Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Seconding Kylra. This is completely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's now been about a year and a half since I got "custom" Wavefront LASEK. Better for people with thin corneas, though mine were normal.

Bladeless. Smelled like burning hair. Got Valium, and didn't care about smell, but I'd smell that same thing sometimes for the first couple weeks.
My eyes felt dry off and on for about a year, less and less frequently as time went on. Taking Omega 3-6-9 capsules (Flax and fish oil) helped with that.
Scratchy eyelash in eye feeling intermittent for first three months.

My vision has gone from 20/15 to something more like 20/20, and I can see better than I ever did with glasses on.

Cost $3,200 with 5 year touch up plan. Had an astigmatism in both eyes, and something like 20/80 (left) and 20/100 (right) vision.

I would recommend the procedure to anybody, as it's made my life so much better.

Dr. Yaldo, serves the San Diego and Detroit areas. Thousands of surgeries and never botched one.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My surgeon and eye doctor were very upfront about the fact I'll most likely need reading glasses in the future after getting the surgery, I thought that was a standard LASIK disclaimer.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Is there a good resource to look up LASIK surgeons and centers? My optometrist works with Kleiman Evangelista eye center here in dallas, and i've got a free consultation set up with them saturday. I'm definitely open to looking into other options, but i'm running into trouble finding anything more concrete than generic google reviews. Personal info, 28, stable prescription (-2.5 sphere in both, -1.5/1.75 cylinder), perfectly healthy eyes, glasses wearer for 20 years.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Made a schedule for lasik next week. They really want to seem to get you to sign up quick for it. When I called for a consultation they had me in on Tuesday after calling on Friday. And now that I had the consultation they have me coming in on Monday. Guess they want to lesson the time to get cold feet. Also they give Xanax during surgery. Which I will gladly take.

Also my prescriptions were kind of funny. Right Eye was about -1.5 nearsighted -2.5 astygmatyzm. And the opposite for the left eye of about -2.5 nearsighted and -1.5 astygmatyzm.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Had prk last Thursday, have appt to get bandage contacts removed today and I can't friggin wait. Ready to start sanding down my new eyeballs.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Had lasik yesterday. The first day was hard but I'm feeling pretty good today.

Edit: Also I never got the promised Zanex during the surgery.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 28, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Arcland posted:

Had lasik yesterday. The first day was hard but I'm feeling pretty good today.

Edit: Also I never got the promised Zanex during the surgery.

They gave me valium which had minimal effect. The script was for 2 pills, if there's a next time I'm taking both at once.

That being said it wasn't a bad experience and I kept still, but I have deeply inset eyes and small lid apertures so it was pretty uncomfortable, I could have used some more chill out.

Anyhow I'm a week post prk, and finally seeing some decent improvement. Looking forward to re-joining society.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

angryrobots posted:

They gave me valium which had minimal effect. The script was for 2 pills, if there's a next time I'm taking both at once.

That being said it wasn't a bad experience and I kept still, but I have deeply inset eyes and small lid apertures so it was pretty uncomfortable, I could have used some more chill out.

Anyhow I'm a week post prk, and finally seeing some decent improvement. Looking forward to re-joining society.

drat, it's been a whole week? I went for LASIK a month ago, and due to a small scar on my right eye they had to abort. Left eye was already done so I'm now going 2 weeks without a contact in my right eye (which is really weird), and it's up in the air whether they'll retry the LASIK or just opt for PRK.

I know the recovery period for PRK was painful vs. LASIK, didn't realize it affected your vision for so long - have you been unable to drive this whole time? How bad has it been vs. your previous uncorrected vision?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah still unable to drive, that's pretty normal. Some have a better recovery time, it seems to vary by person and possibly amount of correction. I had a lot of astigmatism.

