Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Give me live action Hercules with James Woods reprising the role of Hades and I'm good. gently caress it bring back Danny DeVito too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I hope they're going to simultaneously release animated and live-action Moana

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I want live action Mulan just to see how they change it to pander to the modern Chinese government and film industry.

Gluten Freeman posted:

i loved that movie as a kid. do you know, i don't think i ever saw the animated version?

It's a pretty good tech demo for Xerox if nothing else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy Mann posted:

I want live action Mulan just to see how they change it to pander to the modern Chinese government and film industry.

It's set in ancient times, is not set in Tibet and is full of Chinese people, so probably not much.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Conversely, I expect at least 50% of the cast to be CG animals voiced by white actors to pander to American audiences. But at least we'll (probably) get to see the first Asian actress to star in a mainstream Hollywood film in more than 20 years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Squinty posted:

But at least we'll (probably) get to see the first Asian actress to star in a mainstream Hollywood film in more than 20 years.

This better not be a slight against The Spy Next Door.

Edit: Wait, you said "actress". Nevermind then, my bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would be pretty funny if there were a random tirade in the middle where Mulan talks about how horrible it would be if the Chinese government were to censor it's people and text books and internet hundreds of years in the future.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It would be pretty funny if there were a random tirade in the middle where Mulan talks about how horrible it would be if the Chinese government were to censor it's people and text books and internet hundreds of years in the future.
Sounds about as appropriate as the Doom comic suddenly making a statement about environmental pollution.

"Now I'm censored! That can't be good!"

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

This better not be a slight against The Spy Next Door.

Edit: Wait, you said "actress". Nevermind then, my bad.

Actually I did forget one - 2009's Street Fighter - The Legend of Chun-Li, starring Kristen Kreuk. But it's basically that, '93's Joy Luck Club, and '61's Flower Drum Song, as far as I know.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever count?

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Does Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever count?

Someone would have to watch it to find out, and I'm not that brave.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's too obvious, the real strategy is to release an animated version of Kundun just before they premiere live action Mulan in China.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Take all of the Disney films that have live action & animated segments, and reverse them. So the Three Caballero would have a live duck probably trying to beat the poo poo out of a rooster and a parrot. Animated women singing to regular ducks. How much of a mess would Fantasia be?

... Song of the South?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
There will be a live action Frozen before 2025, mark my words.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dirksteadfast posted:

There will be a live action Frozen before 2025, mark my words.

They could loving cast people named Anna and Elsa.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Modern cgi and audience expectations

Still won't save Mulan. It's really not a top tier Disney. I think any other 90s Disney would make more money. Yeah, hunchback, alladin, hell even Pocahontas would have the nature theme of jungle book.

I think you might be underestimating just how many girls from the 90's loved Mulan. I know I did, and I have a lot of friends who are pretty passionate about the movie as well. It's not a perfect, but it's much more fondly remembered than Pocahontas and Hunchback (but not Aladdin, I'll give you that). A live action remake has a lot of potential, and I hope they handle it well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think you might be underestimating just how many girls from the 90's loved Mulan. I know I did, and I have a lot of friends who are pretty passionate about the movie as well. It's not a perfect, but it's much more fondly remembered than Pocahontas and Hunchback (but not Aladdin, I'll give you that). A live action remake has a lot of potential, and I hope they handle it well.

Yeah, Mulan is actually pretty popular among girls growing up in that time frame. Now Pocahontas - that would be a bad idea, given it was suppose to be the A movie, but got way outshone by the "B" movie The Lion King and had a loooot of issues, including the hamfisted Romeo and Juilet plotline.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's the only Disney movie we were allowed to watch in Catholic school. I don't loving know.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Squinty posted:

Someone would have to watch it to find out, and I'm not that brave.

it's not that awful. it's basically a proto-Hardcore Henry: it's got a good concept, they just forgot to fill out the concept with anything other than explosions and shootouts.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also the first Hollywood movie actually set in Vancouver rather than just filmed there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's the most boring action movie ever. No one had fun during its filming.

Edit: Well, maybe the caterer and best boy had a great time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not sure what would cause more hilarious controversy; live action Disney's Hunchback or live action Aladdin.

