Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

That was two ladies. They were fused goddesses.

I can't be bothered with such an inattentive audience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy this thread sucks when there's no art in it. It's like a dark void of petty sniping and wifus,

So in the spirit of the season.*

*the season of this thread being lovely, not halloween, which is also lovely

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 6, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scribblehatch posted:

I too would like it if everyone would be polite and on topic.

But they aren't really held accountable for it when they don't. And some spades need to be called spades.

do you run every post through google translate 6 times or do you actually communicate with people in real life this way

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

I really like this. But I think I like the initial sketch more because I like the idea she's lit primarily from the right front. Shading it that way would add a ton of depth.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I did a cute hairstyle that's almost done!

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Yeah I fancy the sketch more too.

It's really easy to lose something in the translation from sketch to "ink". And I don't know what the trick is.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Scribblehatch posted:

Still a meaningless buzzword. What do you actually think is going to happen?

https://www.apa.org/education/ce/sexual-objectification.pdf

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I wish Medusa would quit loving objectifying everyone

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Scribblehatch posted:

Yeah I fancy the sketch more too.

It's really easy to lose something in the translation from sketch to "ink". And I don't know what the trick is.

when you switch over to ink you're stripping away a lot of visual information. Soft edges on the lines, for one. Noise from repeated strokes. Transparency / variance in value. Line width.

I think a lot of 3D falls on its face because it's a representation of drawings. When you strip away line work altogether in 3D you lose even more feeling of the drawing.

My favorite digital artworks use color under sketch lines.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks. I think i'm going to lean into the sketchy style.

Hexas
Jun 6, 2004

~cant take my eyes off u~

OmanyteJackson posted:

i basically never post but this whips rear end in a major way and i love it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

OmanyteJackson posted:

There's some major double Escher going on with that hammer. The perspective lines of the head should line up with the handle. The other issue is that we're looking up at her from below, yet we see the top face of the hammer. The correct perspective "box" is pretty much a vertical flip.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Have you read this..?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Scribblehatch posted:

Have you read this..?

it's not even that long lol

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Why does an art thread have to turn into a feminist discussion that's what i wanna know.

This thread is dildos

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

cause that guy is trying to disprove objectification and male gaze because he thinks they are just fake reasons women came up with to be mad at hard working men who are just trying to make titty art

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
why does anyone think that's not a thing. it's very obviously a thing, it's been a thing for ages. You gotta put said thing in perspective though cuz honestly I don't think I'm waving around my tiddy drawings acting like this is what I think everyone should be held to. I just make things cuz it's what I personally want to do and enjoy.

This is why this conversation is loving baffling. Why is this still going after like what 5-6 pages

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Colon Semicolon posted:

why does anyone think that's not a thing. it's very obviously a thing, it's been a thing for ages. You gotta put said thing in perspective though cuz honestly I don't think I'm waving around my tiddy drawings acting like this is what I think everyone should be held to. I just make things cuz it's what I personally want to do and enjoy.

This is why this conversation is loving baffling. Why is this still going after like what 5-6 pages

at this point I don't even really have a problem with you. while I think your robot jizz drawings are funny things I like to laugh at, at least you seem to be somewhat self aware

scribblehatch however is the one talking over and arguing with women about feminism 101 poo poo trying to say objectification isn't a thing and acting a fool

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Did you mean 'dehumanizing' at any point?

Just drop that bomb, if you did.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm backing out of this then, see you guys whenever this finally stalls out or I have something new to post

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Scribblehatch posted:

Did you mean 'dehumanizing' at any point?

Just drop that bomb, if you did.

that's...kind of what objectification means...

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Troposphere posted:

that's...kind of what objectification means...
This is a staggering error.
Everyone is to some extent an object to everyone else.
You wouldn't dare switch out half the times you said 'objectify' with 'dehumanize'. It's too heavy.

Disconnection =/= Degradation

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon Semicolon posted:

Why does an art thread have to turn into a feminist discussion that's what i wanna know.

This thread is dildos

because feminism is super relevant to art?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Scribblehatch posted:

This is a staggering error.
Everyone is to some extent an object to everyone else.
You wouldn't dare switch out half the times you said 'objectify' with 'dehumanize'. It's too heavy.

