Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I mean I guess the only things you can do in Westworld that you can't irl without getting in trouble or catching some STD are killing and loving but still.

It'd be cool if you could do actual dangerous stuff without the possibility of getting hurt, like jumping off a cliff, diving in some underwater cave, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It's like playing Red Dead Redemption in real life, people treat it like a video-game. The Wild West setting does evoke gunfight and violence, maybe some other xWorlds have people normally going in a different approach.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't think that you have to assume he is a human. Although unlikely, he could be an undetected "ghost in the machine" who escaped and gained sentience years before. Of course, it would mean that he has to have overridden the host/guest no kill policy

That is an alternative but they seem to have such control that someone like that would pop in the vigilance cams "who's that ??" or they would know some robot is missing.
He could still be some kind of system test from the park or someone employed to try to hack/disrupt the system

Mad Wack posted:

he makes a comment early on saying he paid good money, and as a result wants to see the host fight. This makes me think that he is probably still paying to get in.

Oh, forgot about that, but he still could be saying that referring to other visitors

El Hefe posted:

I mean I guess the only things you can do in Westworld that you can't irl without getting in trouble or catching some STD are killing and loving but still.

It'd be cool if you could do actual dangerous stuff without the possibility of getting hurt, like jumping off a cliff, diving in some underwater cave, etc.

Some people probably do that, we're just not seeing it. The guy in the train did say he just went camping and fishing with his family.

Another thing I was thinking is that they must have some human staff on site (in character maybe?) to solve some problems and to prevent visitor x visitor problems and hosts bugs

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 6, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While Harris says he's been coming for 30 years, I don't believe that is indicative of any particular velocity, just that his first trip was 30 years ago. I still believe he has gone there several times, and this point doesn't really matter, and well... poo poo this post doesn't matter.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I like the show but I don't understand why it seems like every guest is obsessed with killing.

So far the major theme of the show seems to be the ethical and philosophical issues surrounding how people treat possibly self aware beings.

Following someone who brings their family on a camping and fishing trip is pretty tangential. On the other hand, watching people treat them like poo poo because they're not real people is exactly the point.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
But why would anyone pay the apparently large amounts of money needed to go to Westworld if they were only interested in camping? you can do that irl without paying much, if you are rich you can just hire some hunter type to stay with you if you're worried about bears or whatever, no need to go to Westworld for that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El Hefe posted:

But why would anyone pay the apparently large amounts of money needed to go to Westworld if they were only interested in camping? you can do that irl without paying much, if you are rich you can just hire some hunter type to stay with you if you're worried about bears or whatever, no need to go to Westworld for that.

For all we know the "outside world" is a polluted wasteland.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

hobbesmaster posted:

For all we know the "outside world" is a polluted wasteland.

I doubt they'd have the resources to build something like Westworld, or to even have clients willing to pay the exorbitant prices, if the entire world was a polluted wasteland.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

El Hefe posted:

I like the show but I don't understand why it seems like every guest is obsessed with killing.
But that's incorrect. There were also some people interested in no-strings-attached loving. (And that family with the kid.)

That said, that's probably just because that was only the first episode, and HBO wanted to get you hooked.

(I can imagine people with social anxiety, depression and mental disorders going to a Westworld place to try out (benign)behaviors they are too afraid to try with real people. :3: )

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Looks like the next episode is going to introduce two new guests? Maybe we'll experience Westworld through a noob's eyes with them and they won't be rapist murderers.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

meristem posted:

But that's incorrect. There were also some people interested in no-strings-attached loving. (And that family with the kid.)

That said, that's probably just because that was only the first episode, and HBO wanted to get you hooked.

(I can imagine people with social anxiety, depression and mental disorders going to a Westworld place to try out (benign)behaviors they are too afraid to try with real people. :3: )

Like I said in the other post, killing and loving.

And for all we know the family with the kid were just planning on leaving lil Timmy in some Disneyland-like park and then go off on a loving and killing spree in another town.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

El Hefe posted:

It's a park and they have some cities (children friendly) where you can relive how things were in the far past. It's an experience you're not going to get just going to some park.

They probably have some plots you can interact that doesn't involve sex or violence. People pay to go to themed parks, this is just taking it to the next (final?) level.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ZZZorcerer posted:

It's a park and they have some cities (children friendly) where you can relive how things were in the far past. It's an experience you're not going to get just going to some park.

