Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

muscles like this? posted:

When the Syfy version started they explained away the personality change by saying that Crow had been stuck on the SOL for centuries by himself.

And in Werewolf, Crow tells Mike that being a wereCrow means his voice will just change every seven years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

Mary Jo Pehl, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett will be reprising their roles of Pearl Forrester, Professor Bobo and Brain Guy, but both Mike Nelson and Trace Beaulieu declined offers to return.

And technically we got Trace back once, when Arrested Development did an MST3k gag.

But I really hope Trace comes back for one episode at some point, just for the father/daughter reunion.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder how they'll explain the new voices (if at all).

WE'RE DIFFERENT!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I never saw the MST3K parody on arrested development, what season was it?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

From reading between the lines, I got the impression that when Joel got the rights back, he immediately started making plans for changes, decided he was going to have a new cast in the reboot, and then offered everyone from the old cast the opportunity to come do drop-ins or cameos. People were varying degrees of upset or confused about his decision, and so that's why there's been spotty participation. In contrast to whoever had the rights previously (Jim?), though, Joel has been sharing the profits from the Shout Factory discs with the old cast, and that's mended some bridges. And, of course, the reunion show appears to have reminded them all of how much they enjoy making each other laugh.

I'm probably wrong about something, but that narrative is what makes sense to me knowing what I know about their personalities. Everyone has their own ideas about what the show should be, but Joel's made it clear it's his project now and everyone else can either play along or not.

All that said, I've never been upset about the cast changes so I'm really excited to see the new version. Online video right now is exactly where cable TV was in the early 90s when MST3K first went on the air -- everyone's desperate for content, and MST3K is a LOT of content for a relatively low investment. If it can get back its old demographics with young people and keep the audience of true believers, it can go a while again. It's great to see that process in motion once again.

Plus now we have "Movie Sign with the Mads," and it's great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I never saw the MST3K parody on arrested development, what season was it?

Season 4. They do a parody of Roger Corman's "Fantastic 4," and the MST3K team is in the flashback to the movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was offered by a friend who is working on this to sit in yesterday while they filmed.

I couldn't make it work. :(

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

kiimo posted:

I was offered by a friend who is working on this to sit in yesterday while they filmed.

I couldn't make it work. :(

Mods? MODS???

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

PostNouveau posted:

Season 4. They do a parody of Roger Corman's "Fantastic 4," and the MST3K team is in the flashback to the movie.

Just Joel and Trace, no Kevin.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know Josh Weinstein was only on seasons zero and one, but will they ever have him on as a guest or anything?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RandomPauI posted:

I know Josh Weinstein was only on seasons zero and one, but will they ever have him on as a guest or anything?

He wasn't able to attend the reunion show, but I'm sure he's been invited to the new season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Weinstein also declined to appear on the revival.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
IMDB has listed the experiments for Season 11 (or Season 12 as IMDB has it).

Go see it if you dare!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I always considered the Bots to be like Doctor Who, and Joel even uses this analogy. Their characters are basically the same but their voices and personalities are different, and while Kevin IS Servo to me, just having him be Servo again would get pretty stale, even if Baron wouldn't overtake Kevin for me.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

IMDB has listed the experiments for Season 11 (or Season 12 as IMDB has it).

Go see it if you dare!

hmm... any evidence that this list wasn't pulled out of somebody's rear end?

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

hmm... any evidence that this list wasn't pulled out of somebody's rear end?

Not really. Is there anything keeping random people from adding episodes? I also couldn't find any references to one of the movies they list beyond "the director's been trying to make this for years." Though I'd be kind of disappointed if it's fake, because it looks like a pretty solid line-up.

If you want to spoil yourself, I've got IMDb links:

Reptilicus - 1961 giant monster movie
Cry Wilderness - 1987, kid meets Bigfoot, tries to keep him secret
Time Travelers - might be this 1966 TV movie, or maybe this 1976 TV movie
Avalanche - could be one of several, but from the dates and synopses I'd guess this one from 1946, maybe the one from 1978
The Beast of Hollow Mountain - 1956 giant monster movie
Starcrash - 1978 sci-fi action movie
The Land That Time Forgot 1974 sci-fi adventure
Hercules - the 1983 version, probably
Yongary, Monster from the Deep 1967 Korean giant monster movie
Wizards 1 - maybe this? 1977 animated fantasy. Seems unlikely.
Wizards 2 - no idea
Carnival Magic 1981 fantasy with a talking chimp
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't 1966 family movie
At The Earth's Core 1976 sci-fi adventure

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Atheris posted:

this looks trippy as hell

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Atheris posted:

Not really. Is there anything keeping random people from adding episodes? I also couldn't find any references to one of the movies they list beyond "the director's been trying to make this for years." Though I'd be kind of disappointed if it's fake, because it looks like a pretty solid line-up.

Avalanche - could be one of several, but from the dates and synopses I'd guess this one from 1946, maybe the one from 1978
Wizards 2 - no idea

My guess (if this is correct) is that Mark Hamill's cameo will be during Wizards. Seems like a good mix between 60's b-movies and 70's/80's schlock (my favorite). I'm also glad they're steering away from stuff Rifftrax has done and b-movies that have developed cult followings in the last few years.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Someone in an AV Club comment section mentioned that the new list of films had leaked, an AV Club staff member followed up with Shout Factory, and apparently Shout Factory apparently shut down the rumor that the list is out and said anything floating around is false. So take all that with a grain of salt.

