Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Mad? I'm not mad, I'm just not going to reward them with what they want from me, just like I'm not going to reward Mrs. Clinton, who I absolutely do not hate, with what she wants from me either.

And me voting for Trump? How did you come to that? Last I checked I will have four options, one of them not terrible, in November.

lmao

Voting third party is the ultimate cop out. You get the same level of ineffectiveness as not voting but you get to be smug about it.

Please tell me which of the two third party candidates is not terrible? Is it Jill "I have no convictions so I pander to anti-vaxx nutjobs, also Putin is a good guy" Stein, or Gary "Privatize everything, I'm not actually a republican I promise" Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

BiohazrD posted:

lmao

Voting third party is the ultimate cop out. You get the same level of ineffectiveness as not voting but you get to be smug about it.

So you're saying you're okay with the mediocre nonchoice presented by the two-party system and happily denigrate anyone who desires a better option. Amazing.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

TomViolence posted:

So you're saying you're okay with the mediocre nonchoice presented by the two-party system and happily denigrate anyone who desires a better option. Amazing.

This point would work better if the best choice weren't Hillary Clinton

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

BiohazrD posted:

This point would work better if the best choice weren't Hillary Clinton

The best choice is shooting yourself. The lesser evil is Hillary Clinton.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

TomViolence posted:

It's a bad day for everyone the day you're getting dunked on by horselord. Good job America.

HorseLord isn't dunking on anyone tho.

America is bad because their military actions kill people!

Assad is fine, actually it's his right to ethnically cleanse his nation

:irony:

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

HorseLord isn't dunking on anyone tho.

American is bad because they're military actions kill people!

Assad is a fine, actually its his right to ethnically cleanser his nation

here's what i actually said

HorseLord posted:

what i like about this thread is how it confirmed my long term suspicions that the democrats are a neocon party now

just straight up openly defending and advocating wars of aggression against other countries in order to export your own politics and values onto it, while claiming that it was for their own good because you just know, you just know that you're right and you have to bring civilisation to the savages or w/e

and when the smoke clears and it turns out you turned a moderately prosperous country into a dangerous and de-developed failed state ruled by warlords you can just go "Well we had to do something to bring them jesus/democracy! it just accidentally went a bit wrong!" and queue up the next involuntary recipient of your kindness

it's almost as if the moralising about democracy and freedom is a cover for something, hmmm

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
you would think that if neocons genuinely were doing all their wars out of a genuine desire to make life better for people, they'd notice that every attempt they've made has made things worse rather than better, and stop

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
that'd require sincerity and self reflection though

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Look, as americans, we can't do anything about the abuses of our own government. We're just in no position to do anything about it so why even bother talking about it. However what we *can* do is save brown people from the oppression of their own government by unconditionally supporting our military's invasion of their country.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

All I'm getting out of this is that horselord lusts for death, otherwise he wouldn't be so eager to carry water for Qaddafi and Assad.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

All I'm getting out of this is that horselord lusts for death, otherwise he wouldn't be so eager to carry water for Qaddafi and Assad.

the one lusting for death is the one who defends and advocates wars that cause more deaths to happen than if there wasnt a war

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Don't vote, please.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

HorseLord posted:

the one lusting for death is the one who defends and advocates wars that cause more deaths to happen than if there wasnt a war

So you're explicitly pro intra state ethnic cleansing?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

So you're explicitly pro intra state ethnic cleansing?

We had to destroy the village to save the village.

Also, we had to float the idea of looting the village's oil reserves to pay for the process.

There Was No Ethical Alternative.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

I want a dyke for president. I want a person with aids for president and I want a fag for vice president and I want someone with no health insurance and I want someone who grew up in a place where the earth is so saturated with toxic waste that they didn’t have a choice about getting leukemia. I want a president that had an abortion at sixteen and I want a candidate who isn’t the lesser of two evils and I want a president who lost their last lover to aids, who still sees that in their eyes every time they lay down to rest, who held their lover in their arms and knew they were dying. I want a president with no airconditioning, a president who has stood on line at the clinic, at the dmv, at the welfare office and has been unemployed and layed off and sexually harrassed and gay-bashed and deported. I want someone who has spent the night in the tombs and had a cross burned on their lawn and survived rape. I want someone who has been in love and been hurt, who respects sex, who has made mistakes and learned from them. I want a black woman for president. I want someone with bad teeth and an attitude, someone who has eaten that nasty hospital food, someone who crossdresses and has done drugs and been in therapy. I want someone who has committed civil disobedience. And I want to know why this isn’t possible. I want to know why we started learning somewhere down the line that a president is always a clown: always a john and never a hooker. Always a boss and never a worker, always a liar, always a thief and never caught.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
I have a question for the pro-Hillary crowd:

What would it take for you to change your mind about supporting her? Like, if it was fully proven that she was involved in rigging the primary, would that be enough? Or would you just handwave it away, saying "but LBJ did it, it isn't a big deal".

