Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Shepherd shouted at Bryant, and then according to witnesses Shepherd was somehow, in what I guess we could call the ultimate example of defensive driving, knocked onto the hood of Bryant's car. Bryant then continued to exercise his right of self defence by accelerating his car and veering across a lane of traffic to slam the side of his car into some mailboxes and fire hydrants, resulting in Shepherd's death.

Even if we accept the idea that Bryant driving his car into someone and then accelerating to knock them off again was all an attempt to defend himself, it hardly seems proportionate to somebody who at most is alleged to have grabbed at him and to have spoken aggressively. If some man accosted me on the street and grabbed my arm I'm not allowed to stab him in the gut of shoot him in an act of "self defence", which seems to be roughly the equivalent of driving into him with a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

if I knock on someones window and yell at them for parking in a bike lane, is that over or under the line for vehicular manslaughter as self defence? just wanna check with the legal experts itt

It depends on whether or not you have a Harvard law degree and whether or not you were or are a sitting member of government.

Look at how Gordon Campbell got off on his drunk driving charge.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
One time, a kid on a bike hit my car.

Then she was like, "whatever," and took off.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

flakeloaf posted:

Serious post: did Bryant know his history at that time, and if so, how?

The prior facts are admissible to show reasonableness of the defenses claims of aggression under a decision known as _Scopelliti_, regardless of the defendant knowing or not.

Basically if I say 'flakeloaf was drunk and attacked me with no provocation', I can use prior behavior of your I was unaware of to show that my statement would be more reasonable than otherwise.

"Although evidence of previous acts of violence by the deceased, not known to the accused, is not relevant to show the reasonableness of the accused's apprehension of an impending attack, where self-defence is raised, evidence of the deceased's character for violence is admissible to show the probability of the deceased having been the aggressor and to support the accused's evidence that he was attacked by the deceased."

Given that Sheppard fits this like a glove, his history of aggression and propensity for violence pretty much made the Crown admit they had no real prospect of a conviction.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 6, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
is everyone also forgetting the part where he wrote a book about it and profited immensely

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

also are we going to convienently forget that bryant had a drinking problem, was returning from a celebratory dinner, and never got a breathalyzer or impairement test and we have aboslutely no way of knowing if he was driving drunk which would basically explain everything

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQ69STzhf0

Here's the video. We can clearly see that Bryant is engaging in a hit and run and Sheppard was clearly trying to stop him.

Only a sociopath would defend the decision to run Sheppard's head into a fire hydrant after failing to do so with trees and a mailbox.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

The prior facts are admissible to show reasonableness of the defenses claims under a decision known as _Scopelliti_, regardless of the defendant knowing or not.

Basically if I say 'flakeloaf was drunk and attacked me with no provocation', I can use prior behavior of your I was unaware of to show that my statement would be more reasonable than otherwise.

"Although evidence of previous acts of violence by the deceased, not known to the accused, is not relevant to show the reasonableness of the accused's apprehension of an impending attack, where self-defence is raised, evidence of the deceased's character for violence is admissible to show the probability of the deceased having been the aggressor and to support the accused's evidence that he was attacked by the deceased."

Given that Sheppard fits this like a glove, his history of aggression and propensity for violence pretty much made the Crown admit they had no real prospect of a conviction.

Can you identify where this became justifiable self defense:

Wikipedia posted:

According to Bryant his vehicle stalled when he stopped behind Sheppard. His car then lurched forward from his attempts to restart the vehicle which brought the car close to or in contact with Sheppard’s tire. Expert analysis of security camera footage confirmed the car’s headlights dimmed in a manner consistent with this explanation and that the vehicle had a “sensitive and light clutch”. The Crown also determined that no damage to the bicycle’s rear wheel rim was evident. Witnesses said that Sheppard confronted Bryant and his wife “loudly and aggressively” while they “remained passive.” The car’s next movement resulted in Sheppard ending up on the hood of the car. The car travelled 30 feet, lasted 2.5 second, the car’s speed was between 9 and 13.4 km/h and brakes were applied after 1 second. According to Bryant he was looking down trying to restart the vehicle and applied the brakes when he saw Sheppard on the hood. The crown determined that there was no evidence Sheppard was seriously injured at this point and there was not enough evidence to justify a separate charge based upon Bryant’s driving to this point.[33]

The fatality occurred when Bryant drove away and Sheppard grabbed hold of the side of the vehicle.[29][34][35] The car veered into the opposite lanes, Sheppard's body struck a fire hydrant knocking him off the car and his head hit the pavement.[31] There were witnesses who said it appeared Bryant had attempted to knock Sheppard off the car by striking him against trees and mailboxes.[citation needed] There were also witness reports that Sheppard reached into Bryant's convertible and grabbed Bryant or the steering wheel.[28] [36] Bryant parked his car around the corner and called 911. Sheppard later died of his injuries in hospital.[37][38][39]

You're saying Bryant was justified in accelerating his car out of self defense because an angry man was on his hood?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OSI bean dip posted:

Only a sociopath would defend the decision to run Sheppard's head into a fire hydrant after failing to do so with trees and a mailbox.

