Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

"...Eva-sama...?"

Eva was face up on the bed... on the bed with her shoes still on...?

Kumasawa, who had fearfully entered after Kanon and who was hiding behind his back, screamed a short 'Hii-!' again when she saw Eva like that. Eva's shoes had been the first part of her that Kanon had seen, so, at first, he'd had a strange feeling since she was wearing shoes in bed, but when Eva's head shifted into his line of sight, Kanon couldn't help but let out a short scream like Kumasawa...

BGM: Golden Slaughterer

At the base of where it was stuck in, blood dripped down, staining the sheets on the other side bright red...

Kumasawa's knees gave way once more, and she sank down on the floor. Her mouth kept flapping open and closed, but she couldn't even scream. Eva, with some kind of weapon sticking out of her forehead, was dead. Both eyes were open wide, and the image of the person who killed her must have been burned into them, but the only mouth that could say who had been closed for all eternity.

Even though that forehead was the last place they wanted to look, they couldn't tear their eyes from it...

"...What about Hideyoshi-sama...? Hideyoshi-sama...!"

Eva was on top of her bed, but the other bed was empty. Where was Hideyoshi?!

After taking a backwards glance at Kumasawa, still on her knees and stupefied, he checked the bathroom just in case. At the moment he opened the door, he was greeted by steam and the sound of the shower. The bathroom was of the same familiar style as most hotel bathrooms. When taking a shower, a waterproof curtain was used to keep water from flying out.

Just like Eva, a weapon with a demon-like design was stuck into his forehead. Since his head had been under the hot water of shower the whole time, his face wasn't half covered and filthy with blood like Eva's had been, but the sight of him dead while still taking a shower was tragic enough...

Just then, Natsuhi's voice rang through the hall. She was probably coming with Genji.

"...We shouldn't touch it carelessly... The culprit's fingerprints might be left on it... We should hand it over to the police..."
"...They went out of their way to leave it here. I'm sure they wouldn't have left fingerprints."

As Natsuhi said that, she picked up the envelope... And before checking its contents, she entered the room herself, when she found Eva, dead.

"Th... this is... truly atrocious..."
"...Kanon, turn off the shower... Don't let this be any more pitiful than it needs to...!"
"Y... yes."

Kanon gripped his handkerchief and twisted the valve, turning off the shower. In the bathtub, a small jar of body soap had fallen with its cap off. It really looked like he had been attacked while taking a shower. There was still a small splash of blood clinging to the white bathtub, and the combination of red and white made a horrible contrast.

"...Doctor Nanjo..."
"...I, I understand... No signs of postmortem lividity... Rigor mortis hasn't begun either. We should probably assume that about one hour has passed since they died... But even so, how a weapon with such a short handle could do that to the skull... I cannot imagine..."

Nanjo checked their pulse and their pupils, making certain of their deaths once more. As Kanon watched this businesslike treatment, he thought... Couldn't you tell at a glance that they're dead without doing all that?

Nanjo thought about removing the weapon, but after deciding it would be better to preserve the scene and hand it over to the police, he left it alone. But he couldn't see the blade well at the base of the wound. Even more importantly, it wasn't shaped like a flat blade, but was conical. He noticed that, rather than a knife, it was more like a short handled spear, something with a shape better suited for thrusting than slicing. Rather than a short spear, some people might call it a thick icepick.

At any rate, the weapon's unsettling design made it obvious what its original purpose was, and how that purpose was carried out. No further words were needed to describe it...

The rising urge to vomit was exactly the same feeling she'd had that morning at the gardening storehouse... For a while, Natsuhi couldn't help but stand with her back facing the guest room, fighting that sickness in her stomach...

"...A, anyways, we can't let the kids... we can't let George-kun see this room. Quickly, close this room up...!"
"...Y, yes, it shouldn't be shown to them... If George-san saw his parents in this brutal state..."

But the recklessly approaching footsteps were obviously George's even before he came flying into the room.

George and the other children had been waiting in the parlor. But when they had seen Genji call Natsuhi out, and had noticed her turn pale and fly out of the room, they had felt that he might have been the bearer of bad news. And when they saw a large group of people gathered around the guest room, they were sure of it...

