Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

just 4l ED myself (in Delirium gloves though so it's really 5l), skipping empower cause that doesn't scale the decay dot, it's still really really strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Empower 3: 25 chaos
Empower 4: 9.5 exalted

that last level will get ya

I got a 6L, dual res 801 ES regalia for 11ex. Chromed it BBGGGR in under 60. Popped that cheap level 3 empower and my DPS went up 30%. My essence drain is 19(21) right now, I have 7 of them leveling to 20 shortly. Can't wait to see what this poo poo does with a level 24 essence drain.

I was already walking through content at level 87 (took like 3 days to go from 1->87 with ED) with a level 20 ED(20%). Bosses already melted in seconds on most maps. I'm guessing they'll just keep over from the aids with a few levels tacked onto that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mostly want to be able to do the guardians and maybe shaper. I can run super rippy t15s without much issue, but I tried Hydra last night and gently caress me sideways he's hard. Significantly upgrading my DPS is the cheapest option I have right now, replacing my defensive gear is going to require a ton more currency at this point.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Thinking of doing an Iron Commander build. Anyone have advice for that? Ballistas are fun.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

theshim posted:

Thinking of doing an Iron Commander build. Anyone have advice for that? Ballistas are fun.

Get a lot of dex :v: And the Shaper's Touch Gloves for the 350-500 base health you'll be getting from them when the rest of your gear is set up.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

How often do stash tabs go on sale? I'd like to get some, but would prefer if I can pay less.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Peewi posted:

How often do stash tabs go on sale? I'd like to get some, but would prefer if I can pay less.

Every 3 weeks on the weekend (premium bundle Fri/Sat, regular bundle Sat/Sun). They were on sale this past weekend.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which is the best guide for Witch Vortex?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is Explosive Arrow still a thing? I would like to play a bow build and explosive arrow always sounded pretty fun, but I never tried it. I haven't seen any proper up to date builds that are actually good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Anyone on ESC got a level 3 Leo? I got tired of waiting for a decent Decay dagger to show on trade and rolled a couple myself.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How hard is uber atziri compared to the guardian fights?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eezee posted:

Is Explosive Arrow still a thing? I would like to play a bow build and explosive arrow always sounded pretty fun, but I never tried it. I haven't seen any proper up to date builds that are actually good.

Seems like one of those builds that is still very strong and hasn't had any direct nerfs, but is out of the meta right now for whatever reason. Its a charmingly simple build I always thought and probably hasn't changed much. Take blood magic, stack poo poo loads of hp and fire damage, get a quill rain of course and a kaoms once you can afford it. Swap out gmp for slower proj for single target (you can't use frost wall anymore) and decide between chance to ignite or less duration. Jugg, chieftain and elementalist are all good picks for ascendancy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eezee posted:

I'm running it this league because juggernaut :swoon: If you look up TheRat's posts he posted his build from last league a while back, only big difference is that Frost Wall doesn't work anymore so you probably want alternate gem slots for single target

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Every 3 weeks on the weekend (premium bundle Fri/Sat, regular bundle Sat/Sun). They were on sale this past weekend.

I did see that sale, but had just started playing and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend money on the game.

Does the currency tab go on sale too?

Oh, and can I get an invite to the guild? My character name is Peewi.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 6, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Peewi posted:

I did see that sale, but had just started playing and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend money on the game.

Does the currency tab go on sale too?

Oh, and can I get an invite to the guild? My character name is Peewi.

Currency tab goes on sale about once a month, should be within the next two weeks.

And if nobody else has invited you by the time I get home tonight I will make sure to do it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I finally hit lvl 68 on my CI Cospri's Malice Assassin with maybe the single worst leadup to switching to CI I've ever had.

Going through all of Merciless nonstop dying while not being able to really level and hitting Dried Lake at lvl 62 where I was dying 3 times per Dried Lake instance. Had to switch to Frostbolt from Vortex and got Apoplexy to carry me through Cruel lab because I had 2300 life, no defensive mechanics at all, and also did no damage (hot 3k dps). Cruel lab at least bumped that up to like 5k with Deadly Infusion.

