Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I'm shocked they only did one episode of Flashpoint, but I can understand not wanting to spend several episodes in an alternate timeline where poo poo doesn't matter.

This was the best episode yet for non-Wells RF, though.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm shocked they only did one episode of Flashpoint, but I can understand not wanting to spend several episodes in an alternate timeline where poo poo doesn't matter.

Unlike the regular timeline where poo poo always.... Nevermind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Flash needs to go to a timeline where he played Chrono Trigger as a kid. He can make time duplicates so if he really wants to save his mom without changing the timeline there ya go.

Seriously, Barry goes back in time a week before his mom dies, grabs her, does the time rodeo and makes a chronal remnant of her, leaves it at home and puts mom up in a hotel for a week. Once Thawne kills the remnant his mom can go back to her life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Barry who did that can't exist without suffering the tragedy of his mother's murder as a child.

Time doesn't just say "Oh, a Barry's mom died. Whatever."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The Barry who did that can't exist without suffering the tragedy of his mother's murder as a child.

Time doesn't just say "Oh, a Barry's mom died. Whatever."

Fine! He can bring one of them to the present so he still has the trauma and also a living mother!

For how often one of Barry's loved ones dies he should have a whole room full of time remnants.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

teamcharlie posted:

Uh, wait. Thawne went back into the past and successfully killed Barry's mom, but now he's got perfectly functional speed powers. Then who the gently caress trained the Flash?

I thought the whole reason original Thawne stole Wells' life, built the accelerator, gave Barry powers and made him go fast was to get to the future so he could kick Barry's rear end, but he couldn't do it himself because his speed powers were broken. Well, that roadblock is clearly gone since he uses his speed to travel through time. How could any part of the first two seasons have happened now? And it's not like there's a spare Wells around in the past to do the training and become Flash's spare dad, because that guy clearly disappeared.

Side note: Barry is still way too chill with people stabbing his mom.

This.

As far as I can tell things should be way more broken.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Do not believe Reverse Flash when he says the Barry he knows from the future is not as stupid as Barry is now, or that he is powered by some unexplainable Speed Force. The man is a villain and a liar. Being stupid is what makes Barry go fast.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, Barry goes back in time a week before his mom dies, grabs her, does the time rodeo and makes a chronal remnant of her, leaves it at home and puts mom up in a hotel for a week. Once Thawne kills the remnant his mom can go back to her life.

Well no, he'd have to bring his real mom to the present to avoid changing the timeline.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Inkspot posted:

Being stupid is what makes Barry go fast.

So the faster he goes the more stupid he becomes? Checks out.

Yeah this episode was a bit of a mess but mostly because they had to shove so much stuff into it. I really, really loved seeing Wally as Kid Flash and Iris being his confidant. I'm kind of bummed that this part was over so quickly.

For some reason The Flash is the only CW hero show that I'm ok with a lot of the dumbness of the romance for some reason. I *do* want to see Barry and Iris get together and it's frustrating the level of idiocy that works against them but at least it's not as bad as the absolute shitshow of Arrow. I'd rather all the characters on that show simply die of a giant meteor hitting their city at this point.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry's powers growing stronger after a pep talk count: 1

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thawne will never make sense anymore. Don't worry about it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really want to find that image I saw of "The Flash, Season 10" that just has like fifty Barrys racing around the Allen living room, because it seems appropriate.

This was basically an entire episode caused and perpetuated by people being unbelievably stupid. Barry changing the timeline was stupid, Wally turning his back on his super-fast enemy was double-stupid, Barry doing the exact same thing even after he saw Wally get got was triple stupid.

Oh, and Wally can't heal, because reasons, which is also stupid. But that's plot-stupid, not character-stupid.

Welcome back to the Flash everybody! :downs:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"He should be healing. But he's not. Okay bye" was pretty incredible.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I for sure thought they were going to go the route of "Barry is the one who generates the Speed Force, so without him being Flash there is nothing to give Thawne speed" in the first season. And it was going to turn out that Thawne became Wells to ensure that Barry became the Flash (because maybe the timeline had been altered to such an extent that he otherwise didn't become the Flash).