"Aunt Eva and uncle Hideyoshiare safe, right?! Hey, Kanon-kun! What's this all about?!"
"...Battler-sama..."

Kanon didn't have to say anything. George's scream after he ran into the room told them everything they needed to know.

Natsuhi touched George's shoulder with her hand, but he violently shook her off. George fell over beside Eva, and buried his face in the bed in front of his mother's face, wailing. Then he pounded on the bed with his fist, over and over again...

"...Ge, George nii-san, ...h, hang in there... huh... Battler?"
"...Battler-sama..."

"Horrible... That's horrible... He proposed to the girl he loved and lost her the next day... And on the same day, even his Mom and Dad were killed... I... isn't that too harsh..."

Of course, all dead people are equally pitiable. But to Battler, those left alone by the deaths of others were far more pitiable. Everyone here now had lost someone close to them. George wasn't the only one pitiable. However, George's pain was far greater than everyone else's.

"...Battler..."
"You know, all people die sooner or later... If you're human, the day will eventually come when you must fight the sorrow of losing someone close to you. But still, shouldn't that day be far in the future for Aniki... and shouldn't those deaths visit him one at a time...?!! Horrible... that's too horrible... That bastard... that bastard...! What happened to human compassion...?!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"
"...Uu-... Battler, don't cry, don't cry..."

Maria tried to comfort Battler in a mechanical-sounding voice... Battler violently wiped his tears.

"Aah... drat it, I won't cry anymore... Tears of regret, tears of sadness, I won't shed them again... Aah, it's all useless. The witch has backed me into a corner. I'm always on the defensive...! And that's useless, it's all useless! I'll turn the chessboard over...!! That bastard probably thinks we'll be running scared like sheep until tomorrow without trying anything. But guess what, I'll turn it over!! That bastard can't escape this island until tomorrow either...! We won't be the ones hiding away, pissing ourselves, that bastard will! I'll expose you, you'll see. By tomorrow... no, I won't wait for tomorrow, tonight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So this one seems to be more interesting if there were 18 people. It seems like everyone was travelling in pairs or hanging out as a group. Unlike the previous late night murder, alibis should be pretty solid for this one (unless Nanjo is complicit, of course, and mucks up time of death). That would make Kinzo an obvious suspect, of course.

And it's a closed room murder, too.

Also Golden Slaughterer is still an awesome track.

So per the epitaph there won't be any death for a day, and after that there's no indicator of who will be targeted for death, just method.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The profile page has been updated.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

It's quite simple, Eva is the culprit, killed herself and her husband just to spite Natsuhi.

Case closed, no magic here.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The culprit could have left via one of the windows, we know they didn't leave from the bathroom because of the steam but a window is still viable.

I'd say the servants are most suspect here then, because they'd have motive to revenge Shannon and could cover up for their alibis. Kinzo did specifically tell Kanon he needed to participate as well, so that and his anger over Shannon's murder might explain the change from passivity.

Plus the kitchen usually has a lot of knives.

Edit: corrected typo

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
His name is Kinzo.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

oath2order posted:

It's quite simple, Eva is the culprit, killed herself and her husband just to spite Natsuhi.

Case closed, no magic here.

I'm sure this is a joke but Eva has too much at stake with the inheritance and Hideyoshi needs the money. Suicide seems unlikely.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

HiKaizer posted:

The culprit could have left via one of the windows, we know they didn't leave from the bathroom because of the steam but a window is still viable.

Eva's profile is saying the windows were locked.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

I'm sure this is a joke but Eva has too much at stake with the inheritance and Hideyoshi needs the money. Suicide seems unlikely.

I think you're really underestimating just how much Eva likes trolling Natsuhi.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

tiistai posted:

Eva's profile is saying the windows were locked.

The profile shoots down some other possibilities, too. No throwing the ice pick at Eva through the door, unless she was in a different position and then fell when she died.

Also, is Maria writing the revised character profiles? Because it sure sounds like crazy Maria. Kihihihihihihihihi.

Also, the epitaph and Beatrice's letter match if you assume that collecting everything of Kinzo includes everyone's lives. "Everything will be returned including the part already collected. " vs " the resurrection of the souls of all the dead. ".