Here's a blog I found that does a day-by-day for the first week, then weekly and monthly updates. My recovery has followed his pretty closely, except I didn't experience much pain, I managed to not use the proparacaine in hopes of a quicker recovery. I think that my experience was average, weighted by the fact that my vision, despite the high astigmatism, was only 20/50 before surgery so my perception of blurry or poor vision will be higher than someone with 20/200 or whatever.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat, it's been a whole week? I went for LASIK a month ago, and due to a small scar on my right eye they had to abort. Left eye was already done so I'm now going 2 weeks without a contact in my right eye (which is really weird), and it's up in the air whether they'll retry the LASIK or just opt for PRK.

I know the recovery period for PRK was painful vs. LASIK, didn't realize it affected your vision for so long - have you been unable to drive this whole time? How bad has it been vs. your previous uncorrected vision?

A friend of mine that got PRK is still taking steroids months later. While I had lasik on Monday and am off steroids/antiobiotics tomorrow(friday). But PRK has it's own benefits as well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The eye that got LASIK was trouble free - I'm not sure how I'll adjust to PRK. I work at a computer all day, right now I'm using a patch over the uncorrected eye when at my desk (more comfortable than glasses with one lens for me) but I don't know how I'd do this for months. We'll see what he says on the 11th, I guess.

gagelion radley
Sep 19, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got LASIK about two weeks ago. I paid $1,700 for the surgery and I am extremely happy with the results so far.

My eyes only hurt during the day of surgery. I somehow slept for about 16 hours afterwards and by the time I woke up, I could see perfectly.

I have a question that hopefully a goon can help me out with. My practice was insistent that I use systane ultra drops for lubrication during the week after surgery. I am wondering if when I run out of those, I can use another brand of eye drops. Does it matter? (They informed me I have chronic dry eye and should use lubricating eye drops indefinitely)

gagelion radley fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 2, 2016

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Had my first eye exam in 7 years and don't recall specifics about my surgery so I'm just going to throw this out there.

Had "custom" LASIK in 2009, at age 26, for around $3500 in CA near Sacramento, had terrible vision with significant astigmatism though I don't recall my specific subscription, it was bad though, without glasses everything was a blur unless literally 12 inches from my face. Spent 2-3 days wearing shades not doing much, since then I've not had to wear any eye wear and, as stated, my first eye exam since 2009 shows that i still still have perfect 20/15.

LASIK totally worth it.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Could anyone recommend an office in Dallas or Houston (preferably Dallas) that does in-office financing for the procedure? I've applied to care credit and for some reason it is the only line of credit I've ever been turned down for, I even had to pay for my braces through in-office financing.

(I am in ETX)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Shuffleboard Shootout posted:

Could anyone recommend an office in Dallas or Houston (preferably Dallas) that does in-office financing for the procedure? I've applied to care credit and for some reason it is the only line of credit I've ever been turned down for, I even had to pay for my braces through in-office financing.

(I am in ETX)

I believe Cornea Associates of Texas in Dallas does. I got my LASIK done there. I paid cash but their website looks like they do financing.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Thanks so much! I'll check them out!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

gagelion radley posted:

I have a question that hopefully a goon can help me out with. My practice was insistent that I use systane ultra drops for lubrication during the week after surgery. I am wondering if when I run out of those, I can use another brand of eye drops. Does it matter? (They informed me I have chronic dry eye and should use lubricating eye drops indefinitely)

Systane Ultra drops are great, but it would probably be better to use Preservative-Free artificial tears, regardless of brand. I personally prefer non-preserved Refresh drops, since there is essentially no limit to how many you can use throughout the day. DO NOT use generic drops of any kind, or Visine products; these tend to contain pretty harsh preservatives that can cause more harm than good.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

11 days post PRK, good news was tested at 20/25 which is apparently very ahead of schedule on healing, so that's good.

However, developing a slight corneal haze, so upping the steroid drops with instructions to make sure they are soaking in.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I went to my lasik consultation the other day, and I was all geared up to get the procedure. Then I saw people in here talking about how their close-up vision kinda sucks now. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and accept the risks of eye surgery if I'm just going to end up trading one pair of glasses for another.

I also googled something totally benign about lasik but found a bunch of horror stories and people saying it's their biggest regret in life. Now I'm scared.