They probably have some plots you can interact that doesn't involve sex or violence. People pay to go to themed parks, this is just taking it to the next (final?) level.

But you don't need androids or whatever the hosts are to run a wild west theme park, it wouldn't make sense to create and price such a theme park so that only rich people could go to either.

Imagine if only rich people could go to Disneyland, it'd be a failure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If anything, this show overestimates human nature. We want to break the rules because they are rules. If there are no consequences for killing a host, then why are you doing it? In the show at least, people are driven by the narrative. It's like when Ed Harris tells Teddy that someone has to lose to give winning meaning. No matter how real the illusion is, it's going to become unreal when you can just walk up and cap the bank robbin' gang with no consequence or danger.

If you've ever played an MMPORG, you know that NPCs exist up to the point they are useful and more often or not that use is screw over other players. My inner sadist would spend my Westworld time griefing the other guests. The HBO Tourism website indicates that the Abernathy farm is an attraction, so I'm guessing that seducing Delores (and cucking Teddy) is a pretty popular ride. My heel turn wouldn't be killing the robots, It would be waiting for some greasy nerd who came in on my train to put the moves on Delores and then sniping her though a window when he's about to score.

ZZZorcerer posted:

They can design the levels like that, but they've also sold me that I can do ANYTHING without consequence so there's nothing stopping me from bringing the sex and violence to the child-friendly areas.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 6, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The hosts look, act and feel completely real, if you rape or kill any of them imho its like if you had done that to a real person (at least on a spiritual or moral level), imagine if you go with a relative or friend to Westworld and you see them raping Delores for instance, that wouldn't change your opinion of them?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

They can design the levels like that, but they've also sold me that I can do ANYTHING without consequence so there's nothing stopping me from bringing the sex and violence to the child-friendly areas.

That's marketing, while you can do anything to hosts, just as you sign a waiver giving all your bodily fluids you probably sign stuff that you can't hurt other guests, or that some zones you can't do some stuff because of children etc.

They're monitoring the park, there are some rules (mostly dealing with interaction between guests). Maybe they'll touch it later when introducing the new guests.

El Hefe posted:

But you don't need androids or whatever the hosts are to run a wild west theme park, it wouldn't make sense to create and price such a theme park so that only rich people could go to either.

Imagine if only rich people could go to Disneyland, it'd be a failure.

Well, to have one functioning with this level of fidelity you kinda need the robots to do the NPCs.

And Disney is expensive for a great number of people (At least here in Brazil the prices would exclude something like at least 70% of the population). And don't you have some exclusive clubs for ultra rich ?

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 6, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

El Hefe posted:

The hosts look, act and feel completely real, if you rape or kill any of them imho its like if you had done that to a real person (at least on a spiritual or moral level), imagine if you go with a relative or friend to Westworld and you see them raping Delores for instance, that wouldn't change your opinion of them?

In China it's a pretty common business practice to go to a whore house with your new business partners, get wasted, and do horrific poo poo. The shame is a bonding agent.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Welcome to the moral quandary of the show.

This is the exact point this show is attempting to spotlight, in a social atmosphere.

Also, brace yourself, because at some point someone is going to do something questionable with one of the child hosts.

Just, like, in, 1870.

:sigh:

Woden
May 6, 2006

El Hefe posted:

If they look and act completely real then there'd be a ton of guest on guest violence, the guests have to know the difference somehow unless they're supposed to use a safe word or some poo poo.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My question is do the Hosts self-heal to some degree, or does some poor fucker have to go drag the same group of dead bandits in for repairs every other night?

See, you'd think that if certain hosts were nothing more than targets and bullet catchers (or even just popular hosts), there would be multiple copies. After all, it's just a robot running a computer program. It's just easier to have a few on hand, fix them all up at once and so on.

Yet this isn't the case. Even in cold storage, every host looked unique and the father was of course replaced by the bartender. This uniqueness really adds to their humanity.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Woden posted:

If they look and act completely real then there'd be a ton of guest on guest violence, the guests have to know the difference somehow unless they're supposed to use a safe word or some poo poo.

It really doesn't matter, another example would be if a guest grabs a child host and brutally rapes him/her, does that make it okay because it's not a real child?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

El Hefe posted:

imagine if you go with a relative or friend to Westworld and you see them raping Delores for instance, that wouldn't change your opinion of them?

