Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Somfin posted:

Like I said earlier, Kreia isn't doing a duality thing. Her point there was "you don't have enough control to actually do good in this horrible universe, isnt that just infuriating, wouldn't it be nice if you did? Oh look at all this Sith literature I dropped everywhere, how clumsy of me."

Poorly communicated but still better than "actually there's no difference between good and bad things" which is how I read it the first time.

:psyduck: poo poo, that actually makes sense, I might have to give it another run through with that in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
She doesn't like the Sith any better than the Jedi, she's trying to steer you towards her own way of doing things, which is to see people as tools to manipulate to your own ends- "Use your power, but in its proper place."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
After I reloaded a choice and she told me I was a fuckhead for choosing either option I concluded that her reason for existing was solely to screw with the player and clown on them the whole game. She was probably my favorite party member.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

After I reloaded a choice and she told me I was a fuckhead for choosing either option I concluded that her reason for existing was solely to screw with the player and clown on them the whole game. She was probably my favorite party member.
this is basically the case. Chris Avellone gained terminal irony poisoning by reading too much Star Wars Expanded Universe material in prep for the job and concluded that he hated everything about The Force and the setting in general. Kreia was his outlet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this is basically the case. Chris Avellone gained terminal irony poisoning by reading too much Star Wars Expanded Universe material in prep for the job and concluded that he hated everything about The Force and the setting in general. Kreia was his outlet.

Yep. Kreia is cool because you don't even have to agree with her, just so long as you acknowledge that you'll think over what she said then you usually still get the relationship points and the benefit that comes with it. It makes her constant "actually... :smug:" interjections a lot less irritating both from a gameplay and storytelling perspective, since her constantly being devil's advocate to your choices doesn't penalize you for going against her moraliity as long as you acknowledge it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

You can also solve the problem by just not bringing her on any missions with you, at the expense of the game's narrative development of course.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

SOM experience:

1st 5 minutes: Holy gently caress balls, No Parry?!. poo poo's gonna be hard
Last 3rd hours: *merrily slicing the heads of off orcs, lalalala*

I will say that the game got difficult with archers, but that seemed more like a gently caress You to players than an actual challenge.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jaramin posted:

You can also solve the problem by just not bringing her on any missions with you, at the expense of the game's narrative development of course.

Doesn't she chime in quite a bit anyway though because of your ~psychic connection~?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

there wolf lmao posted:

Another thing about shadow of Mordor: the my strongest nemesis is immune to everything - stealth, finishers, beasts, and he takes most of my health in one hit and poisons me down to no health. I just killed him for the first time by arrowidng him like 15 times and interrogating him, but because I can't kill him with a combat finisher to decapitate him (which is only a loving CHANCE to decap uruk) he's probably gonna come back. How the gently caress do I permanently kill him without combat finishers or feeding him to a graug?

So annoyed that combat finishers only give you a chance of decaps! How am I to kill this douche?

E: I haven't gotten branding yet and I'm still pretty far out from it, so do I ha e to just wait until then so he can get way stronger with less weaknesses by that time?

Elf shot + Grog barrel / Camp fire = Enjoy your Mordorian atom bomb. There is no captain in the game that can withstand you blowing them up twice or so, even ones immune to fire damage will still take a heap of damage from the grog barrel exploding. Got a problem captain? Find the grog.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
^^^ Also Wraith Flash. Nothing is immune to that. Though whittling down a regenerating captain using just that and basic attacks can take a while. ^^^

Guy Mann posted:

Borderlands had an inventory system that was so cramped there wasn't enough space to show all the stats and bonuses for your gun unless you modded it, meaning your gun could have one or two effects you'd have no way of knowing about beforehand.

The red text bonuses were always annoying, IMO. On top of saving space, I get that they probably wanted it to be a surprise/punchline when you pulled the trigger on something with a particularly wacky effect (this shotgun shoots rockets???) but there's such a wide variance between simple stat tweaks and completely unique behaviors that it's infinitely simpler to just look that poo poo up on a wiki.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Oct 3, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Doesn't she chime in quite a bit anyway though because of your ~psychic connection~?

She only does that maybe 4-5 times in the whole game, and I think she does for story-related reasons 2-3 of those times. Compare that to taking her as a companion, where she comments at least that much per planet.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

kotor 2 with the restored content mod is :perfect:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I moved today and had no internet and I played FTL. The first six games went like this. All were with the Zoltan A, so I had the slow charging beam and extra shields:

-Game 1: Every ship had the extra shields too, and faster weapons. Twice as fast charging, in fact. And they never missed. They took mine out but I won. I got no scrap from any encounter and just crew. By Sector 2 I couldn't not have things on fire because I couldn't upgrade anything. Game over.
-Game 2: Same.
-Game 3: Same.
-Game 4: Went great to Sector 2, except still got no scrap (got the Flak 2 though), so couldn't upgrade shields, so I immediately ran into a ship that knocked the extra shields out and set engines and weapons on fire. Every shot. Game over.
-Game 5: Same but no Flak.
-Game 6: Asteroids that missed the enemy and always hit me. Enemy shots hit cockpit and weapons. Game over.

