Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

neongrey posted:

yeah like I have only done a fraction of a raid ever but it really seems "listen to the loving com" is more important than the exotic/asc divide could ever be. Pinks are nice to have but that's about it.

always listen to the com, especially when I say get to my tag after forgetting that I made everyone turn em on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
There are now crates in the raid lobby that you can interact with. I've found 3 so far and one splashes water, one explodes and the final one gives off a poisonous cloud thing.
No clue what these are for and they seem new. I've not seen it mentioned yet on reddit.

edit: someone on reddit pointed out Historian Tranton is a completely different guy the 2nd time you visit him for the new cheevo stuff.

2nd guy:

:iiam:

Lonk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 6, 2016

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Lonk posted:

There are now crates in the raid lobby that you can interact with. I've found 3 so far and one splashes water, one explodes and the final one gives off a poisonous cloud thing.
No clue what these are for and they seem new. I've not seen it mentioned yet on reddit.

edit: someone on reddit pointed out Historian Tranton is a completely different guy the 2nd time you visit him for the new cheevo stuff.

2nd guy:

The crates in raid lobby are not new. There was a post shortly after the lobby was introduced. I thought it may have somethign to do with the kingdom of zeal from Crono Trigger, which has an outpost with three books that make water, air, and fire, but nothing seems to have come of it so far.

here it is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4fse2t/aerodrome_secret_boxes/

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

2nd guy:

bloodstones steal souls in the first image the guy is ginger in the second he's not

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
but gingers don't have souls?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Elona would be nice. I'm a sucker for desert settings and a few of my characters already look Elonan (especially my Rev on the end there, land spears when):

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

jjac posted:

5% stats times 10 team members means you can lose up to half idiot

This is not how math works

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zokie posted:

:thejoke:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The only raid i have done was with goons. Due to my playtimes it is difficult for me to join the goon raid so before i raided with goons i was considering joining a PUG raid. They all had requirements such as full ascended, having a ton of LIs (requirements ranged from 25 to 100) and requiring a meta build. PUGs have no idea of the skill level of random players and only have their gear to go on, as such it is only natural that they want players to have full ascended to maximise chances of success. Maybe the raid mechanics doesn't require ascended but the community certainly does to an extent.

Of course some players are able to do the raids in lower quality gear than ascened. If the raids REQUIRED ascended gear for the best players in the world then extremely few players would ever be able to complete the raid. Tuned for ascended means that your slightly above average group that is organised and puts in a little bit of effort can successfully complete the raids.

Maybe saying ANET is pushing people to raid is a bit of an exaggeration but they do contain exclusive stuff of interest to most players:

-Legendary armor only comes from raids. Why? Legendary weapons requires quest chains, collections, lots of time and are largely soloable. They can even be bought on the TP! Why do legendary armor only come from raids? Its not like raiders needs this armor to complete raids, as the stats as the same as ascended. "only raiders needs epix" is one of the most common MMO clichés used by raiders to lord over non-raiders but is not applicable here. As a non raider that do a lot of different types of content i would love to have legendary armor so that i can change the stats to what is apropriate for the content i am doing. I use vipers, berserkers, valkyrie, commanders and celestial on my light armor characters. Having all that stuff in 1 armor set would be great. Having legendary armor gated behind raids seems to me to be a way to get people to raid.

-You still need to raid to get a full set of accessories with HoT stats. The LW3 zones have remedied this a bit but does not allow you to get a full set. The HoT stats are meta for other content than raids so why are they gated behind them? Why should someone that raids be able to perform better in fractals than someone that does not?

-If you want to max out your masteries you need to get a raid kill at some point to unlock the last mastery track. This has been discussed in this thread before but is even more relevant now now that you get spirit shards every time you "level up" after maxing your masteries. If you have not raided and unlocked the last mastery track you do not get these spirit shards. ANET could easily fix this by not requiring the raid mastery track to get the spirit shards but they have not and have given no indication they will.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The thread has fallen through a time vortex and landed just after HoT launch! Hopefully someone remembers the exact date and time of all the gigantic racism in video games derails so they can be avoided.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
raids are retarded. i thought hte point of guidl wars games is you don't have to deal with poo poo like that

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

A Major Fucker posted:

I don't like things that others like and they shouldn't have them

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The thread has fallen through a time vortex and landed just after HoT launch! Hopefully someone remembers the exact date and time of all the gigantic racism in video games derails so they can be avoided.

We were in a golden age of the thread, riches everywhere, children laughing and playing, wine overflowing. Now the barbarians are at the gates of Rome DR...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's me, I'm a barbarian.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

zokie posted:

agreed

bonuses are multiplicative, it's way higher than 50%

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Mercurius posted:

Elona would be nice. I'm a sucker for desert settings and a few of my characters already look Elonan (especially my Rev on the end there, land spears when):

I like the mix of heavy armor on your Rev. Looks pretty good

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The raid looks cool. My schedule is in flux and I ain't got ascended, but some day I'll run though it once and realize that this is not the type of content I want.

Though if there wasn't a raid I don't think I'd bother getting ascended.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mercurius posted:

Your elementalist(?) on the left is wearing the same top/bottom combo mine is and in similar colors. They look great together.