Bought 1 Cospri's Malice, waiting until I get home later today for more people to be on so hopefully I can get a second for a reasonable price. Have around 8500 ES upon switching, though my good ES chest doesn't have 6L on it (though skipping 1 link out of increased aoe - increased accuracy - faster attacks isn't a huge deal, just dropped inc acc for now). Build is already working and is hilarious. I'll be buying the second and leveling a little more to pick up Ghost Reaver and then the build should take off.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im a tshot deadeye. Is Reach really really good, or i spend money elsewhere? Im pretty much minmaxing at this point so ill be more comfortable in red maps. Im already oneshotting normals, but someone said tshot was at 100k damage. Mines at 41k w 2 hairas, vaal haste, 3 p charges, 5 f charges , and 2 flasks. How do i get to 100k? My bow is about 315 dps i think.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Reach is really really good, yeah. The general theme of it is that you get a free GMP that doesn't have the less% attached to the gem. This lets you run another link instead of GMP and it'll end up doing more damage than most bows anywhere near its DPS range.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, it basically gives you two additional more modifiers. Reach is just a ludicrous item.

I love items that let you get effective 7-links, but Reach was just mad overpowered in Prophecy, and is still super super good.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome. What to swap it with? Faster Attacks? That's what I was gonna run if I ever got a 6link? But then if I get a 6link, would poison be good since gmp is gone?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
put in a gmp anyway for more arrows!!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Poison, absolutely. If you do primarily physical damage its a good gem even if you have nothing else to support it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If you're going all phys with poison stacking then you need poison or a source of free poison. If not, don't use poison gem. Gem Priority list:

Pure phys (do not use Hatred):
TShot > GMP* > Inc Crit Strikes* > PPAD > Poison* > Pierce* > Faster Attacks > Slower Projectiles > Inc Crit Damage

Not pure phys (use Hatred):
TShot > GMP* > Inc Crit Strikes* > Added Fire/Phys To Lightning (pick either, not both) > PPAD > WED > Pierce* > Faster Attacks

Drop GMP if you use Reach. Drop Inc Crit Strikes if you're using a 9% Harbinger or whatever and have >70% crit chance without it. Drop Poison if you have a source of guaranteed poison already (Pathfinder, Snakebite). Drop Pierce if you're using Deadeye's +1 Chain. Replace Pierce with Fork if you're using Slivertongue (only use Slivertonuge if you're Deadeye and have +1 Chain).

IMO Poison is only worth it if you're Assassin. As any other ascendancy I'd just go with the ele conversion links. Shattering enemies is great and poison is only ever better on long boss fights.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Now I'm wondering how many things give you 7-links in PoE.

Whispering Ice, Bitterdream (effective 10link :getin:), Lioneye's Vision, Tremor Rod, Realmshaper/ender, I know there's a shitton more...

e: now I kinda want to do an Ignite Vortex Bitterdream character

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rip 8l bladefall mines

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FIRE LASER!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ygiKOfLww

2.4.1 scheduled to drop next Friday, 2.4.2 (with above skill) couple weeks after.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I hope they'll change lightning tendrils into a channeled skill, too

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultima66 posted:

If you're going all phys with poison stacking then you need poison or a source of free poison. If not, don't use poison gem. Gem Priority list:

Pure phys (do not use Hatred):
TShot > GMP* > Inc Crit Strikes* > PPAD > Poison* > Pierce* > Faster Attacks > Slower Projectiles > Inc Crit Damage

Not pure phys (use Hatred):
TShot > GMP* > Inc Crit Strikes* > Added Fire/Phys To Lightning (pick either, not both) > PPAD > WED > Pierce* > Faster Attacks

Drop GMP if you use Reach. Drop Inc Crit Strikes if you're using a 9% Harbinger or whatever and have >70% crit chance without it. Drop Poison if you have a source of guaranteed poison already (Pathfinder, Snakebite). Drop Pierce if you're using Deadeye's +1 Chain. Replace Pierce with Fork if you're using Slivertongue (only use Slivertonuge if you're Deadeye and have +1 Chain).

