Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mutata posted:

Any! Just looking for general call-outs for just the building or crafting systems. It doesn't even have to be a good game overall.

I assume you're already familiar with all the common Minecraft/Terraria/ect stuff.

Well, if you life crafting, looking into the Atelier games for the Vita/PS3. In particular Atelier Ayesha/Escha+Logy/Shallie are all about crafting poo poo and are pretty fun. There's also Atelier Sophie for the PS4 which has a great crafting system but is kinda bland otherwise.

Dragon Quest Builders comes out on PS4 next week and is pretty much like Minecraft + Actual Goals + Dragon Quest Spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've only played a little of Kingdom Rush on steam, but I just booted up Dungeon Warfare for some screencaps, so!

Here's the main map screen. Each icon is a map, and they have varying layouts and paths and so on. The ones on the right get very, very difficult and you can see where I'm still figuring out how to solve the later maps.

Every map has these difficulty modifier runes. You can toggle on as many or as few as you'd like, and one of them is Endless mode - or easy mode.

Setting up a level is like this:

You pick from your available traps, plonk them down around the level, and killing heroes gets you more resources which you use to build more traps. So it's kind of resource management - buy more dart traps, or upgrade them, or save up for the sawblades or thunderbolt traps. You can earn XP through the levels to power-up traps too, and it gets fairly complex.

I like it a lot!

Very cool, looks like a similar progression to Kingdom Rush but with more classic gameplay. I'm giving it a buy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Quest For Glory II posted:

heres a cat i saw on twitter

There is a cat in my hometown that looks like this, but it is also 1/2 manx cat so it has a tiny bob tail and longer legs. It's beautiful and friendly and let me rub its belly and it probably cost someone like $1000 dollars to breed, it's a fancy cat.

mutata posted:

Ok! Games with fun, expressive, and/or creative crafting or building systems?

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is fun but you will need a 360 or an xbox one to play it. It was released for 360 but it's in the Rare collection for the xbone. You make various kinds of vehicles for vehicular platforming and racing tasks, there's a nice amount of variety to the kinds of tasks you have to complete and the levels are pretty.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wuppo is a great game but the grind in Popocity is loving AWFUL. AWFFFFULLLLLLL

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

the last of us is incredible

it's a good movie but i'd like it a lot more if it just started in the post-ap part

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have Last of Us on my PS3 and the only reason I've not gotten round to it yet is because I have the uncharted trilogy to play first. That, coupled with the fact that I am so poor at the shooting in Uncharted and can't finish it means that it'll probably go in my month of not having played good games next year.

I want to like uncharted and I do enjoy the exploration and puzzles, but when the fighting happens I groan and die over and over.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also thank you to the people who suggested things for the other months. I am afraid I am not doing Boss Month (because I'd have to be decent enough to reach bosses) so I'm going for my own things.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there are many games that are just essentially boss rushes. No More Heroes 1 and 2, Furi, Alien Soldier, Shadow of the Colossus, plus the boss rush modes of like Kirby and Castlevania games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Alternatively, just play Persona 4 the entire month

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Contra Hard Corps is basically a boss rush after the first five minutes. Uh, I probably wouldn't suggest it for anyone who's not that great at games though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Looper posted:

there are many games that are just essentially boss rushes. No More Heroes 1 and 2, Furi, Alien Soldier, Shadow of the Colossus, plus the boss rush modes of like Kirby and Castlevania games
and Bleed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops can't read

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
video games status: im starting to not enjoy video games anymore

is this what getting older feels like. i just want to play a dice game now with my grandma

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I an old and still enjoy videogames

Also my grandma is sadly no longer with us.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I have fond memories of playing dominos with my grandma :unsmith:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nothing wrong with enjoying games with your gram-gram

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'd love to, but the age has caught up with her mind some time ago, and it's just not the same. :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally an Abuse clone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhoQljEmEP0

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

is this what getting older feels like. i just want to play a dice game now with my grandma

I have the same problem. I can't sit down for hours and play SP games anymore.
Then I played Doom.

And all is well in the world again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have decided on my final list for "Gaming in the Year 2017".

Japanuary - Jrpgs and games from Japanese developers.
Fpsbruary - 1st person shooters only.
March! - RTS/Grand Strategy games
April Scours - Metroidvanias and Exploration games.
May Day! - Twin Stick Shooters/Shootemups
Randomly Junerated - Roguelikes and procedurally generated games.
Boo-ly - Spooky/scary/fearful games in the summer
Au-gust - Golden Oldies. Games older than 2010 that I've never played and should have.
Searchtember - Point and Click/Hidden object games.
Coin-optober - Arcade Games.
Novelember - Visual Novels/Story Centric Games.
Indiecember - Indie Games.

I think all of those should provide for a varied and exciting year. All of the games I play will be ones I have never played. I will play predominately PC games but I also own a PS3, a PS Vita, a New3DS and a WiiU. I will also have a thread for it where people can tell me which game I should be playing or comment on how bad I am doing. I may even record video (I tried a bit of dark souls the other day and it didn't go as well as I'd like so I have a few months to get the skills down).

If anyone has any game recommendations for the months then please let me know! I think it's going to be an interesting 365 days! I'd like to buy a brand new game for each month too, so if one that fits is released then I'll get it! (I've not bought brand new games in years - thanks sales!)