Qrr fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 6, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nothing in Umineko actually exists. It was all a virtual reality experience.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I assumed the profiles were just from the start of the game. I'll be reading them more carefully now!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Theory about the initial six murders: poison has to be involved in order to take out such a large amount of people at once, and without any sign of a struggle on their bodies. In the updated profiles it says that the smashing of the heads only happened after death, so for whatever reason, the murderer found it necessary to do so to each of the victims. For what reason, I don't know, but it has to be necessary.

Theory about the new murders: Hideyoshi died first, and the warm shower was used to throw off the estimated time of death. Eva walks in to see dead Hideyoshi, gets killed herself. The murderer was in the room with them the entire time, and snuck out after Kanon and Genji leave to get bolt cutters.

I've got no clue about anything so far, but I like crafting theories.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EagerSleeper posted:

Theory about the new murders: Hideyoshi died first, and the warm shower was used to throw off the estimated time of death. Eva walks in to see dead Hideyoshi, gets killed herself. The murderer was in the room with them the entire time, and snuck out after Kanon and Genji leave to get bolt cutters.

I don't think anyone could squeeze through the gap in a door left by a chain-bolt. Unless it was like, Slenderman or something. You've got maybe three inches of space at most.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

ProfessorProf posted:

"Witches sure are incredible. Tell her, if she feels like committing another crime, to do it in a way that no human could... and make me believe that a 19th person... no, a witch, exists."

Well, Battler did ask for something only a witch could've done...

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

The chain lock makes this difficult, but what really kills it is how quickly everyone arrives at the scene this time. If we assume Kumasawa is an accomplice, it's possible to have the culprit hide in the room, then sneak out as Kanon checks the bathroom while he's not looking. Issue there is, they run straight into Natsuhi in the hallway.

As if getting the culprit out isn't enough, we also have to figure out who painted the door in the 5 minute window while Kanon and Genji were gone. As they go to fetch Kumasawa and Nanjo respectively, and Genji also grabs Natsuhi straight afterwards, this gives all the servants alibis for that time frame. It's also proof that none of the servants were inside the room waiting, which shatters any theory with the servants at the heart of it.

Hell, keep reading, and everyone arrives in groups. No-one we know of could have hidden in the room. No-one left through the window. You can't get through the door while it's chain locked. I'm going to assume that the door can't be chain-locked from the outside, and the final nail in the coffin is that Kanon checks the chain lock not only when he first arrives at the room, but also just before he cuts it with the bolt clippers.

I've got nothing this time.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

vector_to posted:

The chain lock makes this difficult, but what really kills it is how quickly everyone arrives at the scene this time. If we assume Kumasawa is an accomplice, it's possible to have the culprit hide in the room, then sneak out as Kanon checks the bathroom while he's not looking. Issue there is, they run straight into Natsuhi in the hallway.

As if getting the culprit out isn't enough, we also have to figure out who painted the door in the 5 minute window while Kanon and Genji were gone. As they go to fetch Kumasawa and Nanjo respectively, and Genji also grabs Natsuhi straight afterwards, this gives all the servants alibis for that time frame. It's also proof that none of the servants were inside the room waiting, which shatters any theory with the servants at the heart of it.

Hell, keep reading, and everyone arrives in groups. No-one we know of could have hidden in the room. No-one left through the window. You can't get through the door while it's chain locked. I'm going to assume that the door can't be chain-locked from the outside, and the final nail in the coffin is that Kanon checks the chain lock not only when he first arrives at the room, but also just before he cuts it with the bolt clippers.

I've got nothing this time.

Hey, there's one obvious explanation!

It was the witch.

:v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Qrr posted:

So this one seems to be more interesting if there were 18 people. It seems like everyone was travelling in pairs or hanging out as a group. Unlike the previous late night murder, alibis should be pretty solid for this one (unless Nanjo is complicit, of course, and mucks up time of death). That would make Kinzo an obvious suspect, of course.

And it's a closed room murder, too.

Also Golden Slaughterer is still an awesome track.

So per the epitaph there won't be any death for a day, and after that there's no indicator of who will be targeted for death, just method.