But it turns out that Thawne losing his powers was just some super weird coincidence? And that he just needed Barry to be fast enough to give his failing powers a boost to travel back to his time where he would...get better?

Then of course there's all the weird stuff about the Thawne time remnant, which I think is obsolete now because Barry removed the Thawne that murdered his mother from the timeline post-murdering his mother. So wait was Wells ever Thawne in this timeline? Is Eddie still alive? :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Y'know, that was a profoundly hosed up thing Thawne made Barry do.

He should've refused and made Barry do it. Step up your villain game Thawne.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

He was also Caesar in the last season of Spartacus.

I know how Barry can defeat him :dong:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point I think I would've preferred Flashpoint. Just loving run with it. Wally and Iris are a brother-sister crimefighting team, aided by Iris's nerdy CSI boyfriend Barry, tech billionaire Cisco Ramon, and Caitlin Snow, Wally's eye doctor. In place of dumb romantic drama, we get West family drama as Wally and Iris try to deal with whatever crawled up Joe's butt. Harrison Wells is Ramon Industries' mysterious janitor who may or may not be a figment of Wally's imagination.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I *do* want to see Barry and Iris get together and it's frustrating the level of idiocy that works against them but at least it's not as bad as the absolute shitshow of Arrow. I'd rather all the characters on that show simply die of a giant meteor hitting their city at this point.

Going by the first few seasons Ollie lets his city get decimated by something every finale so it's probably only a matter of time until that happens.

Guy A. Person posted:

Then of course there's all the weird stuff about the Thawne time remnant, which I think is obsolete now because Barry removed the Thawne that murdered his mother from the timeline post-murdering his mother. So wait was Wells ever Thawne in this timeline? Is Eddie still alive? :psyduck:

I haven't watched the episode, but did watch a few clips to see if it piqued my interest and Iris doesn't know Barry. Despite the fact that change is that Barry's mom didn't die. And yet according to the Prime timeline Iris and Barry were friends as a kid and basically lived next door till Thawne killed Barry's mom. So shouldn't Iris at least recognise Barry enough to go "oh, that guy I knew as a kid?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tsob posted:

I haven't watched the episode, but did watch a few clips to see if it piqued my interest and Iris doesn't know Barry. Despite the fact that change is that Barry's mom didn't die. And yet according to the Prime timeline Iris and Barry were friends as a kid and basically lived next door till Thawne killed Barry's mom. So shouldn't Iris at least recognise Barry enough to go "oh, that guy I knew as a kid?"

This is basically exactly what happened. Iris is like "you look familiar" and Barry says they went to school together and they reminisce about some class they were in.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So why weren't Time Wraiths hunting Barry down after he changed poo poo?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Time wraiths are for time traveling, not alternate timelines. Barry only traveled for about 2 minutes, then went back.

Alternate timelines are Booster Gold's job, and he blew it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grem posted:

Is Barry trying to find a timeline where he's not a complete idiot or what?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
"Welp, I finished watching The Flash premiere. I should start reading the new TV/IV thread and catch up!" *Several pages later...* :stare:

ANYWAY, I'll have to echo the sentiments of some here and say I felt underwhelmed by the premiere. I felt like after the slide this show took last season that we really needed a home run start and I don't think this was it. I'm not saying it was all mediocre, the Cisco stuff and kidnapping gag in particular were great. About time that the writers poked some tongue-in-cheek fun at themselves and the "heroes" doing shady poo poo, since this Barry Allen definitely does pretty much technically kidnap people quite often.

I'm not too bothered by most of their version of Flashpoint being one-and-done, as it might've just created more issues than solved (though there seems to be more to come), and them setting it up at the end of last season seemed like a possibly bad idea that was biting off more than it could chew.

I'm not even bothered by the ridiculous (even by time-travel fiction standards) absence of consistent time travel rules in their universe because...well, gently caress it at this point as long as it's good.

