Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Brawnfire posted:

I'm at a coffee shop trying to read and this woman has literally been sneezing once every ten seconds. This is not an exaggeration.

Go home, take a shower, lie down.

I've been allergy sneezing all day, it drives me (and everyone around me) mad. What a ridiculous human immune response sneezing is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Intoluene posted:

Unless the restroom is completely devoid of life, I will never be comfortable making GBS threads at work. Hearing a phone conversation would just make me stop mid turd until it was finally over.

I used to work in a place where men would regularly go into the toilets while chatting on their mobiles, and use the urinals (still on the phone). What the poor sod on the other end made of all the background pissing, farting and flushing noises I dread to think.

I mean, WHY?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Intoluene posted:

Unless the restroom is completely devoid of life, I will never be comfortable making GBS threads at work. Hearing a phone conversation would just make me stop mid turd until it was finally over.

I do the opposite and let fly with whatever gross noises end up happening, because for gently caress's sake, it's a bathroom and not a phone booth or someone's private office. Got a problem with it? Finish your business and call them back, stupid rear end in a top hat.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

genetic_knockout posted:

Once again I am on the bus and it's giving me more ammo. This bus absolutely loving reeks of dirty, festering, unwashed person. I don't know which of these loving degenerates is causing it, but it's totally unbearable. I'm at the point where I don't care about being polite, I'm just straight up plugging my nose. Showering, people. Do it every day!!

publictransportation.txt

Whenever I rode the bus, I would keep a little thing of honey in my bag, so I could put it under my nose whenever a homeless bum/ literal crazy person would sit near me. Also headphones, because I don't want to listen to some old ladies speakerphone conversation with her daughter or some poo poo.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008
Any interaction that goes somewhat like this:

Person A: I have a problem!
Person B: Have you tried doing XYZ? (Where XYZ is a reasonable suggestion based on whatever Person A has previously said)
Person A: How dare you suggest that when Numerous Special Snowflake conditions, which I have unaccountably failed to mention because by God you should have read my mind, apply?

Bloody hell. If you want a problem solving, then give people the information; if you just want to vent and get some sympathy, say so. I can understand both those positions. Don't get snappy because someone's inadvertently suggested something that doesn't work.

Or maybe I'm just extra grumpy because I had to share a bus with various people who smelled like they'd just run a marathon wearing a Santa outfit in June.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Who doesn't like making GBS threads at work, dropping a deuce on the clock owns

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Work toilet paper doesn't though

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gloryhold It! posted:

Is it really paper when it's still closer to tree bark?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gloryhold It! posted:

We had a toilet paper thief at an old job. It was the cheapest scratchiest stuff, like just a step above those brown "paper" towels they had in school bathrooms. Every week without fail like half the rolls would just disappear. They had to keep them in a locked cabinet eventually and it was always a standoff on who has the embarrassing task of asking the secretary for the key when the roll in there runs out.

I never got it, toilet paper isn't that expensive, and if you absolutely must steal it there were much better quality sources nearby. Even the gas station had better stuff.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
So the hot guy I was complaining about a few days ago has a really bad habit of loudly and constantly biting his fingernails. Lots of grody mouth-smacking and chewing noises going on over there. It is kind of a weird blessing though, because this makes him waaay less hot to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm prone to nosebleeds so the most common way I deal with them when out is find a public bathroom for some paper hand towels. Work used to have some good towels but now they only have air dryers, which don't work anyway in my experience, and are useless in a nosebleed situation. If I have a nosebleed at work now, unless I've remembered to bring a small pocket packet of kleenex, I'm screwed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For work this week I had to make a network account with another company and the security questions were all things like "what is your favorite movie" and "what is your car's license plate number." Ugh. Thats trash.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Security questions in general are stupid garbage.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Especially when they're "favorite" questions. I can't remember what my favorite movie was when I opened this account. I don't mind the "what is the model of your first car" or "what's your dad's first name" because those are fairly immutable.

Peeve: people who stare. I'm not a particularly gorgeous, flamboyant, or otherwise unusual person but MAN people stare. Maybe I'm hypersensitive but when I'm out running, I get stared at all the time. At first I thought it was my super-cool reflective vest and headlamp, but it happens regardless of whether I'm wearing them or not. Like they can't fathom someone going faster than walking pace down the street. Today a guy stared at me as I got out of my car to go to work. He wasn't leering or flirting, just staring with a blank look on his face as someone talked to him. Maybe the other person was just so boring that his eyes happened to glaze over in my direction, but it was awkward. Staring is always awkward.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Especially when they're "favorite" questions. I can't remember what my favorite movie was when I opened this account. I don't mind the "what is the model of your first car" or "what's your dad's first name" because those are fairly immutable.