I think my favorite has always been World End Dominator, among other reasons due to the scenes it's used for, but we won't be hearing that for the first time until late Episode 2 if I recall correctly. Golden Slaughterer is definitely one of the best though.

The murder weapon sure does cast suspicion on Kinzo, or at least someone who's been in his room, though. Because where else in the house would you find occultish spikes like those? Unless it really is the witch. :v:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Kinzo and the witch are in cahoots; I'd stake my life on it!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

little_firebird posted:

I'll also stake his life on it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bman in 2288 posted:

I'll also stake his life on it.

As would I. You know if there's an actual witch around she's not going to let him just vanish without a trace when he could go out as spectacularlyhammishly as possible.

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!
Been catching up with this thread the past couple of days and am finding myself rather excited to see how others react, perceive the actions, and theorize all the mind trip that is Umineko. Very excited. I find myself looking most forward to seeing from the rest of this episode to the sixth (assuming your determination will hold up for that long, though I'm hoping you will succeed with posting all eight that the others could not).

Prof, I'm to assume that you also plan to include the transitions between episodes?

Demon Kaizoku fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 7, 2016

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

little_firebird posted:

... I'm an idiot.

Kinzo's the culprit for this one. He's the only person who wasn't part of a group beforehand. I imagine Eva would be more than happy to let him in to talk inheritance, then she and Hideyoshi gets killed. He's still hiding in the room, which explains the chain lock.

Still not too sure on the blood on the door, but I'm sure I'll work something out.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Natsuhi proclaimed it as though she didn't care whether we agreed or not. If anyone had a right to object, it would have been George, but he looked as though he had shed enough tears. George nodded slightly, still facing away from us, and when he stood up, everyone else agreed too.

The letter in the head's western-style envelope that Natsuhi had picked up still hadn't been opened. But now that we had decided to leave this room, she had decided to unseal it in the parlor, where everyone could watch.

BGM: Hour of Darkness

"...Uu-. Stinks?"
"Ah, did you notice it too, Maria? ...What is this stench... it smells awful..."

When everyone sniffed the air, they did notice a horrible burnt smell drifting through the hallway, one that none of us had smelled until then.

"...I will go quickly to check the kitchen... I'm sure I turned the flame off..."

After noticing a burnt smell, it was natural that Kumasawa, who had just been using the fire in the kitchen, suspected that her own clumsiness had caused it. Kumasawa hastily dashed away.

"...Kanon, go with Kumasawa. Do not let her be alone."
"Y, yes...!"

After nodding at Genji's order, Kanon followed after her. He wasn't running, but as he followed her, he tried to search for the cause of the smell in other directions as well.

"...Uu-. Stinks. Uuu--."
"It truly is... a stench that makes the nose wrinkle. However, that doesn't mean we can just open a window for ventilation..."

Natsuhi was reluctant to open the windows in a situation where self-defense was so important.

"...Let us run the fan. I do not believe there will be any need to open the windows."

"...The chain for this room was set. From what I could tell by looking at it, I'm positive that it couldn't be opened from the outside. In other words, this was a perfect closed room."
"...That makes sense. In the case of the rose garden storehouse, they might have sneaked the shutter's key out of the servants' room, or maybe they had a duplicate key. I can imagine many ways they could've done it... But this chain is different. Among generally used locking techniques, a chain is the simplest one to create a closed room with."
"Only a chain will block everyone coming from the outside as long as it isn't physically broken. So does this mean that the culprit couldn't have gone in or out through the door...?"
"...That's interesting. Just a few hours ago, I seem to remember everyone making a fuss over how to enter a room without using the door."

That's right. If you include Grandfather's disappearance, three cases have occurred, and all three times, the door has been the point of interest.

The next was the door sealed by the receipt. However, since aunt Natsuhi had entered the room, then if Grandfather had left through the window or been thrown out, she would have been able to lock the window before escaping. Or, like my theory, he could have hidden until the receipt was gone, and left the room later. Basically, this door can be defeated with a handful of desperate tricks. In that sense, you really can't call this one a closed room either.

