Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Harnessed Lightning is extremely good. It scales up with itself, answers the premier early threats of the format, and gets quite dumb with any other cards that make extra energy. Casting it for 5+ damage feels so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sit on my Facebook posted:

Harnessed Lightning is extremely good. It scales up with itself, answers the premier early threats of the format, and gets quite dumb with any other cards that make extra energy. Casting it for 5+ damage feels so good

And, critically, so does casting it for 1 damage.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
mcmagic was right, using the green vessel in UG Marvel is so good. I feel like Glint-Nest has a home as a blocker so I cut out 2 Glintnests and the 2 Steal Artifact spells for 4 Vessels but I'm still not sure if that's optimum and my SB probably could use some work. List looks like this:

Lands - 22

4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
7 Forest
7 Island

Spells - 16

4 Aetherworks Marvel
4 Attune with Aether
4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Glassblower's Puzzleknot

Creatures - 22

4 Aether Theorist
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Thriving Turtle
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
3 Emrakul, the Promised End
2 Glint-Nest Crane
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Sideboard - 15

3 Negate
3 Ceremonious Rejection
3 Dispel
3 Aether Meltdown
3 Appetite for the Unnatural

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
An actual line from today's Magic Story:

quote:

"You can call me 'Shadowblade,' by the by. With a Y in the 'blade.'"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's great and all with your fancy marvel works but consider the following:

Upkeep
Crew Smuggler's Copter with Bomat Courier
Sac Bomat Courier, pitching Scrapyard Scrounger and Fiery Temper, paying R for madness, dome you for 3.
Courier Ability resolves, pick up 3 cards, including Incendiary Flow and a Land.
Draw for turn, land for turn, exile Bomat Courier to play Scrapyard Scrounger from yard. play Flow, crew second Copter with Scrounger.

Swing for 6.

BR Aggro is love.

Nibble posted:

That's great and all but Chandra literally calls him "big kitty".

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Nibble posted:

To be fair, she's presented as the hugest dork. Ajani actually scoffs in disbelief at some turns of phrase she uses.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LupusAter posted:

To be fair, she's presented as the hugest dork. Ajani actually scoffs in disbelief to some turns of phrase she uses.

A Quality Magic Storytelling Session posted:

"Harrumph," she said, grumpily.

She'd actually said harrumph. "Do you read a great deal?" he asked.

She glanced at him in puzzlement. "Bit too much, my mum used to say. Why?"

"No reason."

Lowball I don't think today's story was terrible I just thought the parts with 'Shadowblayde McNot Vatti" were hammy as poo poo.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 5, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nibble posted:

that was actually good, well okay maybe not good but passable, everyone in-universe treats her like the dork she is anyway

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

mandatory lesbian posted:

that was actually good, well okay maybe not good but passable, everyone in-universe treats her like the dork she is anyway

Chanda is about two minutes away from donning a fedora and doing vape tricks.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

chuuni character

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We got to see that Tamiyo has a husband and kids, and she interacts with Narset occasionally.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Well that's an interesting first sealed pool.....

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Erm.. You're a filthy lucksack?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

can't play all your bombs, enjoy a 2-3 record

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:chanpop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My deck check partner at a sealed PPTQ last weekend opened up a pool like this....

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Nibble posted:

Even the official Magic Facebook page calls it out:

quote:

This week's Magic Story involves fake hands, a cringy code name, an adopted Nezumi... and one very fuzzy familiar face.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

so you played 4 colors huh, hope you opened like 3 prismatic prisms

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just realized that Smuggler's Copter says "attacks or blocks"

:captainpop:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

End of Life Guy posted:

can't play all your bombs, enjoy a 2-3 record

This is what I'm expecting and I'm ok with that. 60 tix worth of Mythics is already a hell of a win, especially since I entered with play points I piled up playing Cube nonstop for weeks.

The rest of my pool is weird, but I settled on a UG Energy Turtles. ZERO fixing in the pool other than two Attune with Aether.

