Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

deadly_pudding posted:

Surely he means down-rezzed versions. Kinda like how the Wii U and 3DS versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate were exactly the same game, with the same content, but one had lower-resolution assets.

The TransFar system, taken to it's ultimate conclusion ... yesss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Apparently Arlo the blue muppet did a review of Color Splash. Someone tell me how much he whines about it so I don't have to give him views

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadly_pudding posted:

Surely he means down-rezzed versions. Kinda like how the Wii U and 3DS versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate were exactly the same game, with the same content, but one had lower-resolution assets.

The way he phrased it, specifically saying "mobile version", "some version of the game" is kind of scary. It could imply that publishers will basically have to make two games, a full scale one for home use and some smaller mobile for on the go. But it's second hand, Boogie talked to some dudes, so hopefully it's just lower res assets like you say, and the message got a little garbled.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Stan Taylor posted:

There is a person named "boogie?"

Got to. This America, man.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The way he phrased it, specifically saying "mobile version", "some version of the game" is kind of scary. It could imply that publishers will basically have to make two games, a full scale one for home use and some smaller mobile for on the go. But it's second hand, Boogie talked to some dudes, so hopefully it's just lower res assets like you say, and the message got a little garbled.

He also mentions that the person he talked to said it "was a dream to code for", which doesn't sound like it's forcing developers to create two different games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
All NX games are programmed in a Mario Maker like editor.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

For every game they just give you the Mario Maker engine and you are expected to create all the levels yourself

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

elf help book posted:

All NX games are programmed in a Mario Maker like editor.

Slopes rip in peace

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Wii W

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm sorry, the NX is doomed, with this new report. Mario ain't got poo poo on this.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/voodoo-vince-remastered-announced-xbox-one-pc

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Apparently Arlo the blue muppet did a review of Color Splash. Someone tell me how much he whines about it so I don't have to give him views

Paper Mario HURTS ME

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Paper Mario Color Splash review embargo has been lifted, and the average is 80. Surprisingly high for a game no-one had faith in back when it was announced.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He also mentions that the person he talked to said it "was a dream to code for", which doesn't sound like it's forcing developers to create two different games.

That doesn't necessarily mean that though. Being easy to code on the console is nice, but doesn't change that you'd have a system that'd have 2 very different resolution/graphics structures available to them, which might necessitate different versions that we're talking about here. Being easier to code for can mean several things, from "allows us to do all sorts of tricks with the console" to something simple like "is not rear end-backwards to do ports for".

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

With a Paper Mario game (soon to be) released, it now means we can now finally lay the Wii U to rest. Bring on the NX.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

I'm sorry, the NX is doomed, with this new report. Mario ain't got poo poo on this.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/voodoo-vince-remastered-announced-xbox-one-pc

At first everyone is excited when Microsoft announces that they're selling one of their IP to Nintendo thinking it's going to be Banjo or something but then reality sets in when we find out they just traded for Blinx the Time Tabby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

He complains about a bunch of stuff he doesn't understand.

Like for instance you can't choose your target. The first card you do always attacks the front rank, the second card, the next rank, etc. If a card with multiple attacks beats the first rank, it continues to the next rank, and your subsequent cards shift which rank they target.

He thinks that's bullshit and he should be able to target whoever, when the encounters are clearly designed around placing the enemies in particular orders that makes you think which card you should use and in which order to avoid wasting them, like a puzzle, and how to get through without damage for bonus coins and a greater chance at items.

Also, unused cards you select to attack with, if you beat the enemies before using them, are gone. He sees this as a design flaw, while I would say it's penalizing a player rightly for wasting their cards.

A bunch of other whiny complaints about UI.

Basically he doesn't understand the game mechanics at all, he just knows they are different than a twelve year old game he worships.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont know anything about Arlo

when they say mobile version of a game maybe they literally mean that the handheld is Android and mobile devs will have a proper high end benchmark. the X1 chip would make sense then because it's comparable to the nvidia shield

would that mean the dock itself would have its own higher-end tech tho?? because now we're talking fuckin pricey as poo poo

like "it'd make more sense to sell these separate" pricey

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont know anything about Arlo

when they say mobile version of a game maybe they literally mean that the handheld is Android and mobile devs will have a proper high end benchmark. the X1 chip would make sense then because it's comparable to the nvidia shield

would that mean the dock itself would have its own higher-end tech tho?? because now we're talking fuckin pricey as poo poo

like "it'd make more sense to sell these separate" pricey

Talking strictly out of my rear end, I think Nintendo will probably try to cut costs by having a somewhat low-resolution screen on the unit itself. Like, better than a 3DS, but like not exactly a Retina display or anything, either. The unit will probably have the hardware to generate HD graphics, but only if you're plugged into some HDMI dock that outputs to an HD display.

