Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blinkz0rz posted:

Just be smart and be as restrictive as possible with your dependencies, audit package updates, and have a reliable rollback plan. Also npm shrinkwrap is your friend.

Well yeah, that's exactly what you should do with things like python as well.

The point is that even when applying the same policy to npm as you do to python, you may end up actually doing something different because the amount of your code that depends on frequently updating modules is going to be vastly different in python-land than it is in node-land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

qntm posted:

So you hold a weekly shaming session for developers in your own organisation?

It's a joke.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

speng31b posted:

It's a joke.

These are engineers you're talking to in here. They don't understand lighthearted joking around with your colleagues.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Thermopyle posted:

These are engineers you're talking to in here. They don't understand lighthearted joking around with your colleagues.

I do but I still thought he was serious because this is the Something Awful Programming Forum we're talking about here and would it really be that shocking if this was true?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

If you think that public shaming of coworkers isn't something plausible for some programmers at some companies to do regularly then you overestimate the empathy of a lot of programmers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I had to deal with some butthurt for showing internal code in an antipattern talk that was two years old and written by somebody that I know had left the company.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you think that public shaming of coworkers isn't something plausible for some programmers at some companies to do regularly then you overestimate the empathy of a lot of programmers.

Well I guess this is true. I forgot that I've picked up other hints about this poster from his other posts around the forum that would lead me to believe he was just playing around.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Terrible cultures force better, more tolerant ones to accommodate the lowest common denominators of awful. Nothing unique to engineers.

Thermopyle posted:

So, whether the same policy works for a python app as for a js app depends on how much importance your organization gives to various factors.
I remember a company on a huge defense contract asked for node.js (in 2013) installed on production servers to run their application and everyone else just looked at each other stifling laughter. Problem was that all your dependencies must get scanned too and each reported vulnerability addressed unless the code was on the list of pre-scanned platforms (Python 2.7.2, Java 6, nothing else), so they would have needed to have the Node.js source evaluated by an external auditor. They didn't last very long on that contract.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Sorry. I am bad at joking and full of regret. I'm generally not a jerk to my coworkers. I work hard to be basically a decent person in the workplace!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I interpreted it as shaming Node devs/bozos in/from the open source "community."

Not all Node developers.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Observations after a week of preparatory research for returning to programming:

1. VS Code is kind of amazing. Granted, this is coming from someone who last programmed AS3 in Adobe Flash (RIP) and PHP/CSS/JS in WordPress using Notepad++.

2. C++ seems the best starting point but I feel like I'm just poking it with a long stick right now before the sleeves get rolled up.

3. I still prefer dead tree books to websites for things like commentary on usability, code snippets/"cookbooks", and tutorials/refreshers.

Programming might be a young person's game but every work/social environment needs a 'cool dad'. :corsair:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

2. C++ seems the best starting point but I feel like I'm just poking it
Programming might be a young person's game but every work/social environment needs a 'cool dad'. :corsair:
Can confirm, this describes one of my coworkers and he's great to have around. C++ is a huge can of worms, good luck.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
My God, Google does not mess around with food. I have another interview with a startup that is exactly what I want to do but it's going to be hard to pass up that perk.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

muon posted:

My God, Google does not mess around with food. I have another interview with a startup that is exactly what I want to do but it's going to be hard to pass up that perk.
Get an offer, then tell both of them that you're having trouble because the other one is really compelling for the respective reason, get better offers, flip a coin, then do the thing that you wish the coinflip had turned up.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

2. C++ seems the best starting point but I feel like I'm just poking it with a long stick right now before the sleeves get rolled up.

3. I still prefer dead tree books to websites for things like commentary on usability, code snippets/"cookbooks", and tutorials/refreshers.
One other note--be careful with older C++ books. Idiomatic C++ has changed a lot beginning with the C++11 spec and continuing since then.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

muon posted:

The food is nice but you can always buy food with money.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ralith posted:

Get an offer, then tell both of them that you're having trouble because the other one is really compelling for the respective reason, get better offers, flip a coin, then do the thing that you wish the coinflip had turned up.

Google wasn't willing to negotiate on my offer. :shrug:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Google wasn't willing to negotiate on my offer. :shrug:

Did you have a better offer to use as leverage?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

muon posted:

Yeah, depending on the office it can be pretty excellent. My MTV colleagues actually complain about how lackluster their food is compared to NYC. Such a smart perk too, because it doesn't actually cost that much per head when you're cooking for an entire site, and it encourages people to come to work and interact instead of turning into WFH cave trolls.

There's a bunch of warm and fuzzy language about "encouraging collaboration and spontaneous interaction between teams", but really 90% of the perks and office design is about how if you make your office environment as enjoyable a place to be as one's home, people will be happy to be at work for longer periods. Also helps recruiting, brand, etc.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Yeah, depending on the office it can be pretty excellent. My MTV colleagues actually complain about how lackluster their food is compared to NYC. Such a smart perk too, because it doesn't actually cost that much per head when you're cooking for an entire site, and it encourages people to come to work and interact instead of turning into WFH cave trolls.

