Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Also their best 2 players went to NA to form a bad team that didn't make it to worlds.

this is the funniest part to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

In all likelyhood it's because China had the money + resources to rebuild entire teams like Samsung White or combinations of old Naijin/KT teams and not because NA teams wanted to run three imports

I know that's WHY but the implementation of it was really loving stupid because of the negative impacts that it had on certain teams

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i mean, let them do it, because breaking sister teams was dumb imo

I get that sister teams run a risk of conflict of interest but on the other hand just fine them for collusion

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taciturn Tactician posted:

TSM these days though I imagine could basically pull anyone they want, but I think that speaks more to how good an organisation they are than to old loyalties. Whatever you can say about Regi, once he got off the stage he's been fantastic at running TSM and managing TSM's image. Maybe Riot could ask him for PR tips :v:
Rule #1:. Tryndamere is banned from making statements on social media.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Shadow225 posted:

How would the gold work on C9 is Rush did somehow join? Would he be 4th behind Jensen, Impact, Sneaky? I never looked at gold charts while he was on the team, but with his aggressive play style I would have a hard time believing he was a low econ jungler.

It depends on the champion, but Rush is more than capable of being a low econ jungler. When he played Lee in competitive he was an early ganker/late utility tank. It's important to remember that Nidalee/Graves were really big in the meta when he was playing and if junglers got those champions they were always going to get a higher percentage of the gold take no matter what team they're on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Low Econ or no?? What does you think??? No. ok.

*rush in SKT vs C9 game*

"Mid die... is this Rush's fault or not? No flame, No flame. Mid saw Elise on pink ward and still try to trade aggressively... no brain, how is this Rush fault? Whenever I pick Lee Sin some tragedy happen. This cannot be Rush fault. Can I do anything to stop this? he does not even flash elise coccoon what can I do to stop this?"

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Zoness posted:

also why is europe so bad, have they had all their talent imported away or something?

The talent that stayed think they're too good to practice or listen to coaches. Plenty of people in the EU scene are making GBS threads on it for being lazy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zoness posted:

I get that sister teams run a risk of conflict of interest but on the other hand just fine them for collusion
There was only a single instance where a scenario popped up you could have even argued collusion was involved in Korea (It was featuring both SKT teams in which one could have advanced by beating its sister team but failed to qualify if they lost). Other than that one scenario all of the sister teams were pretty competitive with one another and there were enough teams to fill out both the regular league and the rough equal to a challenger league. It could be argued that the only downside in Korea at the time was how little they were paying compared to other regions (Especially China and NA)

Riot had a huge issue with seemingly anything OGN is/was doing and has been constantly trying to sabotage them since the end of Season 4. There wasn't any reason to meddle in their affairs and should have worked with OGN instead of against them, especially considering they had hands-down the best format and best production and still do.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Low Econ or no?? What does you think??? No. ok.

This guy kind of creepy. Or not? Not sure.

:golfclap:

I would like to see Rush in pro play again -- while streaming may make him a ton of money and it's enjoyable to watch, it does seem like his talent is wasted on it. At some point I wonder if some team's going to try to pick him up for his fanbase.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(Rush stands up from the lCS player station and walks back to a prepared bed in the corner of the lCS arena) I sleepy now. So sleepy. Good bye.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Rush is an old man in esport years(24), probably not super attractive after a relatively quiet spring from him (would have been better if balls didn't suck)

I'm not sure how true this is, a good number of CSGO's top players are near their 30s. I think the reason you don't see too many older League players is just because the game is still pretty young and seems to have a high burnout rate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cant wait for skt to go 6-0 in groups and win all their series 3-0 or 3-1 on the way to finals, which they will win.

Same but TSM and 5-1 in groups.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure how true this is, a good number of CSGO's top players are near their 30s. I think the reason you don't see too many older League players is just because the game is still pretty young and seems to have a high burnout rate.

My friends who are in their 30s and ex-CSGO pro players but still very good Global Elites played LoL for a few years and quit because it was annoying for them to see the game change so radically every season. I kinda burned out due to the same reason. A few months without playing and it feels like your skill goes to the dumpster. A year without playing and I no longer know anything about the meta, itemization or even champions. It's a bit tiresome when you don't have the time or patience to dedicate yourself entirely to the game.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not very good at csgo so maybe I'm off base but lol seems to require constant micro and accurate clicking to kill creeps and the like. Seems much more draining than csgo, more like starcraft which I think has similar age range for players who can be considered old.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zoness posted:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah esports betting is a big problem in korea but they also have the infrastructure to handle it

gently caress that man though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm not very good at csgo so maybe I'm off base but lol seems to require constant micro and accurate clicking to kill creeps and the like. Seems much more draining than csgo, more like starcraft which I think has similar age range for players who can be considered old.