I just saw a poster at a bus stop for the Aladdin Broadway show which will be playing here in Australia in 2017, I guess that's a kind of live action Aladdin?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Guy Mann posted:

Mulan: ♪Look at me... I will never pass for a perfect bride. Or a perfect daughter. Can it be, I'm not meant to play this part? Now I see, that if I were truly to be myself, I would break my family's heart. Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me? Why is my reflection someone I don't know? Somehow I cannot hide who I am, though I've tried. When will my reflection show who I am inside?♪
[Turns to face the camera]
Mulan: The South China Sea belongs to China.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just saw a poster at a bus stop for the Aladdin Broadway show which will be playing here in Australia in 2017, I guess that's a kind of live action Aladdin?

Disney produced a Hunchback musical as well, though it never made it to Broadway. Interestingly enough, the ending for the English version of said musical was much closer to the novel than the the film's.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Disney produced a Hunchback musical as well, though it never made it to Broadway. Interestingly enough, the ending for the English version of said musical was much closer to the novel than the the film's.

That's pretty interesting, especially since there're at least two live action films that get the ending completely wrong.

There's an old silent movie that at least gets most things right, like Esmeralda's origin, and that Quasi actually fights Esmeralda's friends at he end, not the soldiers.

I also own a children's book version of the book that includes all the details complete with hilariously dark illustrations.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 7, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, it kind of feels like Extruded Movie Product, honestly. Like the sort of thing you'd see as a movie-within-a-movie, complete with incredibly dumb name. Had a pretty solid GBA game, though!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Mierenneuker posted:

Whoever had the job of locking some PAs into a room and not letting them out until they'd folded 5,000 paper cranes each at least got a chuckle.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I like how they included some of the cut songs from the film in the musical, such as "Why Me?" to give Jafar a bit more backstory (if somewhat rewritten, since it's now really early in the film, around where he identifies Aladdin as the "diamond in the rought", instead of where "Prince Ali (Reprise)" got used).

Though I'm disappointed that they briefly used "Call Me a Princess" but then cut it from the final songlist. They even made the song make sense, too - Jasmine putting on a show of being a spoiled brat to drive away suitors - which I thought was really clever of them. Ah, well...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, The Secret Life of Pets is about to overtake Despicable Me 2's box office and become the 7th biggest animated film (domestic) of all time.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=animation.htm

It just overtook Deadpool and The Jungle Book to become the 3rd biggest film of 2016 so far.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 7, 2016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Secret Life of Pets was cute and good and had a sausage factory LSD freakout. What's not to love?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Reinanigans posted:

Secret Life of Pets was cute and good and had a sausage factory LSD freakout. What's not to love?

It almost completely passed under my radar, I'm just surprised that it's been such a massive runaway hit. It's going to do better than the Minions films and there was no escaping the Minions but I've seen pretty much nothing on SLoP.

Edit: he he he, 'SLoP'.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I might watch it one day but tbh I'm okay with not giving Illumination any of my money

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ballistics is like the only case of a video game tie in being massively superior to it's source, it's really weird.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every single adult I've discussed Disney with in the last few months has asked if I've seen Secret Life of Pets.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Hey, man, you see that Disney film that came out this year? The one featuring talking animals, which became their second-best-grossing film domestically only to Frozen!"
"Ah! You're talking about The Secret Life of Pets, right? Love that film!"
"N... no, this one had Jenny Slate in it, and-"
"Yeah, exactly! She was in Secret Life!"

I have more faith in the adults you've discussed Disney with than this, mind

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Robindaybird posted:

Ballistics is like the only case of a video game tie in being massively superior to it's source, it's really weird.

I believe it's not a typical tie-in. It was made based on a script, so the production on the game probably started before the movie was even greenlit.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 7, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

I believe it's not a typical tie-in. It was made based on a script, so the production on the game probably started before the movie was even greenlit.

The first game was like that, the sequel to it was directly based off the movie down to using Banderas and Liu's likenesses on the character select.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IIRC it was also the worse game between the two, though truthfully I didn't really get into FPS games until the GBA was already dead and buried, so I couldn't say how either holds up anymore.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Robindaybird posted:

There's also the case of the video game tie in for the Spy Hunter movie starring Dwayne Johnson, where the movie wound up never actually being made but the game was still released and has The Rock as the protagonist and on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That reminds me of Wheelman with Vin Diesel, another game where the movie never happened. That game was probably made during a time where he didn't think he would be in a Fast & Furious movie again.

• Locked thread