Or, rather, that's how I would do it. I'm not whatever mad wizard Nintendo employs, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

their names are Kamek and Kammy and they prefer to be called magikoopas tyvm

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

greatn posted:

A bunch of other whiny complaints about UI.

Basically he doesn't understand the game mechanics at all, he just knows they are different than a twelve year old game he worships.

While I agree with you on the targeting, I think its a valid complaint on some of the UI. Having to select, fill color in the card, then flick it up does seem like an unnecessary waste of time. And sorting through your deck; Sticker Star showed you all of your stickers on separate pages and wasn't too tough to sort through them. In Color Splash it looks like rear end.

It seems to me he's got a good grasp on the Battle System otherwise.

The review was fine, he considered the game average. The game looks gorgeous and I'm genuinely excited to explore some of the levels so I'm ready for this Friday!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you folks are wondering how the NX can support a "mobile" version of it's fine titles, I've got two words for you: "LOD Models". Enjoy.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Is the NX out yet?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah flicking the cards is a bit annoying sometimes(you can change this to button controls if you want though), and scrolling through a bit lengthy, it's just not "devote more than a couple sentences" annoying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just heard from Allison Rapp she was going to reveal the NX but she got Nintendoxxed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

If you folks are wondering how the NX can support a "mobile" version of it's fine titles, I've got two words for you: "LOD Models". Enjoy.

What are those words

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when you're far away from an object the game uses a model with less polygons since you can't really tell the difference at a distance and then it loads high quality models close up

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you're wondering what the next line of amiibos will be I've got two words for you: "LOZ Models". Enjoy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

when you're far away from an object the game uses a model with less polygons since you can't really tell the difference at a distance and then it loads high quality models close up

Don't lots of games already do that?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't lots of games already do that?

All of them, really. That's the point--he was saying that's why it's probably not any more work to build the mobile versions if they keep the screen quality so low that those models would suffice.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

not to put words in her mouth but i think she's saying that game developers have never shied away from trying times and, truly, always have a "one-up" (:P) in their pocket for any situation. the old game dev motto, "Come What Play"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Reiley posted:

As long as the Ice Climbers can come back officially I'm fine with whatever.

Unless you can only load one Ice Climber for the mobile version then I'm kinda hesitant that like goes against the Ice Climber Creed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One controller for each Ice Climber, each controller looks like an Ice Climber, they climb up the side of the screen!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

just got back from a busy out of town weekend, havent read the 300+ posts, surely with that kind of volume the NX is out now right?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

just kidding i read them. also i got blocked by dan harmon for being mean to roiland on twitter, and it really wasnt mean as much as being vocal about him being kind of an edgelord shitbrain that dan harmon seems to have to spend a lot of time and energy apologizing for. i felt kind of bad about it because i like dan harmon even though he is kind of a manchild. roiland otoh is only funny when someone like harmon is like "no settle down, you dont make things funnier just by adding more edgy jokes about old men loving children"

anyway that is my twitter story about dan harmon and justin roiland. now that i have told it, the NX can be revealed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i go to dan harmon's twitter and im greeted with (((dan harmon)))

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dan harmon and justin roiland are just dumb nerds and have all the horrible flaws that come along with that, and good jokes sometimes

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

i go to dan harmon's twitter and im greeted with (((dan harmon)))

theres a lot of fuckin nazis on twitter and a lot of people like to show solidarity with people who are not nazis but good people, maybe some of whom are jewish, by putting their name in the echo thing :shrug:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boten Anna posted:

theres a lot of fuckin nazis on twitter and a lot of people like to show solidarity with people who are not nazis but good people, maybe some of whom are jewish, by putting their name in the echo thing :shrug:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/747822549069926400

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they still played D&D on Harmontown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

"is dril a nazi", the 2016 question more important than who wins the us presidential election

• Locked thread