Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Atlanta is maybe the worst sports town in America. AtlUtd has a tough market to break into
Miami *cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Or I could just drink openly on the train because it's allowed.

Fucks sake, can Seattle do anything right?

This year Seattle can't even figure out how to not make the playoffs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Just pour your beer into a coffee cup. Go to a 7/11 and buy the biggest cup they have, along with a 6 pack of whatever.

Ya, not legally being able to drink on a train has never stopped me from drinking on a train.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

This year Seattle can't even figure out how to not make the playoffs.

They shot at the ground and missed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Blas Perez suspended 1 game for kicking Herculez Gomez in the taint. No word on Evans' red card appeal, but I'd be shocked if that gets overturned.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I get the impression that, for some inexplicable reason, Blank really wants this to succeed on a personal level, he's not pulling quite the usual NFL-owner shenanigans like, say, the Krafts or the Hunts. So I'm actually pretty optimistic about ATL managing to stick around.

Huh? The Hunts at one pointed owned half of the teams in this league out of necessity. Lamar Hunt's name is on the USOC trophy. That's way more like your description of Arthur Blank than of Robert Kraft.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 6, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Blas Perez suspended 1 game for kicking Herculez Gomez in the taint. No word on Evans' red card appeal, but I'd be shocked if that gets overturned.
What the gently caress does Evans think HQ is going to see on appeal? He aimed a full-force headbutt at another player. It was as clear a red as Morales' stupid elbow to the face of Cristian Roldan earlier in the second half.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crazy Ted posted:

Miami *cough*

That's why I said maybe

Though I think Dolphins games were packed for the 90s Marino era. Atlanta couldn't do that for the Braves

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

Huh? The Hunts at one pointed owned half of the teams in this league out of necessity. Lamar Hunt's name is on the USOC trophy. That's way more like your description of Arthur Blank than of Robert Kraft.

Mea culpa. I guess I was thinking more of the post-Lamar Hunts who haven't seemed quite as invested in the success of their team (but then again, how could they?).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Mea culpa. I guess I was thinking more of the post-Lamar Hunts who haven't seemed quite as invested in the success of their team (but then again, how could they?).
The Hunts also propped up teams in the original NASL. The family has been involved in both football and "football" for...50-60 years?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Tigren posted:

Stadium being on public transit is immensely helpful. A 45 minute train ride turns into a 45 minute tailgate.

Yea except it's an hour drive cause the train system is poo poo and no one lives near it. I'm guessing you have not been to Atlanta.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

Yea except it's an hour drive cause the train system is poo poo and no one lives near it. I'm guessing you have not been to Atlanta.

Nope! I know nothing about it. But I enjoy taking public transportation to stadiums so when someone mentioned you could do that in Atlanta, I got excited.

Other than Portland, are there really any MLS stadiums you can take public transportation to easily?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tigren posted:

Nope! I know nothing about it. But I enjoy taking public transportation to stadiums so when someone mentioned you could do that in Atlanta, I got excited.

Other than Portland, are there really any MLS stadiums you can take public transportation to easily?

Centurylink is very accessible by transit, it's right next to the light rail/bus tunnel, and an Amtrak station even, so you could take the train up from Tacoma, as well as the regional bus system. Lots of people drive in, but lots use transit. Seattle's public transit is no where near where it needs to be, but for getting to the stadiums, it's not bad.

Joke answer: Yankee Stadium

e: I also have to assume Vancouver's is pretty good, BC Place is very close to downtown. I've just never needed to use it.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

foobardog posted:

Centurylink is very accessible by transit, it's right next to the light rail/bus tunnel, and an Amtrak station even, so you could take the train up from Tacoma, as well as the regional bus system. Lots of people drive in, but lots use transit. Seattle's public transit is no where near where it needs to be, but for getting to the stadiums, it's not bad.

Joke answer: Yankee Stadium

e: I also have to assume Vancouver's is pretty good, BC Place is very close to downtown. I've just never needed to use it.

Oh poo poo, duh. If I remember right Vancouver was downtown and pretty easily accessible.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Tigren posted:

Oh poo poo, duh. If I remember right Vancouver was downtown and pretty easily accessible.

This was posted earlier in this thread: a somewhat accurate gallery showing what areas are a sub-45 minute bus ride to each team's stadium.

Some of them are...yeah....

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Tigren posted:

Redbull arena is really easy to get to from a ton of places in NJ and nyc.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

whypick1 posted:

This was posted earlier in this thread: a somewhat accurate gallery showing what areas are a sub-45 minute bus ride to each team's stadium.

Some of them are...yeah....

Did we ever figure out why Chicago's looked like a drawing of a dick?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seltzer posted:

With the big problem - of course - being that it's in New Jersey.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

With the big problem - of course - being that it's in New Jersey.

Go on.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
RFK is incredibly accessible by car, subway, bicycle, etc. It's actually so well built into the city that I can (and am about to) use it as a traffic shortcut, since the original access road from 395 allows you to skip huge swaths of backups. They don't lock their gates into the parking lot since there's a handful of parks around the complex and some sort of dirt/salt refinery next to it. Super useful.

