Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DJExile posted:

I wanted to laugh this off at first but thinking about it, I can absolutely picture someone in Portland genuinely believing that.

People I've met from Portland that are the kind of people that Portlandia makes fun of don't like that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Star Man posted:

People I've met from Portland that are the kind of people that Portlandia makes fun of don't like that show.

How would they even know? They don't own a TV.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

TheBoyBlunder posted:

If they don't win the shield or at least make the conference finals they shouldn't bring him back.

Naturally the FO will say "best points haul ever by a Rapids team" no matter what and we will get three more years of Mastronaccio.

:sigh:

As nice as it is to see the Rapids in the playoffs I still believe it's more due to the talent on the field than the coach. The team has coasted since Tim Howard arrived with almost no sign of adjustment by anyone, particularly the coaching staff. A good coach would notice and adjust. Pablo hasn't.

That all said some "up and coming" NCAA or d2 coach from who knows where would get the job, because Kronke doesn't want to spend on any sort of established manager. Hm...I'm. It sure which is worse now, more Mastronaccio or a new coach learning on the job.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if Pablo was in Denver at least while Howard is here. Probably part of the reason Howard came to town.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How would they even know? They don't own a TV.

Netflix or YouTube

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Star Man posted:

Netflix or YouTube

That was a joke. I'm assuming you're from Cascadia and that's why you didn't get it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shrapnig posted:

That was a joke. I'm assuming you're from Cascadia and that's why you didn't get it.

Colorado :v:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

The midwest's Cascadia?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Same loving difference.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
nice meltdown

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Star Man posted:

nice meltdown

Good one.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

shirts and skins posted:

And the Timbers lose! I had a Timbers fan try to convince me last night that Seattle is jealous of the national attention Portland gets due to Portlandia. :psyduck:

I mean Portlandia is a pretty good show with some regrettable sketches (and a loving fantastic theme song). The show's little portrayal of Seattle as cool weird people having roommate problems with white bros compared to Portland's earnest and kind of dorky hipsterism seems accurate. So no, not really.

You have an MLS Cup and a bigger section. That is much more annoying and enviable.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Seattle has The Killing and Portland has Grimm and that's about it.

Seattle/Washington actually has a lot of movies/films set there! Twin Peaks is probably the best, though. And it's all really just Vancouver in disguise anyway.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 3, 2016

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Nobody loving cares

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

foobardog posted:

You have an MLS Cup and a bigger section. That is much more annoying and enviable.

I am a Sounders fan! Formerly MechaFrogzilla (got on that gbs thread cause I hated that name).

Mostly bewildered that this person thought I even cared about national attention to my city or whatever. Who cares?

Anyway, Sounders win! Mostly spare parts gets the points in Vancouver. How in the gently caress?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

I am a Sounders fan! Formerly MechaFrogzilla (got on that gbs thread cause I hated that name).

Mostly bewildered that this person thought I even cared about national attention to my city or whatever. Who cares?

Anyway, Sounders win! Mostly spare parts gets the points in Vancouver. How in the gently caress?

Answer Vancouver is garbage

Also Valdez looked like crap, why does everyone online on SaH loving love this guy he is washed up as gently caress, and its not like he is a local guy who works hard he is a mercenary making :10bux: to be a worse option off the bench than Chad loving Barrett and Chad Barrett is garbage, but at least he gets paid accordingly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shirts and skins posted:

Playing the second half with ten men surely didn't help, even if it WAS Morales.

(I was out and didn't watch the game, I can only assume he deserved that red and can only hope he's replaced in the offseason: it's been a good few years but he's clearly done.)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Jack2142 posted:

Also Valdez looked like crap, why does everyone online on SaH loving love this guy

This guy has defenders? Goddamn I hate this fanbase.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Playing the second half with ten men surely didn't help, even if it WAS Morales.

(I was out and didn't watch the game, I can only assume he deserved that red and can only hope he's replaced in the offseason: it's been a good few years but he's clearly done.)

Elbowed one of our midfielders in the jaw (not violently, but obviously intentional) a couple seconds after the ball was clear. Ref had clear line of sight, didn't even try to be sneaky about it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

whypick1 posted:

Yeah its loving stupid, like he has played reasonably well the last couple of games prior to this... but in no way worth his contract or another (albeit much less) for next season. People seem to think target forwards who run around alot and don't score are top dollar commodities in this league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

He literally stole a goal from Evans tonight. He's gone from not scoring his own opportunities to actively taking opportunities from other people :psyduck:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Shout out to whoever pointed out that Landon Donovan has more goals than Valdez.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Don't loving remind me :bang: :bang: :bang:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Mostly of the "he's incredibly unlucky and is due" variety which, no, he just sucks rear end.

whypick1 posted:

He literally stole a goal from Evans tonight. He's gone from not scoring his own opportunities to actively taking opportunities from other people :psyduck:

He has done this several times this season. I struggle to think of a worse ratio of pay to performance in the league. Definitely gone next year.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

shirts and skins posted:

I remembered your avatar! But I was talking to the Timbers fans in this thread.

It's interesting, I doubt Schmetzer has done much, but honestly, I want him to get the job full time because there's a good core there, but a new coach could blow it all up. I think the division of responsibility between Lagerway and Schmetzer seems a good divide. Let the coach worry about getting players ready and tactics, not finding players.

