Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The one in Dual Destinies also has like Marlon Rimes instead of Larry Butz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
DLC stuff It was alright. I actually felt pretty bad for Sorin cause the whole memory thing sounds really hosed up, and I even had some amount of sympathy for Pierce before his breakdown. I really didn't like the defendant though, the whole "bodily fluds with something you use to cook" thing grossed me the hell out. Really glad Larry didn't end up with her like I was expecting though, since they seem pretty similar.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's definitely not, especially when you take the DLC into consideration where Phoenix pokes fun at Edgeworth for being single. Not that Nick isn't, but when has not having a leg to stand on ever stopped him?

Interesting some see it that way, because my sister felt a lot of the early back and forth (DLC Court Day 1)comes off like Phoenix and Edgeworth had a huge argument post-6-5/prior to this case and are sniping at one another, especially with the bit about the flowers. But that's why:

meristem posted:

Relationships are best left to fanfiction. That way, everyone can have theirs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

So I just replayed AA2 (well, case 4), and I forget, does the "Nick" Shelley calling card Franziska took actually come up when she returns in T&T? I don't remember it doing so.

In the anime, she leaves the country with it and says something like she'll give it to him when she's on his level as a lawyer or words to the effect, so I guess that's the closure?

She sucks forever and never got on his level.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Larry was fine in 1 and his first appearance in 3. In 3-5, he was getting there, but it ended with him realizing that maybe he needed to change himself.

THEN INVESTIGATIONS HAPPENED and multiple characters just kinda got flanderized to hell.

Didnt investigations happen before 3? So that would make sense if he was still a oval office.

Either way, at least Larry sort of learned to draw!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, DLC was pretty weak. It's weird as hell that the most likable, interesting character was the killer.

I don't think the thing with Sorin's memory was well-foreshadowed.

and really, the case seemed to be mostly a nostalgia/fanservice thing, bringing back Larry doin' Larry things, Edgeworth being Edgeworth, and Maya being Maya. Well, I mean, Edgeworth's behavior is pretty nuanced, especially given that the frame-up on Ellen was pretty drat effective. I think it's even implied that Pierce pressured the Prosecutor's Office to push the case under the rug just to get Edgeworth on it. Edgeworth says directly that part of why he's pursuing the case so fiercely is out of resistance to that pressure. I think the writing for Edgeworth was one of the few things that wasn't off in the DLC.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Night Blade posted:

Didnt investigations happen before 3? So that would make sense if he was still a oval office.

Either way, at least Larry sort of learned to draw!

It takes place a month after 3-5!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Waffleman_ posted:

Because any longer and they'd have to write around Edgeworth's trusted rival being disbarred! :downsgun:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And over the span of like 2 days! (not including the flashback case)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Because any longer and they'd have to write around Edgeworth's trusted rival being disbarred! :downsgun:

The weirdest thing is that they totally did, too. Phoenix is never mentioned by name, and only referred to when absolutely necessary, so you can't possibly infer any plot points from his games at all. But then they also went placed it before the disbarring because ???

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Case 4 Someone FINALLY tells Sadman to stuff his "the accused is guilty cuz I SAID SOOOOOO" Khurainese bullshit, and of course it was Blackquill :allears: That man can do no wrong. Well, mostly no wrong.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Danaru posted:

Case 4 Someone FINALLY tells Sadman to stuff his "the accused is guilty cuz I SAID SOOOOOO" Khurainese bullshit, and of course it was Blackquill :allears: That man can do no wrong. Well, mostly no wrong.

Yes it felt so good and yes of course he is the best.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I liked the DLC, but share a few of the same complaints as other people have posted, but it wasn't half as dumb as a lot of the other things in this game.

I liked the memory twist with Soren, and I liked Pierce and the stuff with Selena's death. I thought the final bit of evidence was dumb, and there wasn't too much that was satisfying with trying to prove Pierce did it, but whatever. I liked the feel of the returning characters, Edgeworth being the prosecutor actually felt natural instead of stupid and obviously for fanservice like 5-5. I mean, this case was made for fanservice but it didn't feel out of place. All the poo poo with Soren's jetpack was funny as hell too, probably the funniest visual character gag in this game, at least for me. Though, the page tearing paper airplane animation, and all of Ellen's crying animations took too long and got old pretty fast. Also God Bless Trucy for keeping Athena busy the whole time.

Momomo posted:

DLC stuff I really didn't like the defendant though, the whole "bodily fluds with something you use to cook" thing grossed me the hell out.

This is by far the strangest complaint I've ever read.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

mabels big day posted:

This is by far the strangest complaint I've ever read.

Hey, I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan as a crying pan!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
A

Suspicious Cook posted:

Hey, I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan as a crying pan!

Argh, Brock pls

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mabels big day posted:

Though, the page tearing paper airplane animation, and all of Ellen's crying animations took too long and got old pretty fast.
It could have been worse. HANNNNNHHHHHHHHHH.

Worst part of replaying the end of 5 after I finished 6.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I still say that Starbuck must be related to Sister Bikini somehow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Raxivace posted:

Apollo is a nice guy.

By comparison, Nick is such a douche when it comes to his internal monologues.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

By comparison, Nick is such a douche when it comes to his internal monologues.