What gloves are those?

jjac posted:

5% stats times 10 team members means you can lose up to half idiot

zokie posted:

I sure hoped :thejoke:, but you never know on The Internet. I felt it better not to ask.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Oh hey look 225 posts since i last re-

Ohhh boy, not diving into that pile of garbage.

So what exactly do you miss out on if you don't raid? Just a mastery track and some sweet legendary skins?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There's also a set of weapon skins and some other armor pieces I think you can only get with the raid currency?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
All you really miss out on by not raiding is exclusive weapon/armor skins and minis. It's also necessary for making Legendary Armor but since that's not coming out anytime soon you can not worry about that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I raid regularly (my fridge included) and let me assure you that you are not missing out on anything significant (ham included)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Kessel posted:

I raid regularly (my fridge included) and let me assure you that you are not missing out on anything significant (ham included)

This. And I sincerely hope it stays this way. I'm happy with having content for high skill level players to not have anything mechanically gated behind said content.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Kessel posted:

I raid regularly (my fridge included)

Ah yes, the Arus maneuver.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

Ah yes, the Arus maneuver.

No, that's me running into enemy zergs, surviving long enough to drop all five traps, then smugly bragging on mumble that I saved the day

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally this, I'm not sure what that poster above saw, but GW2's community is annoyingly nice at times. This thread can be worse! :v:

In fact the only dicks around are usually us, and even that is just hand waved away with nothing more than a "oh it's those goons being goony again". If you told me this was a Canadian MMO i would completely buy it.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The only reasonable solution to the raid trinket problem is to make them bind on equip so they can be sold to non-raiders on the trading post.

At current Ghostly Infusion exchange rates they come to about 80g in magnetite shards, that is, four to five times the opportunity cost of a ring, accessory, or amulet bought with the cheapest option between laurels and guild commendations (not including rings bought with pristine fractal relics since you need 150 AR to even enter the fractal lobby these days, am I right?)

It's costly but that's the price you need to pay so you can have 10 bleed stacks go to waste when a trash mob dies instead of a measly 9 and a half thanks to your shameful Sinister trinkets.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Blasphemeral posted:

Your elementalist(?) on the left is wearing the same top/bottom combo mine is and in similar colors. They look great together.

What gloves are those?

I sure hoped :thejoke:, but you never know on The Internet. I felt it better not to ask.
Aetherblade gloves, I think. Be warned, they take dye really weirdly and I think I had to use some of the expensive dyes that change saturation to get them matching the rest. And yes, elementalist :).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Ineptitude posted:

-If you want to max out your masteries you need to get a raid kill at some point to unlock the last mastery track. This has been discussed in this thread before but is even more relevant now now that you get spirit shards every time you "level up" after maxing your masteries. If you have not raided and unlocked the last mastery track you do not get these spirit shards. ANET could easily fix this by not requiring the raid mastery track to get the spirit shards but they have not and have given no indication they will.
They really should have put the raid masteries in their own little category instead of putting them in the HoT section with all the normal ones.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's probably technical - then you wouldn't be able to advance those masteries with hot xp

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
this is neat https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/567int/gw2_launchbuddy_v10_out_of_beta/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Careful about putting your account info/password in there, it's not uniquely hashed or keyed to your machine and the encryption key is stored with the launchbuddy thing itself, so it's basically unsecured. And two-factor is good on your GW2 account but has been proven to not always work in the past.

Like pretty much every software developer these days, this one doesn't give a poo poo about security :rolleyes:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

that's why you should just use it for picking launch options and the auth server with the lowest ping

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
If someone maxes out Tyria masteries do they get spirit shards from Tyria experience?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

knowonecanknow posted:

If someone maxes out Tyria masteries do they get spirit shards from Tyria experience?

Yup, I am currently maxed out on Tyrian masteries and get spirit shards. Can't be bothered to do HoT content.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I almost wish it just gave you spirit shards even if you were missing mastery points, all the exp I'm wasting by doing Tyrian events instead of getting the last few points there is nagging at me

not enough to do the LS2 achievements, of course, but still

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Illuyankas posted:

I almost wish it just gave you spirit shards even if you were missing mastery points, all the exp I'm wasting by doing Tyrian events instead of getting the last few points there is nagging at me

not enough to do the LS2 achievements, of course, but still

I'm just completely out of Mastery Points. I have everything that I want unlocked, but I hate "wasting" all that potential EXP. It just goes into the aether.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It actually deters me from doing events sometimes when I'm just running through the world, cause they have no rewards I care about - a waypoint's worth of change and a rounding error of karma really isn't much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Welp I guess this year marks my transition from hip young internet cowboy to dinosaur because I've barely had the urge to even log in for daily rewards the last couple weeks, let alone any any sort of group content. I choose to step gracefully onto the iceberg and let my fond memories of wvw shoutheal zergbombs keep me warm before I sleep the long sleep. I'll probably log on every now and again, maybe do the odd fractal or something.

Thanks to all you wonderful goons for the memories, this was definitely the best community I've been a part of. Later nerds.

• Locked thread