Yoda in ROTJ (which was actually filmed) reveals that Obi-Wan actually wanted to tell Luke the truth long ago, but Yoda wouldn't let him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5sQbEklngA

This dialogue was cut of course, and we don't know the exact reason, but it certainly adds fuel to the discussion.

It's kind of interesting because yoda trying to keep the truth away from luke harkens back to the prequels and the folly of the Jedi. In essence Yoda was sorta using Luke as an agent of revenge on the sith (hence the original title of the movie being REVENGE of the Jedi before it was changed). He didn't want Luke to feel compassion for his father and instead wanted him to stay on Dagobah to become more powerful to eventually fight vader to the death and win without even knowing who vader really was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

The droid control ship is the only person, it just expresses itself through many split personalities in the thousands of battle droid shells it operates, in the same way humans control their digits.

People said this about the Borg too, and yet...

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

...and I just realized that was a reference to the Garden of Eden.

It's also more directly related to the idea of him being like a newborn baby or an innocent child (central motifs of TPM), but of course that's the reason the Garden of Eden myth is the way it is anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is the death star a person? Why or why not? Is the Falcon? Han talks to it, so it is.

Is Luke's saber training bot a person? What about the helmet he was wearing; what if it was talking to him in his ear and we didn't know?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Is the death star a person? Why or why not? Is the Falcon? Han talks to it, so it is.

Is Luke's saber training bot a person? What about the helmet he was wearing; what if it was talking to him in his ear and we didn't know?

Do you wanna build a strawmaaaaan

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's not how movies work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Is the death star a person? Why or why not?

Yes, R2 has a conversation with it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

The reason its not discussed outside of these forums is because its so incredibly obvious that most people don't waste time discussing it. Its only on internet forums that you can find idiots who will try to argue against it despite literally hundreds of examples in the movies to the contrary that show up about every five minutes. This is a concept that 6 year olds seem to understand pretty easily.

There is nothing to infer, the droids are what they are. Its all very clear and right there on the surface, there's no interpretation necessary.

This is unfortunately the case with a lot of things, like the films taking their aesthetic from classic A-, B-, and Z-grade sci-fi/horror.

The vast majority of people don't need to be told that the stylized sets were deliberately stylized, and they consequently don't get really weird ideas about how CGI works. They just say "I don't like old movies" and go on with their lives.

Don't let the Internet make you stupid.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Is this supposed to be an insult?

5 pages ago but yes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait so...if droids are people...and we see anakin building threepio...does that mean, like, anakin is god? Vader...father...it all makes sense. God is a whiny teen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wait so...if droids are people...and we see anakin building threepio...does that mean, like, anakin is god? Vader...father...it all makes sense. God is a whiny teen.

Its hilarious that when you're trying to make sarcastic jokes you actually get a lot closer to the truth.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yes, that is the basic premise of the films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

We get it. You don't like Star Wars. But you liking Star Wars never had anything to do with it. The contention here is your ability to comprehend basic metaphor, which you sabotage yourself from having because you consider whether you value that particular metaphor personally paramount.

But nobody gives a poo poo about you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even Tezzor understands this.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Remember that the moral climax of Return of the Jedi comes when Luke learns to not only empathize with the machine-like man who is his father Anakin Skywalker, but also to empathize with the man-like machine who is the hateful villain Darth Vader.

George Lucas posted:

Star Wars is made up of many themes. It's not just one little simple parable. One is our relationship to machines, which are fearful, but also benign.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,23298-2,00.html

So obviously, when Anakin finally achieves balance within himself in ROTJ, it isn't because he rejects the technological part of himself as being completely evil. Not only does that contradict what the movies themselves tell us about technology and about machines, it also explicitly contradicts the creator's stated philosophy.

I can't find it right now, but I recall Lucas actually points out on one of the DVD commentaries that there's a misconception that the Star Wars movies are anti-technology, which he says is nonsensical given the integral role technology played in making the films themselves possible.

The idea is basically just that you want to retain the human element somewhere, whatever that means. You don't want to end up with "machines making machines." And the most explicit mouthpiece of that viewpoint in the films is of course C-3PO, the most human-like machine in the series.

All this commentary of course ended up in the film completely by accident while Lucas was busy sitting in a chair staring at an evil, evil television monitor with no soul.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Even Tezzor understands this.