And now, we have the door sealed with the door chain. Finally, we have to give up. The window, the door... everything had been locked. It was a perfect closed room. The first hadn't been a closed room because everyone could be suspected. The second hadn't been a closed room because aunt Natsuhi could be suspected. But this time, no one can be suspected! This room was a perfect closed room because everyone had been sealed outside just as completely as everyone else because of the door chain...!

"...In that case, did the culprit carry out the crime without entering the room...? Some method from outside the room...?"
"Well... because of the chain, even though it can't be opened wide enough for a person to fit through, you can open it a small crack. Did the culprit knock on the door to make them peer out before attacking them...? Wait, is that naive...?"
"Yeah, it is. If aunt Eva's body had been lying right next to the door, then it might have been possible. But she was on the bed in the center of the room! And uncle Hideyoshi was even in the bathroom. Looking from the crack in the door, you couldn't even see them, and you couldn't reach them with your hands either. drat it, it's all useless. I don't have a clue!!"

...Something was tugging softly at my sleeve. It was Maria.

"...Kihihihihihihihihihihihihi. Battler, since you didn't want to doubt any of your relatives...you made a wish, saying that you wanted the culprit to be Beatrice, right? Well, Beatrice granted that wish. Just as you said, she 'did something that was completely impossible for a human to make you believe in the witch'. And even so, you're so selfish. Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi. O-uch."

I tapped Maria, who was laughing unpleasantly, on the head with my fist.

BGM: Scar Sound

"...Kihihihihihihihi. That one had a really memorable and characteristic design, so I'd hoped you'd at least know what it was. O-uch."
"I don't know, so I'll give you all the credit. Quit whining and explain."
"...You sure are violent, Battler. I won't tell you if you're too mean, get it...?"
"O-uch! Uu-, I'll say it, I'll say it, stop hitting me. That's the first magic circle of the moon."
"What does it mean? What is this magic circle's benefit?! What does the Hebrew writing mean?!"

"That sure is convenient magic. So you're saying that they're trying to make it look like they're a witch because this closed room has a door that can't be opened without relying on magic...?! And the other effect?!"
"When you are blocked in every direction, it finds an unopened door and opens it. By using it in a difficult situation, it gives you a solution you hadn't even thought of until then. To put it simply, you receive the power of observation and the power of discernment, inspiration and intuition. Kihihihihihihihihihi. Beatrice is trying to provoke you lowly humans, since she thinks there's no way you could figure out how this door was opened. Kihhihihihihihihihihihihihihihi, O-uch."
"Alright, good work, so shut up. Sounds great, I'll accept this challenge from the witch!"
"...Maria-chan. Things like witches and demons don't exist in this world. Someone killed Father and Mother! I don't know whether that was someone I know or not. But either way, it was definitely a human...!!"
"...Yeah, but... how? How did they reach them through that crack in the door? It couldn't have been more than ten centimeters wide...!"
"At any rate, I can hardly stand this stench. What in the world could it be...?!"

"...The boiler room..."
"...I wonder if there's something wrong with the boiler again..."

Those stairs led to the underground boiler room. The mansion's boiler was old, and in poor condition. Both of them had witnessed problems with the boiler on several occasions, but they had never smelled the boiler belching out a stench like this before.

BGM: Closed my Heart

"Wh, what was that sound...?!"

The sound that they had heard from the basement had definitely been the sound of a door closing. Kumasawa tried to speak, as though asking a question, but she had already realized that the sound couldn't have been anything else. Kumasawa was so surprised at that sound that her knees gave way yet again and she cowered...

...Because, at that very moment, no one could have been in the boiler room.

Just a few seconds ago, everyone had been crowded together around Eva and Hideyoshi's room! So who caused the sound of a door closing just now?!

"...!"
"Kanon-san...!!"

After taking a second to sort out the situation, Kanon ran down towards the basement...!

Since they had heard the sound of a door closing just now, and there was no trace of someone climbing the stairs, it meant that the person who had closed the door was now inside the boiler room. If the boiler room had been a dead end, Kanon wouldn't have rushed in so hastily. But Kanon was a servant, so he knew. There were two entrances, one that opened to the mansion and one that opened to the courtyard. If he didn't chase them now, they might slip away...!