I'm 23 years old, my vision isn't terrible; -2.25 and -2.50, with astigmatism in my right eye. They told me I have very thick corneas. Enough to get the procedure and then share some cornea with my friends. Hopefully all these factors mean that the risk is low. But I don't want to damage my near vision, or end up with some permanently blurry eye or some poo poo.

Reassure me, goons, or maybe tell me that I'm not ready for it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I went to my lasik consultation the other day, and I was all geared up to get the procedure. Then I saw people in here talking about how their close-up vision kinda sucks now. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and accept the risks of eye surgery if I'm just going to end up trading one pair of glasses for another.

I also googled something totally benign about lasik but found a bunch of horror stories and people saying it's their biggest regret in life. Now I'm scared.

I'm 23 years old, my vision isn't terrible; -2.25 and -2.50, with astigmatism in my right eye. They told me I have very thick corneas. Enough to get the procedure and then share some cornea with my friends. Hopefully all these factors mean that the risk is low. But I don't want to damage my near vision, or end up with some permanently blurry eye or some poo poo.

They told me I'd need reading glasses when I'm in my 40s. I got it when I was 23 as well (4 years ago) and I can see fine at all distances.

I also had abnormally thick corneas and an astigmatism in both eyes, except my eyes were at -7 each.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

You will need reading glasses in your 40s. This is inevitable.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I always wonder about the horror story people, if they followed their aftercare procedure according as instructed, and/or went to one of these budget lasik places I see advertised. IMO, it's kind of like reading bad reviews on a known good product...often the authors really come off sounding ill-informed.

Anyhow the risk of complications is low, especially permanent complications. And losing your up close vision is probably something you will face after age 40, regardless.

I suppose you have to weigh how much your current vision affects your life. I had a high astigmatism in both eyes, could not wear contacts with my job, and the only safety glasses I could get in my prescription were terrible. I was sick of having almost useless, poor vision without glasses, and at age 32 I decided the risk was worth the reward for PRK.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wile E. Toyota posted:

You will need reading glasses in your 40s regardless - the vast majority of people do. 23 is on the young side (though perfectly doable!), it may make sense to wait a year or two to make sure your vision is stable.

angryrobots posted:

I always wonder about the horror story people, if they followed their aftercare procedure according as instructed, and/or went to one of these budget lasik places I see advertised. IMO, it's kind of like reading bad reviews on a known good product...often the authors really come off sounding ill-informed.

Anyhow the risk of complications is low, especially permanent complications. And losing your up close vision is probably something you will face after age 40, regardless.

I suppose you have to weigh how much your current vision affects your life. I had a high astigmatism in both eyes, could not wear contacts with my job, and the only safety glasses I could get in my prescription were terrible. I was sick of having almost useless, poor vision without glasses, and at age 32 I decided the risk was worth the reward for PRK.

I did not go to a budget place, and I'm wondering the same about the recovery effects of PRK - I'm only having to get it done due to a tear in the flap of one eye that's a result of a corneal scar (that I don't think was communicated effectively to the LASIK doc). Will find out Tuesday what the next steps are - it's fully healed and I'll have gone 2 weeks without contacts so I could be eligible for PRK on Thursday but I need to get a very clear picture of the recovery process due to some work travel 10 days after that. LASIK on the successful eye was great, I was driving the next day.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well it's very ymmv, but I was driving a little 10 days post op with prk in both eyes. It is definitely a lengthy recovery process. Technically I tested at 20/25 11 days after surgery, but my perception is that my vision is not nearly as sharp as with glasses (yet, hopefully)

Personally if possible, I would schedule surgery after your travel if it involves driving a lot, especially at night.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

angryrobots posted:

Well it's very ymmv, but I was driving a little 10 days post op with prk in both eyes. It is definitely a lengthy recovery process. Technically I tested at 20/25 11 days after surgery, but my perception is that my vision is not nearly as sharp as with glasses (yet, hopefully)

Personally if possible, I would schedule surgery after your travel if it involves driving a lot, especially at night.

It doesn't require any driving at all, I can take a taxi to/from the airport. I'm more concerned with being on my feet, dealing with customers for 12 hours a day for a few days. Day 12 post op will likely be the worst for that, and I'll be home late on day 13.