Apollo is often more outwardly cranky though. So it balances out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So yeah DLC case ended up basically about what I expected

However what I did not expect was Sephiroth's wonderful medical themed breakdown animations and attitude. I actually love how elaborate the villains have gotten

All in all, it would have been a solid case 2 or 3 in any other Phoenix Wright game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
1-3 is the only case in the old trilogy to have Phoenix and Maya facing off against Edgeworth. Every other case has had a different assistant or prosecutor.

E: Oh, and I guess day two of 1-2. That makes my observation less exciting.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DLC owned, it solved my main complaint about AA6 which is that we never got Phoenix and Maya just loving around and talking about dumb crap. And that's most of this case. So 10/10.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

meristem posted:

Relationships are best left to fanfiction. That way, everyone can have theirs.

I rewatched bits and pieces of AAI2 in the interim before the DLC, so I was probably cringing more than most. I would really prefer if they course corrected to the more emotionally intelligent Edgeworth from AAI2 than that mildly autistic trope from the DLC, although I don't have high hopes on this.

also what where do you get "mildly autistic" from "not wanting to get married", Edgey can be plenty emotional he's just not that into love.

His only wife is THE TRUTH.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Edgeworth hasn't really moved past his first love, Wendy Oldbag, passing away.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lol if u think oldbag is capable of dying

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

lol if u think oldbag is capable of dying

Anything is possible with the power of love.

That's why Edgeworth was so against it in the DLC.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm still in Case 3, so I haven't been following this thread that closely, but I love this game. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the Ace Attorney games (not so much the second one, but I loved the fifth one which apparently people don't like), and, so far, I think this one will be in the running for my favorite one yet (assuming it doesn't fall apart later).

One thing I love about this series is that time passes. Ace Attorney 1 came out 15 years before Ace Attorney 6...and Ace Attorney 6 is set 11 years after Ace Attorney 1. Sure, time isn't as fast as real life, but Phoenix is a 34-year-old established lawyer! Maya is a 28-year-old cleric! Ema is 27! They've grown up! Video game characters don't do that, for the most part. It's interesting to see how they're written into a different stage of life.

BTW, my one big complaint with 5 spills over into this one. What was Capcom thinking making Athena only two years older than Trucy when they're clearly supposed to be significantly further apart?

Also, (Ace Attorney 4 spoilers) In case 2 of AA6, Apollo comments on Lamiroir sending Trucy flowers. Apollo still doesn't know that Lamiroir is his and Trucy's mother, or that he and Trucy are siblings. :psyduck:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Patter Song posted:

BTW, my one big complaint with 5 spills over into this one. What was Capcom thinking making Athena only two years older than Trucy when they're clearly supposed to be significantly further apart?

Also (regarding 5), holy poo poo Pearl. Only a year Athena's junior, older than Trucy, and she hasn't been sheltered since, what, AA2? And still acts like a clueless kid.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Not changing anything about Pearl sucks. She said she really wanted long hair when she got older, 8~ years ago. Gave up on her dream?

They need to not be afraid to change classic designs.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Not changing anything about Pearl sucks. She said she really wanted long hair when she got older, 8~ years ago. Gave up on her dream?

Were they too worried that nobody would recognize her without the stupid hair loops? The second one on the bottom row would be a nice callback to Maya.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe she should get into some of that heavy metal music and turn into a metal head!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kazy posted:

Were they too worried that nobody would recognize her without the stupid hair loops? The second one on the bottom row would be a nice callback to Maya.

i think the third on the top looks the best

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I actually love that Pearl is still just little Pearls. I am kinda disappointed that Maya isn't even dressed slightly different, though. Didn't some of the promo art show her with like a cloak or something?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Like in all Ace Attorney games, I am inspecting literally everything. There's a lot of heartstring-tugging when you inspect Charley and Apollo and Athena talk about how much Phoenix values Charley. Charley is the last holdover of Fey and Co Law Offices and was present for the meteoric rise and meteoric fall of Wright and Co Law Office, and has watched over the Wright Anything Agency since its inception.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

checksin posted:

This game fuckin rules

I changed Phoenix's costume to the cool 90s silk tiger shirt while loving around in the options. It is the finest attire possible.

I don't even want the suit back. Let me just play as Furio Tigre from now on.

The DLC was really boring. I usually blaze through most cases, but this one just didn't grab me. However, it was basically redeemed in the final stretch by the x-rays of Phoenix and Edgeworth. Phoenix should really get those tumors checked out, though. There is no point in covering them up with hair. :ohdear:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I think these Phoenix games would be a lot more interesting if the relationships developed more over time. The characters age but how they relate is just status quo. Phoenix should have kids with one of these leading ladies by now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gameko posted:

I think these Phoenix games would be a lot more interesting if the relationships developed more over time. The characters age but how they relate is just status quo. Phoenix should have kids with one of these leading ladies by now.

Nick has enough kids already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got the AA6 artbook at Kinokuniya today! I love this character concept art! Bonnie was at one point going to be a wolf and at least one concept for Nahyuta was a woman. And one of Rayfa's costume concepts is straight up Shantae.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gameko posted:

He has Iris at least even though she is still in jail (maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Electric Phantasm posted:

He has Iris at least even though she is still in jail (maybe?)

Nah her crime was on the level of like, Adrian, and she got out the next year.