Kumasawa reached the same conclusion long after Kanon did... But she couldn't let him go alone...! If the thing in the boiler room was the culprit, an opponent who had easily killed six adults in the first murder, then no matter how Kanon confronted them, he wouldn't be a match.

Of course, with this argument, even if Kumasawa joined him, it wouldn't change anything... At any rate, after a delay, Kumasawa decided that she mustn't let Kanon go alone, and she dashed down the stairs...!!

:siren:Video: Roulette:siren:

And on top of that, the room was full of that horrible stench...which made Kanon feel like he was going to be sick. There was no doubt that this room was the origin. In that case, Kanon should have been searching for where the smell was coming from. However, Kanon kept gazing straight forward as he grabbed a hatchet from a tool shelf just off to the side of the door.

He hadn't stretched out his hand because he'd wanted a hatchet. He had wanted to grab a weapon, any weapon. Why?

"...In roulette, you bet on a number or the colors red or black, vying for a payoff. However, low risk bets like black and red only offer a similarly low payoff."

The words coming from Kanon's mouth... were swallowed up by the darkness. That darkness suddenly started to swirl, glittering...

Kanon continued speaking, directing his words at the darkness as it swallowed the butterflies up. But as the butterflies gathered in the darkness, they... perhaps... probably... no, they must have... laughed.

But Kanon continued to speak without faltering in the slightest.

"...On the other hand, if you bet on something of a lower probability, you receive a payoff proportional to the risk. The Master called succeeding despite an astronomical risk a 'miracle', and called the astronomical payoff gained as a result 'magic'."
"...I have no interest what kind of 'magic' you and the Master were seeking when you spun that roulette... But you forgot something. You forgot that roulette has a pocket that is neither black nor red."

Roulette has a special pocket called '0', which means that the house takes everything in certain variants of the game. This means that all of the coins bet on the table will be swept up, just as though everyone has forfeit...

"...This isn't one of the Master's rules, and it certainly isn't one of yours. I made this rule myself. I'm not furniture anymore. I'm the zero on your roulette...!"

Kanon's face was twisted with humiliation. It was clear that his self-restraint was being ridiculed somehow. Kanon's brow creased even further, and a furious expression that Kanon had never shown anyone appeared on his face.

...The hand grasping the hatchet was shaking. His sweat became drops which slid down... It was clear that the emotion causing Kanon's hand to shake was not anger alone. However, Kanon suppressed that emotion...

When Kanon swung the hatchet upwards and tried to dive into the darkness, the darkness definitely sneered. It sneered at that courage as vulgar, lazy, futile, and meaningless.

Kanon, his hatchet still held aloft, couldn't take another step after that...

With a *clang*, the hatchet that Kanon had been grasping fell and rolled on the floor... And following that, with a pair of thuds, Kanon's knees hit... left, then right... That hand, which looked like it was trying to catch the sky now that the hatchet had been dropped, gradually lowered, landing on his chest. Then, the other hand did the same.

BGM: Requiem

"...u...ghh, ..."

Kanon was curled up in anguish, fresh blood dribbling from the corner of his mouth... It was... makeup over Kanon's white skin... Around this scene, the glittering gold butterflies danced through the darkness, mesmerizing... It was a beautiful, beautiful dance...a funeral march of tribute, ridicule, and contempt for single boy's self-sacrifice.

For only a moment, a bright-red spray gushed out. It made an unpleasant *bloop* sound. It probably resembled the sound of Kanon's soul as it was sucked into the swamp of the dead...

Kanon was lying in a pool of blood... Kumasawa's heart was a complete mess. Aah, what a horrible fate! He wouldn't have been killed if I had been with him! Aah, what incredible luck! If I had been with him, I might have been killed too!!

As she screamed, her expression was filled with complete confusion, and all of the muscles of her face were pulled up, almost as though she was smiling while crying... No one own would ridicule an expression such as this...!!

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 31, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone should watch the video just for Beatrice's 2spooky magical sound effects, including what most of the Fandom unironically considers the best part of the franchise: Beatrice's ridiculous laugh.

Besides that, we have golden butterflies...a spike being shot out of nowhere, a weird disembodied laugh, and every living family member account for.