I think what bothers me the most is that Barry is all too often a selfish nincompoop. Even without the mass murdering and indefinite detention issues we joke about.

I'm still hopeful this will be a better, more consistent season than the last, but this wasn't the start I was hoping for.

By the way, after watching the S1 and 2 gag reels back to back, I strongly feel that the permanent thread title should be "gently caress me with a spoon twice daily."

Holy poo poo this was great, but the head bobbing thing alone may have permanently ruined this show for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

I really want to find that image I saw of "The Flash, Season 10" that just has like fifty Barrys racing around the Allen living room, because it seems appropriate.

This was basically an entire episode caused and perpetuated by people being unbelievably stupid. Barry changing the timeline was stupid, Wally turning his back on his super-fast enemy was double-stupid, Barry doing the exact same thing even after he saw Wally get got was triple stupid.

Oh, and Wally can't heal, because reasons, which is also stupid. But that's plot-stupid, not character-stupid.

Welcome back to the Flash everybody! :downs:

How many Barrys are we up to now? Barry A is kid Barry who is always there. Then Barry B came back in time and fought RF, and almost saved his mom but was then dissuaded by Barry C and instead just grabbed Barry A and got him out of the house.

That's the course of events that is presented to us in the pilot, three Barrys.

But we've also got Barry D who came back and stopped RF from killing his mom after Barry B took A out of the house and Barry C left thinking his job was done because he successfully dissuaded Barry B with a solemn head shake. And there's Barry E, who let RF out of the cage so he could go back and murder his mom. Barry E was carried into the past by RF, and it's not clear where he was during the murder, but let's assume RF left him on the porch.

So there were five different Barrys at the house when his mom was killed.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

How many Barrys are we up to now? Barry A is kid Barry who is always there. Then Barry B came back in time and fought RF, and almost saved his mom but was then dissuaded by Barry C and instead just grabbed Barry A and got him out of the house.

That's the course of events that is presented to us in the pilot, three Barrys.

But we've also got Barry D who came back and stopped RF from killing his mom after Barry B took A out of the house and Barry C left thinking his job was done because he successfully dissuaded Barry B with a solemn head shake. And there's Barry E, who let RF out of the cage so he could go back and murder his mom. Barry E was carried into the past by RF, and it's not clear where he was during the murder, but let's assume RF left him on the porch.

So there were five different Barrys at the house when his mom was killed.

Actually, I believe Barry B, after fighting RF, dissuaded Barry C, who was hiding behind a door, with the solemn head shake before carrying A out. Then Barry D shows up, saves mom, Barry C vanishes, and D runs back to the future to start this season. Then E shows up with RF, D is now stopped from saving mom, mom is killed, and D vanishes instead of running back to the future to begin this season.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murphys Law posted:

Actually, I believe Barry B, after fighting RF, dissuaded Barry C, who was hiding behind a door, with the solemn head shake before carrying A out. Then Barry D shows up, saves mom, Barry C vanishes, and D runs back to the future to start this season. Then E shows up with RF, D is now stopped from saving mom, mom is killed, and D vanishes instead of running back to the future to begin this season.

Oh poo poo, you're right, I had C and B mixed up.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right, I had C and B mixed up.

Understandable. There are a lot of Barrys in the house.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barry F should go back with a camcorder so he can watch it whenever he wants instead of always time traveling.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Murphys Law posted:

That is a large amount of Barry.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

That is a large amount of Barry.

A bevy of Barrys.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Murphys Law posted:

I couldn't stop laughing when Flashpoint-Thawne showed up with another goddamn knife at the end. Imagining how confused Nora Allen is has become loving hilarious.

Hopefully, Barry will re-Flashpoint time, then un-Flashpoint it a few more times, then pile on some crazy alternate Earth poo poo, so Nora sees Barry kill Reverse-Flash, then another RF kills Barry, then a third RF kills the second one, kisses Nora, and is then vibro-handed by Jay Garrick-as-Henry, who tag-team stabs Nora alongside eyepatch-Barry, before a time-traveling Gorilla Grodd drags her wounded body to the top of a skyscraper.