Disconnection =/= Degradation

nothing you say makes any sort of sense and I'm objectifying you right now and that object is a toilet, toilet boy

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

If you've ever laughed at a joke about something that has no reason to be funny in a context of reality, you're enjoying part of what objectification is. It's just not a positive or negative thing 100% of the time. Never. It's too complicated.

To tag that as the same thing that has been done with the intention to segregate and murder millions of people.
Well.
That's a little extreme, innit.

Dehumanization still packs a punch. To me, objectify still means loads of things unless there's further deliberation. But to you, it has that 'ify' at the end which sounds harsh. Like electrify. Ow, that sounds painful. Don't like it. It must be bad. Wait though. 'Subjectify'. Where are you on that?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

*takes hit of pumpkin spice vape*

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Colon we should rig up one of your robots to talk like that Skyrim video you linked in the mods thread

and do other things that people will love to see, no doubt.

TeaMaestro
Sep 21, 2015

A cigarette break.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Scribblehatch posted:

If you've ever laughed at a joke about something that has no reason to be funny in a context of reality, you're enjoying part of what objectification is.

What the gently caress are you even talking about. Seriously, go read at least a page or two of that link I gave you before you try to redefine a word that already has a definition agreed upon by the entire English-speaking academic and scientific community.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

I have read it. It's filled with so many more buzzwords to define the one. It's very obvious what year that thing was written, and there's nothing surprising about that list of references whatsoever.

I'm done though. Figure out the etymology yourself. I've just surpassed the point of boredom.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 6, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
too bad it wasn't written in 1994, the peak of feminist theory

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Watch the actual clip and realize how prophetic it was and how little the language has changed. Good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXmJrQcwjo

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2016

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

i can't believe the words women use to explain their experiences just so happen to fall into this guys list of meaningless buzzwords, what a weird coincidence

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Scribblehatch posted:

Watch the actual clip and realize how prophetic it was and how little the language has changed. Good day.

I said "Good Day, Sir!!" - a real person in 2016 and not an industrial revolution candy bar baron

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

art critic: the men in manet's "luncheon on the grass" are painted in drab colors that cause them to fall away to the background, drawing the all male salon viewers focus to the naked women bathed in light. they become objects of voyeuristic pleasure while the two clothed gentlemen chat amongst themselves.

scribblescratch: you just used all theses buzzwords cause you have no rebuttal to what i said

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
scribblescratch please just own up to the fact that there is sexism in art, especially in this thread. like its better to actually own up to this than to literally be claiming that feminist critique of art is just "buzzwords"

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

There is everything in art.

And there's no point in censoring any of it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus christ get over yourself. nobody's telling you to ~censor~ anything. people telling you that something is sexist isnt censorship.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

What part of that prompted 'get over yourself'?

And there hasn't been any sexist art in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Scribblehatch posted:

There is everything in art.

And there's no point in censoring any of it.

There are a lot of reasons people might censor themselves in art, and a big and reasonable one is accessibility and marketing. I am perfectly cool with casual nudity because of life drawing, and it made sense to include it in my work if need be, but when I consulted my super liberal studio they told me to ere on the side of caution and exclude it because it would limit which advertisers could be alongside my work if I went that route.

The big issue here is that you're digging your heels in and arguing about this--if you just said 'I draw topless rail thin anime chicks and it is absolutely fap material', I severely doubt that this argument would have persisted past a single page, but instead you're trying to convince people who absolutely have a point to concede that you're not drawing stuff specifically so that you or other people can jerk to it. It's really easy, here, I'll do it first:

Hi, I draw a lot of PG stuff that is publicly available, but I also have a patreon account where I absolutely draw fap material for people wiling to pay for it. The subjects of that material are both men and women and are voted on or requested by patrons, and every single one of them is objectified and portrayed in a way that draws the eye to specific assets. That is its function, it gets me money, it's fun to draw and I'm not pretending it's classy and professional work. I'm also not invested in forcing other people to agree that it is classy professional work. I also have the good sense not to post it in a thread where people will ask what the gently caress I was thinking.

See? Not too hard, and I don't think anyone is going to pick a fight with me over this statement. Now you try it!