This took half an hour. I remembered why I don't play FTL anymore really quickly.

e: Not that it's bad or anything, but you really can't do much to push things in your favor if the game's deadset on you losing.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Oct 3, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

im pooping! posted:

kotor 2 with the restored content mod is :perfect:

They made some weird decisions last time I tried it a couple of years ago, like having a flashback to every single character saying "Malachor V" when you go to Malachor V, or "restoring" a cut scene with Mandalore by having him discuss something with you out of nowhere right before you go to the final boss. They also never found a way around the weird bit right at the end where you say to your friends "I need you to stay here on Malachor V because others will seek this place out and I need you to point them in the right direction"... and then the planet blows up.

Man I want to replay KOTOR2 now, I just realised it's been two years.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Not that it's bad or anything, but you really can't do much to push things in your favor if the game's deadset on you losing.

No it's definitely bad, and you yourself said why.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I read an interesting explanation of this once, apparently translators find Japanese text difficult to translate and still fit naturally into the necessary scene times, because Japanese people take forever to say anything. The result is a lot of superfluous time that needs to be filled in with something or other when you translate to English.

I bought that new PS4 Digimon game a few months back and haven't beaten it for this very reason. Every time characters interact with one another is just a series of endless rambling sentences that are dull as gently caress. Before I stopped playing I would just mash the button until they were done.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the other hand, you have games like Tales of Symphonia, where there were long pauses after any cutscene dialogue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A White Guy posted:

SOM experience:

1st 5 minutes: Holy gently caress balls, No Parry?!. poo poo's gonna be hard
Last 3rd hours: *merrily slicing the heads of off orcs, lalalala*

But it does have parry. You right click.

e: prop 56 is apparently about raising sales tax on tobacco products. loving goons

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Boy dragons sure loving suck to fight when I can't blast them out of the sky with endless lightning.

No please go breathe on a wolf or something instead of engaging with the player character at all, maybe gently caress off to the other side of that mountain again. This is good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gitro posted:

Boy dragons sure loving suck to fight when I can't blast them out of the sky with endless lightning.

No please go breathe on a wolf or something instead of engaging with the player character at all, maybe gently caress off to the other side of that mountain again. This is good.

I'm not using any mods, so I cant tell the boy dragons from the girl dragons.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

I bought that new PS4 Digimon game a few months back and haven't beaten it for this very reason. Every time characters interact with one another is just a series of endless rambling sentences that are dull as gently caress. Before I stopped playing I would just mash the button until they were done.

Cyber Sleuth? Because that game's translation is atrocious. Half the game's dialogue seems to involve Japanese puns and references. And whenever you're given a dialogue prompt, no matter which one you choose, all the characters will get offended by it and you'll have no idea why.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Perhaps your tastes aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the immersion provided by realistic dragon genitalia (v2.03), but some of us belong to a better class of gamer.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

SiKboy posted:

There are neither. They are all man dragons. Macho Man dragons.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm playing through Uncharted 2 for the first time and overall it's been a fairly enjoyable game but the monastery level is just garbage. Repeatedly having to fight the body armor guys and rpg guys in confined spaces is not even challenging gameplay, it's just bad.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Morglon posted:

There are neither. They are all Thomas the Tank Engine dragons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Not that it's bad or anything, but you really can't do much to push things in your favor if the game's deadset on you losing.
It's actually really bad. Roguelikes in general have a lot of randomness, but FTL doesn't give the player very much input into what happens. The random elements are way too large a part of the game, because there just isn't enough going on in terms of the options you have and decisions you're making.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Between that and the dumb final boss I never found myself very invested in FTL. Cool little game but eh

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't consider it really bad because a bad run will end quickly (and even a good run will end quickly because it's a short game)- I think that kind of extreme randomness can be okay if the game is quick. Long and random would be a pain.

But I may also give it more credit than it deserves since it's a game about flying a spaceship that isn't about trading cargo and mining asteroids so it's already more interesting than 90% of the sci-fi games out there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't consider it really bad because a bad run will end quickly (and even a good run will end quickly because it's a short game)- I think that kind of extreme randomness can be okay if the game is quick. Long and random would be a pain.

But I may also give it more credit than it deserves since it's a game about flying a spaceship that isn't about trading cargo and mining asteroids so it's already more interesting than 90% of the sci-fi games out there.

Yeah, that's what currently turning me off of Everspace. It's really pretty and has some promising parts, but each run is long. In each sector you'll spend five to ten minutes just collecting the scattered items before moving on. But at the same time the game absolutely isn't above just throwing you into nigh-unwinnable scenarios whenever, so that makes a random loss even more annoying. If nothing else, FTL is quite decently paced and dense. You warp to a new point, you immediately resolve either an event or an enemy, and then you move on again to the next one. No long waiting or faffing about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Maxwell Lord posted:

The runs are long enough to tick me off. Spending over an hour going places and fighting starships only to get randomly slagged by some lucky pirates is the worst feeling. I know there are supposedly ways to stack the deck, but jeeeeeez it's not fun when it does that.