"Last season, on THE FLASH!"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

teamcharlie posted:

Uh, wait. Thawne went back into the past and successfully killed Barry's mom, but now he's got perfectly functional speed powers. Then who the gently caress trained the Flash?

I thought the whole reason original Thawne stole Wells' life, built the accelerator, gave Barry powers and made him go fast was to get to the future so he could kick Barry's rear end, but he couldn't do it himself because his speed powers were broken. Well, that roadblock is clearly gone since he uses his speed to travel through time. How could any part of the first two seasons have happened now? And it's not like there's a spare Wells around in the past to do the training and become Flash's spare dad, because that guy clearly disappeared.

Side note: Barry is still way too chill with people stabbing his mom.
My interpretation is this: the moment Thawne kills Nora is the moment he sets things into motion, but he doesn't need to be physically left behind in time anymore because he is the one changing the timeline, not Barry.

Essentially Thawne can leave behind a time remnant that goes on to become Wellsobard, while he drops Barry off in the altered post-s2 timeline and then gets to keep existing as a paradox separate from the natural flow of time. Barry pretty much hosed up so badly that Eddie's sacrifice was in vain, because now a new Eobard Thawne created as a result of Barry's Flashpoint is now around.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think, at this point, enjoying this show will be a matter of...setting the right expectations. Looking back I can objectively see all sorts of problems with this premiere, especially with the KILL NORA bingo board crossing absurd thresholds...but I never expected this Flashpoint thing to be that big a deal in the first place so I wasn't surprised to see just another obligatory alternate universe episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's kinda dumb that Thawne called the new alternate timeline Flashpoint.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually enjoyed the Rival a lot more in that one episode than I did Zoom in every episode of season two he was in, even if he did look like Shadow the Hedgehog. :shrug:

Thought it was an improvement on the last season. Disappointed it wasn't two parts - would have been fun to see what some of the other characters were doing in Flashpoint, even if it was just mentions of "Mayor Snart" or Robert Queen being Green Arrow like in the Earth-2 episodes last season.

I think if it's at this standard for the whole season I will at least be satisfied with it.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Amendment to what I'd said earlier: in theory, regular-rear end OG Harrison Wells could just be Barry's best friend, maybe with some really quickly scribbled notes from Thawne to make sure real-Wells can actually get the accelerator online at the right time and to fail in the right way (as I recall, the accelerator explosion wouldn't have happened for at least a few years yet in the original timeline).

On the plus side, the could be accompanied by an awesome montage of time-traveling Thawne pranking Barry throughout Barry's life while making sure everything works out to make Barry eventually become the Flash. Stealing Barry's clothes from his gym locker, making GBS threads in his desk, roofie-ing Barry the night he would have otherwise lost his virginity, etc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tsob posted:

Going by the first few seasons Ollie lets his city get decimated by something every finale so it's probably only a matter of time until that happens.

Ollie's city is so loving stupid that no one noticed the enormous construction of an entire underground city happening, including the obviously needed power plant, exhaust ports, etc.

Also there is a cavern full of super-assassins that apparently is a 15 minute bus ride outside the city limits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So why weren't Time Wraiths hunting Barry down after he changed poo poo?

They are on vacation.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I want Barry and Thawne to be friends. They really have no reason to hate each other if they would just stop going back in time and saying they hate each other over and over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ollie's city is so loving stupid that no one noticed the enormous construction of an entire underground city happening, including the obviously needed power plant, exhaust ports, etc.

Also there is a cavern full of super-assassins that apparently is a 15 minute bus ride outside the city limits.

Eh, it was more like a large, ritzy neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I think my favorite part was opening the episode with "Previously on The Flash" and showing Barry coming to his decision to travel back, then doing so and saving Nora. Then 10 minutes later show the exact same footage with him dragging Eobard through time as he fondly remembers how he captured his mortal enemy.

I really needed to see that twice. Just to be sure.

• Locked thread