You can't even get basic details right. Did you even read the court docs?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

Can you identify where this became justifiable self defense:

You're saying Bryant was justified in accelerating his car out of self defense because an angry man was on his hood?

Actually at that point Sheppard had jumped onto the driver door and was partway inside the car*. At that point I think a reasonable person might conclude Bryant trying to drive away was justified.

* demonstrated by forensic evidence

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

It depends on whether or not you have a Harvard law degree and whether or not you were or are a sitting member of government.

Look at how Gordon Campbell got off on his drunk driving charge.

I mean, I'm a cute white guy with great hair, I realize that goes a long way with Torontonians

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Big takeaway here is Marie Henein is a good criminal lawyer. If I ever get charged with something I hope I can afford her.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

THC posted:

I mean, I'm a cute white guy with great hair, I realize that goes a long way with Torontonians

Bryant's actually an rear end in a top hat; I know someone who went to law school with him.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

shes a real horrible person

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RBC posted:

congratulations everyone on defending a real life mr burns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Akpyxt1iJM

Way to pick the inferior Simpsons clip. Suburban culture in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HESH8U1B4o

Trapick posted:

Big takeaway here is Marie Henein is a good criminal lawyer.

:agreed:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

Purely for defending criminals, or something more than that? I don't have a problem with good criminal defense lawyers.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Trapick posted:

Big takeaway here is Marie Henein is a good criminal lawyer. If I ever get charged with something I hope I can afford her.

Laura Miller is using her firm funded by mostly by anonymous donations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

RBC posted:

Instate the Cardassian criminal justice system, imo. A defense lawyer's only role should be to help the accused to eloquently concede the wisdom of the State.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

Purely for defending criminals, or something more than that? I don't have a problem with good criminal defense lawyers.

for defending the privileged rich and making obscene amounts of money from it

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

for defending the privilidged rich and making obscene amounts of money from it
Would it be better if she defended the rich for free?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

thats a stupid thing to say

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Our law system should mirror our health system

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

RBC posted:

Not exclusively:

'Perhaps unexpectedly, another former client and ardent fan, is Jane Doe — the well-known activist and head of a coalition of groups focused on violence against women. Henein represented the Feminist Coalition pro bono in the Bedford case at the Supreme Court, which led to the high court striking down prostitution laws.'

Attacking a defense lawyer for defending their client. Used to be Eddie Greenspan, then Clayton Ruby or James Lockyer, now Marie Henein.

How trite.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

thats a stupid thing to say
Even rich assholes deserve a fair trial and quality representation. I have zero problem with them paying out the rear end for it. I'd also be fine with Marie Henein paying a bunch of income tax to better fund public defenders.

Do you really think defense attorneys are horrible for defending criminals? That's a pretty stupid thing to say.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

Even rich assholes deserve a fair trial and quality representation. I have zero problem with them paying out the rear end for it. I'd also be fine with Marie Henein paying a bunch of income tax to better fund public defenders.

Do you really think defense attorneys are horrible for defending criminals? That's a pretty stupid thing to say.

I never said that

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

I never said that

RBC posted:

So is it just defending rich people that makes her horrible, the fact that she makes money for it, or both together somehow?

Is any lawyer who defends a rich person horrible? I've really very confused by your logic here.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

So is it just defending rich people that makes her horrible, the fact that she makes money for it, or both together somehow?

Is any lawyer who defends a rich person horrible? I've really very confused by your logic here.

Nope, I am talking about her specifically. I thought that was very clear. Apparently not. Anything else from that one sentance reply you don't understand that you need me to explain?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

Nope, I am talking about her specifically. I thought that was very clear. Apparently not. Anything else from that one sentance reply you don't understand that you need me to explain?
Nope, I think I've got you all figured out, thanks.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trapick posted:

I doubt even she could defend how dumb this post is!!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually at that point Sheppard had jumped onto the driver door and was partway inside the car*. At that point I think a reasonable person might conclude Bryant trying to drive away was justified.

