Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Having Medica II up at the phase transition to Brute Justice in A8N is an almost guaranteed way to wipe the raid.

I'm astounded you haven't ignored me already

And I've never had any problems with it. If new adds are coming out I just shroud and it's fine. :shrug: Maybe you keep getting lovely tanks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does shroud reduce enmity generated on existing HoTs (and DoTs)? It'd be the only ability that effects over time effects without recasting them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Does shroud reduce enmity generated on existing HoTs (and DoTs)? It'd be the only ability that effects over time effects without recasting them.

It doesn't affect spells, it affects you. It cuts your current enmity by half, regardless of where or when it's coming from.

Also, since I've come to think about it, which phase transition in brute justice normal happens without everyone taking some damage before the threat table is up? If it's not overhealing medica won't do poo poo for aggro, especially with shroud up.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, since it slashes your current enmity in half and enmity is linked directly to you. Dunno how it interacts with Luminiferous Aether though, since that's reduced generation instead of an enmity dump.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It has more to do with ping and how well your tanks can predict each other's actions. If they both go for the same add on the second wave, and the mt has to use provoke, then they have no way to deal with the extra agro and pointless overhealing during that phase transition. If they have their provoke up and ready to go, it won't help much if their ping makes the boss run out of melee range before their first attack. In both cases, dealing with the extra, pointless agro keeps the tank from contributing as much to the group DPS.

Some overhealing is fine, but if you intentionally overheal in situations like that, you are putting the rest of the party in a worse position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Yes, since it slashes your current enmity in half and enmity is linked directly to you. Dunno how it interacts with Luminiferous Aether though, since that's reduced generation instead of an enmity dump.

I only play SCH so I got those two cooldowns backwards, oops.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's impossible to overstate just how useful the aggro dropping with Shroud is. Obviously, you shouldn't be getting aggro anyway, but in lesser content, it's a godsend.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And I've never had any problems with it. If new adds are coming out I just shroud and it's fine. :shrug: Maybe you keep getting lovely tanks or something.

jesus, do people not pop shroud on cooldown

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tenik posted:

It has more to do with ping and how well your tanks can predict each other's actions. If they both go for the same add on the second wave, and the mt has to use provoke, then they have no way to deal with the extra agro and pointless overhealing during that phase transition. If they have their provoke up and ready to go, it won't help much if their ping makes the boss run out of melee range before their first attack. In both cases, dealing with the extra, pointless agro keeps the tank from contributing as much to the group DPS.

Some overhealing is fine, but if you intentionally overheal in situations like that, you are putting the rest of the party in a worse position.

Provoke isn't gonna do poo poo to medica 2 aggro if it's a problem.

Also I'm curious how you wipe the raid by making aggro funny for a second or two at the start of the two adds, which both are targetable for a few seconds before they move at all. That's the only phase transition I can think of where you wouldn't have everyone taking a bunch of damage beforehand.

Like, I get this thread is full of you guys who try to make everything perfect because you're savage raiders, but it's fuckin brute justice normal. It doesn't matter. You'll get aggro on one of them, they'll slowly waddle 2 feet over to you and maybe hit you, then the tank(s) will get aggro again. Or you'll hit shroud and nothing will happen. You're also assuming, against what I've said, that I'm using Medica 2 all day erryday, even though:

And I did say almost always. If everyone is full up and no damage is coming in then no poo poo don't cast it.

Medica 2 is something you put up after a fight has started so that small and incidental damage is nullified without you having to worry about it. It's a workhorse during movement phases where bits of chip damage come out, and it can keep people alive if the arena is big enough that people will run out of range of you for short periods of time, especially if you pair it with regen. If you run into aggro problems while using medica 2, either you're open palm slamming it before the fight starts and threat is established, your tanks suck, or you don't know that shroud of saints exists or how it works.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm playing the most mp-intensive class in the game, time to sit on my biggest mp management cooldown ~just in case~

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the actual funniest way to pull with medica ii is running it while nidhogg's in the air, because he lands and immediately cleaves the whole raid

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Reiterpallasch posted:

the actual funniest way to pull with medica ii is running it while nidhogg's in the air, because he lands and immediately cleaves the whole raid

owns, time to dust off my whm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

I've had this happen in a lot of hoggex parties. :argh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sorry that you think so poorly of your own posting.