There's a bunch of warm and fuzzy language about "encouraging collaboration and spontaneous interaction between teams", but really 90% of the perks and office design is about how if you make your office environment as enjoyable a place to be as one's home, people will be happy to be at work for longer periods. Also helps recruiting, brand, etc.

Getting lunch with sister teams and other people outside the people I normally work with is really loving useful, its not total bullshit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I had to deal with some butthurt for showing internal code in an antipattern talk that was two years old and written by somebody that I know had left the company.

I tend to use my own old code for this kind of thing, if I have some laying around that works as an example (there's plenty to choose from! :v:) Sidesteps the sensitives, lets people know they can poke fun a bit.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

apseudonym posted:

Getting lunch with sister teams and other people outside the people I normally work with is really loving useful, its not total bullshit.

Yeah, I just meant that there's lots of benefits beyond the proverbial black swan of two engineers from different teams invent the next gmail because they had lunch together. I am pro free delicious food and treating employees nicely in case that wasn't clear.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

asur posted:

Did you have a better offer to use as leverage?

I didn't, no, and I'm sure this kind of thing varies from one situation to another. Good luck in any case!

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I didn't, no, and I'm sure this kind of thing varies from one situation to another. Good luck in any case!

No, it doesn't. Google will only update their offer if they get new information, like an offer from another company.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

muon posted:

I just started my second week and I haven't been to all of the cafes yet. I'm really grateful that the choice to eat a variety of healthy foods is easy to make, and on the other hand I can grab free soft serve whenever I want. Plus the time not spent preparing my meals is time I'm spending on my work laptop exploring all the internal knowledge or doing busywork forms while watching Netflix, which sounds weird but it's nice to feel like I can get things done at my convenience and feel good no matter where I am.

If you want to know everyone you work with and have a bigger piece of the pie, the startup will be the best option. If you want to nerd out over minor performance advantages that disappear in a sea of others but could nonetheless save thousands of dollars or more at scale, you can't beat the wealth of internal resources at Google. More important than the free food, I feel, is the clean, beautiful version control system we have here, and the fact that your odds of running into frustratingly awful code is next to none.

It must be a tough choice, as there is a great deal of potential with both options. I'm the kind of guy that's afraid to build something from the ground up, and would rather expand on existing infrastructure. Some people are excited to create something entirely new and all their own. I hope you find your best match!

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

Yeah, depending on the office it can be pretty excellent. My MTV colleagues actually complain about how lackluster their food is compared to NYC.

Wow, I need to watch out for excuses to visit NYC-9TH because I'm still processing the fact that i can have an "energy salad" and scrambled eggs and egg whites and a wee smoothie and some kind of hash for breakfast

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Stinky_Pete posted:

More important than the free food, I feel, is the clean, beautiful version control system we have here, and the fact that your odds of running into frustratingly awful code is next to none.
Interesting. I have a friend at Google who says one of their systemic problems is that engineers are measured by the impact they make, so they game the system by getting products out the door that have great impact, get recognized for the impact, then move on to other projects so they can avoid the low-impact & boring work of cleaning up the massive amount of Tech Debt they accumulated along the way. This results in a horrible codebase and lack of knowledge about how it works since the author has moved elsewhere. So many systems end up crushed under their own weight of Tech Debt, and then someone decides to rewrite the whole thing... and now you have two systems; "works but unmaintainable", and "beautifully written but Not Ready Yet".

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
What's the best way to handle a super promising job that turned out to be utterly bland and in which I'm powerless?

I got hired by a guy whose Surveillance Economy startup uses one of my open source projects with some song and dance about how I'd be doing a bunch of automation and dev work and helping modernize their operations and take them from "A bunch of shell scripts" to all the latest magic. It instead turns out to be half-rear end IT Ops in which I'm on-call in very weird and lovely schedules, the existing ops folk do not share the dream of automation (since shell scripts work fine what do you mean it takes 4 hours to deploy), and I've gotten to write precisely 5 lines of code. Oh and they want to use Docker for some reason even though precisely none of their services would benefit from it, and don't bother any of the existing ops or dev people, they're busy keeping the existing house of cards running and cranking out ~features~.

I'd rather not just immediately quit since I started just a few months ago after an 8 month break in employment for some family stuff, but god drat I have no idea how to make them realise that scalability and reliability are features too, and I can't just magic up some Docker and poop out a perfectly formed infrastructure on their plates.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Urit posted:

What's the best way to handle a super promising job that turned out to be utterly bland and in which I'm powerless?