That being said, I cry tears of joy at the thought of Yongary and At the Earth's Core getting riffed.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Atheris posted:

The former, I'm more surprised that it took this long for them to do. And seeing as it's a "Lewis Coates" production, that makes the latter less surprising and he also did that movie and HOLY poo poo THEY'RE DOING THAT ONE, it's loving amazing. If you thought the Steve Reeves ones were crazy, Steve Reeves doesn't have poo poo on Lou Ferrigno!

I present as evidence.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Atheris posted:

Wizards 2 - no idea

I'm really looking forward to Reptilicus, Yongary, and Star Crash.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Command Ant posted:

I'm really looking forward to Reptilicus, Yongary, and Star Crash.

One of those films has the distinctive honor of having its monster bleed to death from its anus as the human cast looks on with glee.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dylazodelan posted:

One of those films has the distinctive honor of having its monster bleed to death from its anus as the human cast looks on with glee.

Oh man. It's my 15th birthday party all over again.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man. It's my 15th birthday party all over again.

:lol: Holy poo poo that was well played, sir. :golfclap:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Holy poo poo, if they're doing Wizards this is going to be The Best Thing Ever :swoon:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm a little suspicious of that list because it doesn't seem to have anything from the last 30 years and is a bit too much like the sort of season they might have done in the 90s, which just screams "a fan made this!" to me. It could be legit -- Joel returning to his roots or trying not to step on Rifftrax's toes, but I'll be a bit disappointed if they do a full retreat back to lovely drive-in fare.

I suppose most of the straight-to-video era stuff the old MST did was from Mike's tenure, not Joel's, but it would be really weird for them to come back from a hiatus this long without at least acknowledging all the terrible new movie trends (straight to VOD, the found footage epidemic, bargain bin CG, terrible zombie and space marine cosplay movies, etc.). I mean, I don't want them to start doing Troma or Asylum poo poo or anything else that knows it's a bad movie and doesn't care, but there have to plenty of lovingly polished turds from this millennium that Rifftrax and the various bad movie blogs/podcasts haven't gotten to yet.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dylazodelan posted:

At the Earth's Core

Holy poo poo! For years I've been haunted by memories from toddlerhood of a move with flying lizard men and a hot girl that I saw on some Sci-Fi Theater show. I had myself convinced that it must have just been inaccurate childhood memories of either Journey to The Center or The Earth or The Land That Time Forgot, but I could never quite shake the idea that I was missing something. Then seeing your post rang a distant bell.

Today you are a hero to six year old me, and I thank you.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 6, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

SirPhoebos posted:

Holy poo poo, if they're doing Wizards this is going to be The Best Thing Ever :swoon:

If it's an accurate list, my assumption would be it's another serial reedited as films. Not that it doesn't have its mockable moments (because oh boy, it does), but Ralph Bakshi's Wizards is probably too good for MST3K, an unlikely choice for their first animated film, and wouldn't sustain two episodes anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Duckbag posted:

I'm a little suspicious of that list because it doesn't seem to have anything from the last 30 years

This is what makes me a bit suspicious about the list. Somewhere (and unfortunately I don't remember where), Joel said that the movies on average are more recent than previous seasons, which would make me think there are at least a few from the 90s or later.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll check with my friend in production if these are real.

edit: lmao it's a leak and someone's hosed up real bad. Also you should look up Cry Wilderness.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 6, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kiimo posted:

I'll check with my friend in production if these are real.

edit: lmao it's a leak and someone's hosed up real bad. Also you should look up Cry Wilderness.

Legit can't tell if this is a joke.

EDIT: isn't there supposed to be a Christmas episode outside of the regular 13?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No not a joke.

quote:

I can neither confirm nor deny this catastrophic gently caress up from a couple people in our office…
nor can I confirm that hours were spent last night trying to hunt someone from IMDb down
I also can’t confirm that Cry Wilderness is the most incredible movie and will be the standout of this season…

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

EDIT: isn't there supposed to be a Christmas episode outside of the regular 13?

Yes. There are 14 titles leaked, one of which is a Christmas movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't want to say anything for fear of this miracle being a lie but

If this really, REALLY is true and I hope to God it is because this sounds like a perfect MST3K season

I cannot wait even more than ever before. This is beautiful and I love every second of it. I also may have seen most of this list by myself, so getting to see them riffed is going to be a treat.

I cannot express how happy these movies make me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

If it's an accurate list, my assumption would be it's another serial reedited as films. Not that it doesn't have its mockable moments (because oh boy, it does), but Ralph Bakshi's Wizards is probably too good for MST3K, an unlikely choice for their first animated film, and wouldn't sustain two episodes anyway.
That mirrored my thoughts on it, which is what I was looking for when I was searching last night. Didn't go in-depth enough to find out if any FVI-ish cuts were made for TV movie length edits, though. There is the 1983 Wizards and Warriors series, though I'm unsure if it's the kind of material they favor (given their retrospective thoughts on Catalina Caper, for instance), Jeff Conaway or no. I don't know nearly enough about television to make any real guesses, though, especially if it ends up involving overseas programming.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
I'm 99% sure Wizards 1/2 are these (Spoilers within):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090333/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090334/

They're Roger Corman movies (from his company at least), apparently spinoffs of Deathstalker, so Shout should have the rights to them.

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 7, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CrimsonAuthor posted:

I'm 99% sure Wizards 1/2 are these (Spoilers within):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090333/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090334/

They're Roger Corman movies (from his company at least), apparently spinoffs of Deathstalker, so Shout should have the rights to them.

RiffTrax did the first one of those, but I think they had to pull it for some kind of rights issues. Unless it's back up now, it vanished a few days after they released it.