But I'm sure it'll all blow up.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

shirts and skins posted:

Mostly of the "he's incredibly unlucky and is due" variety which, no, he just sucks rear end.

He has done this several times this season. I struggle to think of a worse ratio of pay to performance in the league. Definitely gone next year.

I hated him badly for missing so many chances this year, but now it's kind of interesting to see how he will gently caress up those chances. He seems to come up with new techniques for his failures each game.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta announced that they'll play home games in Georgia Tech's football stadium until Mercedes Benz Stadium is finished in July/August. So, no extended road trip to start the year.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

Atlanta announced that they'll play home games in Georgia Tech's football stadium until Mercedes Benz Stadium is finished in July/August. So, no extended road trip to start the year.

Good for them. These guys seem surprisingly competent. Oh God I think they're actually trying to build a real organization.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Do the people in this thread think Atlanta can maintain a solid support base beyond the first few years novelty/marketing blitz attendance bump? If I had to name a place in the US least interested in soccer it would likely be the southeast (ignoring southern florida). Atlanta also has four teams in the big four sports. Capitalizing on a massive market is nice and all but to me there are some big warning signs. What are Atlanta's financials like? Of all the expansion teams I think they'll need legit name players the most (of a higher caliber than Kenwyne Jones. He's good but how many casual soccer fans in the states could name him).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Seltzer posted:

Do the people in this thread think Atlanta can maintain a solid support base beyond the first few years novelty/marketing blitz attendance bump? If I had to name a place in the US least interested in soccer it would likely be the southeast (ignoring southern florida). Atlanta also has four teams in the big four sports. Capitalizing on a massive market is nice and all but to me there are some big warning signs. What are Atlanta's financials like? Of all the expansion teams I think they'll need legit name players the most (of a higher caliber than Kenwyne Jones. He's good but how many casual soccer fans in the states could name him).

Calgary and Winnipeg beg to differ.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seltzer posted:

It's easily one of the worst places I can think of for starting a team and its my poster-child of for the MLS Expansion FailAIDS.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta's finances should be fine, Arthur Blank has the resources and knows how to run a professional team. His ownership group will also make out quite well financially with revenue from the new stadium.

I think Atlanta United have a better chance of succeeding than people think. It is obviously a lovely pro sports city, historically, but I think there's more interest in soccer than people outside of the southeast realize. The stadium will be nice/new and is located directly on mass transit. I think the key is getting strong support from the Mexican soccer fans here, they sell out the Georgia Dome every time El Tri plays a friendly here. I don't really know how likely that is, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I get the impression that, for some inexplicable reason, Blank really wants this to succeed on a personal level, he's not pulling quite the usual NFL-owner shenanigans like, say, the Krafts or the Hunts. So I'm actually pretty optimistic about ATL managing to stick around.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CaptainYesterday posted:

Calgary and Winnipeg beg to differ.

I don't know why I thought they had a hockey team. I'll revise my statement to "Atlanta has three teams in the big three sports". Because seriously, hockey hardly matters south of the mason dixon

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

trem_two posted:

I think the key is getting strong support from the Mexican soccer fans here, they sell out the Georgia Dome every time El Tri plays a friendly here. I don't really know how likely that is, though.

Atlanta is only 4.7% latino which is very low for a major US city. Courting Mexicans/Latinos seems to work only for as long as mexican player x is playing for team y, then they go back to Liga MX, La Liga etc. Also I'm pretty sure El Tri would sell out the largest venue in Alaska if they played thare

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hope they fail horribly.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

trem_two posted:

I think the key is getting strong support from the Mexican soccer fans here, they sell out the Georgia Dome every time El Tri plays a friendly here. I don't really know how likely that is, though.

Those guys Travel from significant distances they don't actually live in Atlanta. Atlanta has like one of the smallest hispanic populations of any city in the U.S.

By % Anchorage Alaska has more Mexicans than Atlanta. Even poo poo-holes like Des Moines have more hispanic people.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Atlanta is a garbage city and everyone I know who lives there has at least a 2 hour round trip commute. I don't think the stadium being on public transit is gonna be helpful at all.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

Atlanta is a garbage city and everyone I know who lives there has at least a 2 hour round trip commute. I don't think the stadium being on public transit is gonna be helpful at all.

Stadium being on public transit is immensely helpful. A 45 minute train ride turns into a 45 minute tailgate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Atlanta is maybe the worst sports town in America. AtlUtd has a tough market to break into

I hope they do well, but they need to win basically immediately

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tigren posted:

Stadium being on public transit is immensely helpful. A 45 minute train ride turns into a 45 minute tailgate.

As long as you're allowed to drink on the train.

NJTransit 4 lyfe.

You know, when they're not crashing into stations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

As long as you're allowed to drink on the train.

NJTransit 4 lyfe.

You know, when they're not crashing into stations.

Just pour your beer into a coffee cup. Go to a 7/11 and buy the biggest cup they have, along with a 6 pack of whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

binge crotching posted:

Just pour your beer into a coffee cup. Go to a 7/11 and buy the biggest cup they have, along with a 6 pack of whatever.

Or I could just drink openly on the train because it's allowed.

Fucks sake, can Seattle do anything right?

• Locked thread