Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Former SNP MP and social media idiot charged with fraud:

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1368249-mp-natalie-mcgarry-charged-in-connection-with-fraud-offences/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Crossposting from ukmt: she's a loving idiot.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
The rise and continued fall of Natalie McGarry would make a good in depth article at some point. By all accounts she was someone who wasn't particularly bright but was an expert at being in all the right places at the right times. Especially as part of WFI where she managed to leverage herself as one of the key figureheads behind its success.

She's like an inept Frank Underwood and now the house of cards is crashing down around her.

Hopefully she'll just do the noble thing and resign so the SNP can put someone better in the seat (Yes, I'm being presumptuous but lol if you think Labour stand a chance in a by-election).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

Crossposting from ukmt: she's a loving idiot.

I agree with Pissflaps. Will she ever resign I wonder?

The dodgy nature of so much of the 2016 intake might be the only thing that can lead to a resurrection of ScotLab at this point

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Unfortunately the barrage of baseless SNP BAD stories will help poo poo like this slink away under the radar. Criticising the SNP is no longer effectively possible in a wider context because the onslaught of bullshit accusations have inured people to accurate critique.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It seems to me that this whole 'SNP BAD' thing is a way of writing off any criticism, regardless of merit.

Governments get criticised all the time. Imagine the reaction to someone trying to spin 'TORY BAD' as a thing.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Unfortunately the barrage of baseless SNP BAD stories will help poo poo like this slink away under the radar. Criticising the SNP is no longer effectively possible in a wider context because the onslaught of bullshit accusations have inured people to accurate critique.

I really don't think this is true at all. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any "baseless SNP BAD" stories - I certainly don't think the SNP has received more criticism in recent years, especially given it's been in government, than most other political parties. Quite the opposite in fact, since unlike 1999-2007 they don't take heat from criticism of government at Westminster, and the Scottish media (both print and broadcast, public and private) does a piss poor job of discussing and analysing the Parliament's work, resulting in little more than retyped press releases. I suspect you're conflating criticism of the SNP with criticisms of independence.

Criticism of the SNP is no longer effectively possible because SNP supporters seem - far moreso than any other mainstream party - to have internalised SNP support as a basis for identity, so criticism of their record is either ignored or hand-waved away as irrelevant, because it's the intangible identity that matters, not boring, tedious things like what they've actually done (and not done) with the tools of government

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

I really don't think this is true at all. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any "baseless SNP BAD" stories - I certainly don't think the SNP has received more criticism in recent years, especially given it's been in government, than most other political parties. Quite the opposite in fact, since unlike 1999-2007 they don't take heat from criticism of government at Westminster, and the Scottish media (both print and broadcast, public and private) does a piss poor job of discussing and analysing the Parliament's work, resulting in little more than retyped press releases. I suspect you're conflating criticism of the SNP with criticisms of independence.

Criticism of the SNP is no longer effectively possible because SNP supporters seem - far moreso than any other mainstream party - to have internalised SNP support as a basis for identity, so criticism of their record is either ignored or hand-waved away as irrelevant, because it's the intangible identity that matters, not boring, tedious things like what they've actually done (and not done) with the tools of government

I'm thinking of stuff like accusing them of charging expenses for business class flights (which don't exist between Edinburgh/Glasgow and London, and are actually on average lower than when Labour had the most MPs) or the collapsing schools being blamed on the SNP when it was previous Labour governments who hosed it up. Stuff like that. Small stories, day by day, constantly trying to discredit the SNP to the point of it becoming white noise.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I thought the blame for the schools was being placed on private contractors and the council?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I'm thinking of stuff like accusing them of charging expenses for business class flights (which don't exist between Edinburgh/Glasgow and London, and are actually on average lower than when Labour had the most MPs) or the collapsing schools being blamed on the SNP when it was previous Labour governments who hosed it up. Stuff like that. Small stories, day by day, constantly trying to discredit the SNP to the point of it becoming white noise.

You're banging on about 'SNP BAD' then literally blaming Labour for a structural fault in a school building.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

cargohills posted:

I thought the blame for the schools was being placed on private contractors and the council?

Yeah and a bunch of papers were blaming the SNP for allowing the contractors and councils to gently caress it up.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

So generally the blame's been spread across three different groups?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

cargohills posted:

So generally the blame's been spread across three different groups?

I think you were more right the first time. The SNP has received negligible blow back from that story. Not that they should have (and from what I understand, the council got undue criticism, since the contracts were all standard - it was the case of the private contractor doing a poo poo job) but coohoolin's undermining his own argument by using this as an example.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I'm... not sure the best takeaway from SNP affiliates being shitters is "well the real problem is that people criticize the SNP too much and that means people can't take criticism seriously!"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I thought 'SNP bad' came about from the standard scottish labour strategy of, when being interviewed, to take any question and immediately find the shortest possible path to attack the snp rather than talking about their own views/policies. Which got a bit tedious after a while. I'm not surprised that the hardline snp devotees have managed to ruin a phrase but.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

I thought 'SNP bad' came about from the standard scottish labour strategy of, when being interviewed, to take any question and immediately find the shortest possible path to attack the snp rather than talking about their own views/policies. Which got a bit tedious after a while. I'm not surprised that the hardline snp devotees have managed to ruin a phrase but.