...guys, I think we all know who the culprit is. :witch:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

oath2order posted:

...guys, I think we all know who the culprit is. :witch:

Suffocation. Because Rokkenjima is on the moon.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Suffocation. Because Rokkenjima is on the moon.

Stop trying to solve Umineko with the plot twists to other Visual Novels. :v:

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
No, I want to hear about Rokkenjima the moon island where Krauss tried to make a hotel. Is the cause of death then that there's an airlock in the boiler room we're not allowed to know about?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So what was Kanon's plan again, to swap a bunch of butterflies with an axe?

Also, I know I shouldn't say this after seeing some genuine child beating, but I love the part where Battler had enough of Maria's poo poo.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

vector_to posted:

... I'm an idiot.

Kinzo's the culprit for this one. He's the only person who wasn't part of a group beforehand. I imagine Eva would be more than happy to let him in to talk inheritance, then she and Hideyoshi gets killed. He's still hiding in the room, which explains the chain lock.

Still not too sure on the blood on the door, but I'm sure I'll work something out.

I was waiting for you to spot that you'd excluded too many people :v:

Bholder posted:

Also, I know I shouldn't say this after seeing some genuine child beating, but I love the part where Battler had enough of Maria's poo poo.

I have also been waiting for the reader's maria sympathy rollercoaster to get going.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, this doesn't really fit with gouge the X and kill. Maybe the killer(s) has given up on their silly epitaph methodology?

Also I suppose the gross smell in the basement will turn out to be Kinzos decaying corpse because nothing can be easy.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

To be fair, a relative giving you a noogie is not as terrible as what happened before.

Besides, I think it's always a wish in fantasy works to noogie the all wise and all powerful information source.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Bholder posted:

Let's get this scene in replay!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh man, I was sorely missing the previous Umineko LP so I'm glad to see another one started! I read a bunch of episodes but never finished the full game (I believe I got just a teeny way into episode 7 before stalling for unrelated reasons and just never getting around to picking it back up) so I'll hope you manage to bring this one all the way to the finish-line. I'll be on my best non-spoiling behavior.

And yeah, while you definitely get used to the original ugly sprites, I generally prefer the more anime-fied ones anyway...but Maria was pretty badly done by them. I have a later issue with them too. It's a pity, but oh well. This is a Sound Novel anyway, so clearly the visuals shouldn't matter much right?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey Prof, official thread backseat LPer here again! Would it be possible to get clean, no-text shots of the crime-diagrams that show up later? It's no big deal about these ones, but occasionally the diagram is actually helpful.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

John Lee posted:

Hey Prof, official thread backseat LPer here again! Would it be possible to get clean, no-text shots of the crime-diagrams that show up later? It's no big deal about these ones, but occasionally the diagram is actually helpful.

I'll see what I can do when I'm not at work.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

Huh, this doesn't really fit with gouge the X and kill. Maybe the killer(s) has given up on their silly epitaph methodology?

Also I suppose the gross smell in the basement will turn out to be Kinzos decaying corpse because nothing can be easy.

Kanon was stabbed in the chest, which would fit the fifth twilight.

But tearing apart the two who are close is the second twilight, so it seems like we skipped some steps there.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Bholder posted:

It's not entirely silly. Some folklore hold that iron (or cold iron which is just fancy medieval talk for normal everyday iron, like cold steel) is particularly effective at countering certain magics and creatures. Depending on what that hatchet was made of he might have had a bit of a chance. If he was lucky as much of a chance of getting a 0 on a roulette wheel.

Probably lucky he isn't a professional gambler really.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If it's going by the "cold iron" logic then it implies Beatrice can just be shanked. I question if Kanon's ever tried to stab a butterfly before because it seems improbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The storehouse murder:

Kinzo's disappearance:

Battler's theory:

Eva and Hideyoshi's murder:

As an extra, have one more thread poll regarding visuals moving forward! Here are three options:

The last one is the native resolution for the PS3 patch. However, there's a tradeoff - the bigger the screencaps, the harder it is to fit the game's special effects that we'll be seeing more of later on into <2MB gifs, the more I'll have to wrestle with capturing them as webms, and the less of them you'll end up seeing. So, smaller resolution = more animation.

What do you think, thread?

• Locked thread