Saheeli + double gearhulk is tempting, but Nissa seems like the strongest of the bunch. My green makes lots of energy and I have lots of blue energy sinks, so let's try that. Lots of flyers always seems like a solid choice.

Count Bleck posted:

Erm.. You're a filthy lucksack?

For once this is very true.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I just realized that Smuggler's Copter says "attacks or blocks"

:captainpop:

Holy poo poo you're right.

Why is this card so good?!?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The shops in my area have been experimenting with a much different and much more interesting alternate format variant than Postmodern: Hyper budget vintage, 25 dollar tgc mid decks with the normal vintage ban list

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Formats where you literally can't tell if a player has a legal deck without going through their whole list and googling a bunch of prices seem like a terrible idea.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you insist on having a price-based format, at least make it something simple like "no card worth more than $2 TCG-mid", where it's easy to check a given card's legality quickly.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

If you insist on having a price-based format, at least make it something simple like "no card worth more than $2 TCG-mid", where it's easy to check a given card's legality quickly.

hot tech: buy out key cards in your opponents decks and then re-list them for way more. Step two, call a judge and get that fucker DQ'd!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also it's a format that inherently doesn't work well if it becomes popular since it starts to affect the price of the cards.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Archenteron posted:

The shops in my area have been experimenting with a much different and much more interesting alternate format variant than Postmodern: Hyper budget vintage, 25 dollar tgc mid decks with the normal vintage ban list

this is a cool idea until you realize that if it ever gained traction the demand for cheap cards would make them not cheap anymore and the format would constantly see its best decks rotate out due to being good/popular.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I remember there was something going around reddit of a pauper-replacement format where you can only play cards that are .01 tix on modo. Seemed to have some cool decks (lots of fun build-around rares that just don't make the cut outside of standard), and also being self-regulating if the format is at all popular.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Entropic posted:

Formats where you literally can't tell if a player has a legal deck without going through their whole list and googling a bunch of prices seem like a terrible idea.

Right, forgot to mention how the hell that works sanely - Lists are preregistered though a deckbuilder website which does the pricing and total for you.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Clearly you play Panharmonicon too here. Live the dream of doubling up on them 'hulks!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

the last time I saw someone doing a price-based format they were locking the pricelist at set rotation, so if a card was $1 on the kaladesh set release, it would be valued at $1 until the next set. Seems like a lot of bookkeeping and re-inventing of decks but that's really the only way to make it work.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sigma-X posted:

the last time I saw someone doing a price-based format they were locking the pricelist at set rotation, so if a card was $1 on the kaladesh set release, it would be valued at $1 until the next set. Seems like a lot of bookkeeping and re-inventing of decks but that's really the only way to make it work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PennyDreadfulMTG/ does this, but only for cards valued at 0.01 tickets.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jassi007 posted:

this is a cool idea until you realize that if it ever gained traction the demand for cheap cards would make them not cheap anymore and the format would constantly see its best decks rotate out due to being good/popular.

So the format is always fresh, and you never need a ban list. Seems great.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think just inducting all the bulk cards from a set as it rotates would be a good way to do it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

So the format is always fresh, and you never need a ban list. Seems great.

my deck was legal when i registered it, but by round 3 it became illegal

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zoness posted:

Wow nobody thought of this

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jabor posted:

I remember there was something going around reddit of a pauper-replacement format where you can only play cards that are .01 tix on modo. Seemed to have some cool decks (lots of fun build-around rares that just don't make the cut outside of standard), and also being self-regulating if the format is at all popular.

Replaces pauper? Self regulating? Gotta call it the Atlus Shrugged format

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's some scandinavian rally car sport where you can always offer to buy an opponents car for a fixed price and they have to accept. Could work well for magic too (the idea is no one ever makes the offer because it's never worth it).

Would work well on modo, especially if they had a better market for cards. Could even have a cut go to WOTC to make the offer even less attractive

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zoness posted:

Quick, buy up all the expensive copies before the judge makes her way over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

Quick, buy up all the expensive copies before the judge makes her way over.

if you buy copies you raise the market index on the card even more

what you do is sell your surplus copies at a loss, to lower the index

• Locked thread