Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

angerbeet posted:

There's a Korean lady who sells black garlic by the jar at the local farmer's market and we are becoming fast friends (although her KimChi is vegan and kind of... meh.)

Is Donair sauce the same everywhere? It's condensed milk, sugar, garlic powder, and vinegar in Nova Scotia, which has a crazy Donair scene and is where I learned to drunkenly love Donair. Pizza Corner for life.

I'm a filthy southerner so I don't know too much about doners but I don't think tart doubly sweetened sweet cream sounds right. Have you made this or just been told?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I have had absolutely fantastic kebabs in places like Twentynine Palms, California and Olean, New York. Not even talking about New York and LA and Chicago and Boston and San Francisco (though the best kebabs are in Fremont tbh).

People who can't get a good kebab in the US either live in a rural hellhole or aren't looking.

Doner/kebab/gyros white sauce is properly yogurt (or a yogurt/sour cream mix) with garlic and spices. Look up cacik or tzatziki recipes.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Oct 5, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

I have had absolutely fantastic kebabs in places like Twentynine Palms, California and Olean, New York. Not even talking about New York and LA and Chicago and Boston and San Francisco (though the best kebabs are in Fremont tbh).

People who can't get a good kebab in the US either live in a rural hellhole or aren't looking.

Kebabs are great here in Houston, as are gyros and all, but we don't really have the filthy, greasy gutbomb doners like you find in Canada or the US. I wish I could find a doner snack pack but it seems like 1 or 2 places in America period have them

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
A lot of Greek places have gyros fries, though those usually have feta or mizrathi cheese rather than cheddar.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

AlbieQuirky posted:

A lot of Greek places have gyros fries, though those usually have feta or mizrathi cheese rather than cheddar.

well if it's something called 'gyros fries' from a Greek place why would anyone expect cheddar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cheddar, condensed milk, and sugar sure screams "mediterranean" to me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

angerbeet posted:

Is Donair sauce the same everywhere? It's condensed milk, sugar, garlic powder, and vinegar in Nova Scotia, which has a crazy Donair scene and is where I learned to drunkenly love Donair. Pizza Corner for life.
Both the spelling and the sauce seem to be local to Canada according to Wikipedia.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

dijon du jour posted:

Something a lot of people don't seem to know is that garlic gets a stronger flavor the smaller pieces its cut into. Whole, cooked garlic cloves have a pleasant, mild flavor and I actually have a few recipes where the meat is cooked in- and eaten with roasted garlic cloves.

This is true. Using fresh pressed garlic gives a dish a much more pronounced garlic flavor compared to using Whole cloves. I'm guessing cutting or crushing the garlic releases a lot of the oils, which is what does it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Donair sweet sauce made from sweetened condensed milk is definitely a thing and it's good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Panfilo posted:

This is true. Using fresh pressed garlic gives a dish a much more pronounced garlic flavor compared to using Whole cloves. I'm guessing cutting or crushing the garlic releases a lot of the oils, which is what does it.

Yeah the chemical that produces the pungent garlickyness is in the cells, and the more cells you rupture the more pungent it gets. Whole cloves that have been roasted are tasty but lack the sharpness. Take a whole head of garlic sometime, cut the top off and drown it in olive oil, then roast it at low temperature in the oven for an hour or so. Eat with a spoon. It's fantastic.

One of the cool things about garlic is how much you can change the flavor just by cutting it in different ways, before you even start cooking it.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

CommonShore posted:

Donair sweet sauce made from sweetened condensed milk is definitely a thing and it's good.

Condensed milk plus sugar sounds disgustingly cloying but drunk me tells me she would, with gusto and whipped cream on top

Tart yogurt sauce is supreme though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PiratePing posted:

Condensed milk plus sugar sounds disgustingly cloying but drunk me tells me she would, with gusto and whipped cream on top

Tart yogurt sauce is supreme though

I'm not sure what the actual recipe is, but in practice it's a lot like the sweetness added from something like Teriyaki sauce or apple sauce - it goes really well with extra-malliard roast meats as just a bit of a splattery topping.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure what the actual recipe is, but in practice it's a lot like the sweetness added from something like Teriyaki sauce or apple sauce - it goes really well with extra-malliard roast meats as just a bit of a splattery topping.

