Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
15 years, 0 certs, 0 degrees.

Started at my current company right out of high school basically and still here. Don't see why I couldn't retire here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sure I'll toss my hat in.

6 years, 1 cert, 1.75 degrees (bachelor of applied information systems technologies, 3 years comp sci)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
We're on page 999 of this thread.

By rights, we should now discover that the page number counter only has 3 digits on it and a few more posts will crash the forums. It would be appropriate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

By rights, we should now discover that the page number counter only has 3 digits on it and a few more posts will crash the forums. It would be appropriate.

Base 0, it's page 1000. :colbert:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spog posted:

And on the third day radium spoke and said "thou shalt not have more than 999 pages in a single thread" and thus was established one of his holy laws of the forums.

Praise be to radium, forever may his databases leak.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ah, an FBI agent.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pr0digal posted:

And on the third day radium spoke and said "thou shalt not have more than 999 pages in a single thread" and thus was established one of his holy laws of the forums.

Praise be to radium, forever may his databases leak.

Simple fix

re: Re: RE: fwd: u gotta see this it thrred!!!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

spog posted:

Last thread was over 1000 pages, so worries.

I'm worried about post 2147483647 which will be on page 42949672.94

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How long was the last one? Around 1200 pages?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I love when planned downtime at a client has been on the books for weeks with a hard start time and then the client decides at the last minute to push it back.

Not like the commuter rail stops running at a certain point or anything. I hope I won't have to get a hotel in the city :eng99:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pr0digal posted:

I love when planned downtime at a client has been on the books for weeks with a hard start time and then the client decides at the last minute to push it back.

Not like the commuter rail stops running at a certain point or anything. I hope I won't have to get a hotel in the city :eng99:

They just put out the reminder notice and someone high up went HOLY poo poo THAT'S TODAY?! I'm running important report!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

pixaal posted:

They just put out the reminder notice and someone high up went HOLY poo poo THAT'S TODAY?! I'm running important report!

Also one of the client engineers likes to reply-all with "Bueller?" if his question is not answered within 30 seconds and his e-mail signature (comprised of 5 different colors and fonts) ends with this. With the last line in red.

kill me posted:

Disclaimer: The Internet is running in debug mode.

CAUTION: Contents may have been coded under pressure.

Also co-worker did a remote check of the site on the 30th and I just got forwarded an StorNext error from the 29th. Co-worker says the error "didn't ring any bells" even though it's in PLAIN loving SIGHT if you log onto the metadata controller.

One would think that if you're doing a remote check then you should check any alerts on the controllers. But no, why would you do that. :bang:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 5, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hello my old taglines.txt from the WWIV BBS that I was on in high school.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

9 years, 2 certs, 2 degrees (bach. of science (computer science), bach. of science (philosophy)).

literally nobody I've ever met believed me that my 2nd degree was a real thing

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Man, this thread's been going on 3 years?

drat, time flies

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I see a ticket go through the general queue. A tower bluescreens at login but can boot in Safe Mode. Cool. Desk side tech will probably just re-image the thing.

The ticket gets assigned to me. I check the notes and when desk side got there apparently there's no video output and there's something rattling inside the case. Welp. It's a hardware problem now.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Currently in the process of handing an incredibly complicated system back to the client as they've decided to go for in-house management. We've managed it for at least 10 years and have senior engineers dedicated to specific sections - system management, policy, patching, etc. There's hundreds of appliances across multiple DCs and 100 years of combined experience with this product in my team and we have it running loving excellently.

Handover is to one bloke, over the span of a month, with twice weekly remote sessions.

THIS WILL GO WELL

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
nm, bad at catching up

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 6, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
2 years, 1 cert, 0 degrees.

If I'm honest, the 2 years has been worlds more important than the A+ cert. Studying for Network+ now to build on it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

iRend posted:

Currently in the process of handing an incredibly complicated system back to the client as they've decided to go for in-house management. We've managed it for at least 10 years and have senior engineers dedicated to specific sections - system management, policy, patching, etc. There's hundreds of appliances across multiple DCs and 100 years of combined experience with this product in my team and we have it running loving excellently.

Handover is to one bloke, over the span of a month, with twice weekly remote sessions.

THIS WILL GO WELL

Ya'll will get it back in 2 years after the dude burns it to the ground from lack of ...well everything.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ya'll will get it back in 2 years after the dude burns it to the ground from lack of ...well everything.

I really feel this kind of situation is the malevolent force of every business person slash C-level in the world's subconscious wills going "hold the loving phone, you managed to get something actually nailed down, running well, completely understood, and consistently managed? Haha no no no what the gently caress do you think this is, loving Best Practice World? Let's just go ahead and gently caress that up for you a bit - after all, can't have you thinking you'll ever truly be able to reach IT nirvana can we".