Peeve: people who stare. I'm not a particularly gorgeous, flamboyant, or otherwise unusual person but MAN people stare. Maybe I'm hypersensitive but when I'm out running, I get stared at all the time. At first I thought it was my super-cool reflective vest and headlamp, but it happens regardless of whether I'm wearing them or not. Like they can't fathom someone going faster than walking pace down the street. Today a guy stared at me as I got out of my car to go to work. He wasn't leering or flirting, just staring with a blank look on his face as someone talked to him. Maybe the other person was just so boring that his eyes happened to glaze over in my direction, but it was awkward. Staring is always awkward.

On the flip-side of this, (not saying you're paranoid or anything) people who think you're looking at them when you're looking in their direction. I was glancing periodically at the bathroom door at a cafe because I had to pee and was waiting for the person in it to leave. When the person came out of it, I looked up and she glared at me and did that "wtf" neck thing. I didn't even make eye contact with her or anything, just looked towards the bathroom.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Peeve: people who stare.

You may just live in an area with a greater than average number of schizophrenics?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm prone to nosebleeds so the most common way I deal with them when out is find a public bathroom for some paper hand towels. Work used to have some good towels but now they only have air dryers, which don't work anyway in my experience, and are useless in a nosebleed situation. If I have a nosebleed at work now, unless I've remembered to bring a small pocket packet of kleenex, I'm screwed.

You've heard of toilet paper, right? It's a thing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Sit-down restaurants where you're supposed to pay up front but nobody tells you. :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Noctone posted:

You've heard of toilet paper, right? It's a thing.

Yes but toilet paper is less absorbent due to thinner paper, so it sometimes takes half a roll due to the blood soaking through it at light speed. When I'm at home I use kitchen towel for that reason, less gets wasted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stop getting nosebleeds at work that's a health hazard

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
if you're regularly getting nosebleeds so bad that you would need half a goddamn roll of even the shittiest toilet paper to stop them, you might want to umm see a doctor

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There's a service I can no longer access because I entirely forgot my password and the answer to the security question. I probably put in some garbage because in my experience no one ever called for these. And even if I did answer honestly there are a lot of different ways the answer could be worded so I'm not sure to get a match anyway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Similar to this, passwords that require numbers or capital letters. Not on principle, but because it's for the dumbest poo poo. No, I don't care about the security of my branded headphones software update account or whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta posted:

I loving hate Dreamforce. No idea what it is and no interest in finding out. All I know is once a year the downtown area is full of these lovely people wearing stupid backpacks and doing some bullshit.

Dreamforce is here and it's a poo poo show. Stop looking at your loving phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSK14mQHp4

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Similar to this, passwords that require numbers or capital letters. Not on principle, but because it's for the dumbest poo poo. No, I don't care about the security of my branded headphones software update account or whatever.

My university password, while important, had way too many rules. The standard numbers+capital letters thing, one special character, no repeating adjacent characters (e.g. two a's in a row), no dictionary words, and you had to change it every 6 months and the new one can't be any of your old ones. Also if you don't change it before the deadline your account gets locked and you have to call their support services, which is a pain in the rear end when you're overseas and just want to print your transcripts.

I understand security is important and I guess college students in general are dumb and need to be handheld into making a good password, but at some point it just gets excessive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Noctone posted:

if you're regularly getting nosebleeds so bad that you would need half a goddamn roll of even the shittiest toilet paper to stop them, you might want to umm see a doctor

They have been a lot less bad since I did go to the doctor a few years ago. They are far less frequent and far less severe than they used to be since I had my nostrils cauterised, but they still crop up when subjected to extremes of temperature (IE suddenly entering a hot building in midwinter), and they can still get messy if particularly bad. As a result, thermal underwear is my enemy, as I learned the hard way once :P

Edit for context - they used to be 30-minute-to-hour-long Carrie-esque nightmares, now there 10-15 minutes of mild blood loss followed by a few final minutes of cleanup.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My university password, while important, had way too many rules. The standard numbers+capital letters thing, one special character, no repeating adjacent characters (e.g. two a's in a row), no dictionary words, and you had to change it every 6 months and the new one can't be any of your old ones. Also if you don't change it before the deadline your account gets locked and you have to call their support services, which is a pain in the rear end when you're overseas and just want to print your transcripts.

I understand security is important and I guess college students in general are dumb and need to be handheld into making a good password, but at some point it just gets excessive.
My university password is like this. But you also can't make your new password too similar to the old one, so you can't just increment a number at the end or something like that. And you have to change every three months. I doesn't have the deadline thing, fortunately, and it'll even let you continue logging into most things without changing it. I realise I need to change it when Gmail gives me the message saying it can't check my school email account any more, because that's basically the only thing I use that actually enforces it.

I don't know what they think such extreme security is necessary for anyway. Who wants to log into my university account? What for?