I just can't see it. Teriyaki is sweet cause of pineapple juice, something that's just regular sweet. SCM is halfway to caramel as it is, and I don't even know how you could physically incorporate more sugar. Seems revolting

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1GES3iIdQ

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

CommonShore posted:

• 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Whisk together and refrigerate before serving.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the chemical that produces the pungent garlickyness is in the cells, and the more cells you rupture the more pungent it gets. Whole cloves that have been roasted are tasty but lack the sharpness. Take a whole head of garlic sometime, cut the top off and drown it in olive oil, then roast it at low temperature in the oven for an hour or so. Eat with a spoon. It's fantastic.

One of the cool things about garlic is how much you can change the flavor just by cutting it in different ways, before you even start cooking it.

You can make your own aioli without eggs by crushing garlic cloves in a mortar with some coarse salt and lemon juice, then adding a spoonful of oil at a time until it emulsifies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xen Tricks posted:

I just can't see it. Teriyaki is sweet cause of pineapple juice, something that's just regular sweet. SCM is halfway to caramel as it is, and I don't even know how you could physically incorporate more sugar. Seems revolting

cyberia posted:

• 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Whisk together and refrigerate before serving.

There you go. Sounds about right. Sweet + acid + aromatic is a pretty common meat topping. If you add dairy, it's basically a cheeseburger.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
*Passing through PYF and sees thread title*

Oh lord, what now?

quote:

Would without a moments hesitation.

quote:

:stonk: WHY?!?!?

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

CommonShore posted:

There you go. Sounds about right. Sweet + acid + aromatic is a pretty common meat topping. If you add dairy, it's basically a cheeseburger.

If you say so, maybe I'll give it a try some day. At least there's not added sugar. Also pro as gently caress thread title, I love it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Yum, edible histograms

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If we can't have pizza rules, can we at least have Doritos rules?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

This looks like a green parrot chopped in half lengthwise.:stare:

Panfilo has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Oct 7, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

This looks like a green parrot chopped in half lengthwise.

why are you like this

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pomp posted:

why are you like this

Look I just feel bad for the green parrot you will never, ever unsee. But who am I to judge, maybe there's cultures where bisected green parrot is a perfectly delicious pizza topping and we're all just being picky.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Panfilo posted:

Look I just feel bad for the green parrot you will never, ever unsee. But who am I to judge, maybe there's cultures where bisected green parrot is a perfectly delicious pizza topping and we're all just being picky.

that doesn't look like a parrot at all

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SteveHimmer/status/784128644587229184

This apple tastes like blood and stainless steel.

But it's still better than any red apple.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that's a deep cut.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveHimmer/status/784128644587229184

This apple tastes like blood and stainless steel.

But it's still better than any red apple.

No apple but Gala.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You can make your own aioli without eggs by crushing garlic cloves in a mortar with some coarse salt and lemon juice, then adding a spoonful of oil at a time until it emulsifies.

This is called toum! My favorite Lebanese restaurant will bring this to you with warm fresh pita and it's loving delicious. Also good on fries.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Just hook this to my veins.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dnešní protisklerotická dieta, Brokolicový nákyp s kuřecím masem, brambory, polévka květáková, salát.

Google translate says: Today has anti-diet, broccoli pudding with chicken, potatoes, cauliflower soup, salad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kowalski. How do I remember his name after so many years?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MariusLecter posted:

To this day I don't know what the horrible secret was that was revealed off-screen when Ren went to spank him :saddowns:

augias
Apr 7, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Because that episode is what got me, and every other ten year old watching, interested in drugs

Data Graham posted:

To this day I don't know what the horrible secret was that was revealed off-screen when Ren went to spank him :saddowns:
Ren was just moved at Kowalsk´s bare, child-like buttocks, and his paternal instincts blossomed from that.

augias has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Oct 7, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Tiggum posted:

Dnešní protisklerotická dieta, Brokolicový nákyp s kuřecím masem, brambory, polévka květáková, salát.

Google translate says: Today has anti-diet, broccoli pudding with chicken, potatoes, cauliflower soup, salad.

It's a specific medical diet that is designed to prevent hardening of the arteries through reduced cholesterol intake (note the tray, this person is in a hospital, likely recovering from a heart attack or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

twoday posted:

It's a specific medical diet that is designed to prevent hardening of the arteries through reduced cholesterol intake (note the tray, this person is in a hospital, likely recovering from a heart attack or something).
I thought best way to prevent heart disease was to eat buckets of lard though?