Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

I had never watched Reading Rainbow, so I grew up only ever seeing LeVar as Geordi. To this day I think he looks a little weird without the VISOR. Part of his face is missing.

When I grew up, I saw LeVar like this:

(as Kunta Kinte in Roots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess if you wrote it boring and lovely, which you seem dead set on. I think that's kind of a weird decision based upon character pitches alone, but that's why I suggested you'd be a bit lacking as a screenwriter.

I don't see how it's so much different from Geordi. Most of the time, he's a normal guy with an aptitude for engineering. Sometimes his VISOR is a strength. Sometimes his blindess is a detriment.

See, when I think of it, I think of a paraplegic captain who spent half his life confined to a wheelchair. Now he has a chance to prove himself.

I see an astrophysicist who thought they'd only ever see the stars through a telescope in a hospital window, traversing distant stars.

I see situations in which their disabilities become strengths, or weaknesses. Most of the time, though, it's as important as Uhura being black.

I don't remember being bored by exploring any of the other characters' motivations.

Most of those would be cured though, making the whole thing pointless. Geordi was special since he had super hosed up eyes that had no pupils and poo poo rather than normal blindness. A guy in a wheelchair could move with 70% mobility or have a new spine grown according to the worf broke his back episode. They try and cure this poo poo with all of their medical advances.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's why I qualified it as nearer future. A bridge between now and that reality. Humanity in the course of striving to overcome its limitations, both physical and planetary. Perhaps not even trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrJacobs posted:

Most of those would be cured though, making the whole thing pointless. Geordi was special since he had super hosed up eyes that had no pupils and poo poo rather than normal blindness. A guy in a wheelchair could move with 70% mobility or have a new spine grown according to the worf broke his back episode. They try and cure this poo poo with all of their medical advances.
Yeah, this is kind of the issue with disability portrayals in particular, I gather.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*clears throat*. ... Well.

*gathers papers and knocks them against the table to align them*

I'd like to, uh, thank you all for your notes, and I look forward to possibly working with you on this or another project in the future.

Don't let them see you cry, brawny. You tried.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It would be cool to have a Star Trek series thats about a crew going on an incredibly dangerous mission (new jump drive lets you make a one time trip to a new galaxy or something) where they aren't really expected to come back alive, and have a bunch of incredibly dysfunctional people on the crew because only someone incredibly messed up would volunteer for something so crazy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

When I grew up, I saw LeVar like this:

(as Kunta Kinte in Roots)

:eng101: Toby

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

It would be cool to have a Star Trek series thats about a crew going on an incredibly dangerous mission (new jump drive lets you make a one time trip to a new galaxy or something) where they aren't really expected to come back alive, and have a bunch of incredibly dysfunctional people on the crew because only someone incredibly messed up would volunteer for something so crazy.

Now I just want down periscope but with incompetent starfleet officers that forrest gump their way to victory everytime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MrJacobs posted:

incompetent starfleet officers that forrest gump their way to victory everytime.

Voyager? :rimshot:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So it occurred to me how the mirror universe should have ended after seeing that poo poo last episode of it. I think mirror Dukat should have come in acting like a villain, but actually be a heroic version of the character that sells out Kira at the end, as he's struck an alliance with... the mirror dominion, who's only interested in justice (and not order). Events repeat themselves on the exact reverse end of the spectrum.

Instead we got the actress playing Ezri trying to act tough to Garak in a dog collar. poo poo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've been properly making my way straight through TOS for the first time recently - just seen bits here and there before. I've got to say, season 1 is really solid. Sure, there's a couple of stinkers, but it's pretty much a parade of great sci-fi stories. I find it interesting how Kirk is less the debonair ladies' man/horndog you see in pop culture, and it seems more that Kirk is a professional officer who recognizes he has a weakness in working with women and strains to deal with that appropriately. It's portrayed more as a character flaw he has to cope with rather than an admirable trait - unfortunately it seems that after Grace Lee Whitney was forced out that this theme is pretty much left to fall by the wayside.

Also, how much the series at this point is just "The Captain Kirk Show", with (barring exceptions like The Galileo Seven) every story being about Kirk dealing with the challenges of command and how to do what is right, and every other character serving only as a foil. You hear a lot about what an arsehole Shatner was in the films, insisting he got as many lines as possible sidelining everyone else. But I suppose from his perspective it seemed like he was having his role eroded and taken away from him.

Oh, and I love how totally different all the writers' take on the show is. You have random episodes like Arena which feel a bit more like military sci fi, and a bit E E Doc Smith. Starships raising their defensive screens, space engagements at far beyond visual range, lots of background chatter on the bridge, deployment of ground weapons with more army-like terminology and execution, terrible lizardman suits...