The new joint will be a bit of a walk from the Metro. On days where they share game day with the Nationals, it could be Really Bad. Plus their lack of tailgating areas likely means a lack of parking.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Just for Nats games Metro can get pretty bad.

It's so bad sometimes that taking the yellow line in I ride north all the way to McPherson square then hop lines to avoid the massive clusterfuck at L'enfant. I imagine with United games on the same day it will be a wrestling match for space on the trains.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
This might actually compel me to buy an annual pass for Bikeshare. There's a path that runs from Bladensburg all the way to the bridge to Nats Park thanks to a few pavings the past year or two.

Still not buying season tickets until they get that stupid rear end ban-you-for-Twitter language out of their contract.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Tigren posted:

BMO has two different transportation agencies that drop you off/pick up right from the stadium

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

BMO has two different transportation agencies that drop you off/pick up right from the stadium

Uber and Lyft?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I take the bus to the Clink for Sounders games. On weekdays during major commute time it's a bit over an hour, but on weekends, it's just about exactly 45 min. I live in the burbs. It'd be 25 min to drive it in a car.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Seltzer posted:

It's pretty easy from the entire tri-state area, there are quite a few fans who make the trek from CT as well. You have to transfer twice but it's not bad at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

It's pretty easy from the entire tri-state area, there are quite a few fans who make the trek from CT as well. You have to transfer twice but it's not bad at all.

Yea every NYCFC "fan" who suddenly had a team last season because they couldn't be assed to figure out how to take a 40 minute train ride to Newark for five years can gently caress off.

The map for NYRB arena travel time is really bad. Is it bus only? Because I've taken the train from parts in NJ not on the map and parts of NY not highlighted in 45 minutes or under.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Houston officially out of the playoffs, Colorado assured of finishing in the top 2 in the West.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
drat you Colorado. Please lose. Don't you steal the shield at the last second.:tinfoil:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shinjobi posted:

drat you Colorado. Please lose. Don't you steal the shield at the last second.:tinfoil:

Karma's a bitch, ain't it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Just for Nats games Metro can get pretty bad.

It's so bad sometimes that taking the yellow line in I ride north all the way to McPherson square then hop lines to avoid the massive clusterfuck at L'enfant. I imagine with United games on the same day it will be a wrestling match for space on the trains.

You mean Mt. Vernon Square, right? I feel bad for Green Line commuters on Nats days. Pain in the rear end.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If you're feeling like a good walk, you can skip the L'Enfant nightmare and head up South Capitol all the way to Cap South Metro so you don't get trapped in the nexus. I get the feeling some combination of that and urban cycling is in my future.

The streetcar, if they could get the political will for it, would also work if they ran a second line between Union Station and the stadiums.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

You mean Mt. Vernon Square, right? I feel bad for Green Line commuters on Nats days. Pain in the rear end.

Yah, got my squares mixed up, its at the convention center basically, perfect place to switch directions and get a nice place on a train before 10000 people board at L'enfant.

I can't imagine how infuriating it must be to be commuting home and run into that mess. I'm guessing people let it happen once and only once before they find some alternate solution. I'd get a cab, and Uber, anything other than fight it out on that platform at 6pm when I'm trying to get home from the office.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 11, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm going to be in Northern Virginia over the weekend. I'm seriously debating going to the DC/NYCFC in my Redbulls jersey. What's traffic like in DC sunday afternoon/evening.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

I'm going to be in Northern Virginia over the weekend. I'm seriously debating going to the DC/NYCFC in my Redbulls jersey. What's traffic like in DC sunday afternoon/evening.

It's mostly fine, but you should definitely take the Metro if you can. Parking around RFK is an expensive, time consuming nightmare, and there's actually going to be a big crowd at that game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

camoseven posted:

It's mostly fine, but you should definitely take the Metro if you can. Parking around RFK is an expensive, time consuming nightmare, and there's actually going to be a big crowd at that game.

Plus there is still a small chance the Nats will be playing at home the same day, so you'd have to drive past their stadium on the way.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

camoseven posted:

I'm a little west of bethesda, could I cut over and park near there and take one of the stops on red line?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

I'm a little west of bethesda, could I cut over and park near there and take one of the stops on red line?

You'd probably be better off driving to and parking at Tyson's Corner or McLean on the Silver Line cause that'll take you straight to RFK. You'd have to transfer from the red line if you went to Bethesda, which can be kind of a pain on weekends.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 11, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

thelazyblank posted:

Did we ever figure out why Chicago's looked like a drawing of a dick?

Because it's basically just highlighting the PACE bus that takes you between the stadium and Midway (which doesn't take anywhere near 45 minutes). From there, you can get on the orange line.

Toyota Park is by no means easily accessible from public transit, but it's not as bad as the map makes it seem.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 13, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hello Towel posted:

Because it's basically just highlighting the PACE bus that takes you between the stadium and Midway (which doesn't take anywhere near 45 minutes). From there, you can get on the orange line.

Toyota Park is by no means easily accessible from public transit, but it's not as bad as the map makes it seem.

I asked earlier but is that map bus only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Based on what it has for Chicago, I think it might be, or else at least some distance up past Midway on the train would be highlighted.

• Locked thread