IMO Poison is only worth it if you're Assassin. As any other ascendancy I'd just go with the ele conversion links. Shattering enemies is great and poison is only ever better on long boss fights.

This is good. But... if I never get a 6l, ICS for sure since I'll be losing all my crit stuff on the bow, right?

theshim
May 1, 2012

whypick1 posted:

FIRE LASER!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ygiKOfLww

2.4.1 scheduled to drop next Friday, 2.4.2 (with above skill) couple weeks after.
:hellyeah:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm considering doing a CI crit inquisitor with one of the new channeled skills next league, provided they don't nerf CI into the ground. Gifts from Above might be worth running for 100% consecrated ground uptime which, with inquisitor buffs and ZO, would be 80% damage 8% ES regen/sec and 25% cast speed, and also permanent immunity to elemental statuses. Should be trivial to hit like 25% ES regen/sec which, with a ~12k pool + some leech, should be enough to just stand still and channel away.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 6, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Really interested to see how they handle it - is it going to be on tick times with pulses of damage? Either way I'm almost guaranteed rolling up one of those, I loving loved Disintegrate in D3 and this looks sweet as hell.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

This is good. But... if I never get a 6l, ICS for sure since I'll be losing all my crit stuff on the bow, right?

6L right now are common, just search for exactly the colors you need and you'll find a corrupted chest for dirt cheap

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sweet name change

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Imagine: LAZER TOTEMS.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And the lasers are on fire.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lasers neat but slow.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Morticia makes me hard posted:

I hope they'll change lightning tendrils into a channeled skill, too

I believe they mentioned Lightning Tendrils, Flameblast, and Incinerate are all channeled skills.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It is, it just...kinda sucks. Apparently they don't want a bunch of Emperor Palpatines running around.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Lightning Tendrils sucks because it's one of the first skills you get.

The official stance is that they want players to switch to a new skill every time they get a set of new active skills from quest rewards. This lets new players who have never played the game before constantly switch skills and never feel like their new skills suck. Basically the progression should go like this:

1. Run around Twilight Strand and kill Hillock with the first skill you get.
2. Immediately switch to whatever skill looks best from the Hillock quest rewards. Note every single quest reward here is made to be decent at clearing small packs of easy monsters in early normal.
3. Go into the Submerged Passage and get a supporting skill.
4. Kill Brutus and get some utility skills, a movement skill, and your first ever support gems.
5. Go to Merveil's area and get your first "good pack clearing skills."
6. Kill Weaver and get "good support gems." Note these are all big more multiplier supports that don't really add any utility.
7. Do Chamber of Sins and get a Heralds/AA (unless you got Clarity, this should be your first mana reservation gems)
8. Find Tolman and get "good" auras and your first curses.
9. Kill Gravicius and get one of the "really good primary skills."
10. Do Library for even more support gems. Note these are all utility supports that don't just give damage multipliers.
11. Kill Voll and get a golem.
12. Kill Daresso/Kaom and get your really good endgame supports.

It's patterned to try to make every point at which you get new gems boost your character in a very specific way. GGG has said that by intention the early Act 1 skills suck, and that to make them useful they would add mechanics to the early game skills so that you would be incentivized to go back and use them in the endgame, like Threshold Jewels. Obviously, there is a wide range of successes and failures on these. Split Arrow and Spectral Throw cover a big range/aoe in the endgame and are still good, Arctic Breath feels way too lovely to be a skill anyone decides to switch to in Act 3, and most Threshold Jewels aren't useful at all.

Also when you think about the design of things like this you realize how easy it is to gloss over this stuff once you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They really need to boost threshold jewels and vaal gems. Most of the threshold jewels have never been good at all, and vaal gems have fallen behind the power creep so badly they're mostly a joke. Notable exceptions exist for both, of course.

• Locked thread