Sidenote: It's been over a week with no contact/no correction in my right eye now, and I'm noticing that I'm becoming cross dominant (ambi-dominant?) in my vision. Used to be right eye dominant but it's becoming more natural for me to rely primarily on my left eye. Weird.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I pretty much had the same exact vision as you before I got my LASIK. However, I was a few years older than you. I spent around $4,000 at a highly reviewed place online and I don't regret it at all. Sometimes my right eye gets a little dry and gets a little hard to see at distance but nothing major. Maybe wait a few years for your vision to be 100% stabilized or when you feel more comfortable getting it done? And the majority of the people who get LASIK done... probably 99.9% have great experiences but only a few of them leave good reviews online as opposed to the people who went through a negative experience.

Exps
Jun 14, 2008
I had Lasik done nearly 2 months ago. I was -4.5, -5 and it costed me about $4,000, which I saved up in my HSA. When it was surgery day, I spent more time waiting and having the assistants explain to me the procedure than the actual surgery. It was very quick (bladeless). No real pain other than pressure. Immediately after the surgery, I was able to read a clock across the room, which was something I've never done without glasses (though it was blurry from the tears and drops in my eyes). Had to use a lot of special eye drops for the next few weeks consistently until my eyes were fine though.

Just had my last post-op appointment and I am now 20/25. It is definitely worth it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I had PRK a little over four years ago. I was legally blind without corrective lenses (to the point I could only see the vision chart as a giant white blob on a wall without glasses and could only read if something was a couple of inches from my eyes). Unlike you, I have thin corneas and wide pupils to boot: LASIK wasn't a safe option for me. PRK was, so there you go.

Healing took weeks, but I was 20/15 for at least a few months. My right eye did require a touch-up as I had some minor double vision when reading with that eye, but that was easily fixed and the eye healed much, much more quickly the second time.

I have since settled into 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left (20/20 together), no astigmatism or myopia, and even though I passed into my 40s, I don't need reading glasses yet. I can still read the tiny print on medicine bottles with only a little difficulty. My left eye does have some minor halo issues at night, but it doesn't impact my quality of life at all. I spent $5,900 (touch-up was free) and do not regret a penny.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

How long has your prescription been stable? I know a few people who got LASIK that young and then their eyes shifted.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks for the replies. I understand that I will need readings glasses when I get older, it just seemed like a couple people in this thread were reporting that their near vision was worse right after surgery, and I assumed they weren't in their 40s. I could be wrong though. But most people in this thread do seem happy with their results, so that's heartening.

Naramyth posted:

How long has your prescription been stable? I know a few people who got LASIK that young and then their eyes shifted.

My last eye exam was 2 years ago, and I brought my prescription in to my LASIK consultation/exam. They didn't mention whether it had changed in those two years. Would they have said something if it did? I guess I could call them and ask.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wile E. Toyota posted:

...it just seemed like a couple people in this thread were reporting that their near vision was worse right after surgery, and I assumed they weren't in their 40s.

That's usually because it takes eye muscles a couple of weeks to adjust if you've been wearing glasses for years.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My last eye exam was 2 years ago, and I brought my prescription in to my LASIK consultation/exam. They didn't mention whether it had changed in those two years. Would they have said something if it did? I guess I could call them and ask.

It's likely they've changed slightly based upon your age but you'd have noticed if they changed drastically.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Zogo posted:

It's likely they've changed slightly based upon your age but you'd have noticed if they changed drastically.

Then yeah, my eyes have been stable for at least two years. So that's good. I'm going in for my surgery on Thursday. Wish me luck. :ohdear:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

2 weeks post lasik and I'm reading 20 20 easily. 20 15 with strain

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Thanks for the replies. I understand that I will need readings glasses when I get older, it just seemed like a couple people in this thread were reporting that their near vision was worse right after surgery, and I assumed they weren't in their 40s. I could be wrong though. But most people in this thread do seem happy with their results, so that's heartening.