Invisible Inc for comparison's sake takes a similar amount of time to play, but it's utterly transparent about screwing you over and even has the rewind feature, so I don't get so ticked off when I put myself into the losing box.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's why the best roguelite is Nuclear Throne.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Don't get me started on that. I'm 20 hours in and have only killed lil hunter once. I may not be very good at nuclear throne.

I do love it though.

Oh right my point is that getting randomly blasted by something dumb 20 mins into the run doesn't exactly feel good. But that could be me not being hyper aware in new or unfamiliar areas.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Oct 6, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

KingSlime posted:

Don't get me started on that. I'm 20 hours in and have only killed lil hunter once.

I do love it though.

That's pretty normal. I'm sure I died over a dozen times to Lil Hunter before I killed him once. It took me 50 hours to successfully loop. Now I loop multiple times per session. It's really a game where you will markedly and consistently get better and better at it.

Having a solid gameplan for 5-3 and some familiarity with Lil Hunter's attack patterns makes him so much more manageable. He's not an RNG boss.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

That's why the best roguelite is WASTED.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

That's pretty normal. I'm sure I died over a dozen times to Lil Hunter before I killed him once. It took me 50 hours to successfully loop. Now I loop multiple times per session. It's really a game where you will markedly and consistently get better and better at it.

Having a solid gameplan for 5-3 and some familiarity with Lil Hunter's attack patterns makes him so much more manageable. He's not an RNG boss.

Ahh that's good to hear! Some dumb internet nerds were claiming that they started looping 20 hours in, and many agreed that that was typical. I was like wtf, I'm always (always) a naked ninja in Dark Souls/Bloodborne, how do I suck so bad at this game compared to those cool kids?

But yeah Nuclear Throne is my fave of all the rouge-likes I've played. The art style and the music, so loving inspired. BoI ain't got poo poo on it, in my opinion (six million expansions haven't helped keep me interested either I spose).

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KingSlime posted:

Ahh that's good to hear! Some dumb internet nerds were claiming that they started looping 20 hours in, and many agreed that that was typical. I was like wtf, I'm always (always) a naked ninja in Dark Souls/Bloodborne, how do I suck so bad at this game compared to those cool kids?

But yeah Nuclear Throne is my fave of all the rouge-likes I've played. The art style and the music, so loving inspired. BoI ain't got poo poo on it, in my opinion (six million expansions haven't helped keep me interested either I spose).

its ok, the expansions make the game worse because it introduces bosses that have like ten times the health of normal bosses, one of which being the Rag Man, whom you might encounter on the first floor, so if you dont get an item that increases tear damage, well..you're hosed, unless you want to spend the next ten minutes shooting at the boss. They also nerfed an incredibly hard to get item for absolutely no reason.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Fallout 4 survival mode has you die to random bullets sometimes, but not always, as some enemies cause huge spikes of damage (molotovs for instance, are a one shot kill) but that would be less irritating if not for the save system. Because of the irritating save system, where you have to rest to save, you are constantly running down your water/food timer, as well as sometimes picking up random illnesses and curing those means you need to take antibiotics, which, again, empty those two timers.

It really is remarkable how they've managed to find a system that combined some of the dumbest and worst aspects of ~hardcore modes~ from various games in this one. I keep comparing it unfavourably now to both STALKER and New Vegas and it's really, really annoying.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Fallout 4 survival mode has you die to random bullets sometimes, but not always, as some enemies cause huge spikes of damage (molotovs for instance, are a one shot kill) but that would be less irritating if not for the save system. Because of the irritating save system, where you have to rest to save, you are constantly running down your water/food timer, as well as sometimes picking up random illnesses and curing those means you need to take antibiotics, which, again, empty those two timers.

It really is remarkable how they've managed to find a system that combined some of the dumbest and worst aspects of ~hardcore modes~ from various games in this one. I keep comparing it unfavourably now to both STALKER and New Vegas and it's really, really annoying.

wait, you cant manually save or quicksave in survival mode?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

its ok, the expansions make the game worse because it introduces bosses that have like ten times the health of normal bosses, one of which being the Rag Man, whom you might encounter on the first floor, so if you dont get an item that increases tear damage, well..you're hosed, unless you want to spend the next ten minutes shooting at the boss. They also nerfed an incredibly hard to get item for absolutely no reason.

Yeah that doesn't sound fun. On that note, I wanted to try Gungeon cuz it looks slick but the complaints people had were just hitting too many "right" notes for me. It sounds bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

wait, you cant manually save or quicksave in survival mode?
Nope

And the most recent patch added 'save on quit' because they didn't think of that originally

Because ~the modders will fix everything~ is apparently Bethesdas main plan nowadays