Speaking of university, here's another peeve: exclamation marks outside of dialogue. It always looks dumb, and for some reason it's really common in textbooks right from primary school through university. It seems like one of those things that you should be taught in primary school English class - don't use exclamation marks outside of dialogue, and even then, probably don't use them.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

update on noisy man:

is there anything about this that can gently caress us over, or anything I should know before agreeing/sending this back?

he hasn't made much noise since our meeting with the main office, and since they told him to not have his grills on his balcony (they're gone and I have no idea where they went but okay)... we were wondering if he left already, to be honest.

now the noise is just kids

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For the last few days Facebook has been showing me this poo poo all the time:

I've clicked the "not interested" button on every single one of them multiple times but they keep coming back.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Oct 7, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

For the last few days Facebook has been showing me this poo poo all the time:

I've clicked the "not interested" button on every single one of them multiple times but they keep coming back.

Oh okay I thought I had done something weird to invite that...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

These are all exactly the rules we have to deal with at work, except it changes every three months. And also the rule checker might possibly be broken, because my supervisor and I have both been incapable of using a password that should by all rights work.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My master work password has similar requirements, but I use it all the time so it's fine. There's another service that I very very rarely have to use, which has similar but not identical requirements. It does the same thing where if you don't change it every three months, you have to call tech support and get your manager involved in resetting it. Pain in the rear end.

The worst part is, though, that I went to change it the other day and got an error: "Invalid new password format." Um...no, pretty sure I'm following all the rules. Tried again. "Invalid new password format." Tried a new scheme, totally separate from my normal one. "Invalid new password format." Went back to the original, in case I typed it wrong. "Invalid new password format. Account locked. Please contact administrator." SON OF A BITCH.

This was a Friday, so the following week after I'd involved tech support and management to get unlocked and reset, it turned out that my format and everything had been totally fine. The actual issue had been with my old password, which had somehow expired faster than I thought and so was invalid. What the hell? What good is an error message if it gives completely misleading information?

--

Also, carrying groceries in from the car. Heavy bags, trying to find all the fridge stuff to put it away first, the societal pressure to be a man and carry everything in one trip, the shame at not being able to carry everything in one trip, my sneaky-rear end cat trying to get out...miserable part of an otherwise not-too-bad chore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

walrusman posted:

Also, carrying groceries in from the car. Heavy bags, trying to find all the fridge stuff to put it away first, the societal pressure to be a man and carry everything in one trip, the shame at not being able to carry everything in one trip, my sneaky-rear end cat trying to get out...miserable part of an otherwise not-too-bad chore.

There's a delivery service locally that I use sometimes for groceries, and the selection isn't always ideal, and it's often more expensive than I like when you figure in the tip for the shopper. (Which I don't begrudge them one bit, but it is an extra cost to consider)

But goddamn if it isn't worth it sometimes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

walrusman posted:

Bag your fridge/freezer stuff together then it's pre-sorted when you get home I'm a huge prick

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The "Windows is checking for a solution to this problem"/ "would you like to file an error report?" poo poo every time something crashes. I would bet money that nobody looks at those because 99+% of people clicking yes are just people trying to get the error to go away and the reason is invariably "firefox is a bloated piece of poo poo browser".

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

walrusman posted:

My master work password has similar requirements, but I use it all the time so it's fine.

I've got one at work that has to be 15 characters long with letters, numbers, capitals, special characters, and cannot be your last three passwords. Luckily it's only used for training so when I have to use it I just hit the "forgot password" link, get emailed a new one and move on.

walrusman posted:

My wife bought a big insulated bag from Costco and will throw a lot of groceries into it to carry up to the house. My suggestion is to buy carabineers (with a comfortable handle if you can find it) keep them latched to that netting poo poo they put in the back of every car now and just link the bags on that and hold it by the carbineer. Get 4-5 of them for when you inevitably forget to bring them back to car when you leave the house.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what they think such extreme security is necessary for anyway. Who wants to log into my university account? What for?

I always figured it was less a security thing, and more a shutting down bullshit thing. Little Timmy or Tina Undergrad wants to claim they got hacked in the hope of getting an extension? Maybe wants to accuse a professor of shenanigans and cause a pain in the rear end investigation? Well gently caress that, make all passwords Pentagon level and take all that nonsense off the table.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

The "Windows is checking for a solution to this problem"/ "would you like to file an error report?" poo poo every time something crashes. I would bet money that nobody looks at those because 99+% of people clicking yes are just people trying to get the error to go away and the reason is invariably "firefox is a bloated piece of poo poo browser".

I wonder if Windows has ever found a solution to any problem ever. It's certainly never worked for me. Troubleshooter is an even bigger waste of time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of my professors graduated from Yale and she mentions something about Yale at least once every class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
People who don't have their orders ready when they get to the front of the line at a fast food place.

"Okay, so we'll have a Meal 1 (oh wait, does that include this and that? No? Okay, so we'll have This and That, and a burger (wait, I want mayo, make that a This with mayo), and then :words: :words: :words:"

The dude always seems appreciative when I'm next, and all I want is a plain cheeseburger and a small fry.