That's what I meant. When the schools started collapsing a bunch of papers immediately tried to connect it to the SNP in any way, no matter how tenuous, and the connection they went with ended up being more damning for Labour in the end anyway if anything. It's the Slab and media approach of taking anything bad and trying to connect it to the SNP.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Going by facebook, it seems to have immediately descended into SNPBAD from the unionists, and it's all a conspiracy from a lot of the Yessers (not just SNP, the most vociferous defender I've noticed is a Green). So yeah, it seems to be getting tuned out like white noise.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not sure the content of your Facebook feed is a very representative sample.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Painkiller warning and steel revival

quote:

Campaigners have won a major victory in their fight against a series of proposed downgrades or closures of local NHS services after Holyrood's opposition parties united to inflict an "embarrassing defeat" on the Scottish government, says The Herald.

Wednesday was a "fantastic day" for Scotland's steel industry, according to the front page of The Scotsman, which quotes First Minister Nicola Sturgeon as she re-opened the Dalzell steel mill in North Lanarkshire.

The National leads with the same story and says "Scotland's steel industry was brought back to life" as the last major mothballed steelworks re-opened with plans to double its workforce.

Like many of Thursday's papers, the Times Scotland reports the results of a study which has found common painkillers such as ibuprofen increase the risk of heart problems by a fifth.

The Daily Record says that the study showed the drugs can increase your chances of being admitted to hospital with heart failure caused by abnormal rhythm, according to a study.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Daily Mail claims that four in five Britons have heartsprematurely aged by poor lifestyles.

Hibs and Rangers have been cleared of all blame over the Scottish Cup Final riot, writes the Scottish Sun. Football chiefs ruled that neither could be held responsible for the pitch rampage by "yob fans".

Under the headline "Big Sam Goes to Villa", the Daily Star leads with pictures of the shamed former England manager Sam Allerdyce standing outside his home.

The Press and Journal says a football coach who was killed in a horrific crashmay have been trapped in his car for up to 10 hours before being discovered by a passing farmer.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Coohoolin posted:

I'm thinking of stuff like accusing them of charging expenses for business class flights (which don't exist between Edinburgh/Glasgow and London, ...).

Yeah they do mate, I've taken them. It's not the same as a Club Europe/Club World BA setup on the plane but it's still an upgraded service on the plane & gets you through the airport a lot quicker. Lounge access as well which is the only thing flying has going for it over the train.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
In more SNP BAD news another SNP MP is being investigated by the police. Countdown until he's disowned by the party?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I approve of this irresponsible use of time travel tbh.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKT0-m8Oe0

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I, too, don't approve of Tom Hiddleston's decision to use this revolutionary technology as a means of starring in a synth pop video circa 1983

God help me, I'm agreeing with Sarah Vine

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Some good news:

quote:

Prejudice of all types 'falling across Scotland'

Prejudice based on age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity or religion is falling, a study for the Scottish government has suggested.

The report said 70% of Scots believed everything possible should be done to rid Scotland of prejudice of all kinds.

It showed a 50% drop since 2010 in those who would be unhappy about a relative in a same-sex relationship.

The full report is available here.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Missing masterpiece and Kardashian heist

quote:

The Herald leads with a new "hard-hitting" report which claims cancer patients are having to deal with delays in diagnosis, staffing shortages and a "chaotic" appointment system.

Secondary school teachers are to take industrial action over their "excessive workload", with nine out of ten union members backing the move, according to The Scotsman.

British troops will be free to take "difficult decisions" on the battlefield without fear of legal action when they come home, Theresa May will say, reports The Times Scotland.

The National says that National Trust for Scotland sources have confirmed that the newly-rediscovered painting by Italian master Raphael is not for sale, even though the likely £20m price tag could solve a lot of the Trust's money problems.

Kim Kardashian feared she was going to be raped, as "chilling" new details emerge from the break-in that left her tied up in the bathroom of a luxury Paris apartment as masked men stole millions of dollars worth of jewellery, according to the Scottish Daily Mail.

Meanwhile, The Scottish Sun says the reality TV star begged robbers as they held a gun to her head in her Paris home: "Please don't kill me, I have children."

The Daily Star of Scotland leads with the same story and says the masked gunmen responsible for the raid dressed as police officers before bursting into the star's luxury residence in the French capital.

The Scottish Daily Express leads with claims by Tory leader Ruth Davidson thatScots face a £1bn "surcharge" as the SNP "hammers" workers and firms with the highest taxes in Britain.

The start date has been pencilled in for April and it is now expected to be one of the longest trials in Scottish legal history, says the Daily Record as it reports on the latest legal dealings of former Rangers owner Craig Whyte.

Under the headline Gas Canister Causes Road Chaos, The Courier says two men were forced to "run for their lives" after a canister carrying highly flammable liquid cracked open in the back of their van as they travelled on one of the busiest stretches of the Kingsway.