I got hired by a guy whose Surveillance Economy startup uses one of my open source projects with some song and dance about how I'd be doing a bunch of automation and dev work and helping modernize their operations and take them from "A bunch of shell scripts" to all the latest magic. It instead turns out to be half-rear end IT Ops in which I'm on-call in very weird and lovely schedules, the existing ops folk do not share the dream of automation (since shell scripts work fine what do you mean it takes 4 hours to deploy), and I've gotten to write precisely 5 lines of code. Oh and they want to use Docker for some reason even though precisely none of their services would benefit from it, and don't bother any of the existing ops or dev people, they're busy keeping the existing house of cards running and cranking out ~features~.

I'd rather not just immediately quit since I started just a few months ago after an 8 month break in employment for some family stuff, but god drat I have no idea how to make them realise that scalability and reliability are features too, and I can't just magic up some Docker and poop out a perfectly formed infrastructure on their plates.

:sever:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

apseudonym posted:

The food is nice but you can always buy food with money.
Free food around all the time is soooo niiiiiice. Now that I'm used to it I'm not sure I can give it up.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Urit posted:

I'd rather not just immediately quit since I started just a few months ago after an 8 month break in employment for some family stuff, but god drat I have no idea how to make them realise that scalability and reliability are features too

You're the expert, and that's why they sought you out. If they can't manage themselves well enough to take your advice, gently caress 'em.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

minato posted:

Interesting. I have a friend at Google who says one of their systemic problems is that engineers are measured by the impact they make, so they game the system by getting products out the door that have great impact, get recognized for the impact, then move on to other projects so they can avoid the low-impact & boring work of cleaning up the massive amount of Tech Debt they accumulated along the way. This results in a horrible codebase and lack of knowledge about how it works since the author has moved elsewhere. So many systems end up crushed under their own weight of Tech Debt, and then someone decides to rewrite the whole thing... and now you have two systems; "works but unmaintainable", and "beautifully written but Not Ready Yet".

Ehhh... Both? Google is like the quantum superposition of tech stacks. All things are amazing and terrible at the same time.

Although as someone who works outside MTV it is kinda funny watching all these amazing internal tools slow to a crawl around lunch time in California.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Urit posted:

The mature thing to do is to actually go to the person that might have misled you and say you want to do something about the situation or that you want that person to help out. You should probably have some line items of things you're willing to do in exchange for cooperation from others. In all probability, they probably scammed you slightly into taking a job below your actual skill level and needed someone to make up for really bad technical debt that wouldn't have happened in most cases. So the response there that is necessary (and one I took after a situation not that different from yours) is to get out. Those kinds of jobs are career cancer and AIDS rolled into one because you're really not learning anything helpful or useful as a professional nor as an engineer. Being able to handle poo poo mentally can be done without sacrificing skill advancement.

It's an even worse feeling when you're the freakin' team lead and have no power and no money to hire people that you could actually use and instead get more managers put on your team that objectively do not help your team get out from the technical debt that makes daily work miserable and monotonous.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

We really need to start a googns mailing list.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Paolomania posted:

We really need to start a googns mailing list.

#cobol on internal IRC

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

b0lt posted:

#cobol on internal IRC

Hah, about IRC: the new company I joined is using slack for team members to communicate. We also have skype for business. Everyone uses whatever they want. Anyway, i thought about slack: how is it better than IRC? What can it do that IRC can't? I can use it just fine, but the client is quite annoying. I'd love to be able to pick whatever client I want (out of thousands).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volguus posted:

Hah, about IRC: the new company I joined is using slack for team members to communicate. We also have skype for business. Everyone uses whatever they want. Anyway, i thought about slack: how is it better than IRC? What can it do that IRC can't? I can use it just fine, but the client is quite annoying. I'd love to be able to pick whatever client I want (out of thousands).

It's not better than irc. The value add is your IT people don't need to rear end with it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Code snippets with highlighting, inline images (most importantly gifs), file sharing, encrypted connections, compliance archiving, viewing channel history from before you joined or were not logged in, fantastic search, etc. I'm sure these are all things that you can duct tape onto irc, but with Slack it just works.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It actually is better than IRC for the reason that in practice, it's an acceptable tool for basically everyone in the company, not just engineers and a few others, and IRC isn't.

Whether or not you think people scared or intimidated or confused by IRC are idiots doesn't really matter; if a communications tool is not broadly adopted, it is inherently less useful.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Slack brings most of the value of IRC that most of us nerds have enjoyed for decades to the masses and makes it possible for us to pretend to work while sitting in IRC debating about dickgirls.

Also, you can hook up your favorite IRC clients and bouncers to your Slack channels if your admin enables the IRC gateway. Good luck getting that in a no-fun corporate environment but at most companies not paranoid about security it should be fine. I think the IRC gateway can be setup to require SSL transport anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

leper khan posted:

It's not better than irc. The value add is your IT people don't need to rear end with it.

The IT department having one less thing to worry about I can buy (and while I don't know how much slack costs, its probably cheaper than maintaining an IRC server). About the rest of the company adopting the tool, couldn't care less about. If I need to speak with the administrative assistant, I can just send her an email.