Shroud is an incredibly useful tool in the right hands, but as a tank, I rarely see it used properly outside of preformed groups. 90% of the time people use it as a an "oh poo poo" button when they're almost out of MP, and usually they're out of MP because they've been spamming Medica and Medica II whenever someone gets a boo boo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been off this game for about a year, basically played a week of 3.1 and stopped, do people still use WTFast? I remember hearing it isn't free anymore but the game definitely felt sluggish without it. I saw that mudras are client-side now which was one of the biggest offenders, but the game in general just felt less responsive than something like WoW without WTFast. Is there a different free option people use?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Provoke isn't gonna do poo poo to medica 2 aggro if it's a problem.

Also I'm curious how you wipe the raid by making aggro funny for a second or two at the start of the two adds, which both are targetable for a few seconds before they move at all. That's the only phase transition I can think of where you wouldn't have everyone taking a bunch of damage beforehand.

Like, I get this thread is full of you guys who try to make everything perfect because you're savage raiders, but it's fuckin brute justice normal. It doesn't matter. You'll get aggro on one of them, they'll slowly waddle 2 feet over to you and maybe hit you, then the tank(s) will get aggro again. Or you'll hit shroud and nothing will happen. You're also assuming, against what I've said, that I'm using Medica 2 all day erryday, even though:

Medica 2 is something you put up after a fight has started so that small and incidental damage is nullified without you having to worry about it. It's a workhorse during movement phases where bits of chip damage come out, and it can keep people alive if the arena is big enough that people will run out of range of you for short periods of time, especially if you pair it with regen. If you run into aggro problems while using medica 2, either you're open palm slamming it before the fight starts and threat is established, your tanks suck, or you don't know that shroud of saints exists or how it works.

Brute Justice doesn't share aggro with the robot from the beginning. If a healer is pumping out massive heals right as it spawns in, they're getting double rocket punched

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mudfish costs like 3 dollars and will last like 200 hours easily.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Please use your cooldowns.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Brute Justice doesn't share aggro with the robot from the beginning. If a healer is pumping out massive heals right as it spawns in, they're getting double rocket punched

You mean the part when everyone's going to take half their health in damage when brute justice lands, so medica 2 isn't overhealing anymore? And everyone is stacked together so the tanks don't have to be confused over what needs to happen?

also lol at calling "having medica 2 ticking" "massive heals"

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

I've been off this game for about a year, basically played a week of 3.1 and stopped, do people still use WTFast? I remember hearing it isn't free anymore but the game definitely felt sluggish without it. I saw that mudras are client-side now which was one of the biggest offenders, but the game in general just felt less responsive than something like WoW without WTFast. Is there a different free option people use?

try it again without, it might have improved for you if you changed providers recently

if not, mudfish is cheapest, i think battleping or pingzapper have free trials as well

terrified of my bathroom posted:

what i have above 50% mp, don't need to use blood price

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

WTFast is garbage and possibly also a scam. Mudfish has been working pretty well for me, and being able to pay by traffic is a lot more reasonable.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

As with many things, the issue is less Medica 2 and more the people using it wrongly.
Different story around launch before enmity buffs happened though. Lol, titan ex.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I know someone who put 2 dollars into his mudfish credit like 4 years ago and he still hasn't used it all, and he regularly uses it to play gundam online. It's ridic cheap.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

terrified of my bathroom posted:

This, but for every class tia

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey, don't tell me to not hold onto that Ewer in my spread for the entire dungeon because I might need it ~just in case~

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not so much that it's a massive heal, but the overall poor timing of it. Here's a brief timeline of what happens:

0:00 Brute Justice Spawns
0:01 Medica II tics, Brute Justice aggros to healer A
0:03 Tank provokes and uses ranged attack, Brute Justice aggros to tank
0:04 Medica II tics, Brute Justice aggros to healer A
0:05 Brute Justice starts casting Double Rocket Punch on Healer A. At this point Healer A is dead and there's nothing they can do, even if the tank gets aggro before the cast ends
0:07 Both Healer A and Healer B die because Healer B doesn't think to move out of the way, or because they think they can save Healer A by splitting the damage

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Davoren posted:

There were several hundred posts between now and when I wrote about it before, so maybe it's been covered, but if anyone in the EU was doing the magazine offer for the original fat chocobo, I emailed them today and they claimed they sent the code, but I didn't receive it. They were able to issue me a new code in those emails, so if you're still waiting tell them.