I have seen an awful lot of "but this person did it too, and they were much worse" in response to any criticism of her.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BiohazrD posted:

lmao

Please tell me which of the two third party candidates is not terrible? Is it Jill "I have no convictions so I pander to anti-vaxx nutjobs, also Putin is a good guy" Stein, or Gary "Privatize everything, I'm not actually a republican I promise" Johnson.

That's fun. Give Trump and Clinton some fun air quote middle names too, please. That's a great way for grown ups to talk about politics. Can the Clinton one be about "bringing superpredators to heel?" Because she said that once and a thing someone said once is immortalized in the digital age, no take backs, even if your views evolve!

Anyway, not voting third party is being complicit with accepting two terrible choices and the lovely status quo so I don't know what to tell you, agree to disagree I guess.

The topic is "what's the deal with people who hate Hillary Clinton" and I've said my piece about it. I guess one could say I hate her, if one likes making wild tangential accusations which would probably get a one a good campaign job these days? The Record must be Corrected.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

J Corp posted:

What would it take for you to change your mind about supporting her? Like, if it was fully proven that she was involved in rigging the primary, would that be enough? Or would you just handwave it away, saying "but LBJ did it, it isn't a big deal".

I have seen an awful lot of "but this person did it too, and they were much worse" in response to any criticism of her.

"What if all my paranoid delusions were true, huh?! What then?!?!"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BiohazrD posted:

lmao

Neither, there's a better way!

Jeb!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

J Corp posted:

If Hillary reneged on her promise to castrate every man in the United States and turn it into some sort of reverse Gor matriarchy I'd drop my support in a second.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Lemming posted:

"What if all my paranoid delusions were true, huh?! What then?!?!"

I'm not implying she did, I'm just asking if there is literally anything that could get you to change your opinion of her from perfect. Because when people bring up that she is fully committed to continuing to drop bombs on whoever happens to be under the drone at the moment, the response is "BUT OBAMA/BUSH" instead of "Yeah, that's a pretty lovely thing about her"

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

America is great and brings freedom and democracy to the world. Corruption in government and abuses of power and rigged elections can only happen in places that are not America, and it's laughable to imply that they could be true here. America is exceptional because it is the best. We need to have faith and trust in our great leaders who have the same last name as the previous great leaders, because they know what is best for us and they tell us the truth. Support are troops. Iraq had WMDs. The russians are out to get us. I am very progressive liberal person.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bob le Moche posted:

America is great and brings freedom and democracy to the world. Corruption in government and abuses of power and rigged elections can only happen in places that are not America, and it's laughable to imply that they could be true here. America is exceptional because it is the best. We need to have faith and trust in our great leaders who have the same last name as the previous great leaders, because they know what is best for us and they tell us the truth. Support are troops. Iraq had WMDs. The russians are out to get us. I am very progressive liberal person.

The choice is obvious for True Liberals, Clinton 2016! Hillary never stopped, will not stop, cannot stop fighting for us. Fighting for American Freedom, actually.

With drones.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

J Corp posted:

I'm not implying she did, I'm just asking if there is literally anything that could get you to change your opinion of her from perfect. Because when people bring up that she is fully committed to continuing to drop bombs on whoever happens to be under the drone at the moment, the response is "BUT OBAMA/BUSH" instead of "Yeah, that's a pretty lovely thing about her"

Nobody thinks she's perfect.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

No see if the candidate is literally not 100% perfect you're accepting the terrible status quo. That's why they are voting for noted perfect candidate.....uhhhhh, who again?