Tezzor understands many things about film. It comes out in the more straightforward posts. It's just really too bad that the understanding is a sideshow for the moebius bilestrip of prequel hatred.

Serf
May 5, 2011

People sarcastically understanding Star Wars is my new favorite thing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I even think some of the blasters may be people tbh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anakin being god though is a really really dumb thing tbh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Dude's already Jesus, it fits.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Droids are not people. Lucas is a show and tell director. Not an infer director. At no time is the concept of droids being people addressed in the films. This is something I have literally only seen on the something awful forums cine d discussion star wars millennial trash discussion station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUy1z-mnoIU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

He's a demigod, like many, many mythological heroes throughout history. Why is it dumb in Star Wars but not dumb in the Iliad and the Odyssey? I just don't get it. They're all the same kind of epic, mythological story being told. God has been a major character in the Star Wars story from the very get-go, so it's not like elements like these just came completely out of left field or something.

edit: Yeah I'm using the term "demigod" loosely. A lot of mythological heroes were simply closely descended from demigods and weren't strictly demigods themselves (much like Luke!), but it's basically the same idea, or at least serves the same narrative purpose.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 5, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

There was even a prophecy about Anakin. Visions of the future, in the films, are cloudy and visual/emotional, while the prophecy was a clearly-worded statement, a classic "oracular gotcha" formula.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
If a hydrospanner identifies as trans-droid does it get its own bathroom?

Serf
May 5, 2011

High Lord Elbow posted:

If a hydrospanner identifies as trans-droid does it get its own bathroom?

Your clumsy transphobic joke makes no sense :frogout:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"God hates droids." - a not wrong space fundie

quote:

Tezzor understands many things about film. It comes out in the more straightforward posts. It's just really too bad that the understanding is a sideshow for the moebius bilestrip of prequel hatred.

Tezzor Still Right, Still Insane

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
So apparently the hip new conspiracy theory is that Disney is paying people on the Internet to write articles defending the prequels and that's why they're undergoing kind of a critical re-evaluation? Makes sense to me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cnut the Great posted:

So apparently the hip new conspiracy theory is that Disney is paying people on the Internet to write articles defending the prequels and that's why they're undergoing kind of a critical re-evaluation? Makes sense to me.

Why do I never get in on this action? I want some sweet bribe money! :mad:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Cnut the Great posted:

Why do I get the feeling that this was just a joke in the new Plinkett review, but dumb fanboys are gonna take it seriously?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
"Cinema Discusso goons are mentally ill idiots." -- a guy who hates a trilogy of highly-successful space fantasy movies so much the only plausible explanation he can conjure up for them getting even the slightest amount of positive attention is a corporate conspiracy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cnut the Great posted:

Zoran posted:

Why do I never get in on this action? I want some sweet bribe money! :mad:

same.

Disney should make their own separate prequel trilogy after the sequel trilogy. I want to see the arguments it would cause.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Spacebump posted:

Disney should make their own separate prequel trilogy after the sequel trilogy. I want to see the arguments it would cause.

I'm totally on board with this. Love them or hate them, if you don't think the prequels should have been several orders of magnitude better for the money and talent poured into them , you need your head checked.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

I'm totally on board with this. Love them or hate them, if you don't think the prequels should have been several orders of magnitude better for the money and talent poured into them , you need your head checked.

Tell us about this "better" that you are imagining. They were incredibly innovative and created a much more complex scenario than MANS IN COOL ARMOR DO LASERS! PEW!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homullus posted:

Tell us about this "better" that you are imagining. They were incredibly innovative and created a much more complex scenario than MANS IN COOL ARMOR DO LASERS! PEW!

It would have Anakin as a knight in shining armor who becomes Vader after evil space magic invades his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Martman posted:

Luke talks to R2 just like he talks to other characters. At the very least this introduces us to the idea that Luke personally might see R2 as a person. Is there something in the movies that contradicts this?

[technicians haul R2's burned body out of Luke's X-Wing]
C-3PO: Oh Jesus, please save him, I'll donate my body
Technicians: We'll get to work on him
3PO: Master Luke-
Luke: [Walking off to get loaded] He'll be fine

• Locked thread