I may be a bit bitter at the moment as last week was the second time a client has called a printer tech out to fix "something" and he somehow managed to erase all the settings, which thanks to Toshiba copiers being a clown show (I suppose "Toshiba" can be replaced by "all") mean a whole lot of clicking to restore scan to folder templates etc. It was loving working jackass we have enough to do without fixing what wasn't broke.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
A ticket came in: "We can receive mail from initech.com but when we try to send it gets blocked by our spam filter!"

So I have her forward me the bounceback - "initech.com loops back to myself". Hmmm. I check initech.com's IP, and it resolves to 127.0.0.1. HMM, I bet a lot of people are having similar problems!

I called her and let her know what I found, and her response was "So you're saying it's on their end? Oh, good!"

Best part? This lady's job description, according to her email sig, was "Database and System Administrator."

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
cert chat:

18ish years, 1 cert (that I got this year) 0 degree (went to uni, but this was in 1995 when the web was just getting started, so I spend the majority of my time dicking about on Mozilla 0.9 and playing XPilot with people in other universities, rather than attending lectures, so I was 'not asked back' for the third year of the course...)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

What is it about History that has drawn so many of us to her loving, ancient bosom and then dumped us out onto the cruel broken glass shards of Technology?

10 years, 4 certs, 1 degree (Secondary Education, Social Studies (it includes not only History, but Sociology, Psychology, and Political Science)).

As for why, I jokingly said in an interview when asked why I left teaching for IT that the servers didn't whine when I gave them a task, just the fans. Added in that I also didn't have parents yelling at me and threatening to sue if I smacked a server. The interviewers thought it was hilarious.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Base 0, it's page 1000. :colbert:

and the new millennium started in 2001. :goleft:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's been about a month since I started this new job, and I get to redo our ticketing system. Anyone have experience with Kaseya? I'm going to make some changes to an existing service desk and add a new one.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ugh. So, earlier this year, someone hosed up colossally (let's just say certain DNS zones are important) and pretty much shut us down for several hours.

Since then, the higher-ups have been on a crusade to wedge technology issues in to address the absolutely 100% policy issue (newbie was given too much access).

So now I just had to try to reboot a VM in vcenter, but none of the 6 (literally) accounts I have to do so are able to get to the loving reboot button because after all of this shuffling, the particular VM wasn't added to the right group.

And, of course, the leader who caused the issue in the first place is still leading that team and likes to bitch when things don't get done in a timely manner.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You know, certs is really subjective if you ask me. I've got a CCNA. Exploration 1.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Eh I think the cert thread is a better place to air out exactly what certs we have, if any. The year / cert / degree chat was pretty insightful in that those who got in the industry 10+ years ago didn't have to play the cert game, whereas those under 5 years have a bunch because I think it's much more common and expected these days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

You know, certs is really subjective if you ask me. I've got a CCNA. Exploration 1.

If you mean they aren't really a objective measure of mastery, I agree.

There are some certs I have because the they are EXPECTED as must have in my field, but are pretty worthless as a measure of ability or knowledge: see ISC2 certs like CISSP, etc...

Others show a good foundational understanding of a particular topic: See CWNA/CW*Ps, certain GIAC certs.

But I've never come across a situation where having a certification has hurt anyone. My advice is that if your company will pay for certifications then get them. Even if they won't, it may be worth your while for your professional development in general to pay for your own.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

flosofl posted:

If you mean they aren't really a objective measure of mastery, I agree.

There are some certs I have because the they are EXPECTED as must have in my field, but are pretty worthless as a measure of ability or knowledge: see ISC2 certs like CISSP, etc...

Others show a good foundational understanding of a particular topic: See CWNA/CW*Ps, certain GIAC certs.

But I've never come across a situation where having a certification has hurt anyone. My advice is that if your company will pay for certifications then get them. Even if they won't, it may be worth your while for your professional development in general to pay for your own.

I wouldn't really count my Exploration cert as a real cert tho, would you?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SEKCobra posted:

Exploration 1.

Wait does this mean you're a spelunker or something? I picture you rappelling into a ravine with a server strapped to your back.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait does this mean you're a spelunker or something? I picture you rappelling into a ravine with a server strapped to your back.

Data mining. Equip your pickaxe and server

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Migishu posted:

Data mining. Equip your pickaxe and server

You need to bring an animal with you to detect noxious gases.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

You need to bring an animal with you to detectcreate noxious gases.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dick Trauma posted:

You need to bring an animal with you to detect noxious gases.

And appropriately, if you let it get more than 95% full you'll detect more noxious gases a day or so later!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Speaking of noxious gasses, did I ever tell you guys how the basement of the television station would routinely start emitting carbon monoxide throughout the building?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Trying to get FTP uploads via curl working on a super locked down server. I mention we need FTP opened up outbound to get it working.

The ~Senior Systems Engineer~ proceeds to inform me they can't open up the servers to the whole internet (!!!) and asked me to specify what ports I needed :eng99:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Speaking of noxious gasses, did I ever tell you guys how the basement of the television station would routinely start emitting carbon monoxide throughout the building?

This could explain a lot about the CE's braindead and erratic behavior.

• Locked thread