Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No we dont you idiot. Aust has a 5% Informal vote rate on a 95% turnout. Source : Aust Electoral Commission

thank you for this, this is what I assumed to be the likely case. any linked sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Source your posts, because my understanding is that mandatory voting --> much higher levels of "legitimate" voter participation

e: here's one paper which theorizes counter to your post. based on 5 seconds of Google Scholar searching

http://www.edegan.com/pdfs/Krasa%20Polborn%20(2009)%20-%20Is%20mandatory%20voting%20better%20than%20voluntary%20voting.pdf

I'm loosely basing it off of second hand Australian stuff, where the main issue is that young people (18-25) aren't even registered.

You are right, though. The spoilt vote hovers around 5-6% from my 5 second Google search.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Ummmm should this be something to worry about?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-tells-citizens-to-prepare-for-nuclear-war-061203585.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NikkolasKing posted:

It's kind of tragic they have to make up poo poo about Hillary though when she has several real clusterfucks to her name.

The problem for them is that most of Hillary's actual faults are things that Republican voters are A-OK with. Her being somewhat hawkish, cozy with Wall Street, how she allegedly treated women with sexual assault allegations against Bill, those are all qualities that most Republican voters would consider neutral at worst and most likely good things if they were coming from someone with an R next to their name. Of course, that hasn't stopped them from criticizing her over these issues too, but they fall pretty flat and don't stick like emailsemailsemails does.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Since you posted it I'm gonna go with "no."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Phone posted:

I'm loosely basing it off of second hand Australian stuff, where the main issue is that young people (18-25) aren't even registered.

You are right, though. The spoilt vote hovers around 5-6% from my 5 second Google search.

Reminder that Australian balloting works a hell of a lot different from ours since it's not FPTP

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No we dont you idiot. Aust has a 5% Informal vote rate on a 95% turnout. Source : Aust Electoral Commission

Go to bed or go on a 4am bike ride.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

http://www.edegan.com/pdfs/Krasa%20Polborn%20(2009)%20-%20Is%20mandatory%20voting%20better%20than%20voluntary%20voting.pdf

poo poo like this is why I never put any spaces in filenames. Periods or underscores people!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lozzle posted:

It gets worse.

they need to fire their editor
and their correspondents
and Bill O' Reilly
actually just fire everyone ok

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

On Terra Firma posted:

My fiance is Chinese and holy gently caress this set her off. It's so insanely racist and offensive that I cannot wrap my mind around how anyone could say otherwise. :psyduck:

I'm getting similar reactions when I send it to family and friends who normally don't get political. It's that bad.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Alexandra Petri is a national treasure.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

lozzle posted:

It gets worse.

always more

always worse

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder that Australian balloting works a hell of a lot different from ours since it's not FPTP

Yeah, it's not possible to map analogies to/from Austraila/United States.

Compulsory voting on its own in America would have a slew of problems that would need to be addressed beforehand (i.e. - what I was saying about federal holidays not meaning poo poo for most hourly employees).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/783748317469605888

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Yeah, it's not possible to map analogies to/from Austraila/United States.

Sure, but it's reasonable to assume that it will have a similar effect, unless you have a specific schema which suggests otherwise.

lmao oh please quadruple down on this Don my man

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

As in this guy witnessed it?

Are you saying the Trump meltdown is real? :allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Authoritarian shithead says things to scare his counties population into continually supporting him in a desperate plea to stave off the ongoing economic collapse that he brought against them for being an authoritarian shithead.

Remember, Putin famously loving hates Hillary.

Like utterly loving despises her on every level.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Considering all this took was a simple Google search, I'm gonna say no.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I hope this was on tape to add to the Clinton ad that ends in the sad trombones

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Australia's mandatory voting also elects horrible people that keep the concentration camps going and refuse to legalize gay marriage, so it's not a good advertisement. Meanwhile, most countries that have ever had mandatory voting have slowly phased it out over time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Australia's mandatory voting also elects horrible people that keep the concentration camps going and refuse to legalize gay marriage, so it's not a good advertisement. Meanwhile, most countries that have ever had mandatory voting have slowly phased it out over time.

All voting systems elect horrible people

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

fishmech posted:

Because Australia has a monopoly on shithead politicians. :rolleyes:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Considering all this took was a simple Google search, I'm gonna say no.

Did you read the final paragraph?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

Okay? I'm sure that was in fact said.

Edit: of all the things I can worry about in my life, whether or not some Russian annihilates me in a nuclear hellball is not even on the list because if it does happen, it sure as poo poo won't matter if I worried about it or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sure, but it's reasonable to assume that it will have a similar effect, unless you have a specific schema which suggests otherwise.

I mean, we already elect reprehensible people into office as is. I don't see how forcing everyone to vote is going to solve that fundamental problem of people actively voting against their best interests.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Two more newspapers endorsing Hillary:

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/783744023144071169

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/783751849027461120

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

CelestialScribe posted:

Given how nerve wracking your life is, I'd assume death by nuclear annihilation would be a step up.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

:getin:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CelestialScribe posted:

OK, chicken little, what is the negative thing we should worry about even if the Russians are in fact building disaster shelters out in Moscow.

Explain that one to me. Explain why we should be afraid of that. Maybe use short, quizzical questions and act harried at the very thought while you're at it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lozzle posted:

Had a monopoly on creationists for a while.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lozzle posted:

Mandatory voting simply doesn't accomplish anything. Also they've got a monopoly on concentration camps for refugees in the anglosphere.

Andrast posted:

All voting systems elect horrible people

Australia's elects concentration camp lovers.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

OK, chicken little, what is the negative thing we should worry about even if the Russians are in fact building disaster shelters out in Moscow.

Explain that one to me. Explain why we should be afraid of that. Maybe use short, quizzical questions and act harried at the very thought while you're at it.

I have no idea. I'd figure someone here could explain whether this is just regular sabre rattling or something different.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

fishmech posted:

Mandatory voting simply doesn't accomplish anything. Also they've got a monopoly on concentration camps for refugees in the anglosphere.

Australia's elects concentration camp lovers.

A lot to Aussies and English people aren't just bad, as near as I can tell.

Aldo, obviously, so are a lot of Americans. We at least have a decent to good Chief Executive at the moment though.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

I have no idea. I'd figure someone here could explain whether this is just regular sabre rattling or something different.

If it was real news, don't you think someone besides loving yahoo would be reporting on it?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

CelestialScribe posted:

Just to make the rest of your life a little easier: it's always sabre rattling. :ssh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yes please.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

computer parts posted:

Had a monopoly on creationists for a while.

Also, deranged beady-eyed onion men.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

It's slightly different in that Putin hates Hillary and despite his best efforts she's going to be president baring a literal miracle, but treat it like regular sabre rattling since there is no way in hell russia will first strike us and we won't first strike them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I've never found the argument compelling that making people who don't care have to make a choice is necessarily better for democracy.

It IS nice that this limits voter suppression as a tactic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rygar201 posted:

A lot to Aussies and English people aren't just bad, as near as I can tell.

Aldo, obviously, so are a lot of Americans. We at least have a decent to good Chief Executive at the moment though.

There's something rich about pointing to both England and Australia and going "why can't we be more like them?"

• Locked thread