Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

There's a part where you get to machine gun a Klan rally.
I hope the whole game is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Shadows of Mordor is really fun but I still see why I didn't get into it the first time I tried to play. The early game is really bad about letting you gently caress off doing open-world poo poo without realizing that the game hasn't yet unlocked or explained a ton of mechanics or just its basic structure since that stuff's hidden behind the main quest. I know some games (Zeldas?) are notorious for spanning the tutorial over like eight hours but feel like they would've done better to confine you to a small part of the map and/or not populate the world with collectibles and sidequests until you've beelined the story for a little while.

Shadow of Mordor :eng101: Because that's you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Housh posted:

So Bad Boys 2?

Invading Cuba would also be a plausible ending to Mafia III now that I think about it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Housh posted:

the main question is can I do this repeatedly in open world sections and if not is there at least a mission replay feature

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Shadows of Mordor is really fun but I still see why I didn't get into it the first time I tried to play. The early game is really bad about letting you gently caress off doing open-world poo poo without realizing that the game hasn't yet unlocked or explained a ton of mechanics or just its basic structure since that stuff's hidden behind the main quest. I know some games (Zeldas?) are notorious for spanning the tutorial over like eight hours but feel like they would've done better to confine you to a small part of the map and/or not populate the world with collectibles and sidequests until you've beelined the story for a little while.

Different strokes for different folks, I love that it wasn't hand holdey and I realized right off that if I wanted more abilities, I should focus on missions for awhile, but still hosed around in the overworld a lot just killing dudes because it was fun, and staggering the new powers was actually kinda cool and made me appreciate them?

Most games these days aren't even like, games in the old fashioned sense. Before there were rules and you played, now there's so much scripted storyline stuff its half movie, half game.

poo poo like Dark Souls letting you get lost and get confused and figure out the answers makes me way more happy than 'protect you from yourself' game design.

Housh posted:

:allears:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Housh posted:

I really hope the game lives up to this.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Housh posted:

Thats a cutscene

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trash Trick posted:

Thats a cutscene

The way the camera moves it looks like its just the intro and then you take over, but I could be wrong.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zaphod42 posted:

Most games these days aren't even like, games in the old fashioned sense. Before there were rules and you played, now there's so much scripted storyline stuff its half movie, half game.

poo poo like Dark Souls letting you get lost and get confused and figure out the answers makes me way more happy than 'protect you from yourself' game design.

I miss the days when you had to use your brain. If I get lost in a game today and it's the good kind of lost and not the badly designed lost, then I'm happy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

I miss the days when you had to use your brain. If I get lost in a game today and it's the good kind of lost and not the badly designed lost, then I'm happy.

That's morrowind isn't it? :) Definitely a good example of letting you get lost and having happy accidents.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

That's morrowind isn't it? :) Definitely a good example of letting you get lost and having happy accidents.

Yeah. Game was designed in a different era, to be sure. These days it's much easier to just add a dot on the minimap and an arrow on the ui, from both a design and a QA standpoint.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm currently loving the lack of map in Bloodborne. You can find so many secret areas and cool stuff by accident. It's great. Funnily enough I just mentioned in the Bloodborne thread that it's the game I've played the most since Morrowind!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There aren't many games from the last decade that can go toe-to-toe with Bloodborne.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Housh posted:

There are people legitimately upset by this mission. :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Good

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bloodborne is actually the best Souls game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirios posted:

not controversial

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kirios posted:

Bloodborne is actually the best game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kirios posted:

They're all the best in different ways. I love all my beautiful children.

But I love DS1 the most, don't tell the others

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Knack Souls is the best one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Then Mafia 3 has justified itself without selling a single copy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bloodborne is the No 1. game at making me sigh when it becomes the topic of this thread for pages on end.

Thanks again Quantum of Frommus (ha see what i did there)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Housh posted:

Guess I'm gonna get this game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That's not even a brutal scene in Mafia 3. I'm not a queasy guy but the execution moves are fuckin :stare:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Never played a Mafia game, are there stealth kills? Can I work my way from the back of the Klan rally to the front, slitting throats and muffling gurgles and savoring each death?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Housh posted:

What is this guy, a fuckin' Stormtrooper? Hit something!

Zaphod42 posted:

They're all the best in different ways. I love all my beautiful children.

But I love DS1 the most, don't tell the others

So far I'm thinking it's BB > DS1 > DS > DS3 > DS2 for me, and considering DS2 is pretty fun that's hardly a bad list.

Playing through DS1 again right now and I love how much every part of it holds up. It's great wandering around the maze that is Lordran and find yourself back where you started two hours later.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Posted about this a ways back, but Mirror's Edge is giving my system huge texture streaming issues.

Could it be possible that my disk copy is cocked up, or is my system on the fritz?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Posted about this a ways back, but Mirror's Edge is giving my system huge texture streaming issues.

Could it be possible that my disk copy is cocked up, or is my system on the fritz?

Games are copied to the hard drive, not streamed from the disc at all.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Browsed the psn store and saw that no mans sky digital is still 60 american dollars

lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Browsed the psn store and saw that no mans sky digital is still 60 american dollars

lol

Don't even download it for free, seriously. It's insulting on every level.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thumper is looking great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdRGg5810bk

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing Miku Future Tone every night for weeks (only 40 songs to go before I have at least attempted all of them) but I am totally up for some thumping. Vocaloid songs generally lack thumping.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been playing Miku Future Tone every night for weeks (only 40 songs to go before I have at least attempted all of them) but I am totally up for some thumping. Vocaloid songs generally lack thumping.

Hey I've been meaning to ask someone about this for a bit but never found the right opportunity: how does the PS4 handle Future Tone/Colorful Sound (or whatever its called) as games? I looked on the Hong Kong store and it's something like only $96 CAD to get the HKD for both games but are they separate games? I have the "Prelude" on my PS4 already so if I buy both those games do they merge into one big game? I noticed the trophies consider the two games as DLC for Prelude and am kind of confused.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Hey I've been meaning to ask someone about this for a bit but never found the right opportunity: how does the PS4 handle Future Tone/Colorful Sound (or whatever its called) as games? I looked on the Hong Kong store and it's something like only $96 CAD to get the HKD for both games but are they separate games? I have the "Prelude" on my PS4 already so if I buy both those games do they merge into one big game? I noticed the trophies consider the two games as DLC for Prelude and am kind of confused.
Maybe there are other ways to do it but I downloaded Prelude and then bought the other two and they appeared to be added on as DLC. There's only one icon for the game itself, saying Future Tone.

Then I bought the season pass because it is now my main thing to do on my sofa when I don't have any other plan in particular.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Policenaut posted:

Future tone is the 'complete' version of the game. Prelude is the pre-install/demo version that future sound and colorful tone download to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

lol

console games go down in price slower digitally. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at that price for a while

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

console games go down in price slower digitally. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at that price for a while

Digital games spec against RRP and don't have to contend with old stock filling limited shelf space for months on end. The real tell is how deeply they're willing to discount it the first time it's in a sale.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched my brother play NMS for about half an hour and it was so tedious. The game definitely doesn't look finished.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Need Diva-X to get thumping and that's just like one song. I want Project Diva: Dubsteppish edition. Kikuo tunes edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I should be getting Mafia III in the mail today. It's out on delivery. I'll drop some first impressions after work.

• Locked thread