Do they ever come to an agreement about whether the Enterprise is a 'Federation' starship, or part of the United Earth Space Probe Fleet? It seems to change every episode. Hell, one time McCoy seemed to suggest that Earth had conquered Vulcan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mossyfisk posted:

Do they ever come to an agreement about whether the Enterprise is a 'Federation' starship, or part of the United Earth Space Probe Fleet? It seems to change every episode. Hell, one time McCoy seemed to suggest that Earth had conquered Vulcan.

It wasn't until Gene Coon came aboard full-time that they really started getting that stuff sorted out. Dude was basically the unsung hero of the first two seasons, and Roddenberry treated him like crap.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mossyfisk posted:

Also, how much the series at this point is just "The Captain Kirk Show", with (barring exceptions like The Galileo Seven) every story being about Kirk dealing with the challenges of command and how to do what is right, and every other character serving only as a foil. You hear a lot about what an arsehole Shatner was in the films, insisting he got as many lines as possible sidelining everyone else. But I suppose from his perspective it seemed like he was having his role eroded and taken away from him.

Even with TOS, though, he was having other people's lines cut or taking them for Kirk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mossyfisk posted:

Isn't it kind of how we have U.S. American ships that are also NATO fleet ships or something???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pwnstar posted:

It looks like there's a decent chance this is the plot to Mass Effect Andromeda

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

I think by S2 they had all their poo poo together. And of course McCoy is going to talk poo poo to Spock

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Finster Dexter posted:

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

I'm pretty sure that was also the message they were attempting to give in this garbage pile of an episode:

(there are surprisingly few GIF that turn up when searching for this moment)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh deaf chat.

I worked with a girl who's cousin and she married into a "deaf community." Basically everyone in their little commune was deaf. And when she had a kid who had 100% standard hearing they intended to artificially deafen their child so he'd have to grow up the same way they did. The girl I worked with's parents basically kidnapped the kid to protect him and they were in an ongoing legal battle to keep him safe because his parents insisted he needed to lose his hearing.

Some deaf people are fuckin crazy.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Why not design the loving prop better, Jesus. If you need to, work it into an episode - having Geordi's VISOR get shot up so Data or Crusher have to fab up a replacement that looks somewhat different is like two lines, and you can probably just replace it off-stage.

But if I'm so smart why ain't I a famous TV producer.

Comfort was never anything close to a consideration in Berman Trek. The original TNG uniforms were made a couple sizes too small so they wouldn't crease and were apparently made of some space age super fabric (OK, spandex) that breathed about as well as a rain poncho and was impossible to clean. Supposedly, the actors reeked of sweat at basically all times. Patrick Stewart claims to have gotten them replaced after he threatened to sue over back problems they were causing him. Later uniforms were a little looser (sometimes even the right size!) and easier to clean, but were designed to look great when people were standing with no consideration of what would happen when they sat down, which was apparently especially hard on the male cast. Also, wearing multiple layers of tight-fitting wool for hours on end while standing under studio lights must have been the loving worst, and that's not even getting into all the latex, makeup, and padding the aliens had to wear.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Duckbag posted:

Comfort was never anything close to a consideration in Berman Trek. The original TNG uniforms were made a couple sizes too small so they wouldn't crease and were apparently made of some space age super fabric (OK, spandex) that breathed about as well as a rain poncho and was impossible to clean. Supposedly, the actors reeked of sweat at basically all times. Patrick Stewart claims to have gotten them replaced after he threatened to sue over back problems they were causing him. Later uniforms were a little looser (sometimes even the right size!) and easier to clean, but were designed to look great when people were standing with no consideration of what would happen when they sat down, which was apparently especially hard on the male cast. Also, wearing multiple layers of tight-fitting wool for hours on end while standing under studio lights must have been the loving worst, and that's not even getting into all the latex, makeup, and padding the aliens had to wear.

I can't even imagine how smelly that was. Theatrical productions I've been in in larger auditorium settings still smelled like sweat-drenched cloth and cheap makeup. A cramped indoor set must have been nauseating.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Geordi, what's that glowing thing?
"Oh that? That's a marker I set to highlight the grace that is woman"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've marked all the women I plan to recreate and then gently caress in the holodeck.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

What's worse: Geordi's holosuite nonsense or Crusher's ghost candle lover

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Geordi. Crusher never recreated a real person for her own enjoyment or sat in a dead woman's quarters drinking her favorite drink, petting her dog, and listening to her personal logs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Geordi. Crusher never recreated a real person for her own enjoyment or sat in a dead woman's quarters drinking her favorite drink, petting her dog, and listening to her personal logs.