Thanks for the title, but it's spelled "content". This thread is the best

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 6, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

This year is the year that should prompt some soul-searching at least. Hillary "isn't perfect" and maybe folk should start wondering why things "aren't perfect." You know, rather than complacently continuing the same old patterns of thought thinking that somehow by electing the same shitbags over and over again that HOPE and CHANGE are coming because your president is black or female now, nevermind that it's just white power with a black face or patriarchy with a uterus.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TomViolence posted:

This year is the year that should prompt some soul-searching at least. Hillary "isn't perfect" and maybe folk should start wondering why things "aren't perfect." You know, rather than complacently continuing the same old patterns of thought thinking that somehow by electing the same shitbags over and over again that HOPE and CHANGE are coming because your president is black or female now, nevermind that it's just white power with a black face or patriarchy with a uterus.

The Republicans are the ones who have been holding back progress for a long time. The Democrats are running on the most progressive platform they've pretty much ever had this year, and have been making slow, yet consistent progress. You don't understand the reasons why things are happening the way they are so you reflexively lash out and assume everyone is equally bad, when that's simply not true.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Just going to sit here waiting for the perfect candidate, surely 30% of the country won't burn everything down in the meantime.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TomViolence posted:

What candidate of any party currently running is better than Hillary though?

Imagine ever party was equally likely to win, who is the better choice?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Lemming posted:

The Republicans are the ones who have been holding back progress for a long time. The Democrats are running on the most progressive platform they've pretty much ever had this year, and have been making slow, yet consistent progress. You don't understand the reasons why things are happening the way they are so you reflexively lash out and assume everyone is equally bad, when that's simply not true.

I never said they're equally bad. My whole schtick till now has been that lesser evil is still evil. I recognise that there are degrees of terrible and that's a spectrum I still see Barry and Hillary on, justifiably too as US politics does not encompass the entire spectrum of political thought and whatever reform is going on there is pitifully slow. People (abroad) dislike Hillary because she is manifestly onboard with the way US politics and policy have been for the past decade or so and whatever the left is in America it's not left enough for anyone outside of that to take seriously as a contender against the established status quo and the economic and foreign policy it bludgeons and mutilates the rest of the world with.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What candidate of any party currently running is better than Hillary though?

Imagine ever party was equally likely to win, who is the better choice?

That there might not be a better candidate is damning enough. Even if Hillary was the best candidate, why would that absolve her?

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 6, 2016

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

The whole loving point of your vote is that you dangle it in front of the politicians and make them think that they might not get it if they don't try harder to please you. That's how you have any power over them, and that's how you get them to do things that benefit society. You don't owe politicians anything. You people really suck at this democracy thing.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

All the candidates are bad *because* everyone just keeps voting for the lesser evil. They have no incentive to be anything else. How is this not super obvious to everyone???

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

The whole loving point of your vote is that you dangle it in front of the politicians and make them think that they might not get it if they don't try harder to please you. That's how you have any power over them, and that's how you get them to do things that benefit society. You don't owe politicians anything. You people really suck at this democracy thing.

I like this post because I can't tell if it is for or against strategic voting, hah

^oh, no. Turns out that you're a moron. Never mind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TomViolence posted:

That there might not be a better candidate is damning enough. Even if Hillary was the best candidate, why would that absolve her?

Because nations are fundamentally unethical institutions and there is no realistic way to dissolve the nation as primary political state of the modern world so the only choice is to pick the best option provided.

I don't think it absolves anyone of anything, but realistically geopolitics do not allow for moral action

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TomViolence posted:

I never said they're equally bad. My whole schtick till now has been that lesser evil is still evil. I recognise that there are degrees of terrible and that's a spectrum I still see Barry and Hillary on, justifiably too as US politics does not encompass the entire spectrum of political thought and whatever reform is going on there is pitifully slow. People (abroad) dislike Hillary because she is manifestly onboard with the way US politics and policy have been for the past decade or so and whatever the left is in America it's not left enough for anyone outside of that to take seriously as a contender against the established status quo and the economic and foreign policy it bludgeons and mutilates the rest of the world with.

Yeah, you did

quote:

complacently continuing the same old patterns of thought thinking that somehow by electing the same shitbags over and over again that HOPE and CHANGE are coming because your president is black or female now

This is you clearly insinuating that Democrats represent the status quo when they don't. The status quo exists because Democrats have been largely fighting for progress and Republicans have been fighting for regress, and they've been roughly equally supported for a long time. The fix to this is to work within the system we have to improve it, where it is possible to improve things, vs whining that nobody is as good as you want them to be and acting like everyone is the same, which is what you're doing.