Zogo posted:

That's usually because it takes eye muscles a couple of weeks to adjust if you've been wearing glasses for years.
It's just that I can't focus within 2-3 inches of my face now. It's a matter of focal distance and how far you can flex the lens in your eye. The "center point" of the range you can focus on changes is the best way I can describe it in simple terms, but that also means you can focus farther out better. And that hasn't really improved in the months since the surgery.

It used to be I could read a book if I put my nose all the way into the spine so my eye was almost touching the page. I'll take being able to see clearly much farther than I ever could with glasses over seeing clearly the 2-3 inches in front of my face.

I don't at all need reading glasses and I am not at that age.

E: I guess I basically posted this last page. It's been a while. If you have any more specific questions about this I might be able to answer, ask away!

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 11, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also as a 6 monthish status update while I'm here, there's still a bit of haloing and even less starbursting, but it's nothing serious compared to what I had pre-lasik. Can still see 20/15 or better. Otherwise no complications.

Which I still find somewhat surprising considering I couldn't even tell there were letters (or anything really) on a Snellen chart without my glasses prior to lasik.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

ibntumart posted:

I have since settled into 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left (20/20 together), no astigmatism or myopia, and even though I passed into my 40s, I don't need reading glasses yet. I can still read the tiny print on medicine bottles with only a little difficulty.
Reading back a bit more, I just want to comment on this that I have no problems reading the fine print on medicine bottles or the like. I can read the smallest print on them from like 2 feet away usually. I even pulled out a bottle with some worn text on it to check just now, and fresh new print would be even easier. Something's gotta be really tiny for me to not be able to read it at all at any distance. Like less than .5-1pt font size or something. I'm pretty sure I've actually gotten better at this post-lasik because my vision is so much generally sharper and there's a lot less astigmatism screwing things up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kylra posted:

It's just that I can't focus within 2-3 inches of my face now. It's a matter of focal distance and how far you can flex the lens in your eye. The "center point" of the range you can focus on changes is the best way I can describe it in simple terms, but that also means you can focus farther out better. And that hasn't really improved in the months since the surgery.

It used to be I could read a book if I put my nose all the way into the spine so my eye was almost touching the page. I'll take being able to see clearly much farther than I ever could with glasses over seeing clearly the 2-3 inches in front of my face.

I don't think I was ever able to do it at 2-3 inches. With or without glasses.

I have seen people staring at their iPhones like they were texting using their eyeball though.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Waiting for my LASIK consult right now as we speak! Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone- I've been wanting to get lasik for like forever and y'all finally convinced me to look into it. Fingers crossed I'm a perfect candidate!

Edit: Welp, perfect candidate. Procedure scheduled for next Friday afternoon- I didn't think it'd be this quick, but awesomeeeeee!!!!

30 Goddamned Dicks fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My wife just had her initial consultation at Northeastern Eye Institute in Scranton, PA. They specialize in laser eye surgeries and implantable lenses for cataracts and vision correction, including LASIK/EK, PRK, and ICL.

She's now scheduled with Dr. Thomas S. Boland,M.D. for LASIK (with an IK), iLasik or IntraLASIK branding with an IntraLase machine. Looking over their website, there's mention of Wavefront Custom Vision Correction (VISX® CustomVue™), but I'm not sure that's what she's scheduled for. Is Wavefront Custom something she should insist on?

The optometrist and Dr. Boland were pretty pleased that she had enough corneal thickness despite her -10/-11 prescription for IntraLASIK rather than EK or PRK because of the faster healing. The Dr. did say that there's a slightly reduced chance of achieving 20/20 the first time because of her severe prescription but that they could do it again in 3-6 months if it's not perfect. Something about it being safer to err towards under-correction from her current poor vision rather than overcorrecting and removing too much cornea tissue.

Cost is $4000. Free corrections are offered for 12 month. It's $375 per eye after a year. 6 months of aftercare is included.

Does all of this seem right? Price and time for corrections and aftercare are typical? Any reason to avoid Dr. Boland or Northeastern Eye Institute?

Are there any questions or concerns we should pose before getting it done?

• Locked thread