No P&J again today, which as someone in the central belt not all that interested in the day to day proceedings of the energy industry doesn't much bother me, but I suspect those of you who live in the North east might disagree.

For those of you wondering, yes, the story on the national's front page is complete tosh: HIETRANS, HIE and the Highlands council commission a report which, surprising no one, claims that it would be great if a big shiny impressive-looking project was pursued on their watch, and would totally be worth it. Paid for by central government, obviously.

I haven't seen the army and the human rights act story discussed much in the UKMT (because someone mentioned space weapons and apparently that's up there with pissflaps/crisp chat in terms of thread fascinations), but are there any actual non-awful arguments or events that have occurred to support it? Because it just seems so intuitively terrible.

On a more optimistic note (that will hopefully get some positive coverage tomorrow, but will probably get ignored and/or yelled at by the express and Mail), the SNP are proposing to use electronic tags as an alternative to prison for a variety of offences.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

God, what idiots the SNP are. Don't they know most scots families don't even have £1bn in their accounts? This is going to create such a debt crisis, what are they thinking.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Angepain posted:

God, what idiots the SNP are. Don't they know most scots families don't even have £1bn in their accounts? This is going to create such a debt crisis, what are they thinking.

They aren't thinking anything. The story is based on "analysis" done by the conservative party, so I'd be highly sceptical of everything in it, especially the headline figures and the assumptions they're based on. It's nothing to do with new taxes; according to the telegraph, the "decision not to copy the UK Government’s plans to increase the threshold for the 40p rate of income tax to £50,000 by the end of this parliament is expected to generate the vast majority of the total."

I suspect the £1bn figure is more or less baseless fantasy using the most extreme assumptions and projections they felt they could get away with. However, if the SNP have any nous they could easily spin this as a positive; the Tories' own figures saying the SNP will, without raising taxes, have cleverly raised an extra billion pounds to invest or to combat "Tory austerity"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I know everyone in this thread might not always see eye to eye but I read this

and, well, it makes you think, doesn't it?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Do you have cronies Pissflaps?

I went to the theatre last night. They got Willie Rennie up on stage. It was distressing, he tried to adlib.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not sure what 'cronies' is in English so I can't answer that.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure what 'cronies' is in English so I can't answer that.

That word is actually not written in :airquote: scots :airquote:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crony?s=t

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Acaila posted:

Do you have cronies Pissflaps?

I went to the theatre last night. They got Willie Rennie up on stage. It was distressing, he tried to adlib.

It wasn't trainspotting was it? And I'm disappointed he didn't just say "Willie Rennie" while shyly grinning like a wee boy fluffing his lines at the school play

jre posted:

That word is actually not written in :airquote: scots :airquote:

That's what Pissflaps is "amusingly" drawing attention to.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

No, The Suppliant Women at the Lyceum. They're going all ancient Greek about it and having various politicians in to do the libations at the beginning. I swear to Dionysus though, as soon as they announced him, I sat there in desperate hoping he would say his name, which seems a vain hope considering he'd already be introduced by name. But no. Willie Rennie did not disappoint. I practically cheered.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Good news everyone, Scottish blood is inherently less racist

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/785126783163039745

though the Scottish part of that chart doesn't actually appear on the article linked, so I assume they threw it out in a later edit due to small sample size or something

e: well it's gone for me from the thumbnail as well, it showed "Scottish" with a slight lean to Hillary. now this post is even more pointless than it was to begin with

Angepain fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
SNP to discuss changing voting system from FTPT to STV for Holyrood.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My concern with Scottish politics at the minute is that the National Question looms over us to the point that we're not noticing how hosed we are either way. Either we stay in the UK and have to deal with the fallout of Brexit, or become independent and work out how to deal with our horrifying deficit which we're pretending doesn't exist. What worries me is that it's not really in anyone's political interest to say "everything is going to get worse regardless of what we do", but continuing to ignore that will likely mean the future gets even bleaker. I don't really know how to address this, and feel sad.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

vegetables posted:

My concern with Scottish politics at the minute is that the National Question looms over us to the point that we're not noticing how hosed we are either way. Either we stay in the UK and have to deal with the fallout of Brexit, or become independent and work out how to deal with our horrifying deficit which we're pretending doesn't exist. What worries me is that it's not really in anyone's political interest to say "everything is going to get worse regardless of what we do", but continuing to ignore that will likely mean the future gets even bleaker. I don't really know how to address this, and feel sad.

We push hard left Scottish politics to borrow like gently caress and nationalise the oil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

We push hard left Scottish politics to borrow like gently caress and nationalise the oil.

There is no oil. Revenues are down 97%. And good luck trying to nationalise what's left of the industry when you can't afford to pay for it and you can't afford to replace it. Maybe you can borrow some more from the banks that already aren't going to lend to you because you have no assets sufficient to secure what you owe now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you pulled down the rigs and scrapped the boats you could temporarily restart Scottish Steelmaking.