I completely agree there are things that Democrats need to do better on. The best way to push for change there is to get them into power so they can be pushed leftwards in primaries, like with Bernie, which gets more progressive candidates into power. loving off and going third party as an alternative gives more relative power to Republican politicians, which makes progress harder.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TomViolence posted:

It's a bit slippery and intangible I'll admit, but it leaves a definite bad taste in the mouth that she's been a regular fixture in the Business As Usual for a good decade at least, because as a result she must necessarily have been a part of the banal evil of American policy for so long. Admittedly, Bernie has been in politics maybe for longer than her, but he's always been a peripheral figure on the fringes. Hillary is bad because she seems entirely happy to work within a completely broken system.

You're not the good guys, you've never been the good guys. Trump allows the worst excesses of the American political machinery to contrast themselves against an outlandish cartoon character. What's happening this year is you're all having to face up to what shitehawks you've been and you're all internalising the wrong lesson and thinking that embracing the lesser evil is somehow a transcendent good when all it really means is you're content to settle for the vacuous promise of not being a complete monster.

I wouldn't say she's happy to work within the system, but she's been fighting the system far too long to think she can change it, and she believes she can make more of a difference working within the system to influence it in a more humane direction than she can sitting outside the system complaining about it. You might as well say that she supports sexism because she's experienced it for decades and has yet to issue a blanket ban on sexism: having faced it firsthand, she knows better than to think she can personally end sexism forever, and instead focuses her energies on pushing pro-women policy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Mad? I'm not mad, I'm just not going to reward them with what they want from me, just like I'm not going to reward Mrs. Clinton, who I absolutely do not hate, with what she wants from me either.

But what are you punishing her and the DNC for? What misconduct did they commit? You said you hate Hillary because the DNC did bad things. What bad things did they do?

TomViolence posted:

Things aren't perfect because progressives think political involvement is for chumps and suckers, so half of them only show up at the polls on prez election years to make a protest vote at the very top of the ticket, and the other half sit at home and bitch about how bad politics is while they whine about how a national-scale progressive movement isn't springing up out of thin air.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

Yeah, this is the attitude that makes Democrats lose elections. You realize that Republican voters are 100% unquestioningly onboard with Donald loving Trump, right? And Democrats have a more diverse opinion on various issues, which means if everybody acted like you, it would be literally impossible to satisfy all of them, and then the Republicans win by default?

Primaries are the best place to fight for progress. Risking letting a Republican win a general election is the worst place to fight for progress.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I love Bernie and now that he's out I love Hillary. I know people are having difficulties with having a woman run for office but it wasn't so bad when that black guy ran right?

That libertarian guy is literally an idiot and if you like Stein then get away from my kids you anti vax crazy person. Also I really wish liberals got this passionate about their local elections but welp.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

No see if the candidate is literally not 100% perfect you're accepting the terrible status quo. That's why they are voting for noted perfect candidate.....uhhhhh, who again?
There's a big difference between "perfect is the enemy of the good" and "Hillary is the enemy of the good". If her only flaw was that she was imperfect then her approval ratings would be a lot higher and people wouldn't have serious concerns about YASS QUEEN's barefaced lying and drone strike fetishism.

Hillary is an imperialist hawk. A century ago, she would have been riding sidesaddle into Cuba with Roosevelt. If you're so amoral as to pull the lever for her because "at least she's not _______" then at least take ownership of her history of hosed up foreign and domestic policies instead of acting like some parsimonious protestant picking and choosing which passages matter and which can be glossed over. Nobody has a gun to your head. You can stay home or you can deliberately spoil your ballot. Your vote is an endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Lemming posted:

This is you clearly insinuating that Democrats represent the status quo when they don't. The status quo exists because Democrats have been largely fighting for progress and Republicans have been fighting for regress, and they've been roughly equally supported for a long time. The fix to this is to work within the system we have to improve it, where it is possible to improve things, vs whining that nobody is as good as you want them to be and acting like everyone is the same, which is what you're doing.

Sorry but the Democratic Party has not been fighting for progress. Social movements have been fighting for progress and pressuring the Democrats into giving away concessions. Again, don't get your democracy backwards.

• Locked thread