TSM's Weldon has a pretty long and interesting vlog about this. Basically there's no physical reason players can't be pro well into their 30's. Science has shown that there isn't an appreciable loss of reaction time and manual dexterity until much later in life. It really has to do with the natural increase in responsibilities that occur as you age. A teenager can be perfectly content playing for 12+ hours a day as long as the rest of their basic physical needs are taken care of. However as you age, earn money, get into relationships, and maybe even have a family, etc, you just can't put in that amount of time. Even as a pro player in a gaming house, you just naturally accumulate more responsibilities with age. Not to mention the mental fatigue of that amount of play for years on end. And because there's no way to "practice smarter" in LoL (for a variety of reasons, one of the chief being no sandbox mode) as your will and ability to put in those 12+ hour days erodes so does your competitiveness.

If you look at regular sports you'd think there's no way someone in their 30's could be competitive with someone who is 18 but you see it all the time. It's because those athletes can draw upon their previous experience and development to stay competitive. That's how Michael Phelps was able to win again in Rio despite less time in the pool beforehand and despite being against swimmers that were much younger and hungrier than him. But you can't do that in League, the game changes so often that it limits the value of experience and there's no way to optimize practice, all you can do is just play games. Basically pro careers will always be relatively short unless the competitive patch cycle slows down and Riot and/or players develop ways to practice smarter.

This is the vlog (iirc) if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civ7y0wAF3Y

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
That's pretty much exactly why Ive always said saint is full of poo poo about his reaction time. Its like, dude, everyone knows you just wanna get poo poo faced and gently caress groupies. Own it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sister teams in Korea almost entirely killed off all potential sponsors

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
First foreign pro to hit challenger in NA is Pawn, lmao

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=ssss3332222

Well he probably doesn't have a lot of scrims to go play in, so it makes sense.

e: huge potential NA star talent pickup right here

http://splitpush.net/news/lol-news/na-cs/shiphtur-announces-free-agency/

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 6, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
is shiphtur the most overhyped NA player of all time?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

stump collector posted:

is shiphtur the most overhyped NA player of all time?

Maybe Meteos.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Meteos had two really good seasons though

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
shiphtur was never really hyped except for like 5 minutes when he was on coast and won that lich bane ahri game

stump collector
May 28, 2007
he was extremely hyped before he joined coast, and iirc jintae was actually better and didn't destroy teams

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
When was Shiphtur ever actually hyped? I can't think of a single person who's ever been a fan of his.

I think he's pretty comparable to Meteos actually, in that they both were mostly dominant several seasons ago when playing against much depleted competition at their positions in their regions, and that they are both much more entertaining streamers than professional players.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i have to admit i thought piglet would destroy every game he played when i heard he was coming to NA

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
who's shiphtur, i think i've heard the name before but i can't put a face or champion or playstyle to it

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
When shitfur and pobleter were both on poo poo teams every one thought ship turd was better because pobelter wasn't clutch enough.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Zoness posted:

who's shiphtur, i think i've heard the name before but i can't put a face or champion or playstyle to it

An Ahri walking backwards forever.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

Face

Champion

Playstyle

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

looooooooool

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Zoness posted:

Mid for Dignatas for a number of seasons beyond any worth caring about.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Savage Cracker posted:

Face

Champion

Playstyle

Nice.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
We're finally getting replays, sandbox mode maybe on the horizon????

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As a man who once reached the great heights of Silver V, here is my guide on how to make the game easier on the Pros:

Sandbox mode with cooldown timers that can scale to at least URF levels.
Quarterly patches rather than biweekly patches.
Give teams access to those patches 2 weeks ahead of time.
For the love of all that is holy never let lane swaps happen again.
Give each house a crate of Chipotle and Orange Juice at the beginning of each week.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
http://www.roadtolarissa.com/worlds-group/

This thing's awesome and shows all the possible outcomes for groups.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Stop patching every 2 weeks is the main thing to my mind.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

When was Shiphtur ever actually hyped? I can't think of a single person who's ever been a fan of his.

People were really hyped for Dignicoast when that roster merger happened. In fact people were hyped for an alarming number of incarnations of Dignitas even though the last time they've had any kind of impact on the world stage was a Scarra getting assassinated over and over again by a wild card team en route to an 0-3 group finish at Season 2 Worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jenny Angel posted:

People were really hyped for Dignicoast when that roster merger happened. In fact people were hyped for an alarming number of incarnations of Dignitas even though the last time they've had any kind of impact on the world stage was a Scarra getting assassinated over and over again by a wild card team en route to an 0-3 group finish at Season 2 Worlds

Yea, Coast had clear talent top & mid with Darshan & Shiphtur. Dig had clear talent Bot & Jungle (at the time), so the merger made sense of taking the strengths from 2 lovely teams and trying to make 1 good team. From the way its been talked about by Qtpie & Scarra during On The Rift and from what was dramaing at the time, they ended up with just a lovely toxic environment. They didnt practice hard, and Qt, Kiwi, and Scarra were best buds who alienated everyone else because they didnt play magic the gathering or go out to eat (because Shiphtur is a weird gnome & Darshan is a vegetarian & Crumbz was busy finding enlightenment to become a prophet).

Out of that team only Darshan & Kiwikid managed to have any kind of longevity or success.

That team could have probably been a top 4 NA team if they had real coaching or practice.

• Locked thread