Not on camera at least.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crusher never ... sat in a dead woman's quarters... listening to her personal logs.

Uh, I cite the thread title?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

MrJacobs posted:

Now I just want down periscope but with incompetent starfleet officers that forrest gump their way to victory everytime.

The janitorial staff are finishing up their cleaning duties after a starship is put in for upgrades. One of them accidentally trips and enables the warp drive, now they've gotta figure out how to stop the drat ship and get it back before anyone notices.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

Uh, I cite the thread title?

Ehh, reading your dead grandmother's journal is way less creepy than Geordi reading some random dead woman's diary as he sips a Sex on the Holobeach.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Quark/Grillka is the best romance in Star Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MrJacobs posted:

I've been saying for years now that I would watch the hell out of Down Periscope, In Space

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Pakled posted:

Quark/Grillka is the best romance in Star Trek.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, ubiquitous hypercompetence is boring and the best Trek episodes are the ones where the characters are in over their heads and have to rely on their wits and instincts to get out of it. There's no drama in modifying the deflector grid to produce a vertaron pulse or adjusting shields to a rotating frequency. Creativity requires constraints and necessity is the mother of invention, so having characters that can fix anything broken, heal anyone injured, defeat any foe, and solve any mystery by standing around pressing buttons and spouting meaningless jargon means that the writers rarely have to stretch themselves and when they do it often feels contrived (why don't they just use the transporter? etc.).

Arguably, the biggest disappointments with Voyager and Enterprise weren't that they fell back on the same old techno-magic writing shortcuts, but that the characters rarely seemed genuinely lost or in-over-their-heads. Even when they were stranded somewhere, captured, or about to get their ship blown up, they rarely actually left their comfort zones because they could just solve problems the Star Fleet Way. One of the most frustrating things about Voyager is even though the ship faced grimmer situations and more dangerous enemies as time went on, they rarely seemed genuinely out of their element in that, once they'd solved the central mystery, the plot resolution became rote. Most mediocre Trek episodes (IE most of Voyager) follow a very simple formula. 1. Something weird starts happening. 2. The weird thing becomes a threat to the ship or crew. 3. The crew races against time to solve the mystery of the weird thing. 4. Someone figures out what the weird thing is. 5. The day is saved.

Now sometimes the weird thing is a person or monster, sometimes it's an ~anomaly~, and sometimes it's high concept bullshit, but the story beats are all pretty much the same. That doesn't mean this is a bad formula -- not at all. A lot of the really good Trek episodes (Devil in the Dark, Journey to Babel, Darmok, All Good things, The Visitor, etc.) also fit that progression, but I think the difference between a good Trek mystery plot and a bad one basically boils down to a few questions. Could we reasonably have solved the mystery ourselves? Is the way events unfold still surprising? Do the characters resolve the crisis in a way that reveals something new about themselves or the world, imparts a moral or philosophical lesson, or demonstrates character growth? And finally, if the answer to all those is "no," are there enough other things going on in the episode for it to still be worth watching?

The problem with hypercompetence, then, is that it allows for the characters to go through the motions of a mystery plot without having to actually "solve" the mystery, as such. If the mysterious element is [tech] and the solution is [tech], then we're essentially being shown a plot where a mystery is solved, but neither mystery or the solution can carry any dramatic weight. It's like getting to the end of a bad murder mystery and learning that all the "clues" were meaningless, the killer was someone you've never heard of, and the detective solved the case by doing something vague involving forensics.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is why my Data as Sherlock Holmes pilot wasn't picked up by CBS

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, ubiquitous hypercompetence is boring and the best Trek episodes are the ones where the characters are in over their heads and have to rely on their wits and instincts to get out of it. There's no drama in modifying the deflector grid to produce a vertaron pulse or adjusting shields to a rotating frequency. Creativity requires constraints and necessity is the mother of invention, so having characters that can fix anything broken, heal anyone injured, defeat any foe, and solve any mystery by standing around pressing buttons and spouting meaningless jargon means that the writers rarely have to stretch themselves and when they do it often feels contrived (why don't they just use the transporter? etc.).