Roll on :2017:!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I played Slime Rancher yesterday and it stole 5 hours from me with it's adorableness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kirby Superscare! posted:

Au-gust - Golden Oldies. Games older than 2010 that I've never played and should have.

I think all of those should provide for a varied and exciting year. All of the games I play will be ones I have never played. I will play predominately PC games but I also own a PS3, a PS Vita, a New3DS and a WiiU. I will also have a thread for it where people can tell me which game I should be playing or comment on how bad I am doing. I may even record video (I tried a bit of dark souls the other day and it didn't go as well as I'd like so I have a few months to get the skills down).

If anyone has any game recommendations for the months then please let me know! I think it's going to be an interesting 365 days! I'd like to buy a brand new game for each month too, so if one that fits is released then I'll get it! (I've not bought brand new games in years - thanks sales!)

I can't accept any list that has the horror games not in October, sorry.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I can't accept any list that has the horror games not in October, sorry.

This is what makes it fun! Going against the norm!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

try playing good games grandpa

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTpGk3nT0Y&t=72s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZIXxlyiBWA
"the best thing is that they put quotes from negative reviews on the box"

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 6, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I need to stop buying King of Fighters games because nobody plays them in Europe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Good morning, how is everybody doing today?

I hope everybody has been having a good week so far! :D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Good morning, how is everybody doing today?

I hope everybody has been having a good week so far! :D
i caught a cold after the funeral i went to i think. i played a lot of Halfway (TBS game) and i'm at the last third of the game and it's really frustrating now, like enemies with crazy high armor and crazy good aiming while my 91% chance shot misses

im gonna eat a cough drop and play some picross 3d round 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFZdB28Fpy0&t=2432s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Nowadays I just play grindy games that I can sit down and focus on for 2 to 3 hours at a time. I don't have the patience to play story heavy games anymore and most of them aren't that fun or interesting anyways. Playing a lot of Diablo 3 and Mortal Kombat X currently.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've only played a little of Kingdom Rush on steam, but I just booted up Dungeon Warfare for some screencaps, so!

Here's the main map screen. Each icon is a map, and they have varying layouts and paths and so on. The ones on the right get very, very difficult and you can see where I'm still figuring out how to solve the later maps.

Every map has these difficulty modifier runes. You can toggle on as many or as few as you'd like, and one of them is Endless mode - or easy mode.

Setting up a level is like this:

You pick from your available traps, plonk them down around the level, and killing heroes gets you more resources which you use to build more traps. So it's kind of resource management - buy more dart traps, or upgrade them, or save up for the sawblades or thunderbolt traps. You can earn XP through the levels to power-up traps too, and it gets fairly complex.

I like it a lot!

I have enjoyed some tower defense games, but ultimately I have ideological beef with how most of them are scored: I want to be rewarded for killing enemies with the most efficiency. Most tower defense games reward you for killing enemies as late as possible. I get that this is like a core element of the genre, but I think it's dumb.

Are there any tower defense games that reward killing quickly rather than keeping enemies alive as long as possible before killing them?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks to a gift from a friend, I've been really getting back into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. He bought me the Afterbirth DLC. That really got me hooked. The only character I don't have unlocked is The Lost but I'm finally at a point where I can consistently get to Boss Rush and sometimes to Hush. I doubt I'll truly 100% the game but unlocking stuff slowly has actually been real enjoyable, instead of just downloading a 100% save like I know a few friends have done.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am playing Order of Ecclesia again and I had to bitch out of Hard mode because I think when I did the level 1 hard mode back in the day it was on new game + with all my equipment and glyphs. Trying to just beeline hard mode with a new save resulted in dying a fuckton in that first forest because everything does a third of your health in damage and they threw in a bunch of super fast randomly spawning flying skeleton monsters that are large and mimic the medusa head's pattern.

I am going to get the medals for the bosses, though Maneater's didn't drop the first time for some reason.

Also think I'm going to end the month of Castlevania by playing Nanobreaker and Folklore, the former since it's one of the few games IGA made that wasn't a Castlevania during that time period and the latter because I've never beaten it and I remember it having a Aria/Dawn like ability system where you get abilities from monsters. Also Folklore was the first PS3 game I ever had and I never played more than like three chapters on each character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most people I notice going "i'm getting tired of video games" usually aren't tired of video games, they're just aging past the point they'll play almost anything that comes out and solidifying into a few games or genres they really enjoy. Which isn't a bad thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who say they are getting tired of video games have confused feeling tired of video games and that feeling you get where you have a billion games but don't feel like playing any of them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

i caught a cold after the funeral i went to i think. i played a lot of Halfway (TBS game) and i'm at the last third of the game and it's really frustrating now, like enemies with crazy high armor and crazy good aiming while my 91% chance shot misses

im gonna eat a cough drop and play some picross 3d round 2

Picross 3D Round 2 looks like a good game and I had fun with the demo and I hope that in several years I'll be able to get it for cheaper. Idk when the first one is showing up on the wii u eshop or not tho

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Whenever somebody says "I'm tired of videogames" I die a little inside.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My advice to anyone in any situation would be to buy and play video games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kirby Superscare! posted:

It defies clean categorization, but please play Freedom Force if you haven't already.

It's RTS-like I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

My advice to anyone in any situation would be to buy and play video games

I might pick up Bravely Default 2 today or tomorrow because I'm nearly done with the DQ7 post game.

• Locked thread