* demonstrated by forensic evidence

Bryant hit him with his car. I guess it's possible that after being struck Shepherd was then "trying to get into the car" though it's equally possible he was hanging on for dear life to try and avoid being pulled under the wheels of the car he was just hit by. Either way, Bryant hit him with the car and then accelerated the car, crossed a lane of traffic, and slammed the side of the car into a mailbox. He didn't just drive away he maneuvered the car in such a way that the guy holding onto it would be crushed. This is like stabbing or shooting somebody because they grabbed you. If it weren't for the specific fact that he's a powerful man with a good defense attorney driving a car and if his victim weren't a mentally ill cyclist then the legal system most likely wouldn't have accepted that crushing someone with heavy machinery was a proportionate response to them shouting at you and possibly trying to grab your arm.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Rust Martialis posted:

Attacking a defense lawyer for defending their client. Used to be Eddie Greenspan, then Clayton Ruby or James Lockyer, now Marie Henein.

How trite.

It's new to you that people hate lawyers? Have you MET the law?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

Bryant hit him with his car. I guess it's possible that after being struck Shepherd was then "trying to get into the car" though it's equally possible he was hanging on for dear life to try and avoid being pulled under the wheels of the car he was just hit by. Either way, Bryant hit him with the car and then accelerated the car, crossed a lane of traffic, and slammed the side of the car into a mailbox. He didn't just drive away he maneuvered the car in such a way that the guy holding onto it would be crushed. This is like stabbing or shooting somebody because they grabbed you. If it weren't for the specific fact that he's a powerful man with a good defense attorney driving a car and if his victim weren't a mentally ill cyclist then the legal system most likely wouldn't have accepted that crushing someone with heavy machinery was a proportionate response to them shouting at you and possibly trying to grab your arm.

He only got off on this defence because he was an Attorney General at one point and therefore his friends were not interested in seeing one of "their own" go to jail for killing someone. Money and connections are the only reasons why Bryant did not end up in jail.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

No offense but you're a bit wrong on the series of events. Bryant did hit him and he landed on the hood, then Bryant stopped, and Sheppard landed on the road. Then Sheppard got up, threw something on the hood (his backpack or the like) and ran around to the drivers door and tried to grab Bryant or get in the car or the like.

Once Sheppard did this (pretty loving justified if you ask me at this safe distance), Bryant drove off with Sheppard partly in the car. Bryant denies swerving to knock him off (natch) and the forensics guys say the car never touched the curb or went onto the sidewalk. After 100m or so Sheppard's torso hit the plug of the hydrant, knocking him off the car, and his head struck the curb or the pavement, causing a fatal brain stem injury.

You kinda had it but missed the bit Sheppard got up and went around the car. In no case did he deserve to die, fwiw. All I am doing is saying a reasonable person could indeed claim driving off was self-defense, and claims that Sheppard was the aggressor (in legal terms) are pretty reasonable given his habits and the fact he was a BAC of 184. Bryant had a plausible defense, so the Crown withdrew as they had no real prospect of a conviction.

The wildly differing eyewitness accounts are fascinating: some said he hit the curb, others he drove on the sidewalk, others he didn't, one said he got up to high speed, others didn't.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Guy DeBorgore posted:

It's new to you that people hate lawyers? Have you MET the law?

Yeah, I worked in 180 Dundas when the Morin Inquiry was going on. I saw Lockyer often. Shook his hand. I dated a woman a couple times who defends accused terrorists.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

What blows my mind about the michael bryant case is it never even got to trial.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Money, connections and acting in justified self-defense are the only reasons why Bryant did not end up in jail.

FTFY

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

RBC posted:

What blows my mind about the michael bryant case is it never even got to trial.

Having no reasonable prospect of a conviction can cause that.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RBC posted:

Okay, so according to you, it is exclusively and only Heinein that gets poo poo for "for defending the privileged rich and making obscene amounts of money from it", and every single other criminal defense lawyer who "defend[s] the privileged rich and making obscene amounts of money from it" is off the hook?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Having no reasonable prospect of a conviction can cause that.

So can prosecuting someone who you personally identify and sympathize with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

The case is peculiar because the defense showed all their evidence to the prosecution before the trial and he used the information to act as a judge and throw out the case - based on the defenses evidence.

Shouldn't that have been left up to an actual judge in a courtroom?