I had a similar thing but it turned out the email had got put into the promotions folder in my gmail.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

You mean the part when everyone's going to take half their health in damage when brute justice lands, so medica 2 isn't overhealing anymore? And everyone is stacked together so the tanks don't have to be confused over what needs to happen?

I don't know exactly what these healers were doing to exceed my tomahawk aggro effortlessly, but there is a point in A8 where the healer will die for healing too much.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I don't play a healer but I am really certain there is no aggro difference between regular healing and overhealing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the MSQ really making me do a level 50 trial? Or am I reading that wrong?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Edit : yes, it is. There are some changes to the dialog for it. You should see if you can get a group together to undersize it.

Brute Justice spawns about 15 seconds before he lands, so healers can get a substantial agro lead. If a healer decides to overheal when everyone groups up, preemptively casts medica II for the landing, and misses the window and has to recast it, then boss will head right towards that healer. While this might not matter in normal Alex, situations like that can quickly spiral out of control in difficult content, which is why the person who started this conversation said they wished there was a way to practice EX and savage fights without the risk of upsetting other players.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know exactly what these healers were doing to exceed my tomahawk aggro effortlessly, but there is a point in A8 where the healer will die for healing too much.

There is a window of time after Brute Justice comes down, between the raidwide AoE/knockback, and becoming targettable. Stupid healers pop their AoE heals and start topping people off during this window, establishing a heavy threat lead before a tank can even target the boss for provoke or any kind of threat move.

These healers usually wind up getting double-rocket-punched, and its not your fault. In fact, I encourage letting them get their dumb selves killed. There is very little outgoing AoE damage immediately after Brute Justice becomes targettable. I started healing more often last patch purely because J. Random Pubhealer, Esq. couldn't be trusted to not get their own dumb rear end killed, and I didn't feel like wasting time wiping to the phase transition.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 5, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

boy are my arms tired posted:

honestly for normals if you keep me alive during tankbusters / the raid alive during aoes/prey, and you're not dying to mechanics, i'm not watching your throughput and i don't care what your numbers are, you're doing your job

its different for statics looking to optimize but for df normals i don't think anyone is gonna toothpick through your numbers and call you out

e: emalde give me balance always, forever, ty

That's my philosophy. If I ragged on every Honest Healer or dumb dps I encounter in roulette I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome.

EDIT:

Tae posted:

Is the MSQ really making me do a level 50 trial? Or am I reading that wrong?

Yes it is. Pay attention to Titan's dialog. It makes it sort of worth it.

Honestly, I would have just reconfigured the fight to make it a 1-person Duty. I mean it probably could be solo'd by every job if it wasn't for Gaol

e;fb

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 5, 2016

Top Hate and Suit
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You need a Guildhest or GC recruit for Careless Whisper it seems, so time to spam Under the Armor for that sweet 1 minute and done action.

I just got her after getting a chocobo racing challenge log done.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Gold Saucer challenge log can recruit any of the 60 recruits. WILDCARD, BABY

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

WTFast is garbage and possibly also a scam.

WTFast definitely works for me, but the cheaper options should be at least as good so use Mudfish or whatever instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Top Hate and Suit posted:

Gold Saucer are the wildcard things, so you can get anyone with them. I'm well jealous though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Top Hate and Suit posted:

Hrrgghhh want that Roegadame in my squad :swoon:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

While I'd really like to recruit that George Michael song, I'd have a hard time figuring out who to get rid of to make room. Maybe if I were to switch her class, assuming stats switch automatically to the standard stats of that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd let her be the Warrior of Light in my stead.

• Locked thread