Arguably, the biggest disappointments with Voyager and Enterprise weren't that they fell back on the same old techno-magic writing shortcuts, but that the characters rarely seemed genuinely lost or in-over-their-heads. Even when they were stranded somewhere, captured, or about to get their ship blown up, they rarely actually left their comfort zones because they could just solve problems the Star Fleet Way. One of the most frustrating things about Voyager is even though the ship faced grimmer situations and more dangerous enemies as time went on, they rarely seemed genuinely out of their element in that, once they'd solved the central mystery, the plot resolution became rote. Most mediocre Trek episodes (IE most of Voyager) follow a very simple formula. 1. Something weird starts happening. 2. The weird thing becomes a threat to the ship or crew. 3. The crew races against time to solve the mystery of the weird thing. 4. Someone figures out what the weird thing is. 5. The day is saved.

Now sometimes the weird thing is a person or monster, sometimes it's an ~anomaly~, and sometimes it's high concept bullshit, but the story beats are all pretty much the same. That doesn't mean this is a bad formula -- not at all. A lot of the really good Trek episodes (Devil in the Dark, Journey to Babel, Darmok, All Good things, The Visitor, etc.) also fit that progression, but I think the difference between a good Trek mystery plot and a bad one basically boils down to a few questions. Could we reasonably have solved the mystery ourselves? Is the way events unfold still surprising? Do the characters resolve the crisis in a way that reveals something new about themselves or the world, imparts a moral or philosophical lesson, or demonstrates character growth? And finally, if the answer to all those is "no," are there enough other things going on in the episode for it to still be worth watching?

The problem with hypercompetence, then, is that it allows for the characters to go through the motions of a mystery plot without having to actually "solve" the mystery, as such. If the mysterious element is [tech] and the solution is [tech], then we're essentially being shown a plot where a mystery is solved, but neither mystery or the solution can carry any dramatic weight. It's like getting to the end of a bad murder mystery and learning that all the "clues" were meaningless, the killer was someone you've never heard of, and the detective solved the case by doing something vague involving forensics.
This is all quite true and crystallized a lot of why I think DS9 stands out in the Treks, because while there is a relative degree of "safety" and "comfort," the very setting of the show is of its nature in turmoil and confusion. Even if there wasn't hosed up poo poo going on, Bajor is transforming and staggering towards possibly joining the Federation, while the fleet people are dealing with that themselves. You could have had an entire show without any of the weird Trek poo poo or Dominion invasion, and indeed many episodes are just that kind of stuff.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A holodeck mishap leads to the ships cook unknowingly commanding a real starship through the Neutral Zone. Will his cavalier attitude kickstart a new war with the Romulans or will he foil a sinister plot that could destroy the Federation?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A clerical error causes a brand new top of the line starship to be sent to the Federation Scrapyards on Dalor IX. The mechanics on duty decide to take the ship for a joyride and commit a serious diplomatic incident when they insult an alien ambassador who hails them. Rather than face Starfleet justice they take the ship into deep space and begin searching for something that is worth enough scientific or material value to the Federation to let them barter for their freedom.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pwnstar posted:

A clerical error causes a brand new top of the line starship to be sent to the Federation Scrapyards on Dalor IX. The mechanics on duty decide to take the ship for a joyride and commit a serious diplomatic incident when they insult an alien ambassador who hails them. Rather than face Starfleet justice they take the ship into deep space and begin searching for something that is worth enough scientific or material value to the Federation to let them barter for their freedom.

I would watch the hell out of this series, no joke. Although they would probably call it Star Trek: Renegades or something.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I would watch the hell out of this series, no joke. Although they would probably call it Star Trek: Renegades or something.

:same:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

I think in the beginning the intention was absolutely it was an Earth Human Starship, and the Federation was started by Earth, and the other worlds joined later. It was only after awhile that they started putting in the references to the idea that other worlds founded the Federation.

I could be wrong, I'd have to watch the first few episodes to be sure, but they made a lot of hay about how alien and different Spock was ("Ah yes, one of your Earth Emotions!") which would be a bit odd if humans and Vulcans had been besties for 150 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Astroman posted:

I think in the beginning the intention was absolutely it was an Earth Human Starship, and the Federation was started by Earth, and the other worlds joined later. It was only after awhile that they started putting in the references to the idea that other worlds founded the Federation.

I could be wrong, I'd have to watch the first few episodes to be sure, but they made a lot of hay about how alien and different Spock was ("Ah yes, one of your Earth Emotions!") which would be a bit odd if humans and Vulcans had been besties for 150 years.
There's even a line in Conscience of the King suggesting that Vulcan was conquered by Earth:

quote:

McCoy: Would you care for a drink, Mr. Spock?
Spock: My father's race was spared the dubious benefits of alcohol.
McCoy: Oh? Now I know why they were conquered.