I made the mistake of having witch burned at the stake in Crusader Kings 2 when my partner was looking over my shoulder, she wouldn't talk to me the rest of the evening :negative:

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

El Hefe posted:

It really doesn't matter, another example would be if a guest grabs a child host and brutally rapes him/her, does that make it okay because it's not a real child?

If any of my friends went to a holodeck and did anything less than brutally raping a child I would think less of them and have to reconsider our friendship.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Yeah, I've been looking at myself differently ever since I butchered a dead enemy and turned the meat into dog food in Rimworld...

Still. I choose to see the beauty.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Yep we are definitely in midweek TVIV thread form

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
:suicide:

Anyway, http://www.hbo.com/watch-free-episodes If you want to tell people about the show, the pilot is up right now for free.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why would anyone pay money for Grand Theft Auto when you can murder prostitutes and shoot cops for free? :confused:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What you're paying for is the attention to detail in the historical costumes and sets.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Pissflaps posted:

My prediction? I think Thandie Newton is a human not a host.

Also my wife would be furious if she caught me having sex with a robot woman.

That makes the bit where the shoot man moved her out the way of the safe a nice bit of foreshadowing.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Megaspel posted:

That makes the bit where the shoot man moved her out the way of the safe a nice bit of foreshadowing.

That would be neat.

I think that we should also be prepared to see a robot among the staff who we think are all human.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

El Hefe posted:

There are people on the internet that complain every time a sandbox video game comes out and you can't murder children. Personally, I'd think it's true hosed up, and would you think less of that person if raped a grown host? Murdered a host child? Murdered a grown host, which seems to be the main attraction?

I really liked the scenes with the yuppie couple who pose with the dead bodies and the Chinese tourists. It definitely shows some people are mainly here for the show, not to be a part of it. The yuppie guy seemed genuinely surprised that he shot the bandito.

Edit: The one video game that actually had people becoming really judgmental really fast isn't GTA or God of War. It's Catherine. I've known a couple to break up over it just because the guy playing hesitated too long over the "Would you cheat" option. I personally got yelled at by an ex for being okay with having a perfect robot waifu.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 6, 2016

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I haven't seen the episode since last Sunday and haven't read the entire thread but, if my memory serves me correctly, there were no children hosts, just like in GTA.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wizgot posted:

I haven't seen the episode since last Sunday and haven't read the entire thread but, if my memory serves me correctly, there were no children hosts, just like in GTA.

what about in the intro scene in which the two kids play a prank on the hobo?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

what about in the intro scene in which the two kids play a prank on the hobo?

They could be children of guests?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

That would be neat.

I think that we should also be prepared to see a robot among the staff who we think are all human.

It's also not the only hint. When the bad guys come charging in she doesn't act at all like there is any possible danger to her and her line delivery is very staged in that scene (like she is playing a role).

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only children shown were the two playing the prank on the hobo, and the family by the river, so all the kids might just be guests. And no child-sized bodies down in cold storage either.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Lack of Gravitas posted:

And no child-sized bodies down in cold storage either.

Ya but I wouldn't take that as prove for anything. There are obvious real life reasons why you wouldn't show naked kids even if there were host kids.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Like, as compelling as a scene with a child host realizing they'll never grow up or whatever could maybe be, I wouldn't be surprised or blame them (both the show writers and the in-universe theme park creators) if they just had no host kids to sidestep all the issues that it'd come with.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I don't think that the average person's vacation dream list includes "kill a stranger" without consequence. Like, maybe it would be cathartic if I faxed in a photo of Ted from accounting and they make him an end boss for the week.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

LinkesAuge posted:

It's also not the only hint. When the bad guys come charging in she doesn't act at all like there is any possible danger to her and her line delivery is very staged in that scene (like she is playing a role).

I am guessing you guys didn't see the promo for upcoming episodes at the end of the pilot. Thandie appears to be one of the robots. She wakes up on an operating table in the facility and not only appears independently motivated but seems to become aware of the fact that she has died countless times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya but I wouldn't take that as prove for anything. There are obvious real life reasons why you wouldn't show naked kids even if there were host kids.

Well of course - if they were to do that then I'd hope they'd use some blank featureless shells, like the ones coming out of the milk bath. But we haven't seen anything yet either in the park or in the facility that proves there are child hosts, thankfully.

• Locked thread